Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Religion same as other protected classes?

realatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 5:38:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A lot of people seem to think that religion should be treated the same as things like race and sex. Their is a fundamental difference. The evidence is out there for you to look at to see that religion is unfounded and you can change. Sex and race are very different you don't really have a choice in that, and should not be deemed less for it. But just because you believe a book that has no evidence that it should be trusted does not mean you should be respected for your opinions as much as someone who actually educated themselves.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 6:09:38 PM
At 6/22/2012 5:38:17 PM, realatheist wrote:
A lot of people seem to think that religion should be treated the same as things like race and sex.

Sex is more fun.

Their is a fundamental difference. The evidence is out there for you to look at to see that religion is unfounded and you can change.

So Hitler did okay because the Jews could have changed?

Sex and race are very different you don't really have a choice in that, and should not be deemed less for it.

Should I be deemed less because of my religious position?

But just because you believe a book that has no evidence that it should be trusted does not mean you should be respected for your opinions as much as someone who actually educated themselves.

Oh, I get it now. The people who go around forcing you to respect the opinions of blacks and gays shouldn't also force you to respect the opinions of Jews. Makes perfect sense.
realatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 6:14:41 PM
Should I be deemed less because of my religious position? Yes you should, a person who beieves a dead guy walked and was born of a virgin is the son of some sky daddy, should not be allowed into any intelligent conversation of the start of the universe.

Second, the jews were not just the religious jews, but the culture. No one should be killed for their belief its just that we should not treat it as equal to actual educated fact based stuff and need to get it out of the conversation.
DanteAlighieri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 6:39:00 PM
I don't mind debating religion in the public square, but you are advocating almost sounds like you want to restrict general religious expression and protections. That is an extremely dangerous line of reasoning to go down.
realatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2012 6:41:51 PM
At 6/22/2012 6:39:00 PM, DanteAlighieri wrote:
I don't mind debating religion in the public square, but you are advocating almost sounds like you want to restrict general religious expression and protections. That is an extremely dangerous line of reasoning to go down.

In a perfect world yes, I would do with religion what we do with other beliefs that are unfounded, teach them they are wrong. Like if you believe the earth is square, you should be taught you are wrong. If you think a dead man rose from the dead 2000 years ago the education system should teach you that it does not happen. Is this really that complicated. I know in reality, this will not happen overnight, but this is the world I would want to live in where truth trumphs belief.