Christ for atheists sermon.

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 3:41:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/25/2009 3:40:40 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

52 minutes and 19 seconds that could buy you ETERNITY..
why not invest?

Nothing to invest in ;)
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 4:04:03 PM
At 8/25/2009 3:41:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

why not invest?

Nothing to invest in ;)

More like not worth investing in.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 4:29:02 PM
I'd rather buy a shamwow.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 4:47:31 PM
why not invest?
Because there are millions of parties who all make the same claim, with similar amounts of time, with different and utterly incompatible things to say, and I'd die of hunger if I looked at more than the fraction I've taken to conclude it's all a load of hooey.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 4:50:12 PM
At 8/25/2009 4:47:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
why not invest?
Because there are millions of parties who all make the same claim, with similar amounts of time, with different and utterly incompatible things to say, and I'd die of hunger if I looked at more than the fraction I've taken to conclude it's all a load of hooey.

Your winner.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 6:25:03 PM
At 8/25/2009 4:33:29 PM, Nags wrote:
At 8/25/2009 4:29:02 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I'd rather buy a shamwow.

I'd rather buy a SlapChop.

I gotta get me one of those. XD
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:04:39 PM
Unlike shamwow, there are actually product testing videos that show that slap chop actually works close to what it is advertised as.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:11:43 PM
why not invest?

You could win a free trip to anywhere you want in the universe, plus 50 tons of 99.99% gold bars, and magical powers to get any five women in the world to love you! All you have to do is fill out this survey. It only takes minutes!

Why not invest?

Well, because you haven't shown me why I would want to invest in it. I'm not talking about the investment claim itself, I'm talking about the people who are telling me to invest. Popups are not very trustworthy. Neither are telemarketers. Neither are magazine ads. Neither are religious fanatics online who quote scripture at every turn to make personal attacks on everyone who disagrees with his personal indefensible choice of superstition.

Obviously, you've never done any kind of investment in your life.

Even a 17 year old who can't imagine amounts of over $200* is beating you at this.

*That's 200 USD as of August 25th 2009. I expect we'll hit hyperinflation soon...
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 7:23:49 PM

why not invest?

Depreciating asset. http://www.religioustolerance.org...
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2009 5:14:21 AM
You all CHOSE to invest in your own DDO popularity: An extremely POOR investment.

The fear of man is a SNARE.. But whoever PUTS (chooses) his trust in the Lord will be safe.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2009 5:53:11 AM
But whoever PUTS (chooses) his trust in the Lord will be safe

Safe from? The Lord. That is the part that you left out and the part that makes it all seem a bit silly. Trust in the Lord and the Lord want torture you? That makes the all powerful creator of the universe out to be a conceited, childish tyrant. I just can't buy that...
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2009 9:05:11 AM
At 8/26/2009 5:53:11 AM, Floid wrote:

Safe from? The Lord. That is the part that you left out and the part that makes it all seem a bit silly. Trust in the Lord and the Lord want torture you? That makes the all powerful creator of the universe out to be a conceited, childish tyrant. I just can't buy that...

No, safe from being ABANDONED to our OWN devices and our OWN choices. (satan!)

An infant doesn't fear it's parents half as much as it fears seperation from them..
The Cross.. the Cross.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2009 2:30:28 PM
At 8/26/2009 9:05:11 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

An infant doesn't fear it's parents half as much as it fears seperation from them..

Well, lets look at the evidence.

Who made hell? God.
Who made Satan? God.
Who made adam and eve, knowing that they would sin? God.

So God makes everything. God knows everything.

This is akin to a parent who buys a gun, places it on the table, knowing that his baby, who is 10 months old will pick up the gun and shoot a stranger, but tells the baby not to pick up the gun. Then, after the baby has shot the stranger, the parent takes the baby to his basement, and tortures him for the rest of his life.

Clearly the Baby is at fault! Hes the one who chose to pick up the gun, even after being told not to. Hes the one who shot the stranger. He deserves to be tortured for the rest of his life!
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2009 7:13:36 PM
I would ask you guys to kindly stop derailing the topic. We were talking about shamwow and the slapchop >.>

For shame.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 9:58:06 AM
At 8/28/2009 2:30:28 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 8/26/2009 9:05:11 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Well, lets look at the evidence.

Who made hell? God.
Who made Satan? God.
Who made adam and eve, knowing that they would sin? God.

Satan essentially made himself who he is by his own CHOICE.. something you guys detest the very thought of! that YOU are the sum of your CHOICES.. as is hell.

Again, Adam and Eve created there own fallen nature through disobedience..
Which leads us neatly onto where EVERYONE else on this forum ALREADY is: namely, the question of free-will..

So God makes everything. God knows everything.

This is akin to a parent who buys a gun, places it on the table, knowing that his baby, who is 10 months old will pick up the gun and shoot a stranger, but tells the baby not to pick up the gun. Then, after the baby has shot the stranger, the parent takes the baby to his basement, and tortures him for the rest of his life.

Clearly the Baby is at fault! Hes the one who chose to pick up the gun, even after being told not to. Hes the one who shot the stranger. He deserves to be tortured for the rest of his life!

Oh.. you've caught up; good.
Although you've picked the most extreme example possible (ALWAYS a sign of a weak position) we may still go to the opposite extreme and ask: if we, LITERALLY, make a room lined with cotton wool, would the baby experience the world in any real sense at all?
Without the choice of free-will would Adam and Eve have had freedom in any real sense at all? or have just been robots?
The Cross.. the Cross.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 10:01:34 AM
At 8/26/2009 5:14:21 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
You all CHOSE to invest in your own DDO popularity: An extremely POOR investment.

The fear of man is a SNARE.. But whoever PUTS (chooses) his trust in the Lord will be safe.

According to you we are using one of gods creations.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 10:01:58 AM
At 8/28/2009 7:13:36 PM, Kleptin wrote:
I would ask you guys to kindly stop derailing the topic. We were talking about shamwow and the slapchop >.>

For shame.

I'm sorry Eric, that you are STILL not getting enough attention but this IS the religious forum and some of us wish to seriously discuss religion.. NOT indulge in petty point scoring and adolescent 'humour'..

Toodle pip.
The Cross.. the Cross.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 1:34:43 PM
At 8/29/2009 9:58:06 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Satan essentially made himself who he is by his own CHOICE.. something you guys detest the very thought of! that YOU are the sum of your CHOICES.. as is hell.
Again, God didnt know WHICH choice Satan, or we, would choose? Then again, congratulations, God is not all knowing.

Although you've picked the most extreme example possible (ALWAYS a sign of a weak position) we may still go to the opposite extreme and ask: if we, LITERALLY, make a room lined with cotton wool, would the baby experience the world in any real sense at all?

Youve missed the point entirely. The point about my analogy, is who gets the blame, who is at fault. If a parent leaves a gun in a room, knowing that his child would pick up the gun, and shoot someone, who is responsible? Is the child, who didnt know better, who has never known pain, never known what is wrong(Which is what Adam and Eve in Eden is, isnt it? No pain, no knowledge of right or wrong, no knowledge of consequences), at fault for picking up the gun, or is the parent wrong for placing the gun in arms reach within the child, with prior knowledge of what the Child would do?

Without the choice of free-will would Adam and Eve have had freedom in any real sense at all? or have just been robots?

Wow.

How is placing the tree up on a cliff, that is not easily accessable, creating robots?

I mean, why do you think we have locked drawers and high shelves in the first place? Where would you place your gun, at the bottom, unlocked drawer, or the highest, locked drawer? A child COULD access it, if he tried hard enough. But guess what? This is the point. The tree of knowledge wasnt atop a high cliff. Or at the bottom of a deep pit. It was right infront of Adam and Eve, at ground level. I am not saying that God shouldnt have placed the tree there in the first place. Im saying why God didnt place it at a better location.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 1:58:27 PM
At 8/29/2009 1:34:43 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 8/29/2009 9:58:06 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Again, God didnt know WHICH choice Satan, or we, would choose? Then again, congratulations, God is not all knowing.

God exists outside of time: He sees all choices and all consequences at ONCE: They are STILL choices.

Youve missed the point entirely. The point about my analogy, is who gets the blame, who is at fault. If a parent leaves a gun in a room, knowing that his child would pick up the gun, and shoot someone, who is responsible? Is the child, who didnt know better, who has never known pain, never known what is wrong(Which is what Adam and Eve in Eden is, isnt it? No pain, no knowledge of right or wrong, no knowledge of consequences), at fault for picking up the gun, or is the parent wrong for placing the gun in arms reach within the child, with prior knowledge of what the Child would do?

But this is where the whole child analogy fails: Adam and Eve were NOT children.. AND God warned them explicitly: 'YOU WILL DIE.'

Wow.

How is placing the tree up on a cliff, that is not easily accessable, creating robots?

I mean, why do you think we have locked drawers and high shelves in the first place? Where would you place your gun, at the bottom, unlocked drawer, or the highest, locked drawer? A child COULD access it, if he tried hard enough. But guess what? This is the point. The tree of knowledge wasnt atop a high cliff. Or at the bottom of a deep pit. It was right infront of Adam and Eve, at ground level. I am not saying that God shouldnt have placed the tree there in the first place. Im saying why God didnt place it at a better location.

OH you mean a choice that ISN'T a choice? Now why didn't God think of that..

The one choice (being free-will) is the PERFECT compromise in that it protects them from the horrors (of multiple choice) but also gives them ultimate freedom or at least the choice of ultimate freedom..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2009 11:04:46 PM

We are all a product of our own devices and choices, you chose to believe in a creator and chose to follow his so called word as gospel.

I don't fear god nor do I fear separation from him. I don't need an almighty being to make my choices for me, I'd rather take responsibility for my owns actions and impact the world and those around me according to my own free will, be it good or bad.

Religious types on the other hand fear punishment from an invisible man, fear taking responsibility for their own actions, and fear having no almighty scapegoat to blame their shortcomings on.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 5:02:28 AM
"An infant doesn't fear it's parents half as much as it fears seperation from them.."

But there are no loving parents that would torture their child for any reason.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 7:07:57 AM
At 8/25/2009 7:04:39 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Unlike shamwow, there are actually product testing videos that show that slap chop actually works close to what it is advertised as.

They work, and there are many types of them, it's not a new invention by any means. I bought one at IKEA. Great for chopping onions (although the waste is significant).

Obviously, this is proof of Gods existence. :)
So prove me wrong, then.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 9:31:32 AM
why not invest?

Are you selling God or a timeshare?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 10:07:57 AM
At 9/2/2009 9:31:32 AM, Volkov wrote:
why not invest?

Congratulations Sir! I am calling you from Speedy-Quick-Salavation PLC with the great news that you and a friend of your choice have been awarded free salvation and eternal life in the world to come... that's right Sir... all you have to do is attend an introductory meeting and pay a small processing fee and Salvation is yours.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 11:00:00 AM
At 9/2/2009 9:31:32 AM, Volkov wrote:
why not invest?

It called an allusion: it's something that we adults do to explain things to you children.. we 'allude' to something you perhaps already understand.. like putting away your quarters in the cookie jar.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 6:04:58 AM
It called an allusion

Illusion is more like it... especially when you start talking about invisible wizards that can telepathically communicate with all of humanity at once and lakes of eternal fire and streets of gold with gates of pearl. Illusion, not allusion.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 7:38:04 AM
At 9/3/2009 6:04:58 AM, Floid wrote:
It called an allusion

Illusion is more like it... especially when you start talking about invisible wizards that can telepathically communicate with all of humanity at once and lakes of eternal fire and streets of gold with gates of pearl. Illusion, not allusion.

And this is childish mockery and scoffing.. NOT debate.
The Cross.. the Cross.