God's Name Jehovah in Original Writtings

Knologist_Prime
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 11:21:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Divine Name in the Christian Greek Scriptures. Rbi8 p. 1D 1564

"Jehovah." Heb;(YHWH or JHVH) It is evident that the Tetragrammaton in Hebrew characters was used in both the Hebrew text and the Greek Septuagint. Therefore, whether Jesus and his disciples read the Scriptures in either Hebrew or Greek, they would come across the divine name. In the synagogue at Nazareth, when Jesus rose and accepted the book of Isaiah and read 61:1, 2; where the Tetragrammaton occurs twice, he pronounced the divine name. This was in accordance with his determination to make Jehovah's name known as can be seen from his prayer to his Father: "I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world. . . . I have made your name known to them and will make it known."—Joh 17:6, 26.

There is evidence that Jesus' disciples used the Tetragrammaton in their writings. In his work De viris inlustribus [Concerning Illustrious Men], chapter III, Jerome, in the fourth century, wrote the following: "Matthew, who is also Levi, and who from a publican came to be an apostle, first of all composed a Gospel of Christ in Judaea in the Hebrew language and characters for the benefit of those of the circumcision who had believed. Who translated it after that in Greek is not sufficiently ascertained. Moreover, the Hebrew itself is preserved to this day in the library at Caesarea, which the martyr Pamphilus so diligently collected. I also was allowed by the Nazarenes who use this volume in the Syrian city of Beroea to copy it." (Translation from the Latin text edited by E. C. Richardson and published in the series "Texte und Untersuchungen zur Geschichte der altchristlichen Literatur," Vol. 14, Leipzig, 1896, pp. 8, 9.)

Matthew made more than a hundred quotations from the inspired Hebrew Scriptures. Where these quotations included the divine name he would have been obliged faithfully to include the Tetragrammaton in his Hebrew Gospel account. When the Gospel of Matthew was translated into Greek, the Tetragrammaton was left untranslated within the Greek text according to the practice of that time. Not only Matthew but all the writers of the Christian Greek Scriptures quoted verses from the Hebrew text or from the Septuagint where the divine name appears. For example, in Peter's speech in Ac 3:22 a quotation is made from De 18:15 where the Tetragrammaton appears in a papyrus fragment of the Septuagint dated to the first century B.C.E.

As a follower of Christ, Peter used God's name, Jehovah. When Peter's speech was put on record the Tetragrammaton was here used according to the practice during the first century B.C.E. and the first century C.E. Sometime during the second or third century C.E. the scribes removed the Tetragrammaton from both the Septuagint and the Christian Greek Scriptures and replaced it with Kyrios, "Lord" or Theos, "God."

Concerning the use of the Tetragrammaton in the Christian Greek Scriptures, George Howard of the University of Georgia wrote in Journal of Biblical Literature, Vol. 96, 1977, p. 63: "Recent discoveries in Egypt and the Judean Desert allow us to see first-hand the use of God's name in pre-Christian times. These discoveries are significant for N[ew] T[estament] studies in that they form a literary analogy with the earliest Christian documents and may explain how NT authors used the divine name. In the following pages we will set forth a "theory" that the divine name, (and possibly abbreviations of it), was originally written in the NT quotations of and allusions to the O[ld] T[estament] and that in the course of time it was replaced mainly with the surrogate [abbreviation for Kyrios, "Lord"]. This removal of the Tetragram[maton], in our view, created a confusion in the minds of early Gentile Christians about the relationship between the ‘Lord God' and the ‘Lord Christ' which is reflected in the MS tradition of the NT text itself."

We concur with the above, with this exception: We do not consider this view a "theory," rather, a presentation of the facts of history as to the transmission of Bible manuscripts.""" – End of Reference Material.

My commentary:: How can these so-called wise-guys, say it's a ‘theory' when the evidence of God's Name IS present on the original copies of the oldest copies found concerning scripture that directly documents God's Name, when they can compare the unfaithful changes after other inferior copies of the same scriptures can be compared, literally and factually?

Since they can see with their eyes the artifacts, and feel with their own hands the artifacts and comprehend with their own minds the artifacts, then how is it they say ‘theory' and not FACT as to the clear and deliberate wanton hiding and obfuscation of the Divine Name, JEHOVAH?

Do you think Jesus, Son of God would love anyone disrespecting his Father and God, Jehovah? (John 7:7) "The world has no reason to hate YOU, but it hates me, because I bear witness concerning it that its works are wicked."

‘Jehovah always catches the wise in their own cunning!' (1 Corinthians 3:19, 20) "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God; for it is written: "He catches the wise in their own cunning." (20) And again: "Jehovah knows that the reasonings of the wise men are futile.""

"Khan. I'm laughing at the superior intellect!" - James T. Kirk. With the deepest disdain toward those who hate the truth of God's Name, here is Jehovah's view of their actions.

(Psalm 68:1) "Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered, And let those who intensely hate him flee because of him." (Psalm 97:10) "O YOU lovers of Jehovah, hate what is bad…." (Psalm 139:20-22) "Who say things about you according to [their] idea; They have taken up [your name] in a worthless way—your adversaries. (21) Do I not hate those who are intensely hating you, O Jehovah, And do I not feel a loathing for those revolting against you? (22) With a complete hatred I do hate them. They have become to me real enemies." (Proverbs 6:16-19) "There are six things that Jehovah does hate; yes, seven are things detestable to his soul: (17) lofty eyes, a false tongue, and hands that are shedding innocent blood, (18) a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet that are in a hurry to run to badness, (19) a false witness that launches forth lies, and anyone sending forth contentions among brothers." (Amos 5:14, 15) "‘Search for what is good, and not what is bad, to the end that YOU people may keep living; and that thus Jehovah the God of armies may come to be with YOU, just as YOU have said. (15) Hate what is bad, and love what is good, and give justice a place in the gate. It may be that Jehovah the God of armies will show favor to the remaining ones of Joseph.'" (John 3:20) "For he that practices vile things hates the light and does not come to the light, in order that his works may not be reproved."

These are just a few scriptural principles that are binding on true Christians to follow, because it would be written in their hearts; you know, really studying God's Word and applying it as woven into their persona. That's being Christ-like. You can't fake that.

(John 15:18-24) "If the world hates YOU, YOU know that it has hated me before it hated YOU. (19) If YOU were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because YOU are no part of the world, but I have chosen YOU out of the world, on this account the world hates YOU. (20) Bear in mind the word I said to YOU, A slave is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will persecute YOU also; if they have observed my word, they will observe YOURS also. (21) But they will do all these things against YOU on account of my name, because they do not know him that sent me. (22) If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. (23) He that hates me hates also my Father. (24) If I had not done among
Truth, is bias." - Knologist-Prime
"Words, means, things." - Knologist-Prime
"The Rules of Grammar in any Language, MUST be obeyed." - Knologist-Prime
"Artifacts are FACTS." - Knologist-Prime