Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Bible Test

TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 6:53:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What do these verses make you think of? Please use verses to justify your submission.

Isaiah 30:27 See, the Name of the LORD comes from afar, with burning anger and dense clouds of smoke; his lips are full of wrath, and his tongue is a consuming fire.

Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Deuteronomy 4:11 You came near and stood at the foot of the mountain while it blazed with fire to the very heavens, with black clouds and deep darkness.

Deuteronomy 5:4 The LORD spoke to you face to face out of the fire on the mountain.

Deuteronomy 33:2 He said: "The LORD came from Sinai and dawned over them from Seir; he shone forth from Mount Paran. He came with myriads of holy ones from the south, from his mountain slopes.

Isaiah 10:17 The Light of Israel will become a fire, their Holy One a flame; in a single day it will burn and consume his thorns and his briers.

Isaiah 33:14 The sinners in Zion are terrified; trembling grips the godless: "Who of us can dwell with the consuming fire? Who of us can dwell with everlasting burning?"

Isaiah 66:15 See, the LORD is coming with fire, and his chariots are like a whirlwind; he will bring down his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.

Jeremiah 4:4 Circumcise yourselves to the LORD, circumcise your hearts, you men of Judah and people of
Jerusalem, or my wrath will break out and burn like fire because of the evil you have done--burn with no one to quench it.

Ezekiel 22:31 So I will pour out my wrath on them and consume them with my fiery anger, bringing down on their own heads all they have done, declares the Sovereign LORD."

Daniel 7:10 A river of fire was flowing, coming out from before him. Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. The court was seated, and the books were opened.

Lamentations 4:11 The LORD has given full vent to his wrath; he has poured out his fierce anger. He kindled a fire in Zion that consumed her foundations.

Ezekiel 7:8 I am about to pour out my wrath on you and spend my anger against you; I will judge you according to your conduct and repay you for all your detestable practices.

Exodus 3:12 And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain."

Isaiah 29:6 the LORD Almighty will come with thunder and earthquake and great noise, with windstorm and tempest and flames of a devouring fire.

Revelation 11:19 Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and within his temple was seen the ark of his covenant. And there came flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an earthquake and a great hailstorm.

Exodus 19:16 On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled.

2 Samuel 22:10 He parted the heavens and came down; dark clouds were under his feet.

Psalm 104:3 and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind.

Jeremiah 4:13 Look! He advances like the clouds, his chariots come like a whirlwind, his horses are swifter than eagles. Woe to us! We are ruined!

1 Timothy 6:16 The blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords: who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power eternal. Amen"

Deuteronomy 4:32-43 "For ask now of the days that are past ... whether there hath been any such thing as this great thing is? ... Did ever people hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as thou hast heard, and live? Or hath God assayed to go and take him a nation from the midst of another nation, by trials , by signs, and by wonders ... according to all that the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?"

Exodus 19:3 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain 9 And the LORD said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with thee, and believe thee for ever. 12 And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death. 13 there shall not a hand touch it, but he shall surely be stoned, or shot through; whether it be beast or man, it shall not live. 16 And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, Rev. 4.5 and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled. 18 And mount Si'nai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire:

Deut. 4.11, 12 and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.

PSA 18:8 There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.

ISA 30:27 Behold, the name of the LORD cometh from far, burning with his anger, and the burden thereof is heavy: his lips are full of indignation, and his tongue as a devouring fire:

Isaiah: 5:26 And he will lift up an ensign to the nations from far, and will hiss unto them from the end of the earth: and, behold, they shall come with speed swiftly.

Revelations: 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Exodus: 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Matthew 13:50 "furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth"

Revelation 20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death – the lake of fire.

Matthew 13:42 Jesus Christ said the lost will finally be cast "into a furnace of fire."

Matthew 3:12 John the Baptist said the lost will end up in "unquenchable fire."

Numbers 16:35 And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense.

1 Kings 18:38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.

Genesis 15:17And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.

Leviticus 9:24And there came a fire out from before the LORD, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat: which when all the people saw, they shouted, and fell on their faces.

1 Chronicles 21:26And David built there an altar unto the LORD, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings, and called upon the LORD; and he answered him from heaven by fire upon the altar of burnt offering.

2 Chronicles 7:1Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the house.

Hebrews 12:29 for our "God is a consuming fire."

Exodus 15:7 In the greatness of your majesty you threw down those who opposed you. You unleashed your burning anger; it consumed them like stubble.

Exodus 24:17 To the Israelites the glory of the LORD looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain.

2 Samuel 22:9 Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it.

Psalm 97:3 Fire goes before him and consumes his foes on every side.

Jeremiah 25:37 The peaceful meadows will be laid waste because of the fierce anger of the LORD.

Hebrews 10:27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

Hebrews 10:31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 6:53:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hebrews 12:18 You have not come to a mountain that can be touched and that is burning with fire; to darkness, gloom and storm;

2 Peter 3:7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

Daniel 7:9 "As I looked, "thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool. His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze.

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

Numbers 16:34 At their cries, all the Israelites around them fled, shouting, "The earth is going to swallow us too!"

Numbers 16.35 And fire came out from the LORD and consumed the 250 men who were offering the incense.

Revelation 11:5 If anyone tries to harm them, fire comes from their mouths and devours their enemies. This is how anyone who wants to harm them must die.

Leviticus 10:2 So fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD.

Numbers 11:1 Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp.

Numbers 26:10 The earth opened its mouth and swallowed them along with Korah, whose followers died when the fire devoured the 250 men. And they served as a warning sign.

Psalm 50:3 Our God comes and will not be silent; a fire devours before him, and around him a tempest rages.

Revelation 9:2 When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss.

Exodus 20:18 When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 7:00:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
OH! HO!
Let me try! I love disconnecting stuff from context.

Um, Moby dick! From the title we all KNOW it is about sex. Let me prove it!

"Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers' hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,- Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness."

What it meant some few centuries ago, is irrelevant! Hairy today porno tomorrow, I say!

Do not bother saying it is about whaling. That is just English teacher propaganda. They are twisted individuals lying to us!
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 7:04:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 7:00:53 PM, Gileandos wrote:
OH! HO!
Let me try! I love disconnecting stuff from context.

Um, Moby dick! From the title we all KNOW it is about sex. Let me prove it!

"Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers' hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,- Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness."


What it meant some few centuries ago, is irrelevant! Hairy today porno tomorrow, I say!


Do not bother saying it is about whaling. That is just English teacher propaganda. They are twisted individuals lying to us!

Oh dear. I'm debating with someone who talks about school teachers. No wonder you talk so much about sex and porn too.

Anyway, if anyone a bit more mature would like to give the test a go you do not have a hard act to follow.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 8:18:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Isaiah 30:27 See, the Name of the LORD comes from afar, with burning anger and dense clouds of smoke; his lips are full of wrath, and his tongue is a consuming fire."

Blazing a spliff where the mouth piece is too hot.

"Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."

A supposed all powerful and wise creator of the cosmos having petty ape-like emotions.

"Deuteronomy 4:11 You came near and stood at the foot of the mountain while it blazed with fire to the very heavens, with black clouds and deep darkness."

The mountain can smoke weed.

"Deuteronomy 5:4 The LORD spoke to you face to face out of the fire on the mountain."

Hallucination.

"Deuteronomy 33:2 He said: "The LORD came from Sinai and dawned over them from Seir; he shone forth from Mount Paran. He came with myriads of holy ones from the south, from his mountain slopes."

The Lord has some pretty sweet holy ski hills.
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 8:26:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 8:18:44 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
"Isaiah 30:27 See, the Name of the LORD comes from afar, with burning anger and dense clouds of smoke; his lips are full of wrath, and his tongue is a consuming fire."

Blazing a spliff where the mouth piece is too hot.

"Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."

A supposed all powerful and wise creator of the cosmos having petty ape-like emotions.

"Deuteronomy 4:11 You came near and stood at the foot of the mountain while it blazed with fire to the very heavens, with black clouds and deep darkness."

The mountain can smoke weed.

"Deuteronomy 5:4 The LORD spoke to you face to face out of the fire on the mountain."

Hallucination.

"Deuteronomy 33:2 He said: "The LORD came from Sinai and dawned over them from Seir; he shone forth from Mount Paran. He came with myriads of holy ones from the south, from his mountain slopes."

The Lord has some pretty sweet holy ski hills.

Is this forum for under 16s? It seems a tad inane.
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 10:26:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 8:26:05 PM, TheFogHorn wrote:
Is this forum for under 16s? It seems a tad inane.

You asked the inane question, so you got inane answers.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 10:40:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 10:26:28 PM, wiploc wrote:
At 7/11/2012 8:26:05 PM, TheFogHorn wrote:
Is this forum for under 16s? It seems a tad inane.

You asked the inane question, so you got inane answers.

I was saddened that she did not like my reductio. It hurt me. I love the moby dick 'out of context' quote.
baggins
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 1:17:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
What do these verses make you think of? Please use verses to justify your submission.

Deuteronomy 33:2 - And he said, The Lord came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand went a fiery law for them.

Mount Sinai makes me think of Prophet Moses (Peace on Him)

Mount Seir makes me think of Messiah Jesus (Peace on Him)

Mount Paran makes me think of Prophet Muhammad (Peace on Him)

Ten Thousands of saints is an obvious reference to 10,000 companions of Prophet Muhammad (Peace of Him) who established Islam in Mekkah.

Fiery law is most probably a reference to the Shariah.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 1:19:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 7:00:53 PM, Gileandos wrote:
OH! HO!
Let me try! I love disconnecting stuff from context.

Um, Moby dick! From the title we all KNOW it is about sex. Let me prove it!

"Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers' hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,- Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness."


What it meant some few centuries ago, is irrelevant! Hairy today porno tomorrow, I say!


Do not bother saying it is about whaling. That is just English teacher propaganda. They are twisted individuals lying to us!

LOLOLOL
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Knologist_Prime
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 10:18:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"What do these verses make you think of? Please use verses to justify your submission." - Foghorn

I think your presentation of the scriptures IS one sided.

Just like anyone in authority, they will strongly remind those under them the penalties of willfully breaking established laws and rules. Furthermore, anyone in authority has the authority to commute punishment also, right?

Example: Parents display the exact mannerisms in the cited texts of your opening discussion, when parents are 'ticked' off by their child(ren). Don't they?

So by your one sided reasoning, parents are mean and vindictive cause it's their way or the highway. And that's every parents right!

In any government we are born under, we are forced to comply with the laws and rules, even though we did not agree to it. It's the government's laws and rules, it's their way or prison.

So by your one sided reasoning, every government is totalitarian, telling it's citizens what they can or can't do, right?

You have not presented balance from cited scriptures, their are benefits to being obedient to those in authority, either by force or by choice. Right?

Back to the scriptural view...
The Isrealites, AGREED, to the terms of God choosing them as His people at Mount Sinai , and because of God keeping His promise to Abraham to make him into a mighty nation.

You didn't cite the balance of the person of God. You can't sully a person reputation like that, no matter who it is. You are presenting a 'hit' piece on God.

(Deuteronomy 7:7-16) 7 "It was not because of YOUR being the most populous of all the peoples that Jehovah showed affection for YOU so that he chose YOU, for YOU were the least of all the peoples. 8 But it was because of Jehovah's loving YOU, and because of his keeping the sworn statement that he had sworn to YOUR forefathers[Abraham, Issac, Jacob], that Jehovah brought YOU out with a strong hand, that he might redeem you from the house of slaves, from the hand of Phar'aoh the king of Egypt. 9 And you well know that Jehovah your God is the [true] God, the faithful God, keeping covenant and loving-kindness in the case of those who love him and those who keep his commandments to a thousand generations, 10 but repaying to his face the one who hates him by destroying him. He will not hesitate toward the one who hates him; he will repay him to his face. 11 And you must keep the commandment and the regulations and the judicial decisions that I am commanding you today by doing them. 12 "And it must occur that, because YOU continue listening to these judicial decisions and YOU do keep them and do carry them out, Jehovah your God must keep toward you the covenant and the loving-kindness about which he swore to your forefathers. 13 And he will certainly love you and bless you and multiply you and bless the fruit of your belly and the fruit of your soil, your grain and your new wine and your oil, the young of your cows and the progeny of your flock, on the soil that he swore to your forefathers to give to you. 14 The most blessed of all the peoples you will become. There will not prove to be in you a male or a female without offspring, nor among your domestic animals. 15 And Jehovah will certainly remove from you every sickness; and as for all the evil diseases of Egypt that you have known, he will not place them upon you, and he will indeed put them upon all those who hate you. 16 And you must consume all the peoples whom Jehovah your God is giving to you. Your eye must not feel sorry for them; and you must not serve their gods, because that will be a snare to you.

(Exodus 34:5-7) . . .And Jehovah proceeded to come down in the cloud and station himself with him there and declare the name of Jehovah. 6 And Jehovah went passing by before his face and declaring: "Jehovah, Jehovah, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness and truth, 7 preserving loving-kindness for thousands, pardoning error and transgression and sin, but by no means will he give exemption from punishment, bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons and upon grandsons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation."

(Numbers 14:11-21) . . .Finally Jehovah said to Moses: "How long will this people treat me without respect, and how long will they not put faith in me for all the signs that I performed in among them? 12 Let me strike them with pestilence and drive them away, and let me make you a nation greater and mightier than they are." 13 But Moses said to Jehovah: "Then the Egyptians will be bound to hear that you by your power have led this people up out of their midst. 14 And they will be bound to tell it to the inhabitants of this land. They have heard that you are Jehovah in among this people, who has appeared face to face. You are Jehovah, and your cloud is standing over them, and you are going before them in the pillar of cloud by day and in the pillar of fire by night. 15 Were you to put this people to death as one man, then the nations who have heard of your fame would certainly say this, 16 ‘Because of Jehovah's not being able to bring this people into the land about which he swore to them he proceeded to slaughter them in the wilderness.' 17 And now, please, let your power become great, O Jehovah, just as you have spoken, saying, 18 ‘Jehovah, slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness, pardoning error and transgression, but by no means will he give exemption from punishment, bringing punishment for the error of the fathers upon sons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation.' 19 Forgive, please, the error of this people according to the greatness of your loving-kindness, and just as you have pardoned this people from Egypt onward until now." 20 Then Jehovah said: "I do forgive according to your word. 21 And, on the other hand, as I live, all the earth will be filled with the glory of Jehovah.

An authority figure has the power to enforce laws and rules OR forgive and commute them, based on extenuating circumstances.

Isn't that the type of authority figure you want to have, if you were being judged for something. Someone balanced and reasonable and meeting out to the 'proper degree' justice, when we are asking for mercy?

(Jeremiah 30:11) 11 "For I am with you," is the utterance of Jehovah, "to save you; but I shall make an extermination among all the nations to which I have scattered you. However, in your case I shall make no extermination. And I shall have to correct you to the proper degree, as I shall by no means leave you unpunished."
Truth, is bias." - Knologist-Prime
"Words, means, things." - Knologist-Prime
"The Rules of Grammar in any Language, MUST be obeyed." - Knologist-Prime
"Artifacts are FACTS." - Knologist-Prime
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:05:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 10:18:59 AM, Knologist_Prime wrote:
"What do these verses make you think of? Please use verses to justify your submission." - Foghorn

I think your presentation of the scriptures IS one sided.

Just like anyone in authority, they will strongly remind those under them the penalties of willfully breaking established laws and rules. Furthermore, anyone in authority has the authority to commute punishment also, right?

Example: Parents display the exact mannerisms in the cited texts of your opening discussion, when parents are 'ticked' off by their child(ren). Don't they?

So by your one sided reasoning, parents are mean and vindictive cause it's their way or the highway. And that's every parents right!

In any government we are born under, we are forced to comply with the laws and rules, even though we did not agree to it. It's the government's laws and rules, it's their way or prison.

So by your one sided reasoning, every government is totalitarian, telling it's citizens what they can or can't do, right?

You have not presented balance from cited scriptures, their are benefits to being obedient to those in authority, either by force or by choice. Right?

Back to the scriptural view...
The Isrealites, AGREED, to the terms of God choosing them as His people at Mount Sinai , and because of God keeping His promise to Abraham to make him into a mighty nation.

You didn't cite the balance of the person of God. You can't sully a person reputation like that, no matter who it is. You are presenting a 'hit' piece on God.

(Deuteronomy 7:7-16) 7 "It was not because of YOUR being the most populous of all the peoples that Jehovah showed affection for YOU so that he chose YOU, for YOU were the least of all the peoples. 8 But it was because of Jehovah's loving YOU, and because of his keeping the sworn statement that he had sworn to YOUR forefathers[Abraham, Issac, Jacob], that Jehovah brought YOU out with a strong hand, that he might redeem you from the house of slaves, from the hand of Phar'aoh the king of Egypt. 9 And you well know that Jehovah your God is the [true] God, the faithful God, keeping covenant and loving-kindness in the case of those who love him and those who keep his commandments to a thousand generations, 10 but repaying to his face the one who hates him by destroying him. He will not hesitate toward the one who hates him; he will repay him to his face. 11 And you must keep the commandment and the regulations and the judicial decisions that I am commanding you today by doing them. 12 "And it must occur that, because YOU continue listening to these judicial decisions and YOU do keep them and do carry them out, Jehovah your God must keep toward you the covenant and the loving-kindness about which he swore to your forefathers. 13 And he will certainly love you and bless you and multiply you and bless the fruit of your belly and the fruit of your soil, your grain and your new wine and your oil, the young of your cows and the progeny of your flock, on the soil that he swore to your forefathers to give to you. 14 The most blessed of all the peoples you will become. There will not prove to be in you a male or a female without offspring, nor among your domestic animals. 15 And Jehovah will certainly remove from you every sickness; and as for all the evil diseases of Egypt that you have known, he will not place them upon you, and he will indeed put them upon all those who hate you. 16 And you must consume all the peoples whom Jehovah your God is giving to you. Your eye must not feel sorry for them; and you must not serve their gods, because that will be a snare to you.

(Exodus 34:5-7) . . .And Jehovah proceeded to come down in the cloud and station himself with him there and declare the name of Jehovah. 6 And Jehovah went passing by before his face and declaring: "Jehovah, Jehovah, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness and truth, 7 preserving loving-kindness for thousands, pardoning error and transgression and sin, but by no means will he give exemption from punishment, bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons and upon grandsons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation."

(Numbers 14:11-21) . . .Finally Jehovah said to Moses: "How long will this people treat me without respect, and how long will they not put faith in me for all the signs that I performed in among them? 12 Let me strike them with pestilence and drive them away, and let me make you a nation greater and mightier than they are." 13 But Moses said to Jehovah: "Then the Egyptians will be bound to hear that you by your power have led this people up out of their midst. 14 And they will be bound to tell it to the inhabitants of this land. They have heard that you are Jehovah in among this people, who has appeared face to face. You are Jehovah, and your cloud is standing over them, and you are going before them in the pillar of cloud by day and in the pillar of fire by night. 15 Were you to put this people to death as one man, then the nations who have heard of your fame would certainly say this, 16 ‘Because of Jehovah's not being able to bring this people into the land about which he swore to them he proceeded to slaughter them in the wilderness.' 17 And now, please, let your power become great, O Jehovah, just as you have spoken, saying, 18 ‘Jehovah, slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness, pardoning error and transgression, but by no means will he give exemption from punishment, bringing punishment for the error of the fathers upon sons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation.' 19 Forgive, please, the error of this people according to the greatness of your loving-kindness, and just as you have pardoned this people from Egypt onward until now." 20 Then Jehovah said: "I do forgive according to your word. 21 And, on the other hand, as I live, all the earth will be filled with the glory of Jehovah.

An authority figure has the power to enforce laws and rules OR forgive and commute them, based on extenuating circumstances.

Isn't that the type of authority figure you want to have, if you were being judged for something. Someone balanced and reasonable and meeting out to the 'proper degree' justice, when we are asking for mercy?

(Jeremiah 30:11) 11 "For I am with you," is the utterance of Jehovah, "to save you; but I shall make an extermination among all the nations to which I have scattered you. However, in your case I shall make no extermination. And I shall have to correct you to the proper degree, as I shall by no means leave you unpunished."

After reading half your message, I had to go back to my OP to check what it was about because your message is totally irrelevant. You spent so long on it as well. Oh dear.

What I was hoping maybe just one person could see was the blatantly obvious references to volcanic activity. Fire, brimstone, rivers of fire, holy hill, fiery mountain, snares, fiery arrows, trumpet noise, clouds, god on top of holy hill, god's home on top of fiery mountain, etc.....feiry mountain where god was.

I am starting to think this forum is a place for very young men who are copying the bickering of their predecessors rather than taking a more intellectual approach to religion and looking at it with fresh eyes. There seems to be a lot of hot air around here and not a lot of substance.
Knologist_Prime
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 7:05:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You said exactly,

"What do these verses make you think of? Please use verses to justify your submission." - TheFoghorn (I forgot to put 'The' with FogHorn)

So where is the irrelevancy? I complied to your question.

My response IS what I think of your question. I disregarded your direction of control.

You didn't ask, 'What do these verses make you think of, as long as it agrees with my viewpoint?'

Or

'What do these verses make you think of, so then I can critique your response as your view is invalid?'

I think you are presenting a one sided view of figurative speech with the understanding of a simpleton mind. And not using the verses justifies my reason to prove your one sided argument. The verses also reminds me you want control of the situation. If your understanding comes down to being a simpleton, then I weep for the species.

And that's what I think about the verses. I choose not to follow your control of the discussion because of the verses. Very myopic view.

Is your mind closed and prejudiced against who God is?
Learn to tolerate then, as the politically correct people tells religious people to do.
Truth, is bias." - Knologist-Prime
"Words, means, things." - Knologist-Prime
"The Rules of Grammar in any Language, MUST be obeyed." - Knologist-Prime
"Artifacts are FACTS." - Knologist-Prime
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 7:47:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 7:05:20 PM, Knologist_Prime wrote:
You said exactly,

"What do these verses make you think of? Please use verses to justify your submission." - TheFoghorn (I forgot to put 'The' with FogHorn)

So where is the irrelevancy? I complied to your question.

My response IS what I think of your question. I disregarded your direction of control.

You didn't ask, 'What do these verses make you think of, as long as it agrees with my viewpoint?'

Or

'What do these verses make you think of, so then I can critique your response as your view is invalid?'

I think you are presenting a one sided view of figurative speech with the understanding of a simpleton mind. And not using the verses justifies my reason to prove your one sided argument. The verses also reminds me you want control of the situation. If your understanding comes down to being a simpleton, then I weep for the species.

And that's what I think about the verses. I choose not to follow your control of the discussion because of the verses. Very myopic view.

Is your mind closed and prejudiced against who God is?
Learn to tolerate then, as the politically correct people tells religious people to do.

'Simpleton'? You think it's acceptable to go around calling people simpletons? What an insulting little thing you are?

You did not adhere to my request to state what the verses I posted made you think of. You immediately assumed I was posting the list of verses as an attack on your god. Your immediately and without thinking did the usual theistic thing and jumped to the defence of your god, hence your very odd response. Instead of looking closely at the verses, you piled in head first with your counter attack, assuming I was on the attack.

That seems to be the way on here.....attack, counter attack, attack, counter attack. Not very ground breaking is it? Automatic, unthinking retribution when a bit of humility was in order.

Volcanic activity. That is what springs to my mind when going through the verses. Can't you see it? Say if not and I'll post some more.
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 8:29:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 8:26:05 PM, TheFogHorn wrote:
At 7/11/2012 8:18:44 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
"Isaiah 30:27 See, the Name of the LORD comes from afar, with burning anger and dense clouds of smoke; his lips are full of wrath, and his tongue is a consuming fire."

Blazing a spliff where the mouth piece is too hot.

"Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."

A supposed all powerful and wise creator of the cosmos having petty ape-like emotions.

"Deuteronomy 4:11 You came near and stood at the foot of the mountain while it blazed with fire to the very heavens, with black clouds and deep darkness."

The mountain can smoke weed.

"Deuteronomy 5:4 The LORD spoke to you face to face out of the fire on the mountain."

Hallucination.

"Deuteronomy 33:2 He said: "The LORD came from Sinai and dawned over them from Seir; he shone forth from Mount Paran. He came with myriads of holy ones from the south, from his mountain slopes."

The Lord has some pretty sweet holy ski hills.

Is this forum for under 16s? It seems a tad inane.

You could look at my age on my profile if you wanted to know, regardless, we all know you have this elaborate theory that the Hebrew God was really just volcanic activity...
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 8:37:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 8:29:42 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 7/11/2012 8:26:05 PM, TheFogHorn wrote:
At 7/11/2012 8:18:44 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
"Isaiah 30:27 See, the Name of the LORD comes from afar, with burning anger and dense clouds of smoke; his lips are full of wrath, and his tongue is a consuming fire."

Blazing a spliff where the mouth piece is too hot.

"Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."

A supposed all powerful and wise creator of the cosmos having petty ape-like emotions.

"Deuteronomy 4:11 You came near and stood at the foot of the mountain while it blazed with fire to the very heavens, with black clouds and deep darkness."

The mountain can smoke weed.

"Deuteronomy 5:4 The LORD spoke to you face to face out of the fire on the mountain."

Hallucination.

"Deuteronomy 33:2 He said: "The LORD came from Sinai and dawned over them from Seir; he shone forth from Mount Paran. He came with myriads of holy ones from the south, from his mountain slopes."

The Lord has some pretty sweet holy ski hills.

Is this forum for under 16s? It seems a tad inane.

You could look at my age on my profile if you wanted to know, regardless, we all know you have this elaborate theory that the Hebrew God was really just volcanic activity...

...which clearly rattles you.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 12:42:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 10:18:59 AM, Knologist_Prime wrote:
Just because an authority figure says something doesn't make it right. If that were the case, we would let tyrants rule over us.

Furthermore, comparing the god of Judaism to a democratic government or modern day civilized parents is disingenuous, at best. As a civilized world, we no longer condone such behavior; that's why we hung Saddam Hussein and are unhappy with the president of Syria. The ancient Jewish god was blood-thirsty which is made apparent by even a cursory review of the Jewish bible, and the fact some passages make reference to his mercy is laughable. That's like saying Hitler or Stalin was merciful.
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 8:29:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/13/2012 12:42:19 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 7/12/2012 10:18:59 AM, Knologist_Prime wrote:
Just because an authority figure says something doesn't make it right. If that were the case, we would let tyrants rule over us.

Furthermore, comparing the god of Judaism to a democratic government or modern day civilized parents is disingenuous, at best. As a civilized world, we no longer condone such behavior; that's why we hung Saddam Hussein and are unhappy with the president of Syria. The ancient Jewish god was blood-thirsty which is made apparent by even a cursory review of the Jewish bible, and the fact some passages make reference to his mercy is laughable. That's like saying Hitler or Stalin was merciful.

Another totally irrelevant comment responding to a previous irrelevant comment. Thread here seem to end up a jumbled mess. It's no wonder.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 8:40:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/13/2012 8:29:49 AM, TheFogHorn wrote:
At 7/13/2012 12:42:19 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 7/12/2012 10:18:59 AM, Knologist_Prime wrote:
Just because an authority figure says something doesn't make it right. If that were the case, we would let tyrants rule over us.

Furthermore, comparing the god of Judaism to a democratic government or modern day civilized parents is disingenuous, at best. As a civilized world, we no longer condone such behavior; that's why we hung Saddam Hussein and are unhappy with the president of Syria. The ancient Jewish god was blood-thirsty which is made apparent by even a cursory review of the Jewish bible, and the fact some passages make reference to his mercy is laughable. That's like saying Hitler or Stalin was merciful.

Another totally irrelevant comment responding to a previous irrelevant comment. Thread here seem to end up a jumbled mess. It's no wonder.

This thread started in a jumbled mess by another pretentious blowhard looking for gratification rather than information. Yet you wonder? Brilliant!
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 8:43:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The lady is indicating that many references to God in the Bible seem to coincide with volcano worship, such as which they purport ancients like Incas were inclined.

Taking it in a different direction, it seems to suggest that Hell is a metaphor for an emotional state entertained by God.

The majority of arguments posited in response seem to be pithy suggestions that the op took these verses out of context. She clearly foresaw that and invited anyone to contextualize them by supporting their arguments with scripture. So, if you believe that the verses are out of context, the least you can do is select a few at random or something and present a more thorough interpretation.
Knologist_Prime
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:31:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/13/2012 12:42:19 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 7/12/2012 10:18:59 AM, Knologist_Prime wrote:
Just because an authority figure says something doesn't make it right. If that were the case, we would let tyrants rule over us.

Furthermore, comparing the god of Judaism to a democratic government or modern day civilized parents is disingenuous, at best. As a civilized world, we no longer condone such behavior; that's why we hung Saddam Hussein and are unhappy with the president of Syria. The ancient Jewish god was blood-thirsty which is made apparent by even a cursory review of the Jewish bible, and the fact some passages make reference to his mercy is laughable. That's like saying Hitler or Stalin was merciful.

Hello and greetings to you s-anthony,

s-anthony said: "Just because an authority figure says something doesn't make it right. If that were the case, we would let tyrants rule over us."

Me says: I am in agreement with your statement. However...

My point is, which is a universal truth, those in Authority, do tell us what to do.

Whether tyrants or not, those in Authority will tell it's subjects; who to do it, what to do it, where to do it, when to do it, why to do it, and how to do it.

Example: Authority TELLS you to pay taxes. It told you, ordered you, force you to comply. Which form of Authority doesn't do that?
(Owners over renters. Union dues. Late Fees. Your actions of employment orders a paycheck from a business.)

So try not paying your taxes even in the most democratic of governments you can live in, the Authority will come down upon you like a hammer. Because, they are in charge, not you. You just got told what to do by the Authority.

Even after a rebellion of a previous Authority, the current Authority will always tell/demand/force, US what to do.

It's real simple.

s-anthony said: " ... they rule over us."

Me says: They do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
s-anthony said: "The ancient Jewish god was blood-thirsty which is made apparent by even a cursory review of the Jewish bible, and the fact some passages make reference to his mercy is laughable. That's like saying Hitler or Stalin was merciful."

Me says: Your view/comment from my perspective is one of 'honest ignorance'. A thorough, not "cursory", study of something you are not completely comprehending, as to the person of God as an Authority Figure, leaves much to be acquired.

When does a cursory understanding of anything means you are qualified to es-plain it, or have the where-with all to know what you are talking about?

Of course not. Not logical, reasonable, 'ed-u-mah-kay-shun-nu-muh-bul'(i don't care who you are, that's funny right dere! - Mater. Cars the movie).

No one should go to battle unprepared.

"I just looked at these pi-tures in this heere book on what animals look like on their insides oozin' out as road kills. Now I is qually-fied to be a Vegitarinese and operate on those critters!" (My hyperbole of course.)

"Has anyones seend my hy-per-bow-lee? I's fix'en tuh eats some cereal wit' some melks!" LOL

If you were living under the Authority of Stalin or Hitler, wouldn't you be grateful to them when they granted you to live by commuting your sentence of death for some little offense against them? (Maybe you accidentally sneezed on a portrait of the 'darling' leader. A little thing, but it was an accident.) But Stalin or Hitler, actually listened to your side of what happened and gasped you were innocent. You happened to be no threat to the State. You would be grateful and make sure you never let that accident ever happen again. By their Authority they still controlled you, but you would be grateful to them.

Yes you would. So in this hypothetical, they would be,(what was that word you used? Oh yeah.) "merciful."

"Shooots! That was sum purdy brainy stuff goings on 'round heeres!" lol
Truth, is bias." - Knologist-Prime
"Words, means, things." - Knologist-Prime
"The Rules of Grammar in any Language, MUST be obeyed." - Knologist-Prime
"Artifacts are FACTS." - Knologist-Prime
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:37:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/13/2012 8:43:17 AM, Ren wrote:
The lady is indicating that many references to God in the Bible seem to coincide with volcano worship, such as which they purport ancients like Incas were inclined.

Which is exactly what I responded to. Zero scholars suggests the bible should be intrepreted in such a fashion. The text should always be interpreted with the authors intent.
So what did the OP do? Created some inane theory around select verses taken out of context. As with the Moby Dick, I made it actually about whatever I wanted it about.


Taking it in a different direction, it seems to suggest that Hell is a metaphor for an emotional state entertained by God.

The majority of arguments posited in response seem to be pithy suggestions that the op took these verses out of context. She clearly foresaw that and invited anyone to contextualize them by supporting their arguments with scripture. So, if you believe that the verses are out of context, the least you can do is select a few at random or something and present a more thorough interpretation.
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 5:50:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/13/2012 8:43:17 AM, Ren wrote:
The lady is indicating that many references to God in the Bible seem to coincide with volcano worship, such as which they purport ancients like Incas were inclined.

Taking it in a different direction, it seems to suggest that Hell is a metaphor for an emotional state entertained by God.

The majority of arguments posited in response seem to be pithy suggestions that the op took these verses out of context. She clearly foresaw that and invited anyone to contextualize them by supporting their arguments with scripture. So, if you believe that the verses are out of context, the least you can do is select a few at random or something and present a more thorough interpretation.

That's beyond them.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 3:36:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/13/2012 10:31:50 AM, Knologist_Prime wrote:
My point is, which is a universal truth, those in Authority, do tell us what to do.

Whether tyrants or not, those in Authority will tell it's subjects; who to do it, what to do it, where to do it, when to do it, why to do it, and how to do it.

Example: Authority TELLS you to pay taxes. It told you, ordered you, force you to comply. Which form of Authority doesn't do that?
(Owners over renters. Union dues. Late Fees. Your actions of employment orders a paycheck from a business.)

So try not paying your taxes even in the most democratic of governments you can live in, the Authority will come down upon you like a hammer. Because, they are in charge, not you. You just got told what to do by the Authority.

Even after a rebellion of a previous Authority, the current Authority will always tell/demand/force, US what to do.

It's real simple.

s-anthony said: " ... they rule over us."

Me says: They do.

Rulers don't rule in a vacuum; in fact, they are created by the will of the people. This includes tyrants, dictators, kings, presidents, primes ministers..., etc.. An authority is in control only as long as the people tolerate one's leadership. Tyrants, dictators, and kings lose their lives, if they overstay their invitation. Presidents and prime ministers are voted out of office. There's an old Latin phrase, "Vox populi, vox Dei," which translated means, "the voice of the people is the voice of God;" and any ruler that forgets that doesn't last very long.

If you were living under the Authority of Stalin or Hitler, wouldn't you be grateful to them when they granted you to live by commuting your sentence of death for some little offense against them? (Maybe you accidentally sneezed on a portrait of the 'darling' leader. A little thing, but it was an accident.) But Stalin or Hitler, actually listened to your side of what happened and gasped you were innocent. You happened to be no threat to the State. You would be grateful and make sure you never let that accident ever happen again. By their Authority they still controlled you, but you would be grateful to them.

Yes you would. So in this hypothetical, they would be,(what was that word you used? Oh yeah.) "merciful."

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

This quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin is one I agree with wholeheartedly. This liberty and safety, that, he speaks of are not meant merely for yourself but, also, your friends and family. If I know, that, my inaction leads to the bondage and repression of my people and do nothing to remedy the situation, then, I am nothing more than a mere coward. It's equivalent to letting an intruder enter you home and doing nothing to protect the safety of your family.
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 7:55:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You'd have to be a complete loser to carry on a private and lengthy conversation right in the middle of someone's thread despite it being pointed out that it's entirely irrelevant. Total lack of manners.