Jump to topic:

Terrible Christians

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 12:25:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Most of the Christians who visit this form are poor examples of Christians. I asked for some advice in attempting to convert to Christianity and only two people contacted me about it, genuinely concerned with the process. The rest of you demonstrated apathy about fulfilling a major Christian duty and are more concerned with fighting about your beliefs than helping someone in need.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 1:05:46 AM
At 7/1/2012 12:25:50 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Most of the Christians who visit this form are poor examples of Christians. I asked for some advice in attempting to convert to Christianity and only two people contacted me about it, genuinely concerned with the process. The rest of you demonstrated apathy about fulfilling a major Christian duty and are more concerned with fighting about your beliefs than helping someone in need.

What exactly are you looking for, here? For someone to take you by the hand and lead you into the light?

It doesn't work that way.

And I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a "good" Christian. I don't frequently go to church, members of most other denominations irritate me and I can't stand most ministers/preachers/priests.

I am not nor do I pretend to be of a "holier than thou" demeanor. I frequently use profanity. I make crass jokes and I have an incredibly dry sense of humor. I am often rude, I have done drugs and I am an incredibly aggressive (and often inconsiderate) driver. (It is for that reason that I don't have bumper stickers.)

With that said, we all do the best we can. No one is perfect. We can only try to do what's right.

Moreover, a faith shouldn't be judged on the basis of its practitioners.

But if you really want to know, feel free to ask anything you like. I'll do my best to answer, but I'm hardly the best source.
Tsar of DDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 2:42:59 AM

No offense, but you didn't sound very serious to me. I thought you were just kidding or something. What with all that talk about having to "lower your IQ" to take religion seriously. But if you are serious message me with some of your concerns.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 4:05:38 AM
At 7/1/2012 2:42:59 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

No offense, but you didn't sound very serious to me. I thought you were just kidding or something. What with all that talk about having to "lower your IQ" to take religion seriously. But if you are serious message me with some of your concerns.

This. You demonstrated no sincerity in that thread. Usually people asking for advice don't qualify the statement by saying that anyone in position to offer that advice is an idiot and you'd be debasing yourself to accept it. You know what the primary arguments for Christianity are, you know how to access additional arguments, and you know knowledgeable Christians on this site that you could have messaged privately. Starting that thread had one purpose and it had nothing to do with conversion.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 5:22:25 AM

I know you are not talking to I. First Wallstreet you should pull your head from out your rear. Second you should make the effort yourself. There are plenty(I myself said) would talk anytime. Should I forcefully teach you?
TheAsylum
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 7:03:15 AM

This again. I have been involved in several pms with members here that were seeking to know about Christianity. One on one and in a group of other Christians.

Now it looks like you made that thread just so you could post this one to some how prove to yourself that Christians aren't concerned about bringing people to Christ. But I think you knew that if you didn't poison the well with your degrading comments you would actually be proven wrong.

Anyway, I hope you don't go through life like this. If you do I would suggest that you seriously consider everything you believe.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 9:45:16 AM

This above.

Of course if you are actually serious about asking the specific questions, I am certain their are 10 churches within 10 miles of your location. I do not mind working on 'discipleship' with you as you explore a personal relationship with God to discover where he wants you to go to start learning.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 10:11:08 AM
I would also recommend you start by checking your desire.
God calls us to seek out and value wisdom. Nothing is more valuable.

Proverbs 4:7
Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 12:57:05 PM
At 7/1/2012 12:45:54 PM, drafterman wrote:
I love all these excuses to get out of helping someone else become a Christian.

It's actually pretty comical, isn't it?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 1:02:33 PM

Not sure why I'd want an "excuse" to "get out" of helping someone else to become Christian. I genuinely thought that he was just trolling. But since it seems like he wasn't, I apologize for thinking so.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 1:04:06 PM
At 7/1/2012 1:02:33 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Not sure why I'd want an "excuse" to "get out" of helping someone else to become Christian. I genuinely thought that he was just trolling. But since it seems like he wasn't, I apologize for thinking so.

I think there is a legitimate question of, even if he was trolling, can an argument be made that a Christian should take the risk (of wasting one's own time) anyway?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 1:07:54 PM
At 7/1/2012 10:11:08 AM, Gileandos wrote:

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding

Thank you. I only feel that understanding the world and acquiring wisdom lead me away from Christianity. I only hope that if there is a Christian God, he understands my reasons for being who I am and knows that I live a good, moral life. As more Christians try to persuade me, I begin to feel like I am incapable of returning to Christianity. The closest I would be able to get is Deism. From a Christian perspective, it may seem sad or tragic, but as much as I can tell at the moment, that is my conclusion. Thank you.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 2:11:44 PM
At 7/1/2012 1:07:54 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 7/1/2012 10:11:08 AM, Gileandos wrote:

Thank you. I only feel that understanding the world and acquiring wisdom lead me away from Christianity. I only hope that if there is a Christian God, he understands my reasons for being who I am and knows that I live a good, moral life. As more Christians try to persuade me, I begin to feel like I am incapable of returning to Christianity. The closest I would be able to get is Deism. From a Christian perspective, it may seem sad or tragic, but as much as I can tell at the moment, that is my conclusion. Thank you.

Wow. So instead of undergoing a process of discipleship, for all of what? a couple of days? You have reached a conclusion? That is not wisdom. Christ's disciples studied under Jesus himself for 3 years and still did not get it. A bit more patience is required.

In fact, that is the epitome of laziness also discussed in proverbs. View the ant, a rigorous day in, day out process.

As stated if you were not trolling and genuinely seeking, I will start you on the the road toward discipleship and a direct relationship with God.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 2:34:31 PM

The Fool: The failure of academic preformance is lower, when Religions fundemtism increases. It doesn't effect rational capicity.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 2:37:02 PM

This. There were a lot of, uh, barbs in your other thread. It seemed kind of questionable tbh.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 2:37:29 PM
The Fool: I would convert if you could give Rational arguments. Not just called Rational or Logica. Not by appealing ignorance either. We how something happen therefore its God.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 3:20:30 PM
Most of the Christians who visit this form are poor examples of Christians. I asked for some advice in attempting to convert to Christianity and only two people contacted me about it, genuinely concerned with the process. The rest of you demonstrated apathy about fulfilling a major Christian duty and are more concerned with fighting about your beliefs than helping someone in need.:

Is it at all possible that you were baiting and/or purposely setting up a self-fulfilling prophecy? If you act as though you're trolling, joking, or mocking, you can't turn around and say, "Ha, see, you Christians are all the same!"

Not saying that's necessarily the case but a lot of people seem to have thought you were just joking.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 5:45:27 PM
Let me make myself clear: I was being serious. I'm tired of being pushed around in society because of what I believe. It's amazing how terrible people will treat you if you mention to them that you aren't a believer. I was genuinely trying to convert. But, the more I reflect on it, the more difficult the process seems to me and the more implausible my self-deception into the faith becomes. The IQ remark was just a desperate attempt to want to simplify the process. If I had a lower IQ, it would be much easier for me to accept a God. There are more factors than that: I am happier, more reasonable, and more moral now that I've left the faith. Giving up my happiness, morality, and reasonableness is going to be more difficult than forcing myself to believe Christianity is true.

Should I just give it up? Or should I keep trying and hoping that some thing or some argument will catalyze my conversion?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 6:10:20 PM
At 7/1/2012 5:45:27 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Let me make myself clear: I was being serious. I'm tired of being pushed around in society because of what I believe. It's amazing how terrible people will treat you if you mention to them that you aren't a believer. I was genuinely trying to convert. But, the more I reflect on it, the more difficult the process seems to me and the more implausible my self-deception into the faith becomes. The IQ remark was just a desperate attempt to want to simplify the process. If I had a lower IQ, it would be much easier for me to accept a God. There are more factors than that: I am happier, more reasonable, and more moral now that I've left the faith. Giving up my happiness, morality, and reasonableness is going to be more difficult than forcing myself to believe Christianity is true.

Should I just give it up? Or should I keep trying and hoping that some thing or some argument will catalyze my conversion?

If this is all because of arseholes, think about what you would do if they were making fun of your car. Would you go out and get another car to appease them? HELL NO.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 6:22:14 PM
At 7/1/2012 6:10:20 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

If this is all because of arseholes, think about what you would do if they were making fun of your car. Would you go out and get another car to appease them? HELL NO.

It's not the same. There isn't the all-subsuming social stigma for someone who drives a sub-par car as someone who thinks that the Christian religion is a remnant of Iron-Age, superstitious ignorance and disbelieves in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Family, classmates, and romantic relationships all treat my disparagingly because of my lack of belief.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 6:23:26 PM
At 7/1/2012 6:22:14 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

It's not the same. There isn't the all-subsuming social stigma for someone who drives a sub-par car as someone who thinks that the Christian religion is a remnant of Iron-Age, superstitious ignorance and disbelieves in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Family, classmates, and romantic relationships all treat my disparagingly because of my lack of belief.

Those people don't deserve you then.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 6:36:01 PM

First, I find it amusing it is the dumbest atheists who run around trying to prove that atheists are smarter than theists, on par are the atheists who assert it.

Second what is your IQ that it is so high it is keeping you from the obvious?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 6:47:35 PM
At 7/1/2012 6:36:01 PM, Gileandos wrote:

First, I find it amusing it is the dumbest atheists who run around trying to prove that atheists are smarter than theists, on par are the atheists who assert it.

Second what is your IQ that it is so high it is keeping you from the obvious?

Oh, come on.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Tnkissfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 6:53:22 PM

With all due respect,WST it didn't seem like you were very genuine in your request. It came across more as you wanting to make an example of Christians. If you have genuine concerns I'm sure that if you approach it from a respectful position you will have better responses.
Tnkissfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 7:09:13 PM

Should I just give it up? Or should I keep trying and hoping that some thing or some aent will catalyze my conversion?

Yes but you also must remember becoming a Christian isn't a decision you can make from that perspective. You can't approach it from an "well, I was a Christian but since I left it Im much happier but can I be FORCED back to believing it". The decision must come from a genuine NEED within. You must humble yourself before God. If you can say " I'm unhappy with life and I'm not moral but rather a hopeless sinner who NEEDS God" then you are on the right road to coming back to Christianity. You can't be proud and think you are a great person because we aren't. I'm a pretty moral guy but that doesn't omit my need for God because I'm still a sinner that needs a savior.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 7:11:13 PM
At 7/1/2012 1:07:54 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I begin to feel like I am incapable of returning to Christianity. The closest I would be able to get is Deism.

Why is Christianity easier to believe than Deism in your view? If you can make the leap to Deism, you can make the leap to all the other claims save for the contradictions in doctrine.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Tnkissfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 7:12:00 PM
At 7/1/2012 6:22:14 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

NOT a good reason to convert.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 10:46:37 PM
If you feel a pull to Christianity than I suggest you just read the Bible(I recommend the NASB version) and then ask questions that arose from your reading as you go along. The objections you raised in the thread weren't that good. Inerrancy of the Bible is irrelevant seeing as it was written by men, and which books to be included were chosen by men. The fact that the Bible contained errors never made me question my previous belief in Christianity. Or as some people believe, the current translations of the Bible could just be not accurate but the Bible was inerrant in its original, unchanged Greek/Hebrew form. When I was a Christian, I believed that maybe a few of the books of the Bible might be inerrant but the rest either weren't inerrant or shouldn't even have been included in the Bible. This also partially alleviates your moral concerns. Most objections of immorality are focused on the first books of the old testament. You don't have to believe they are correct. The new testament and some of the old, demonstrates a large number of good moral principles. The problem of hell is honestly not a problem at all. Annihilationism has some very compelling arguments, and universalism has a few as well. There is no reason to believe eternal torment is a necessary belief for Christianity(pm if you want more info.) You also mention hating on gays and selfish behavior which I also find to be poor objections. There are plenty of Christians who accept homosexuality. The behavior of sections of individuals of a belief system are irrelevant to the validity of the actual system.

I also assume you are pulled to the thought that God exists. If you don't like Christianity or any other religion but do favor the concept of God, Deism would be the most logical choice in my opinion. Or agnostic theism, but from what I observe, that tends to very often end up in Deism anyway.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)