Jump to topic:

Sex

WriterSelbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 7:25:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've been wondering about this for a while, so I'm just gonna throw my thought process out here:

In the Bible, sex, sexual thoughts, masturbation, and provocative indecency are wrong. One must be married before engaging in acts like this, and it must be for the pro-creation of children.

But at the same time, animals can engage in this behavior, do not have weddings or anything of the like, and suffer no consequences for it.

One might say this is because animals don't go to heaven, so it's fine. But why is it that animals don't go to heaven? Because they don't have sentience? However, we really can't prove whether or not they have sentience because we can't communicate with them, and this isn't necessarily because they can't communicate. We just can't understand them, so we can't tell whether they're saying anything anyway.

So, let's assume for a moment that every animal today is actually very similar to the human in that they are highly evolved life forms with sentience, but we don't know it. Now, making an observation, we will see animals exhibiting voyeurism and blatant sexuality, yet there is no shame in the act, and to us, it is considered natural and instinctual. Yet when looking back at ourselves, it is wrong and sinful.

So, does this mean that it's ok for animals to be blatantly sexual because of our belief that they lack sentience? Or does it mean that if animals do have sentience that they'd go to hell for not being married and being indecent? If all creatures really do have sentience or whatever it is that makes us morally responsible for our actions, why is it that it is considered part of life for other animals but not for humans?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2012 7:57:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/24/2012 7:25:07 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
I've been wondering about this for a while, so I'm just gonna throw my thought process out here:

In the Bible, sex, sexual thoughts, masturbation, and provocative indecency are wrong. One must be married before engaging in acts like this, and it must be for the pro-creation of children.

But at the same time, animals can engage in this behavior, do not have weddings or anything of the like, and suffer no consequences for it.

One might say this is because animals don't go to heaven, so it's fine. But why is it that animals don't go to heaven? Because they don't have sentience? However, we really can't prove whether or not they have sentience because we can't communicate with them, and this isn't necessarily because they can't communicate. We just can't understand them, so we can't tell whether they're saying anything anyway.

So, let's assume for a moment that every animal today is actually very similar to the human in that they are highly evolved life forms with sentience, but we don't know it. Now, making an observation, we will see animals exhibiting voyeurism and blatant sexuality, yet there is no shame in the act, and to us, it is considered natural and instinctual. Yet when looking back at ourselves, it is wrong and sinful.

So, does this mean that it's ok for animals to be blatantly sexual because of our belief that they lack sentience? Or does it mean that if animals do have sentience that they'd go to hell for not being married and being indecent? If all creatures really do have sentience or whatever it is that makes us morally responsible for our actions, why is it that it is considered part of life for other animals but not for humans?

The Fool: Weddings are pre-religion. They are not particluar to Religion or Government in anysense. I think most of the commandment were just a set of rules that made sense to follow at the time. They didn't have the established education and organized goverment at the time. Nore did have anyforms efficiant forms of communication. So mythology was the best way to get a people working togther. Population was important. Plague and wars could dwindle a population fast. Unfortunatly it worked too well.!
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL