Jump to topic:

inerrency or infallible

stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 6:01:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have notice a few post on this and I havn't studied this really at all so my views are open to change. However, my initial beliefs are the original writters of the bible were inspired by God and everything they wrote down is true. I don't believe that anyone who translated or wrote commentaries ect. Were inspired. Which would that be considered, and what do you guys think of the issue?

Thanks for your time.
Websterremembered
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 6:13:55 PM
At 7/4/2012 6:01:11 PM, stubs wrote:
I have notice a few post on this and I havn't studied this really at all so my views are open to change. However, my initial beliefs are the original writters of the bible were inspired by God and everything they wrote down is true. I don't believe that anyone who translated or wrote commentaries ect. Were inspired. Which would that be considered, and what do you guys think of the issue?

Thanks for your time.

I think and believe that the authors may have been inspired and clearly believed in god. However I believe the Christian religion as with all others is meant to bring people together not tear them apart, divine influence? try people cowering in fear of a purposeless life.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 6:31:11 PM
At 7/4/2012 6:13:55 PM, Websterremembered wrote:
At 7/4/2012 6:01:11 PM, stubs wrote:

I think and believe that the authors may have been inspired and clearly believed in god. However I believe the Christian religion as with all others is meant to bring people together not tear them apart, divine influence? try people cowering in fear of a purposeless life.

Luke 12:51 "Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 6:48:27 PM
The scriptures themselves are perfect and authoritative, but they are not infallible - nor can they be. They never were. Infallibility, if it existed, would be an attribute of man.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 6:56:39 PM
Also, just reading the gospels, I don't really see Jesus just saying all the right things to please people and bringing peace to people. I think Jesus does bring peace, and joy, and hope, but I also see a lot of times Jesus pissed a lot of people off and the more Jesus talked, the more people seemed to leave.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 7:26:06 PM
I think that there are certain parts of scripture that definitely pit the doctrine of God's goodness up against the doctrine of inerrancy. I'm aware of some of the traditional answers, but I find myself generally unable to sympathize with them because they call into question the same types of deep-seated God-given moral convictions which are at the core of my Christian faith to begin with.