Jump to topic:

Speaking in Tongues

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 7:24:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Glossolalia, also known as speaking in tongues, is incomprehensible speech that occurs primarily in the Pentecostal sect of Christianity but also in Paganism, Shamanism, and Voodoo.

What is your opinion of it? Do you think it reduces to learned behavior, is a psychological phenomenon, or constitutes general, weak evidence of the supernatural?

Go to 7:30 on the video for a sound sample of the "ela-hando-satelay-eek-condele-mosandrey-aseya..."
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 7:29:21 PM
At 6/24/2012 7:24:37 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Glossolalia, also known as speaking in tongues, is incomprehensible speech that occurs primarily in the Pentecostal sect of Christianity but also in Paganism, Shamanism, and Voodoo.

What is your opinion of it? Do you think it reduces to learned behavior, is a psychological phenomenon, or constitutes general, weak evidence of the supernatural?

Go to 7:30 on the video for a sound sample of the "ela-hando-satelay-eek-condele-mosandrey-aseya..."

I would say it is one of the more dubious occurances in the Supernatural world.
WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 7:35:26 PM
Sounds like the way my mom described her alcoholic stepdad. He supposedly 'found' god and could speak in tongues. I don't really believe in it, but if you do, more power to you.
Invalid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 7:54:33 PM
"This power came over me". I just barfed a little.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 7:56:31 PM
At 6/24/2012 7:24:37 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

It is incomprehensible speech but it isn't totally outlandish speech. People often use these specific phonemes when they "speak in tongues." Why doesn't it sound like Japanese, Hawaiian, or English? All these rolling r's and sh's. As if god prefers certain phonemes- and only very few of them.

I think it's nonsense and extremely weak evidence for the supernatural.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 8:08:20 PM
I'll bet there are atheists somewhere that can do the same thing. Just take some voice lessons or learn a few languages. Not seeing what's so spiritual about it, unless I'm missing something.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 8:12:03 PM
There is no need for speaking in other tongues or languages today. To assert the need for it is to ultimately deny the all-sufficiency of the Bible by implying that some other "confirmation" of something is needed. Some of it is probably fake - and known to be fake by the "tongue-speaker." The rest is still fake - the product of expectation/ecstacy. That's why VooDoo'ers and others do the same thing. So do ppl on high doses of xanax mixed with alcholol.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:07:37 PM
At 6/24/2012 8:08:20 PM, MouthWash wrote:
I'll bet there are atheists somewhere that can do the same thing. Just take some voice lessons or learn a few languages. Not seeing what's so spiritual about it, unless I'm missing something.

Anybody can do it. That's the thing. If you try it right now, you will be able to do it. It's a very small set of phonemes they use.

I mean even babies babble for crying out loud. That's their thing.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:33:59 PM
I wonder if there is a Christian on this site who believes strongly that speaking in tongues is a language between himself and God.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:39:35 PM
http://www.godlessgeeks.com...

#95.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:47:05 PM
At 6/24/2012 9:31:12 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
I think the emotional feeling comes from adrenaline.

I used to be a Christian who was part of an Assemblies of God church, and I went to Christian summer camp where we worshiped by singing, closing our eyes, and raising our hand in surrender. It felt really good, yet it required a great deal of focus. When I started to doubt various parts of the religion at age 14, I tried playing a secular song about love, learning the lyrics, and singing it as passionately as the song I sang at camp, and sure enough, those same feelings accompanied the singing.

Andrew Newberg, a leading neuroscientist, has written a book on the subject. It's entitled How God Changes Your Brain. I couldn't read the chapter online that specifically dealt with what you were referring to, but in the chapter 3, he writes that "We'll tell you how God becomes neurologically real and show you how different neurochemicals and drugs alter your spiritual beliefs."
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:47:19 PM
At 6/24/2012 9:39:35 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

#95.

lol you love that thing.

I want to say it was WSA who said this...

Some lady made him look at her baby to prove god exists. "here, look at my baby."

ARGUMENT FROM BABY
1.)I have a baby
2.)Therefore god exists
:
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:51:41 PM
At 6/24/2012 9:47:19 PM, Oryus wrote:

lol you love that thing.

Some lady made him look at her baby to prove god exists. "here, look at my baby."

ARGUMENT FROM BABY
1.)I have a baby
2.)Therefore god exists

lol, yep. Gotta love them middle-aged Hispanic women!
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:52:02 PM
At 6/24/2012 9:47:05 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/24/2012 9:31:12 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
I think the emotional feeling comes from adrenaline.

I used to be a Christian who was part of an Assemblies of God church, and I went to Christian summer camp where we worshiped by singing, closing our eyes, and raising our hand in surrender.

Damn... imagining you as a Christian is like imagining a Sikh royalpaladin, or a stupid Roy...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:53:27 PM
At 6/24/2012 9:39:35 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

#95.

lol you love that thing.

ARGUMENT FROM BABY
1.)I have a baby
2.)Therefore god exists

LOL. Why I hate people.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:57:01 PM
At 6/24/2012 9:51:41 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

lol you love that thing.

ARGUMENT FROM BABY
1.)I have a baby
2.)Therefore god exists

I have to. I was raised by them :P

Speaking of middle-aged Hispanic women, here are two more I've heard from em:

ARGUMENT FROM "BUT THE BIBLE IS AWESOME"
1.) The bible teaches good principles
2.) Therefore god exists

and, my personal favorite:

ARGUMENT FROM "BABY, NO!"
1.) But you gotta believe in god, honey
2.) Therefore god exists
:
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:57:54 PM
At 6/24/2012 9:52:02 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Damn... imagining you as a Christian is like imagining a Sikh royalpaladin, or a stupid Roy...

I sometimes use it as a bragging right with other atheists (e.g. "Yeah, you guys had enlightened parents. I was raised in the faith from day 1, went to church 3 times a week, ready my bible every day, and STILL managed to think my way out of it).

When your parents tell you something is true for the entirety of childhood, your surrounded by people, culture, and society who believe the same, and you have your beliefs validated by a man talking to you on Sunday about it, you'll tend to believe it for a while. Religiosity, racism, bigotry, most learned attitudes and behaviors may all have strong associations with upbringing. However, it is your duty to self to find out what is true, and to shed the distorted beliefs of the past in search of enlightenment.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 9:59:27 PM
At 6/24/2012 9:57:01 PM, Oryus wrote:

lol you love that thing.

ARGUMENT FROM BABY
1.)I have a baby
2.)Therefore god exists

2.) Therefore god exists

2.) Therefore god exists

I remember how my Grandmother used to use #2 for EVERYTHING lol. Once, my grandfather on the other side totally PWNED her by pointing out everything wrong with her statement. It should have been on PPV.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 10:01:29 PM
At 6/24/2012 9:59:27 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/24/2012 9:57:01 PM, Oryus wrote:

lol you love that thing.

ARGUMENT FROM BABY
1.)I have a baby
2.)Therefore god exists

2.) Therefore god exists

2.) Therefore god exists

I remember how my Grandmother used to use #2 for EVERYTHING lol. Once, my grandfather on the other side totally PWNED her by pointing out everything wrong with her statement. It should have been on PPV.

hahaha That's funny. My grandma doesn't appeal to logic. My only response was, "No, YOU have to believe in god. I don't." She still thinks I believe in god.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 10:02:04 PM
haha oh man, I guess I didn't realize I didn't say so but my grandma actually was the one who said the second one XD
:
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 10:02:09 PM
"I sometimes use it as a bragging right with other atheists (e.g. "Yeah, you guys had enlightened parents. I was raised in the faith from day 1, went to church 3 times a week, ready my bible every day, and STILL managed to think my way out of it)."

Well, you had a "one-up" because you didn't really worship with Christians - you worshipped with a group of tardos who actually thought they were mumbling some unintelligible jibberish either to man or to God (or both). Such makes infidels (and mentally ill, I think). I admit that such. I'd have left too.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 10:05:32 PM
At 6/24/2012 9:57:54 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/24/2012 9:52:02 PM, MouthWash wrote:

I sometimes use it as a bragging right with other atheists (e.g. "Yeah, you guys had enlightened parents. I was raised in the faith from day 1, went to church 3 times a week, ready my bible every day, and STILL managed to think my way out of it).

When your parents tell you something is true for the entirety of childhood, your surrounded by people, culture, and society who believe the same, and you have your beliefs validated by a man talking to you on Sunday about it, you'll tend to believe it for a while. Religiosity, racism, bigotry, most learned attitudes and behaviors may all have strong associations with upbringing. However, it is your duty to self to find out what is true, and to shed the distorted beliefs of the past in search of enlightenment.

http://www.facebook.com...
Your story reminded me of how Matt Dillahunty wanted to be a preist, but when he researched the religion he lost his faith.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 10:09:17 PM
At 6/24/2012 10:02:09 PM, annanicole wrote:

Well, you had a "one-up" because you didn't really worship with Christians - you worshipped with a group of tardos who actually thought they were mumbling some unintelligible jibberish either to man or to God (or both). Such makes infidels (and mentally ill, I think). I admit that such. I'd have left too.

No one at my church did glossolalia. We just sang the lyrics of Christian songs passionately and felt good. They were pretty typical Christians.

I played guitar for the big Sunday services every week, and I got to sit on stage and look out into the sea of people. Every month or so, this one Portuguese lady in the audience would interrupt a slow, worship song by speaking as if she was God. Sometimes she would say things like, "Be still and know that I am the LORD!" and othe times she would say things like, "Love one another." If I knew as much about evaluating evidence, identifying charlatans, and had my negative stance on religion back then, when she would say, "Be still and know that I am the LORD!" I would reply, "Prove it." "Do some flips or something. Cure cancer, heal everyone's maladies in South Florida."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 10:13:20 PM
I'd have called the cops on her for being a public nuisance - disrupting the worship service with her nonsense. Such would be acceptable and even encouraged in many Assemblies of God, though. I can't figure out how the same Holy Roller women (usually) get "tongues" so often and so regularly though, kinda like a menstrual period.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 10:17:17 PM
At 6/24/2012 10:14:24 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
Lol @
ARGUMENT FROM IDIOCY
(1) I am an idiot.
(2) Even an idiot can see that God exists.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

bahaha I don't know. I think Argument from Baby is still my favorite :P
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 10:19:55 PM
inferno:

ARGUMENT FROM FALLIBILITY
(1) Human reasoning is inherently flawed.
(2) Therefore, there is no reasonable way to challenge a proposition.
(3) I propose that God exists.
(4) Therefore, God exists.
:
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 10:20:46 PM
At 6/24/2012 10:19:55 PM, Oryus wrote:
inferno:

ARGUMENT FROM FALLIBILITY
(1) Human reasoning is inherently flawed.
(2) Therefore, there is no reasonable way to challenge a proposition.
(3) I propose that God exists.
(4) Therefore, God exists.

can't reason with dat =/