Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Why is religion better than atheism?

Invalid
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 12:22:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM, Invalid wrote:
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?


First of all, i do not care for religion. I understand you and i may define it differently, given your understanding of theology, and your justified reservations due to the many different options (especially within Christianity). However, we have the right to proclaim our beliefs as right, whether they are or not, just like you have the right, to say we are wrong, and that "free-thinking" is better. (i assume you believe in such an ideal).

Also, we must be clear, on what tolerance means. I've never fought with, or harmed and non-believer. We've had disagreement, but 90% of the time, my intelligence, and morals, are disrespected or insulted arrogantly.

I know, personally, i can relate to most atheists a lot better then most Christians.. As, most of my company is that of non-believers or people who typically put such subjects on the back-burner.

I hold no ill will or personal hatred for such individuals; i believe God chooses his elect. I am just as miserable as most Christians describe atheists.. (maybe you will take a side of happiness). I do not feel i am in any position to judge who is, or is not, saved or in line with an elect persons, assumed, path.

If anything, i'm here %80 of the time, to speak to believers.. I'd like to touch base with the potentially saved. I can only hope, that something will click within an atheists mind, that will reflect a person convicted by the spirit, and help feed that persons soul, with the word of God.

My questions to you, is what gives you the right to challenge my beliefs? Why do utter insults (general question, maybe you do not do such a thing) to my brothers and sisters, as if we had a part in the crusades, or as if we participate in the disgusting acts of hatred toward any person (gay, atheist, humanist)?

I disagree, but i do not hate anyone.. If i hated people different then me, i would ignore you. I would not care for trying to help you think differently.. i would stick to my own kind.

Now, even thought i concentrate on the believer, i do not ever, shy away from an outsiders questions or (genuine) curiosity.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 12:32:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM, Invalid wrote:
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?

Very hesitant to comment on this. Cause "religion" covers such a diverse of beliefs everything from God sends earthquakes cause he don't like the gays to try and be nice to each other.

But I think you know the answer to your own question. To the believer there is a God, they know in some respect what God wants/demands..............FOR YOU !!! so they have to tell you.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 12:37:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM, Invalid wrote:
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?

To all atheists who are intolerant of religious people, what gives you the right to claim your views to be the right path?

How about we simply reject intolerance from either religious or atheist individuals?

Just some random thought.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 12:43:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm just gonna say that it's slightly irritating to always hear "atheist" used synonymously with "nonreligious".
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 12:57:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 12:43:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm just gonna say that it's slightly irritating to always hear "atheist" used synonymously with "nonreligious".

good point.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 1:13:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 12:43:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm just gonna say that it's slightly irritating to always hear "atheist" used synonymously with "nonreligious".

Deism, agnosticism, ignosticism, nontheism, religious skepticism, and freethought are all irreligious.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 1:17:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 12:43:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm just gonna say that it's slightly irritating to always hear "atheist" used synonymously with "nonreligious".

or science.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 1:42:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 12:37:36 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM, Invalid wrote:
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?

To all atheists who are intolerant of religious people, what gives you the right to claim your views to be the right path?

The Fool: a question for a question eh. ha. First things Second, God, has nothing to do with the problem, for if people believes in just a God, as being some higher power or creature, there would be no bad consiquences, Its when people start saying what God said, or what God wants, Or What God thinks, or What Gods rules are is then the problems arise. For all these rules are writtens by Humans and are claim made my humans about God or on his behalf.

If God wanted us to know something we would all know it, there would be no confusion. Are universal tools to knowing, our experiences(mental and physical) and logic/mathmatical, we can all see it and understand it, we have used the Bible for along time, and only bad has ever came out of it in the end. Athiest don't want to be pulled into that sh!t again. Its been tested out and it failed. So it can't be the product of a Good God. Gods are fine Bibles or (Big books) written by human proclaiming to know God words are bad. That is why people have a JUSTIFIED reason to be against the Religion portion.

How about we simply reject intolerance from either religious or atheist individuals?

The Fool: Because appealing to God for explainations has never got us anywere, if you go far enought in the past everything is explained by Gods. That is God explantions=ignorance. They hurt us as a whole, maybe there is a purpose to life, we learn more about the world over generations, its lazy just to assume that because we havent got it all figured our yet, so turn to a book written by people who have no idea of what they are talking about. None of it was meant to be interpretated, it was for a general non-educated audience with a first century understanding. Through it away..

Just some random thought.

The Fool: there is no such thing as a realy random thought.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 1:50:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Humanist Atheism lacks the spiritual. It's one thing to disbelieve in God, it's another to be a bare Atheist like most. The new Atheists focus too much on physicalism.

Sam Harris has the right idea cause he supplements his Atheism with Buddhist beliefs and practices. Even Richard Dawkins said he has a religious reverence for nature, but most Atheists look past that.

.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 2:38:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If I believed a particular set of beliefs were necessary to prevent eternal damnation, I'd be screaming it from the damned rooftops.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 9:33:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 2:38:00 AM, Maikuru wrote:
If I believed a particular set of beliefs were necessary to prevent eternal damnation, I'd be screaming it from the damned rooftops.

I agree here.
In fact directly to the OP, when you enter a country with civil laws, you are in fact expected to learn those laws on your own. There is literally an expectation by the civil authorities that determines what you do and how you live. There is no expectation that they come to you to ensure you are informed, but that you are expected to go to them to find out what is expected of the civil laws.

So literally when magistrates of religion are set in place to go and 'inform' the people about key specific repercussions of actions, this is a sign of a beneficent government or authority.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 3:32:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I can't say why religion is better,however , as a christian I can say that my beliefs allow me to believe that this life is only a temporary home. The fact that there is a certain emptiness in atheism that doesn't seem to be case in most religious people. I'm sure happines can be found in atheism but for me I must be a Christian. I tried life without God and was only happy in moments ( a 5 second org***, or a good buzz ) but now I find a richness in life previously unknown to me. I cannot imagine all the blessings I missed out on.
Invalid
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:02:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 12:22:52 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM, Invalid wrote:
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?


First of all, i do not care for religion. I understand you and i may define it differently, given your understanding of theology, and your justified reservations due to the many different options (especially within Christianity). However, we have the right to proclaim our beliefs as right, whether they are or not, just like you have the right, to say we are wrong, and that "free-thinking" is better. (i assume you believe in such an ideal).

Also, we must be clear, on what tolerance means. I've never fought with, or harmed and non-believer. We've had disagreement, but 90% of the time, my intelligence, and morals, are disrespected or insulted arrogantly.

I know, personally, i can relate to most atheists a lot better then most Christians.. As, most of my company is that of non-believers or people who typically put such subjects on the back-burner.

I hold no ill will or personal hatred for such individuals; i believe God chooses his elect. I am just as miserable as most Christians describe atheists.. (maybe you will take a side of happiness). I do not feel i am in any position to judge who is, or is not, saved or in line with an elect persons, assumed, path.

If anything, i'm here %80 of the time, to speak to believers.. I'd like to touch base with the potentially saved. I can only hope, that something will click within an atheists mind, that will reflect a person convicted by the spirit, and help feed that persons soul, with the word of God.

My questions to you, is what gives you the right to challenge my beliefs? Why do utter insults (general question, maybe you do not do such a thing) to my brothers and sisters, as if we had a part in the crusades, or as if we participate in the disgusting acts of hatred toward any person (gay, atheist, humanist)?

I disagree, but i do not hate anyone.. If i hated people different then me, i would ignore you. I would not care for trying to help you think differently.. i would stick to my own kind.

Now, even thought i concentrate on the believer, i do not ever, shy away from an outsiders questions or (genuine) curiosity.

Keep in mind those are your experiences alone, which don't define the entirety of the religious population. You claim atheism attacks Christianity, which I have seen in some cases, but Christian people (not all of them) do the exact same thing. It goes both ways.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens
Invalid
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:05:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 12:37:36 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM, Invalid wrote:
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?

To all atheists who are intolerant of religious people, what gives you the right to claim your views to be the right path?

How about we simply reject intolerance from either religious or atheist individuals?

Just some random thought.

I didn't claim atheism to be the right path did I? No, I simply asked why those who believe their religion is the right path to explain why they think so.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens
Invalid
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:09:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 1:50:56 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Humanist Atheism lacks the spiritual. It's one thing to disbelieve in God, it's another to be a bare Atheist like most. The new Atheists focus too much on physicalism.

Sam Harris has the right idea cause he supplements his Atheism with Buddhist beliefs and practices. Even Richard Dawkins said he has a religious reverence for nature, but most Atheists look past that.


.
.

Buddhism is actually the only religion I agree with because it encourages enlightenment, fulfillment of oneself. Spirituality doesn't necessarily mean to be religious.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens
Invalid
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:15:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 9:33:00 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/27/2012 2:38:00 AM, Maikuru wrote:
If I believed a particular set of beliefs were necessary to prevent eternal damnation, I'd be screaming it from the damned rooftops.

I agree here.
In fact directly to the OP, when you enter a country with civil laws, you are in fact expected to learn those laws on your own. There is literally an expectation by the civil authorities that determines what you do and how you live. There is no expectation that they come to you to ensure you are informed, but that you are expected to go to them to find out what is expected of the civil laws.

So literally when magistrates of religion are set in place to go and 'inform' the people about key specific repercussions of actions, this is a sign of a beneficent government or authority.

You're right, tell people not to kill, steal, covet etc. The laws taught by religions are defined as basic morality, and are pretty much common knowledge wherever you may go. In the U.K, a pregnant woman can legally take a piss anywhere she wants. I doubt the church is spreading that around though.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:26:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 7:02:30 PM, Invalid wrote:
At 6/27/2012 12:22:52 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM, Invalid wrote:
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?


First of all, i do not care for religion. I understand you and i may define it differently, given your understanding of theology, and your justified reservations due to the many different options (especially within Christianity). However, we have the right to proclaim our beliefs as right, whether they are or not, just like you have the right, to say we are wrong, and that "free-thinking" is better. (i assume you believe in such an ideal).

Also, we must be clear, on what tolerance means. I've never fought with, or harmed and non-believer. We've had disagreement, but 90% of the time, my intelligence, and morals, are disrespected or insulted arrogantly.

I know, personally, i can relate to most atheists a lot better then most Christians.. As, most of my company is that of non-believers or people who typically put such subjects on the back-burner.

I hold no ill will or personal hatred for such individuals; i believe God chooses his elect. I am just as miserable as most Christians describe atheists.. (maybe you will take a side of happiness). I do not feel i am in any position to judge who is, or is not, saved or in line with an elect persons, assumed, path.

If anything, i'm here %80 of the time, to speak to believers.. I'd like to touch base with the potentially saved. I can only hope, that something will click within an atheists mind, that will reflect a person convicted by the spirit, and help feed that persons soul, with the word of God.

My questions to you, is what gives you the right to challenge my beliefs? Why do utter insults (general question, maybe you do not do such a thing) to my brothers and sisters, as if we had a part in the crusades, or as if we participate in the disgusting acts of hatred toward any person (gay, atheist, humanist)?

I disagree, but i do not hate anyone.. If i hated people different then me, i would ignore you. I would not care for trying to help you think differently.. i would stick to my own kind.

Now, even thought i concentrate on the believer, i do not ever, shy away from an outsiders questions or (genuine) curiosity.

Keep in mind those are your experiences alone, which don't define the entirety of the religious population. You claim atheism attacks Christianity, which I have seen in some cases, but Christian people (not all of them) do the exact same thing. It goes both ways.

Of course they do not define the entire religious population; but they define enough.

Both are responsible for attacks; both are human. However, one is striving for a moral standard, and one is seeking to remove it. One says this is right and this is wrong; the other says, do what you want-- nothing is right or wrong (our society will thrice this way?)
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Invalid
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:56:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 7:26:30 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:02:30 PM, Invalid wrote:
At 6/27/2012 12:22:52 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM, Invalid wrote:
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?


First of all, i do not care for religion. I understand you and i may define it differently, given your understanding of theology, and your justified reservations due to the many different options (especially within Christianity). However, we have the right to proclaim our beliefs as right, whether they are or not, just like you have the right, to say we are wrong, and that "free-thinking" is better. (i assume you believe in such an ideal).

Also, we must be clear, on what tolerance means. I've never fought with, or harmed and non-believer. We've had disagreement, but 90% of the time, my intelligence, and morals, are disrespected or insulted arrogantly.

I know, personally, i can relate to most atheists a lot better then most Christians.. As, most of my company is that of non-believers or people who typically put such subjects on the back-burner.

I hold no ill will or personal hatred for such individuals; i believe God chooses his elect. I am just as miserable as most Christians describe atheists.. (maybe you will take a side of happiness). I do not feel i am in any position to judge who is, or is not, saved or in line with an elect persons, assumed, path.

If anything, i'm here %80 of the time, to speak to believers.. I'd like to touch base with the potentially saved. I can only hope, that something will click within an atheists mind, that will reflect a person convicted by the spirit, and help feed that persons soul, with the word of God.

My questions to you, is what gives you the right to challenge my beliefs? Why do utter insults (general question, maybe you do not do such a thing) to my brothers and sisters, as if we had a part in the crusades, or as if we participate in the disgusting acts of hatred toward any person (gay, atheist, humanist)?

I disagree, but i do not hate anyone.. If i hated people different then me, i would ignore you. I would not care for trying to help you think differently.. i would stick to my own kind.

Now, even thought i concentrate on the believer, i do not ever, shy away from an outsiders questions or (genuine) curiosity.

Keep in mind those are your experiences alone, which don't define the entirety of the religious population. You claim atheism attacks Christianity, which I have seen in some cases, but Christian people (not all of them) do the exact same thing. It goes both ways.

Of course they do not define the entire religious population; but they define enough.

Both are responsible for attacks; both are human. However, one is striving for a moral standard, and one is seeking to remove it. One says this is right and this is wrong; the other says, do what you want-- nothing is right or wrong (our society will thrice this way?)

Ok, so your viewpoint is that without religion, we are without morals? That is utter nonsense.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 8:02:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 7:56:18 PM, Invalid wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:26:30 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:02:30 PM, Invalid wrote:
At 6/27/2012 12:22:52 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM, Invalid wrote:
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?


First of all, i do not care for religion. I understand you and i may define it differently, given your understanding of theology, and your justified reservations due to the many different options (especially within Christianity). However, we have the right to proclaim our beliefs as right, whether they are or not, just like you have the right, to say we are wrong, and that "free-thinking" is better. (i assume you believe in such an ideal).

Also, we must be clear, on what tolerance means. I've never fought with, or harmed and non-believer. We've had disagreement, but 90% of the time, my intelligence, and morals, are disrespected or insulted arrogantly.

I know, personally, i can relate to most atheists a lot better then most Christians.. As, most of my company is that of non-believers or people who typically put such subjects on the back-burner.

I hold no ill will or personal hatred for such individuals; i believe God chooses his elect. I am just as miserable as most Christians describe atheists.. (maybe you will take a side of happiness). I do not feel i am in any position to judge who is, or is not, saved or in line with an elect persons, assumed, path.

If anything, i'm here %80 of the time, to speak to believers.. I'd like to touch base with the potentially saved. I can only hope, that something will click within an atheists mind, that will reflect a person convicted by the spirit, and help feed that persons soul, with the word of God.

My questions to you, is what gives you the right to challenge my beliefs? Why do utter insults (general question, maybe you do not do such a thing) to my brothers and sisters, as if we had a part in the crusades, or as if we participate in the disgusting acts of hatred toward any person (gay, atheist, humanist)?

I disagree, but i do not hate anyone.. If i hated people different then me, i would ignore you. I would not care for trying to help you think differently.. i would stick to my own kind.

Now, even thought i concentrate on the believer, i do not ever, shy away from an outsiders questions or (genuine) curiosity.

Keep in mind those are your experiences alone, which don't define the entirety of the religious population. You claim atheism attacks Christianity, which I have seen in some cases, but Christian people (not all of them) do the exact same thing. It goes both ways.

Of course they do not define the entire religious population; but they define enough.

Both are responsible for attacks; both are human. However, one is striving for a moral standard, and one is seeking to remove it. One says this is right and this is wrong; the other says, do what you want-- nothing is right or wrong (our society will thrice this way?)

Ok, so your viewpoint is that without religion, we are without morals? That is utter nonsense.


Wrong. Without God, there would be no morals.

However, the atheist position leaves an option to ignore certain morals, in favor or relativism.

If there is no God, everything is permitted.
Dostoevsky
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Invalid
Posts: 105
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 9:15:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 8:02:58 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:56:18 PM, Invalid wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:26:30 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:02:30 PM, Invalid wrote:
At 6/27/2012 12:22:52 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/26/2012 11:17:57 PM, Invalid wrote:
To all religious people who are intolerant of atheists. Whether it be Christianity (or any of it's branches), Islam, Judaism, etc. What gives you the right to claim your religion to be the right path?


First of all, i do not care for religion. I understand you and i may define it differently, given your understanding of theology, and your justified reservations due to the many different options (especially within Christianity). However, we have the right to proclaim our beliefs as right, whether they are or not, just like you have the right, to say we are wrong, and that "free-thinking" is better. (i assume you believe in such an ideal).

Also, we must be clear, on what tolerance means. I've never fought with, or harmed and non-believer. We've had disagreement, but 90% of the time, my intelligence, and morals, are disrespected or insulted arrogantly.

I know, personally, i can relate to most atheists a lot better then most Christians.. As, most of my company is that of non-believers or people who typically put such subjects on the back-burner.

I hold no ill will or personal hatred for such individuals; i believe God chooses his elect. I am just as miserable as most Christians describe atheists.. (maybe you will take a side of happiness). I do not feel i am in any position to judge who is, or is not, saved or in line with an elect persons, assumed, path.

If anything, i'm here %80 of the time, to speak to believers.. I'd like to touch base with the potentially saved. I can only hope, that something will click within an atheists mind, that will reflect a person convicted by the spirit, and help feed that persons soul, with the word of God.

My questions to you, is what gives you the right to challenge my beliefs? Why do utter insults (general question, maybe you do not do such a thing) to my brothers and sisters, as if we had a part in the crusades, or as if we participate in the disgusting acts of hatred toward any person (gay, atheist, humanist)?

I disagree, but i do not hate anyone.. If i hated people different then me, i would ignore you. I would not care for trying to help you think differently.. i would stick to my own kind.

Now, even thought i concentrate on the believer, i do not ever, shy away from an outsiders questions or (genuine) curiosity.

Keep in mind those are your experiences alone, which don't define the entirety of the religious population. You claim atheism attacks Christianity, which I have seen in some cases, but Christian people (not all of them) do the exact same thing. It goes both ways.

Of course they do not define the entire religious population; but they define enough.

Both are responsible for attacks; both are human. However, one is striving for a moral standard, and one is seeking to remove it. One says this is right and this is wrong; the other says, do what you want-- nothing is right or wrong (our society will thrice this way?)

Ok, so your viewpoint is that without religion, we are without morals? That is utter nonsense.


Wrong. Without God, there would be no morals.

However, the atheist position leaves an option to ignore certain morals, in favor or relativism.

If there is no God, everything is permitted.
Dostoevsky

That is possibly the most BS thing I've ever heard. To assume that humans are incapable of developing their own morals, and instead need the intervention of an invisible entity is an insult to humanity. I am without god, and yet I know full well the distinction between right and wrong. Though if you really want to believe that, I give credit to Satan, seeing as He was the one who told Adam and Eve eat to from the tree of knowledge.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
- Christopher Hitchens
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 10:38:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 8:02:58 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

Wrong. Without God, there would be no morals.

However, the atheist position leaves an option to ignore certain morals, in favor or relativism.

If there is no God, everything is permitted.
Dostoevsky

Do people really believe this? Whenever I hear atheists argue against this, I always wonder who they're talking to. I've underestimated the extent to which debunked arguments have been expunged from the debate.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 12:18:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 12:43:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I'm just gonna say that it's slightly irritating to always hear "atheist" used synonymously with "nonreligious".

Then you'd best avoid forums where atheism is discussed.