Jump to topic:

Lying among the clergy

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 5:28:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"St. Augustine found lying among the clergy so prevalent that he wrote two books (De Mendacio in 395 A.D. and Contra Mendacium in 420 A.D.), urging that it stop." [Gordon Stein, _A Second Anthology of Atheism and Rationalism_,p. 65]
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 5:50:18 PM
At 6/29/2012 5:28:33 PM, Microsuck wrote:
"St. Augustine found lying among the clergy so prevalent that he wrote two books (De Mendacio in 395 A.D. and Contra Mendacium in 420 A.D.), urging that it stop." [Gordon Stein, _A Second Anthology of Atheism and Rationalism_,p. 65]

Haven't you ever heard of the peculiar Romish doctrine of "mental reservation"? That means you can lie, but it's not a lie.

"A false statement knowingly made to one who has not the right to the truth will not be a lie." (Cath Encyclopedia, IX, 471)

"Mental reservation is allowable when we are driven into a corner by captious questions." (Question Box, 1929, 433-434)

Also, there is no such thing as "lying among the clergy" because there is no clergy - nor, by elimination, is there a laity. Therefore, a non-existent "clergy" can't lie, and even if they could, it's not a lie - it's "mental reservation."
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 6:34:08 PM

Dude, completely false. You need to fact check your sources.

Here is the first line of the work De Mendacio. It is about key specific lying, like white lies or when you are in danger etc.

"There is a great question about Lying, which often arises in the midst of our every day business, and gives us much trouble, that we may not either rashly call that a lie which is not such, or decide that it is sometimes right to tell a lie, that is, a kind of honest, well-meant, charitable lie. This question we will painfully discuss by seeking with them that seek: whether to any good purpose, we need not take upon ourselves to affirm, for the attentive reader will sufficiently gather from the course of the discussion."
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 1:09:23 PM
At 6/29/2012 5:50:18 PM, annanicole wrote:

Haven't you ever heard of the peculiar Romish doctrine of "mental reservation"? That means you can lie, but it's not a lie.

"A false statement knowingly made to one who has not the right to the truth will not be a lie." (Cath Encyclopedia, IX, 471)

"Mental reservation is allowable when we are driven into a corner by captious questions." (Question Box, 1929, 433-434)

"In De Mendacio [On Lying], Augustine argues against the possibility of their being any occasion in which a conscious utterance of falsehood is not a lie, and concludes that there is no instance in which a lie is not a sin." (http://www.quodlibet.net...)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...