Total Posts:73|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What good comes from mockery?

Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:01:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

U Mad?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:14:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

People mock to form social cliques, raise ego, and assert dominance. It doesn't matter what they mock.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:22:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.

"Mock them," he told the crowd. "Ridicule them! In public!" - Richard Dawkins at the Reason Rally.

I am all for satire and reductio ad absurdum, but this is sheer desperation as atheism is all and only bluster, with zero content. It did not work for Emperor Julian 1700 years ago.

It tries to ignore entire fields of academia, arguments that are timeless, evidence that is overwhelming and experiences that are extrinsic.

I leave atheism to its stupidity, smiling while knowing I am the only one going to be vindicated in the end.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:29:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.


LMAO.. how funny, you think what's happening today hasn't happened before.

This argument, Athiest Vs Theist, is as old as man. We are not more intellegent then they were then.. we are probably worse.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:33:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Theists do it too.

But it does annoy me. It makes me feel like I can't have an intelligent and civilized conversation with them.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:43:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

What do you mean by mockery? Mockery is often good. Mockery can be an amusing way of criticism, that points out flaws in an idea in a humorous way. Mockery can also just be hilarious. You say Jesus is often mocked. Jesus is portrayed as a peaceful serious guy, so it is amusing to see him to outrageous things. Like the memes of Jesus talking like a bro to his followers is just too funny!
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 10:30:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 7:29:33 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.


LMAO.. how funny, you think what's happening today hasn't happened before.

When have people ever been so free to critisize religion as they are now?


This argument, Athiest Vs Theist, is as old as man. We are not more intellegent then they were then.. we are probably worse.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Clash
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 10:49:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

That question vary from person to person. Some persons do it because they themselves have problems at home etc. Some persons do it because they think that they are better than others, and they feel good and big after mocking someone. I myself don't see any positivism coming from mocking. By mocking, you are only hurting that other person. In fact, many people take suicide because of mocking.

And as to those who mocks religions and religious figures like prophet Muhammad and prophet Jesus (peace be upon them), they are in my opinion only wannabes with nothing else to do, and people with very little respect for other people's beliefs. Just ignorant loosers basically.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 10:55:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at leas one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, althis bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.

But if it serves as a deterrent to bad ideas taking hold then why mock Christianity as those ideas took hold a couple thousand years ago. What I'm wondering is how you can be sure religion has not been mocked in the past? People have had freedom of speech for quite sometime as well so your explanation is pretty baseless.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:03:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 7:33:24 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Theists do it too.

But it does annoy me. It makes me feel like I can't have an intelligent and civilized conversation with them.

I agree theists can be priggish at times but I don't see theists ( specifically Christians ) mocking atheists. I'm sure it happens but I would contend the atheists are far more apt to mock than theists.
I totally agree that it's difficult to have intelligent conversations when part of the crowd is mocking.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:05:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Irreverance.

That which is revered is seldom questioned. This type of blind, close-minded faith and obedience only breeds ignorance and is dangerous.

Mockery demolitions reverence, bringing such topics down off their pedestal where they can be scrutinized, questioned, and tested for legitimacy and validity.

Mock away.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:06:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 7:22:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.

"Mock them," he told the crowd. "Ridicule them! In public!" - Richard Dawkins at the Reason Rally.

I am all for satire and reductio ad absurdum, but this is sheer desperation as atheism is all and only bluster, with zero content. It did not work for Emperor Julian 1700 years ago.

It tries to ignore entire fields of academia, arguments that are timeless, evidence that is overwhelming and experiences that are extrinsic.

I leave atheism to its stupidity, smiling while knowing I am the only one going to be vindicated in the end.

Another one. So, the thought of people being eternally tortured brings you joy?

Explain how you aren't a sociopath.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:11:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 7:43:38 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

What do you mean by mockery? Mockery is often good. Mockery can be an amusing way of criticism, that points out flaws in an idea in a humorous way. Mockery can also just be hilarious. You say Jesus is often mocked. Jesus is portrayed as a peaceful serious guy, so it is amusing to see him to outrageous things. Like the memes of Jesus talking like a bro to his followers is just too funny!

I don't find it funny when someone says Jesus is a "zombie Jew". There's nothing wrong with disagreement between people but what is being accomplished by telling a Christian the God that died for the sins of the world is a zombie Jew. The only purpose that serves is to insult your fellow man,further driving the wedge between Christians and atheists (or theists,if you like.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:12:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 11:03:07 AM, Tnkissfan wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:33:24 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Theists do it too.

But it does annoy me. It makes me feel like I can't have an intelligent and civilized conversation with them.

I agree theists can be priggish at times but I don't see theists ( specifically Christians ) mocking atheists. I'm sure it happens but I would contend the atheists are far more apt to mock than theists.
Have you seen inferno (who calls Atheists stupid), Gileandos, tBoonePickens (who, word for word, has literally said that Atheists are no different than rocks), or SuburbiaSurvivor?
I totally agree that it's difficult to have intelligent conversations when part of the crowd is mocking.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:16:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 10:30:31 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:29:33 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.


LMAO.. how funny, you think what's happening today hasn't happened before.

When have people ever been so free to critisize religion as they are now?

Member them Romans that fed Christians to the lions?. That's been quite a while ago.

This argument, Athiest Vs Theist, is as old as man. We are not more intellegent then they were then.. we are probably worse.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:20:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/27/2012 7:43:38 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

What do you mean by mockery? Mockery is often good. Mockery can be an amusing way of criticism, that points out flaws in an idea in a humorous way. Mockery can also just be hilarious. You say Jesus is often mocked. Jesus is portrayed as a peaceful serious guy, so it is amusing to see him to outrageous things. Like the memes of Jesus talking like a bro to his followers is just too funny!

What I mean by mocking ( I wasn't aware there was another definition but okay) is poking fun at anything but I'm refering specifically to religious figures and religion. Belittling someone for their beliefs,that sort of thing.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:28:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 11:16:29 AM, Tnkissfan wrote:
At 6/28/2012 10:30:31 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:29:33 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.


LMAO.. how funny, you think what's happening today hasn't happened before.

When have people ever been so free to critisize religion as they are now?


Member them Romans that fed Christians to the lions?. That's been quite a while ago.

If I remember properly, those were theists throwing other theists to lions.
This argument, Athiest Vs Theist, is as old as man. We are not more intellegent then they were then.. we are probably worse.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:34:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 11:06:34 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:22:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.

"Mock them," he told the crowd. "Ridicule them! In public!" - Richard Dawkins at the Reason Rally.

I am all for satire and reductio ad absurdum, but this is sheer desperation as atheism is all and only bluster, with zero content. It did not work for Emperor Julian 1700 years ago.

It tries to ignore entire fields of academia, arguments that are timeless, evidence that is overwhelming and experiences that are extrinsic.

I leave atheism to its stupidity, smiling while knowing I am the only one going to be vindicated in the end.

Another one. So, the thought of people being eternally tortured brings you joy?

Explain how you aren't a sociopath.

I do not believe atheists are going to hell. I would not wish that on anyone. There will however, be a very stern and amusing discussion :)

Very few Christians believe most people are going to hell. In addition only a handful would state they are happy about it. Nice try at an attack against Christians.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:55:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 11:34:32 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/28/2012 11:06:34 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:22:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.

"Mock them," he told the crowd. "Ridicule them! In public!" - Richard Dawkins at the Reason Rally.

I am all for satire and reductio ad absurdum, but this is sheer desperation as atheism is all and only bluster, with zero content. It did not work for Emperor Julian 1700 years ago.

It tries to ignore entire fields of academia, arguments that are timeless, evidence that is overwhelming and experiences that are extrinsic.

I leave atheism to its stupidity, smiling while knowing I am the only one going to be vindicated in the end.

Another one. So, the thought of people being eternally tortured brings you joy?

Explain how you aren't a sociopath.

I do not believe atheists are going to hell. I would not wish that on anyone. There will however, be a very stern and amusing discussion :)

In that case I withdraw the statement. I agree. It will be amusing to watch God squirm as he tries to explain why, exactly, I should have believed in him. I look forward to it.


Very few Christians believe most people are going to hell.

Support for this?

In addition only a handful would state they are happy about it. Nice try at an attack against Christians.

It wasn't an attack against Christians. It was an attack against you. Specifically. I said "another," which was a reference to another specific individual, rather than Christians in general.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 12:15:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 10:55:54 AM, Tnkissfan wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at leas one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, althis bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.

But if it serves as a deterrent to bad ideas taking hold then why mock Christianity as those ideas took hold a couple thousand years ago.

To help undo the damage.

What I'm wondering is how you can be sure religion has not been mocked in the past? People have had freedom of speech for quite sometime as well so your explanation is pretty baseless.

People are using this freedom more now to critisize religion.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 12:20:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 11:16:29 AM, Tnkissfan wrote:
At 6/28/2012 10:30:31 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:29:33 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.


LMAO.. how funny, you think what's happening today hasn't happened before.

When have people ever been so free to critisize religion as they are now?


Member them Romans that fed Christians to the lions?. That's been quite a while ago.

If I remember my history, you weren't allowed to criticize the Roman god's. It's not all about Christianity you know.

This argument, Athiest Vs Theist, is as old as man. We are not more intellegent then they were then.. we are probably worse.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 12:30:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 11:55:26 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/28/2012 11:34:32 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/28/2012 11:06:34 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:22:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.

"Mock them," he told the crowd. "Ridicule them! In public!" - Richard Dawkins at the Reason Rally.

I am all for satire and reductio ad absurdum, but this is sheer desperation as atheism is all and only bluster, with zero content. It did not work for Emperor Julian 1700 years ago.

It tries to ignore entire fields of academia, arguments that are timeless, evidence that is overwhelming and experiences that are extrinsic.

I leave atheism to its stupidity, smiling while knowing I am the only one going to be vindicated in the end.

Another one. So, the thought of people being eternally tortured brings you joy?

Explain how you aren't a sociopath.

I do not believe atheists are going to hell. I would not wish that on anyone. There will however, be a very stern and amusing discussion :)

In that case I withdraw the statement. I agree. It will be amusing to watch God squirm as he tries to explain why, exactly, I should have believed in him. I look forward to it.

Yes, I would love to see you make God squirm. You could of course start now and be the first!



Very few Christians believe most people are going to hell.

Support for this?

Learn Theology of denominations and number counts.


In addition only a handful would state they are happy about it. Nice try at an attack against Christians.

It wasn't an attack against Christians. It was an attack against you. Specifically. I said "another," which was a reference to another specific individual, rather than Christians in general.

I would accept that, but above you admit you do not know how many Christians believe what you accuse my statement to have implied. You also did not know what my statement was referencing to begin with, due to a lack of knowledge of belief sets that properly define Christianity.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 12:35:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 12:30:54 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/28/2012 11:55:26 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/28/2012 11:34:32 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/28/2012 11:06:34 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:22:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.

"Mock them," he told the crowd. "Ridicule them! In public!" - Richard Dawkins at the Reason Rally.

I am all for satire and reductio ad absurdum, but this is sheer desperation as atheism is all and only bluster, with zero content. It did not work for Emperor Julian 1700 years ago.

It tries to ignore entire fields of academia, arguments that are timeless, evidence that is overwhelming and experiences that are extrinsic.

I leave atheism to its stupidity, smiling while knowing I am the only one going to be vindicated in the end.

Another one. So, the thought of people being eternally tortured brings you joy?

Explain how you aren't a sociopath.

I do not believe atheists are going to hell. I would not wish that on anyone. There will however, be a very stern and amusing discussion :)

In that case I withdraw the statement. I agree. It will be amusing to watch God squirm as he tries to explain why, exactly, I should have believed in him. I look forward to it.

Yes, I would love to see you make God squirm. You could of course start now and be the first!

I don't recall suggesting I would "make" him squirm. Just that he would out of self-shame.




Very few Christians believe most people are going to hell.

Support for this?

Learn Theology of denominations and number counts.

I'm not aware of any polls that have directly investigated this specific belief. Do you happen to have a reference available?



In addition only a handful would state they are happy about it. Nice try at an attack against Christians.

It wasn't an attack against Christians. It was an attack against you. Specifically. I said "another," which was a reference to another specific individual, rather than Christians in general.

I would accept that, but above you admit you do not know how many Christians believe what you accuse my statement to have implied. You also did not know what my statement was referencing to begin with, due to a lack of knowledge of belief sets that properly define Christianity.

Which isn't relevant in terms of whether or not I was attacking Christians in general. I wasn't. It was targeted at you, and you alone.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 12:45:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 12:35:24 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/28/2012 12:30:54 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/28/2012 11:55:26 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/28/2012 11:34:32 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/28/2012 11:06:34 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:22:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:57:23 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Mockery has both positive and negative consequencies. A benefit of mockery is that it serves as a deterent to bad ideas taking hold. If an idea can survive mockery, it's passed at least one test.

Religions have been able to suppress dissenting opinions through violence until recently. This means that religious ideas have not been subjected to the test I mentioned earier. For thousands of years, religions have piled bs on top of bs without being subject to scrutiny. Now that people have freedom of speech, all this bs is being subjected to mochery - and a lot of it - because that's what we do to dumb ideas - we critisize and mock them - and rightfully so.

"Mock them," he told the crowd. "Ridicule them! In public!" - Richard Dawkins at the Reason Rally.

I am all for satire and reductio ad absurdum, but this is sheer desperation as atheism is all and only bluster, with zero content. It did not work for Emperor Julian 1700 years ago.

It tries to ignore entire fields of academia, arguments that are timeless, evidence that is overwhelming and experiences that are extrinsic.

I leave atheism to its stupidity, smiling while knowing I am the only one going to be vindicated in the end.

Another one. So, the thought of people being eternally tortured brings you joy?

Explain how you aren't a sociopath.

I do not believe atheists are going to hell. I would not wish that on anyone. There will however, be a very stern and amusing discussion :)

In that case I withdraw the statement. I agree. It will be amusing to watch God squirm as he tries to explain why, exactly, I should have believed in him. I look forward to it.

Yes, I would love to see you make God squirm. You could of course start now and be the first!

I don't recall suggesting I would "make" him squirm. Just that he would out of self-shame.

Oh, that logically follows. I have no idea how I would have missed that an omnimax being would be so self-conscious....





Very few Christians believe most people are going to hell.

Support for this?

Learn Theology of denominations and number counts.

I'm not aware of any polls that have directly investigated this specific belief. Do you happen to have a reference available?

It is Theological and denominational studies.




In addition only a handful would state they are happy about it. Nice try at an attack against Christians.

It wasn't an attack against Christians. It was an attack against you. Specifically. I said "another," which was a reference to another specific individual, rather than Christians in general.

I would accept that, but above you admit you do not know how many Christians believe what you accuse my statement to have implied. You also did not know what my statement was referencing to begin with, due to a lack of knowledge of belief sets that properly define Christianity.

Which isn't relevant in terms of whether or not I was attacking Christians in general. I wasn't. It was targeted at you, and you alone.

Well. That makes it all better! Attacking people without understanding what they are saying or what they believe. Sounds about par for the atheistic course.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 12:53:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 12:45:14 PM, Gileandos wrote:
In that case I withdraw the statement. I agree. It will be amusing to watch God squirm as he tries to explain why, exactly, I should have believed in him. I look forward to it.

Yes, I would love to see you make God squirm. You could of course start now and be the first!

I don't recall suggesting I would "make" him squirm. Just that he would out of self-shame.

Oh, that logically follows. I have no idea how I would have missed that an omnimax being would be so self-conscious....





Very few Christians believe most people are going to hell.

Support for this?

Learn Theology of denominations and number counts.

I'm not aware of any polls that have directly investigated this specific belief. Do you happen to have a reference available?

It is Theological and denominational studies.

Ok, let me rephrase. Can you cite a specific reference that demonstrates your statement?





In addition only a handful would state they are happy about it. Nice try at an attack against Christians.

It wasn't an attack against Christians. It was an attack against you. Specifically. I said "another," which was a reference to another specific individual, rather than Christians in general.

I would accept that, but above you admit you do not know how many Christians believe what you accuse my statement to have implied. You also did not know what my statement was referencing to begin with, due to a lack of knowledge of belief sets that properly define Christianity.

Which isn't relevant in terms of whether or not I was attacking Christians in general. I wasn't. It was targeted at you, and you alone.

Well. That makes it all better! Attacking people without understanding what they are saying or what they believe. Sounds about par for the atheistic course.

Even if you aren't a sociopath, you're still a hypocrit. Anyway, as a Christian, you really don't have room to complain. When I bring out the thumbscrews and I try and force you to denounce Christianity, then we'll talk.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 5:27:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 11:12:40 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/28/2012 11:03:07 AM, Tnkissfan wrote:
At 6/27/2012 7:33:24 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Theists do it too.

But it does annoy me. It makes me feel like I can't have an intelligent and civilized conversation with them.

I agree theists can be priggish at times but I don't see theists ( specifically Christians ) mocking atheists. I'm sure it happens but I would contend the atheists are far more apt to mock than theists.
Have you seen inferno (who calls Atheists stupid), Gileandos, tBoonePickens (who, word for word, has literally said that Atheists are no different than rocks), or SuburbiaSurvivor?
I totally agree that it's difficult to have intelligent conversations when part of the crowd is mocking.

Actually, I'm only familiar with Gileandos and i have never seen him mock anyone.
Tnkissfan
Posts: 199
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 5:30:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/28/2012 11:05:11 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/27/2012 6:31:16 PM, Tnkissfan wrote:
Why do people mock? Especially religions and religious figures?? Jesus of Nazareth seems to be the most targeted even though there is no difference (as far as atheism is concerned ) between Jesus and allah. What positive comes from mockery?

Irreverance.

That which is revered is seldom questioned. This type of blind, close-minded faith and obedience only breeds ignorance and is dangerous.

Mockery demolitions reverence, bringing such topics down off their pedestal where they can be scrutinized, questioned, and tested for legitimacy and validity.

Mock away.

ALL of which could be accomplished without resorting to mockery.