Jump to topic:

I'm going to try Christianity for a while

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:25:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Does anyone know of any evidence or strong arguments for making me believe in god? I want to convert smoothly, but it's difficult when Christianity doesn't make much sense to me. It's seems ostensibly immoral, old-fashioned, and illogical to me. This will probably be the most difficult thing I ever do. Please help me think Christianity is true and moral.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:32:44 PM
At 6/28/2012 11:25:04 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Does anyone know of any evidence or strong arguments for making me believe in god? I want to convert smoothly, but it's difficult when Christianity doesn't make much sense to me. It's seems ostensibly immoral, old-fashioned, and illogical to me. This will probably be the most difficult thing I ever do. Please help me think Christianity is true and moral.

I can try to smooth it out.. lol

Lets start with what you don't like about Christianity though.

Can you state a few things that you disagree with in particular?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:38:03 PM
An introspective journey of spirituality can be a very fulfilling and profound experience for those willing to look past their own biases and mockery. A few hours at a bookstore, a temple, or alone with their own thoughts is a good start. What probably isn't a good start, though, is saying something like "I'm going to try Christianity for a while."
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:42:31 PM
At 6/28/2012 11:38:03 PM, Maikuru wrote:
An introspective journey of spirituality can be a very fulfilling and profound experience for those willing to look past their own biases and mockery. A few hours at a bookstore, a temple, or alone with their own thoughts is a good start. What probably isn't a good start, though, is saying something like "I'm going to try Christianity for a while."

lol! i agree.. but i hold strong to my understanding of man and sin; i am just as eff'd up as the next guy, so, you never know.. there could be dozens of elect on this sight who haven't been brought to life, by the word of truth.

Maybe God chose a few staunch atheists on this site.. and there very purpose in rebellion, is to be brought to Christ, and bring further hope to us-- witnessing the glory of God, and his merciful righteousness.

Who knows..
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:48:29 PM

I'd love to talk to you about it.
Christianity has been a wonderful and fulfilling way for me to live my life.
Still, the mushy gushy feelings arent why im a christian; there honestly is evidence for Christianity.

If you want me to go into further detail about the evidence, just send me a message.
If not, you can just say on this thread specific problems you have with Christianity.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2012 11:53:57 PM

Talk to popculture and inquiretruth. They're the most logical Christians here, IMO.

Your name's going to make allot of sense now.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:22:12 AM
At 6/28/2012 11:32:44 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

Christianity's arbitrary morality, copying other religions, Bible lacking coherency and cogency, the amalgamation of errors in the bible making me think it's stupid, and many other doctrines and stories that I think are disgusting, immoral, and ridiculous. This is going to be hard to change. I wish I could just drop my IQ to below 100, get amnesia, and start learning about religion again.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:25:45 AM
I just need good, solid reasons. If I don't get them, I don't think I'll ever be capable of change in a few years.

Also, I need to try it for a while, because the brain uses patterns and habits to form models of the world. I'm trying to change my model, and the first step is trying to.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:27:20 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:25:45 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I just need good, solid reasons. If I don't get them, I don't think I'll ever be capable of change in a few years.

Also, I need to try it for a while, because the brain uses patterns and habits to form models of the world. I'm trying to change my model, and the first step is trying to.

It will be very hard after listening to the Cardinal's reasoning.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:28:20 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:22:12 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Christianity's arbitrary morality, copying other religions, Bible lacking coherency and cogency, the amalgamation of errors in the bible making me think it's stupid, and many other doctrines and stories that I think are disgusting, immoral, and ridiculous. This is going to be hard to change. I wish I could just drop my IQ to below 100, get amnesia, and start learning about religion again.

Yikes.. lol ok.

Can you be a little more specific?

Like, a certain thing that you know is taught by Christians, that you specifically disagree with?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:28:39 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:27:20 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Bossy, most Christians are dumbfvcks, I know. But that isn't helping me. I need to change how I see the world.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:33:41 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:28:20 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:

Yikes.. lol ok.

Can you be a little more specific?

Like, a certain thing that you know is taught by Christians, that you specifically disagree with?

Concept of hell. It is illogical and immoral for several reasons.

Hating on gays and shellfish and random stuff like that

Making murder the official punishment for breaking most of the ten commandments
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:33:56 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:28:39 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Bossy, most Christians are dumbfvcks, I know. But that isn't helping me. I need to change how I see the world.

I'm just saying that it will be very hard to do so with the view you picked.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:37:45 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:33:56 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

I'm just saying that it will be very hard to do so with the view you picked.

True. I don't even know if I could possibly convince myself of it.
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:39:05 AM

If you don't have any reasons, why are you converting?
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:41:00 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:22:12 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

You obviously don't believe it's true, so why are you trying to force yourself to conform?! You just implied that logic points toward atheism...Why ignore that?
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Jessalyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:44:17 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:28:39 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

You don't have to be religious to change how you see the world, you know. In my opinion, it's best appreciated for what it is (with logic) than clouded by arguably false beliefs. Still, I'll leave you to it, but I can't say I hope you're successful in converting because I am not convinced it's what you want.
I hope you will find what you truly want--whether it be atheism or religion--and pursue it successfully.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:45:08 AM

No one can "make" you believe in God...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:48:19 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:45:08 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

The final choices rest on my shoulders, but someone can guide me. Can you convice me somehow?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:54:04 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:39:05 AM, Jessalyn wrote:

I want to try again. Start over.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:55:23 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:54:04 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I feel as though the well is already poisoned.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:57:02 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:55:23 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

fml. There has to be a good argument for Christianity, at least a few that will make me believe.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:59:48 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:57:02 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

fml. There has to be a good argument for Christianity, at least a few that will make me believe.

Why Christianity? If you want to start over, try some other religion. Like Islam. Even though you think it's violent. That is, if you're just looking not to become biased towards some viewpoint.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:00:02 AM

Check this out. http://humanknowledge.net...
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:03:09 AM

If you want to join a religion, is there any specific reason it has to be Christianity?
Debate.org Moderator
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:03:10 AM
At 6/29/2012 12:48:19 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

The final choices rest on my shoulders, but someone can guide me. Can you convice me somehow?

I'm gonna try.. I'll have some things posted for you soon.

You gotta be cool though.. i don't' wanna get all pissed off.. and if i have a reputation yet, on this site, its for getting pissed.. lol

But, i definitely wanna chop it up with you.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:21:44 AM
At 6/29/2012 1:00:02 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Check this out. http://humanknowledge.net...

Reading.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:22:41 AM

The Fool: Hello, children, and society you are raised in plays a huge factor.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:23:39 AM

The Fool: try out Scientology!! <(XD)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL