Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Why don't people research other's religion?

Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 12:04:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hello.

This is a topic I've been thinking about quite deeply for days now. Religious people are the people who believe that their religion is the true source of enlightenment, right? So for that to be true, a person would have to believe that the 'other' sources of religions are a lie. However, most of the religious people I know don't really delve into the other religions. It's like- Islam? terrorism, Christianity? Stoning the homosexuals, Jainism? Too many restrictions... BAM my religion is the true source bum.

To an extent, I can understand that it is a natural extension of your faith in your parents, but that faith does fade as one reaches teenage, for all the self actualization, most of the people don't really question their religious beliefs if not to completely strip them off. Either you are an atheist, or a christian.

Considering that there are a myriad of religions to chose from, how can people be religious? I am genuinely curious about this. Why are they not in a permanent state of confusion?
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 12:15:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:04:03 AM, Cermank wrote:
Hello.

This is a topic I've been thinking about quite deeply for days now. Religious people are the people who believe that their religion is the true source of enlightenment, right? So for that to be true, a person would have to believe that the 'other' sources of religions are a lie. However, most of the religious people I know don't really delve into the other religions. It's like- Islam? terrorism, Christianity? Stoning the homosexuals, Jainism? Too many restrictions... BAM my religion is the true source bum.

To an extent, I can understand that it is a natural extension of your faith in your parents, but that faith does fade as one reaches teenage, for all the self actualization, most of the people don't really question their religious beliefs if not to completely strip them off. Either you are an atheist, or a christian.

Considering that there are a myriad of religions to chose from, how can people be religious? I am genuinely curious about this. Why are they not in a permanent state of confusion?

Theologians do study other religions and Natural philosophy.
Christianity also asserts the other religions are 'backed' with a power source that is Fallen Angels. So we believe these to be real and have power. They are just not 'good' or from God our creator.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 12:23:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:15:12 AM, Gileandos wrote:


Theologians do study other religions and Natural philosophy.
Christianity also asserts the other religions are 'backed' with a power source that is Fallen Angels. So we believe these to be real and have power. They are just not 'good' or from God our creator.

No that is just proving my point. You feel that, because christianity says so. Obviously, Hindus dont believe that their God is the fallen angel. Do they? Your perspective to Islam would be a Christians perspective to another religion, that would tend to be biased.

If a person is searching for the true source of enlightenment, wouldn't he want to try every door?
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 12:36:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If a person is searching for the true source of enlightenment, wouldn't he want to try every door?

Why try to fix what isn't broken?
TheAsylum
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 12:51:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:23:28 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:15:12 AM, Gileandos wrote:


Theologians do study other religions and Natural philosophy.
Christianity also asserts the other religions are 'backed' with a power source that is Fallen Angels. So we believe these to be real and have power. They are just not 'good' or from God our creator.

No that is just proving my point. You feel that, because christianity says so. Obviously, Hindus dont believe that their God is the fallen angel. Do they? Your perspective to Islam would be a Christians perspective to another religion, that would tend to be biased.

If a person is searching for the true source of enlightenment, wouldn't he want to try every door?

That is like asking why not assume everything is true. No one operates in such a principle per say.
Modern Game theory precludes most ideologies and philosophies.
The remaining few are easily determined whether they are objectively true or not through a process of elimination.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 1:55:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:51:18 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:23:28 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:15:12 AM, Gileandos wrote:


Theologians do study other religions and Natural philosophy.
Christianity also asserts the other religions are 'backed' with a power source that is Fallen Angels. So we believe these to be real and have power. They are just not 'good' or from God our creator.

No that is just proving my point. You feel that, because christianity says so. Obviously, Hindus dont believe that their God is the fallen angel. Do they? Your perspective to Islam would be a Christians perspective to another religion, that would tend to be biased.

If a person is searching for the true source of enlightenment, wouldn't he want to try every door?

That is like asking why not assume everything is true. No one operates in such a principle per say.
Modern Game theory precludes most ideologies and philosophies.
The remaining few are easily determined whether they are objectively true or not through a process of elimination.

Looks like you aren't going to get a real answer to this, Cermank.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 11:47:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:36:43 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
If a person is searching for the true source of enlightenment, wouldn't he want to try every door?

Why try to fix what isn't broken?

Because no religion can be 'broken', per say.A religion is different from philosophy, the aim of religion is 'enlightenment'. Every religion has its own conception of the 'truth'.

If you are looking for the real truth, one should apply all its logical powers. The first step would be to look for all the possible claims.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 11:53:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:51:18 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:23:28 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:15:12 AM, Gileandos wrote:


Theologians do study other religions and Natural philosophy.
Christianity also asserts the other religions are 'backed' with a power source that is Fallen Angels. So we believe these to be real and have power. They are just not 'good' or from God our creator.

No that is just proving my point. You feel that, because christianity says so. Obviously, Hindus dont believe that their God is the fallen angel. Do they? Your perspective to Islam would be a Christians perspective to another religion, that would tend to be biased.

If a person is searching for the true source of enlightenment, wouldn't he want to try every door?

That is like asking why not assume everything is true. No one operates in such a principle per say.

Not exactly. More like asking WHY you have such irrefutable faith in your religion if you haven't even tried looking at others.

Modern Game theory precludes most ideologies and philosophies.

The remaining few are easily determined whether they are objectively true or not through a process of elimination.
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 11:56:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:04:03 AM, Cermank wrote:
Hello.


Haven't seen you on here before. It is nice to meet you.

This is a topic I've been thinking about quite deeply for days now. Religious people are the people who believe that their religion is the true source of enlightenment, right? So for that to be true, a person would have to believe that the 'other' sources of religions are a lie. However, most of the religious people I know don't really delve into the other religions. It's like- Islam? terrorism, Christianity? Stoning the homosexuals, Jainism? Too many restrictions... BAM my religion is the true source bum.


I think that there are so many religions in the world, to study all of them well would take a few life times. I am a Christian. When I studied the history I thought the best evidence showed that Jesus: claimed to be God, was crucified and buried, and was resurrected. I thought the best evidence showed that Jesus was God and since I believe that to be true, it shows other religions false (Such as Islam, Jainism as you mentioned.) That is why when people tell me the want to start looking at different religions I tell them they should start with Christianity. I do this for 2 main reasons. Christianity is completely falsifiable. If Jesus did not exist or rise from the dead, then Christianity is flat out wrong. However, if the claims of Jesus are true, then no other religion can be completely right. That is why I chose Christianity.

To an extent, I can understand that it is a natural extension of your faith in your parents, but that faith does fade as one reaches teenage, for all the self actualization, most of the people don't really question their religious beliefs if not to completely strip them off. Either you are an atheist, or a christian.

Considering that there are a myriad of religions to chose from, how can people be religious? I am genuinely curious about this. Why are they not in a permanent state of confusion?
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 12:08:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 11:53:46 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:51:18 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:23:28 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:15:12 AM, Gileandos wrote:


Theologians do study other religions and Natural philosophy.
Christianity also asserts the other religions are 'backed' with a power source that is Fallen Angels. So we believe these to be real and have power. They are just not 'good' or from God our creator.

No that is just proving my point. You feel that, because christianity says so. Obviously, Hindus dont believe that their God is the fallen angel. Do they? Your perspective to Islam would be a Christians perspective to another religion, that would tend to be biased.

If a person is searching for the true source of enlightenment, wouldn't he want to try every door?

That is like asking why not assume everything is true. No one operates in such a principle per say.

Not exactly. More like asking WHY you have such irrefutable faith in your religion if you haven't even tried looking at others.

The below already addressed your statement.



Modern Game theory precludes most ideologies and philosophies.

The remaining few are easily determined whether they are objectively true or not through a process of elimination.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 12:16:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 11:56:27 AM, stubs wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:04:03 AM, Cermank wrote:
Hello.


Haven't seen you on here before. It is nice to meet you.

Nice to meet you too :)

This is a topic I've been thinking about quite deeply for days now. Religious people are the people who believe that their religion is the true source of enlightenment, right? So for that to be true, a person would have to believe that the 'other' sources of religions are a lie. However, most of the religious people I know don't really delve into the other religions. It's like- Islam? terrorism, Christianity? Stoning the homosexuals, Jainism? Too many restrictions... BAM my religion is the true source bum.


I think that there are so many religions in the world, to study all of them well would take a few life times. I am a Christian. When I studied the history I thought the best evidence showed that Jesus: claimed to be God, was crucified and buried, and was resurrected. I thought the best evidence showed that Jesus was God and since I believe that to be true, it shows other religions false (Such as Islam, Jainism as you mentioned.)

What evidence?

That is why when people tell me the want to start looking at different religions I tell them they should start with Christianity. I do this for 2 main reasons. Christianity is completely falsifiable. If Jesus did not exist or rise from the dead, then Christianity is flat out wrong. However, if the claims of Jesus are true, then no other religion can be completely right. That is why I chose Christianity.

But then so is every other religion, don't you think? Hinduism, for example. I don't know if you are familiar with it, but it has a historical epic- Ramayana. Which claims the existence of Lord Ram. So if there is a historical evidence for the existence of Ram, Hinduism is true- every other religion is false. And there is, at least according to Hindus.

Same with every other religion. There are numerous claims for existence of their own god by the religious.


To an extent, I can understand that it is a natural extension of your faith in your parents, but that faith does fade as one reaches teenage, for all the self actualization, most of the people don't really question their religious beliefs if not to completely strip them off. Either you are an atheist, or a christian.

Considering that there are a myriad of religions to chose from, how can people be religious? I am genuinely curious about this. Why are they not in a permanent state of confusion?
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 12:18:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:08:12 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 7/2/2012 11:53:46 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:51:18 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:23:28 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:15:12 AM, Gileandos wrote:


Theologians do study other religions and Natural philosophy.
Christianity also asserts the other religions are 'backed' with a power source that is Fallen Angels. So we believe these to be real and have power. They are just not 'good' or from God our creator.

No that is just proving my point. You feel that, because christianity says so. Obviously, Hindus dont believe that their God is the fallen angel. Do they? Your perspective to Islam would be a Christians perspective to another religion, that would tend to be biased.

If a person is searching for the true source of enlightenment, wouldn't he want to try every door?

That is like asking why not assume everything is true. No one operates in such a principle per say.

Not exactly. More like asking WHY you have such irrefutable faith in your religion if you haven't even tried looking at others.

The below already addressed your statement.



Modern Game theory precludes most ideologies and philosophies.

The remaining few are easily determined whether they are objectively true or not through a process of elimination.

This seems really vague and frankly, a biased portrayal of the game theory. How did you arrive to this conclusion?
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 12:40:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:16:04 PM, Cermank wrote:

What evidence?


Historical, archaeological, and medical. I think to go over all the evidence in favor or against Jesus as God is too much to discuss in a forum haha


But then so is every other religion, don't you think? Hinduism, for example. I don't know if you are familiar with it, but it has a historical epic- Ramayana. Which claims the existence of Lord Ram. So if there is a historical evidence for the existence of Ram, Hinduism is true- every other religion is false. And there is, at least according to Hindus.


I actually have taken a few world religion courses and I have read about the Ramayana. I just don't think Hindu holy text is as supported by history as the bible of Christianity.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 1:24:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Not all religions seek Enlightenment. Most could care less. And when they do care, they are against the Enlightenment, see the Enlightenment era and how it clashed with Christianity.

Most religions seek Salvation, eternal life, forgiveness, I don't ever see knowledge on the list.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 1:26:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 11:47:25 AM, Cermank wrote:
Because no religion can be 'broken', per say.A religion is different from philosophy, the aim of religion is 'enlightenment'. Every religion has its own conception of the 'truth'.

If you are looking for the real truth, one should apply all its logical powers. The first step would be to look for all the possible claims.

Again, religion isn't looking for truth. It claims to already have it without searching! All the answers in the holy book, no thinking, no searching required!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 1:29:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 1:24:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Not all religions seek Enlightenment. Most could care less. And when they do care, they are against the Enlightenment, see the Enlightenment era and how it clashed with Christianity.

Most religions seek Salvation, eternal life, forgiveness, I don't ever see knowledge on the list.

Hm? What kind of knowledge? What about reading holy books? Isn't the point there supposed to be that they're hypothetically gaining knowledge of God and stuff?
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 1:40:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
People do. A lot of people do.

I haven't reseached others half as much as my own faith (preferred term), but, I'm still very interested in discussing and learning about religions around the world.

I have quite a few family friends that are all Hindus and got pretty submerged(forcibly) in their culture.. It's very typical, and easy to relate to; much like every other religion. Reincarnation is very appealing, and sounds awesome.. but it is very shallow, and it's morality is very traditional, and very human.

Buddhists (technically atheist.) are similar to hindus , in that they believe in reincarnation, or, rebirth. A set of principles and rules, that for some reason, help you become enlightened: free from suffering and unlimited potential of the mind. Sort of a self-help religion, with promise of continuing in this world, but doing it with all knowledge.

Judaism is pretty similar to Christianity, except all the hebrew and jewish culture, and traditions.. (which is a lot of there religion). They hold to the torah, and a collections of there own writings.. very legalistic. Man must be this way, or they are doomed-- man can be this way, so some aren't doomed. Plus still believing they are all God's people by relation, makes them a religion that suffers from pride.

Don't know much about islam though..

Now, it's granted that to most outsiders, all beliefs in ""God" or "spitituality" are self helpish or like therapy.. and I would nearly agree. While everyone is seeking for "truth", there is a very noticeable trend about them all (many Christians denominations included...) that always points back to Man, and his ability to seek out and obtain this Ultimate reward; whether it be enlightenment, a heavenly after-life, reincarnation, evolution, etc etc.

They are all like comic books. Like we, humans, are truly good (or can be good); that there are things we CAN do in this life to EARN their eternal rewards.

Christianity, in the theology I hold to, is the opposite. It is foreign and alien to man! Its scriptures tear man to pieces because it's truth-- and it hurts. I don't beleive we are able to like it, or fully understand it.. It's a life we are unable to follow, unappealing, and in turn, causes us to be very much indifferent.

Afterall, being told:

You are ungreatful scum (in the grand scheme of all things), you can't do anything right, you completely are lost, God had to do everything himself-- and you get 0 credit;

doesn't sit well with anyone.

After you research the essential beliefs of any religion (and there many denominations), you will find out which ones share the man-centered trend.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Clash
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 1:48:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I myself have researched many religions throughout the years, especially Christianity and Judaism. This research happened mostly on the internet. Not surprisingly, I found all the religions which I researched flawed and really nothing for me. Especially Christianity with it's trinity, Jesus being God and the son of God, Jesus dying for us, the original sin, and all the contradictions, absurdities and evils of the Bible. I have yet to find a religion better then Islam, and to be honest, I think I never will.
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 1:53:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 1:48:45 PM, Clash wrote:
I myself have researched many religions throughout the years, especially Christianity and Judaism. This research happened mostly on the internet. Not surprisingly, I found all the religions which I researched flawed and really nothing for me. Especially Christianity with it's trinity, Jesus being God and the son of God, Jesus dying for us, the original sin, and all the contradictions, absurdities and evils of the Bible. I have yet to find a religion better then Islam, and to be honest, I think I never will.

+1. This was why I left Christianity in the first place. Original sin (*mocking tone*) Ha! Holy trinity but monothestic? Please explain.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 1:56:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:15:12 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:04:03 AM, Cermank wrote:
Hello.

This is a topic I've been thinking about quite deeply for days now. Religious people are the people who believe that their religion is the true source of enlightenment, right? So for that to be true, a person would have to believe that the 'other' sources of religions are a lie. However, most of the religious people I know don't really delve into the other religions. It's like- Islam? terrorism, Christianity? Stoning the homosexuals, Jainism? Too many restrictions... BAM my religion is the true source bum.

To an extent, I can understand that it is a natural extension of your faith in your parents, but that faith does fade as one reaches teenage, for all the self actualization, most of the people don't really question their religious beliefs if not to completely strip them off. Either you are an atheist, or a christian.

Considering that there are a myriad of religions to chose from, how can people be religious? I am genuinely curious about this. Why are they not in a permanent state of confusion?

Theologians do study other religions and Natural philosophy.
Christianity also asserts the other religions are 'backed' with a power source that is Fallen Angels. So we believe these to be real and have power. They are just not 'good' or from God our creator.

Um...just so we're on the same page, by "fallen angels" you mean satan/lucifer and his boys?

As in, everyone who has a religion that is not yours is following the word of the most evil entity that can be conceived of by your belief system?

If I believed that, I personally wouldn't feel safe just standing by and letting other religions practice. Who's worried about atheists when the rest are following a supernatural anti-deity?
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 9:28:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:40:46 PM, stubs wrote:
At 7/2/2012 12:16:04 PM, Cermank wrote:

What evidence?


Historical, archaeological, and medical. I think to go over all the evidence in favor or against Jesus as God is too much to discuss in a forum haha


But then so is every other religion, don't you think? Hinduism, for example. I don't know if you are familiar with it, but it has a historical epic- Ramayana. Which claims the existence of Lord Ram. So if there is a historical evidence for the existence of Ram, Hinduism is true- every other religion is false. And there is, at least according to Hindus.


I actually have taken a few world religion courses and I have read about the Ramayana. I just don't think Hindu holy text is as supported by history as the bible of Christianity.

Aah.. all right. At least you've thought about exploring other religions. Even if you settled for the religion you grew up with, exploring is rational.

So you're on my list of one of the rational people on the sites. You should be honoured.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 9:34:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 1:26:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/2/2012 11:47:25 AM, Cermank wrote:
Because no religion can be 'broken', per say.A religion is different from philosophy, the aim of religion is 'enlightenment'. Every religion has its own conception of the 'truth'.

If you are looking for the real truth, one should apply all its logical powers. The first step would be to look for all the possible claims.

Again, religion isn't looking for truth. It claims to already have it without searching! All the answers in the holy book, no thinking, no searching required!

Yeah... It's more like- the religions claim to have found the answer, but then so does every religion. If you're a Christian, you believe in the Bible's 'version' of the truth, if you're a Muslim, there's Quran, blah blah blah. However, being a rational human being legitimately in search of enlightenment, one should exhaust all the sources of the 'truth' before settling for the actual truth, as one's logical powers dictate, shouldn't one?

I think a more exact expression would be something like - "The religious search enlightenment, the religions claim to provide them. However, their 'truth' does not coincide.'.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 9:44:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 1:40:54 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
People do. A lot of people do.

I don't see anyone doing that, frankly. Maybe some theologians, as someone pointed out, but rarely does anyone else try to.

I haven't reseached others half as much as my own faith (preferred term), but, I'm still very interested in discussing and learning about religions around the world.

I have quite a few family friends that are all Hindus and got pretty submerged(forcibly) in their culture.. It's very typical, and easy to relate to; much like every other religion. Reincarnation is very appealing, and sounds awesome.. but it is very shallow, and it's morality is very traditional, and very human.

Although this might derail the thread a little, why do you find reincarnation shallow? I'm curious.

Buddhists (technically atheist.) are similar to hindus , in that they believe in reincarnation, or, rebirth. A set of principles and rules, that for some reason, help you become enlightened: free from suffering and unlimited potential of the mind. Sort of a self-help religion, with promise of continuing in this world, but doing it with all knowledge.

Judaism is pretty similar to Christianity, except all the hebrew and jewish culture, and traditions.. (which is a lot of there religion). They hold to the torah, and a collections of there own writings.. very legalistic. Man must be this way, or they are doomed-- man can be this way, so some aren't doomed. Plus still believing they are all God's people by relation, makes them a religion that suffers from pride.

Don't know much about islam though..

Now, it's granted that to most outsiders, all beliefs in ""God" or "spitituality" are self helpish or like therapy.. and I would nearly agree. While everyone is seeking for "truth", there is a very noticeable trend about them all (many Christians denominations included...) that always points back to Man, and his ability to seek out and obtain this Ultimate reward; whether it be enlightenment, a heavenly after-life, reincarnation, evolution, etc etc.

They are all like comic books. Like we, humans, are truly good (or can be good); that there are things we CAN do in this life to EARN their eternal rewards.

Christianity, in the theology I hold to, is the opposite. It is foreign and alien to man! Its scriptures tear man to pieces because it's truth-- and it hurts. I don't beleive we are able to like it, or fully understand it.. It's a life we are unable to follow, unappealing, and in turn, causes us to be very much indifferent.

Afterall, being told:

You are ungreatful scum (in the grand scheme of all things), you can't do anything right, you completely are lost, God had to do everything himself-- and you get 0 credit;

doesn't sit well with anyone.

After you research the essential beliefs of any religion (and there many denominations), you will find out which ones share the man-centered trend.

I am tempted to argue out your conclusion, but I know many people don't like discussing their religion. Though I am glad, at least you did research various religions, and concluded that you believe that God is an above-all entity, a dictator in a sense? If I understand it correctly- a philosopher ruler, to be precise.

I personally believe in the man-is-god philosophy. We are kind of polar-opposites, I see.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2012 9:49:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 1:48:45 PM, Clash wrote:
I myself have researched many religions throughout the years, especially Christianity and Judaism. This research happened mostly on the internet. Not surprisingly, I found all the religions which I researched flawed and really nothing for me. Especially Christianity with it's trinity, Jesus being God and the son of God, Jesus dying for us, the original sin, and all the contradictions, absurdities and evils of the Bible. I have yet to find a religion better then Islam, and to be honest, I think I never will.

See? This is rational. I wonder why most people don't do that. I mean, I guess at least you tried to find your source of truth, even if you seem to have kind of abandoned your search. There are various other religions you might want to research. I find Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism pretty appealing, if you want to check them out.
TanusBarbarus
Posts: 124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 12:02:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:04:03 AM, Cermank wrote:
Hello.

This is a topic I've been thinking about quite deeply for days now. Religious people are the people who believe that their religion is the true source of enlightenment, right? So for that to be true, a person would have to believe that the 'other' sources of religions are a lie. However, most of the religious people I know don't really delve into the other religions. It's like- Islam? terrorism, Christianity? Stoning the homosexuals, Jainism? Too many restrictions... BAM my religion is the true source bum.

To an extent, I can understand that it is a natural extension of your faith in your parents, but that faith does fade as one reaches teenage, for all the self actualization, most of the people don't really question their religious beliefs if not to completely strip them off. Either you are an atheist, or a christian.

Considering that there are a myriad of religions to chose from, how can people be religious? I am genuinely curious about this. Why are they not in a permanent state of confusion?

This topic reminds me of my own journey, a little of which I will share.
I was raised in a Catholic setting during early childhood, but the type of worship seen there seemed joyless and mechanical (and peace be upon you...).
My mother began to search for something else when I was 11, and dragged me along with her. She flirted briefly with Mormonism, but didn't pursue it once she was appraised of the tithing requirements (thank God!). She then became involved in a Baptist Church, and the excitement pulled her in. Like many young, impressionable kids wanting to please their parents, I followed along, and found much to my liking. I began to devour the Bible and became quite fluent, and being interested in performance from a young age, I even preached to my youth group and entertained thoughts of becoming a pastor. My one flaw (from several pastor's point of view) was my propensity to question everything. I wanted to understand everything, and reconcile any inconsistencies I saw in text or doctrine.
It was during this time that I began to research other religions, in an attempt to understand why mine was rightly guided and others weren't.
My first in depth study was of Mormonism, an easy target if one is looking to make Christianity seem plausible. No offense to any Mormons out there, but the history of Joseph Smith, the early church, the lack of historical or archeological evidence for the North American cities mentioned in the Book of Mormon, not to mention the capricious nature of the Mormon God (if black men hold the priesthood, the blessing of the church will be removed and a curse put in it's place, only to have a revelation in the 1970's that black men COULD NOW hold the priesthood) makes it a hard pill to swallow for anyone with any degree of analytical thinking skills.
During this time, I began to seriously question my own faith, especially where it, or more specifically the Bible, conflicted with my other great passion - science. I found it impossible to reconcile stories like Jonah and the really big fish, to the Biblical account of the flood, to the story of creation in Genesis with what I knew about how the world worked, and I could find no one who could explain these discrepancies with anything other than "taking Gods word on faith" or even worse, advice to reject any science that conflicted with the Bible.
While many out there are content to view parts of the Bible with skepticism, seeing the stories as allegories not to be taken literally while maintaining belief in the rest of the narrative, especially the Gospels, I could not perform the mental gymnastics required to convince myself that all of these stories were anything other than man made.
Over the course of a year, I finally was able to divest myself of the final vestiges of religion and eventually proudly proclaim my atheism. For a few years, my study of other religions stopped as well.
It wasn't until after 9/11 that I picked up another "Holy" book, this time the Quran, and began to study it and it's history.
Now years later, having read the Quran several times, Bukhari, Muslim and several other hadiths, as well as biographies of the Prophet written by his relative contemporaries, I believe I can say that I have a better grasp of Islam than most of it's adherents, especially since most of them learn it in Arabic while not being able to speak the language itself.
I can hear the outraged cries from both Muslims and even non Muslims, typical of the religious, saying that there is no way a non believer can truly understand the scriptures, as though there were some arcane knowledge that is only transferred to those who believe, and to those people I politely say "Wrong". This isn't rocket science, or particle physics. It is a religion based on the Quran and the Sunnah, as written down by a man named Mohammed and his followers 1400 years ago.
At any rate, it is my view that to truly understand any religion, one must study. One can be an atheist without understanding the religions that you reject, but knowledge of them levels the playing field, in that it makes debating a subject possible using the holy texts of the religious to show that you are coming from a place of knowledge, not just unbelief.
Of course, that is just my humble opinion....
I invite others to comment.
Maintaining the illusion of consciousness since 1969...
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 12:10:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Rabbis are compelled to learn about other religions in addition to Judaism, I believe.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 12:24:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:04:03 AM, Cermank wrote:
Hello.

This is a topic I've been thinking about quite deeply for days now. Religious people are the people who believe that their religion is the true source of enlightenment, right? So for that to be true, a person would have to believe that the 'other' sources of religions are a lie.

Not necessarily. I believe that other religions are also from God. However some distortions are present in them. It is not necessary to consider them are forgeries and we can always explore and celebrate the common features.

However, most of the religious people I know don't really delve into the other religions.

Almost all religious people I know (mostly Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims) are extremely curious about other religions and some of them are quite knowledgeable. It is the non-practicing followers of religions who are quick to condemn other faith, mostly since they know nothing about their own religion and have no real confidence in their own faith.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 12:27:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/2/2012 12:16:04 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/2/2012 11:56:27 AM, stubs wrote:
That is why when people tell me the want to start looking at different religions I tell them they should start with Christianity. I do this for 2 main reasons. Christianity is completely falsifiable. If Jesus did not exist or rise from the dead, then Christianity is flat out wrong. However, if the claims of Jesus are true, then no other religion can be completely right. That is why I chose Christianity.

But then so is every other religion, don't you think? Hinduism, for example. I don't know if you are familiar with it, but it has a historical epic- Ramayana. Which claims the existence of Lord Ram. So if there is a historical evidence for the existence of Ram, Hinduism is true- every other religion is false. And there is, at least according to Hindus.

This is not not correct, AFAIK.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.