Jump to topic:

Atheist's Wager

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 1:03:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I often here theists claim that atheists are not "prepared" for the afterlife. I do not think this is true. This is my general view of the afterlife.

You should live your life and try to make the world a better place for your being in it, whether or not you believe in god. If there is no god, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind. If there is a benevolent god, he will judge you on your merits and not just on whether or not you believed in him. If God judges you based on if you believe in him, he is not benevolent, so you would not want to worship him.

http://en.wikipedia.org...'s_Wager

This seems like a pretty solid outlook on life/afterlife to me. Also, there is this quote from Marcus Aurelius, a roman emperor philosopher, that sums up the view.

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 1:17:25 AM
At 7/13/2012 1:03:56 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
I often here theists claim that atheists are not "prepared" for the afterlife. I do not think this is true. This is my general view of the afterlife.

You should live your life and try to make the world a better place for your being in it, whether or not you believe in god. If there is no god, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind. If there is a benevolent god, he will judge you on your merits and not just on whether or not you believed in him. If God judges you based on if you believe in him, he is not benevolent, so you would not want to worship him.

If a God exists and worship of this God is necessary for admission into a desirable afterlife, I really don't care whether or not I want to do it or not. I'm worshiping him. Hard. This is doubly true if disbelief results in an undesirable afterlife.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 1:32:44 AM

Except for this, it more or less makes sense. Even if God was not benevolent, I would still rather worship him than be punished.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 5:33:09 AM
At 7/13/2012 1:32:44 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Except for this, it more or less makes sense. Even if God was not benevolent, I would still rather worship him than be punished.

Whether someone believes in God or not has no bearing on whether or not you area good person. If you are good person, and don't believe in God, and he still punishes you, that is morally absurd.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 5:34:49 AM
William Lane Craig has even conceded, that an Atheist could not believe in God and be just as moral as any Christian. I don't see how a moral person deserves punishment, simply because they don't believe in a deity on bad evidence.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 5:36:42 AM
The whole "you believe in what I tell you or God will punish you" seems mad made. If God exists and he is so amazing, why the hell would he care if we actually believe he exists? Why is that so important? If it is, then why not show me he exists? He's omnipotent...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 6:31:09 AM
At 7/13/2012 5:36:42 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
The whole "you believe in what I tell you or God will punish you" seems mad made. If God exists and he is so amazing, why the hell would he care if we actually believe he exists? Why is that so important? If it is, then why not show me he exists? He's omnipotent...

The Fool: That is similar to my view. It doesn't make sense that such a God would care if you belief in him or not. To desire is to NEED something. and so it follows that you lack something or you wouldn't need it. So either God is imcomplete, and needy. aka not self suffience or he doesn't care about that.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
ADT_Clone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 6:40:57 AM
I heard an interesting view on this from the latest Magic Sandwich Show #29.

It was said that on the question of what would happen if in fact God did exist, and when I died I was sent to be judged by a God on whether I should go to hell or not. Many religious people I have heard would say I would go to hell for not believing in God. But since God is omnipotent, this would not logically be true.

As God is omnipotent, he must have an all knowing empathy. This is a consequence of his omnipotent attribute. If he has an all knowing empathy, he would have to understand the reasons why I didn't believe him, and have empathy to see that there was nothing I did wrong.

Therefore, I would be sent to heaven. In fact, this argument of empathy can be extended to really show that God would have to accept everyone into heaven.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 6:43:05 AM
At 7/13/2012 1:17:25 AM, Maikuru wrote:

If a God exists and worship of this God is necessary for admission into a desirable afterlife, I really don't care whether or not I want to do it or not. I'm worshiping him. Hard. This is doubly true if disbelief results in an undesirable afterlife.

It depends on what you value. I personally value Justice more than personal comfort.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 6:46:44 AM
At 7/13/2012 6:43:05 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
It depends on what you value. I personally value Justice more than personal comfort.

Justice!!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 6:52:08 AM
At 7/13/2012 6:46:44 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Justice!!

Totally worth going to hell to show some uncaring god that you disapprove of him.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 7:20:42 AM

The Fool: I am affraid to here what you mean by justice.? Do you mean ignorance of differences justice. As in justice via lack of knowledge? That is irrationaly justice.

Or justice through knowledge aka recognition.

My intuition is that is the one you mean the later. But I am definitley not certain. You might suprise me.

Which you care to join in a discussion about what justice, means in the philosophy section? If you agree I will start a thread, I think this is a very important subject.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 7:23:14 AM

The Fool: This is a contradition also Because if you value justice then it would be a type personal comfort.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 7:27:56 AM
Christians would respond that everyone is inherently sinful and there is nothing we could possibly do through our acts to deserve an infinite reward in heaven. It is only through god's kindness that people are allowed into heaven and he will only be willing to extend that kindness to people who are in a filial (parent-child) relationship with him. Mere belief isn't enough to guarantee you a place in heaven or satan would would be in heaven.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:16:24 AM

If an all-powerful God exists, I wouldn't consider it an injustice to follow its will, nor would I have any reason to believe my view of justice was more accurate than its own.
- lamerde

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:25:13 AM
At 7/13/2012 6:52:08 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 7/13/2012 6:46:44 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Justice!!

Totally worth going to hell to show some uncaring god that you disapprove of him.

Tyranny is always worth combating.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:25:35 AM
At 7/13/2012 7:23:14 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: This is a contradition also Because if you value justice then it would be a type personal comfort.

Very true, lol.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:26:13 AM
At 7/13/2012 10:16:24 AM, Maikuru wrote:

If an all-powerful God exists, I wouldn't consider it an injustice to follow its will, nor would I have any reason to believe my view of justice was more accurate than its own.

Yes, you would. It's view of justice would be subjective and meaningless. Justice is supposed to be an objective standard that binds us. What moral claim would that being have on determining what we are due?
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:32:43 AM
At 7/13/2012 10:25:13 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

She's omnipotent. It would be a meaningless gesture.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:38:13 AM
At 7/13/2012 10:32:43 AM, Kinesis wrote:

False. Where do you get your information ? Only from books.
No wonder you Atheists take pride in nothing.
You dont deal with reality. It evades you.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:39:38 AM
At 7/13/2012 10:38:13 AM, inferno wrote:

No atheists are more "I haven't seen it so it doesn't exist."
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:40:34 AM
At 7/13/2012 10:39:38 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/13/2012 10:38:13 AM, inferno wrote:

So you better get to work then. Start moving or shut the f up.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:42:34 AM
At 7/13/2012 10:26:13 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Yes, you would. It's view of justice would be subjective and meaningless. Justice is supposed to be an objective standard that binds us. What moral claim would that being have on determining what we are due?

I'd have no grounds to doubt God's actions or views at all, let alone deem them to be subjective or meaningless. Any disagreement would necessarily be a deviation on my part, likely due to limited or misinformation, from that objective standard you mentioned. He exemplifies the rubric by which you'd have me judge him.
- lamerde

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:44:17 AM
At 7/13/2012 10:42:34 AM, Maikuru wrote:

I'd have no grounds to doubt God's actions or views at all, let alone deem them to be subjective or meaningless. Any disagreement would necessarily be a deviation on my part, likely due to limited or misinformation, from that objective standard you mentioned. He exemplifies the rubric by which you'd have me judge him.

If you want to know the truth, then staep out from conventionality, or else your logic means nothing.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:44:25 AM
At 7/13/2012 10:42:34 AM, Maikuru wrote:

If you want to know the truth, then step out from conventionality, or else your logic means nothing.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:44:41 AM

Yeah, atheists as a group totally deny the existence of soundwaves, countries they've never been to, atoms, all of human history and pluto. Ironically, although this is a complete strawman used against atheists, it's actually a common argument used by creationists against macro-evolution.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:46:39 AM
At 7/13/2012 10:44:41 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Yeah, atheists as a group totally deny the existence of soundwaves, countries they've never been to, atoms, all of human history and pluto. Ironically, although this is a complete strawman used against atheists, it's actually a common argument used by creationists against macro-evolution.

No. Atheists are coward who deal with the information and complacency. Rather than interact with the occults or religious scholars, they just want to talk and do nothing. No wonder you are the minority. This will not change.
Real people do real things. Its time for you to start getting real.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:47:16 AM

Well correct me if I'm wrong but can this is the crux of the atheist argument at large. If you ask an average Atheist off the street why they're an atheist this is probably what you'll get.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 10:48:08 AM
At 7/13/2012 10:47:16 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Well correct me if I'm wrong but can this is the crux of the atheist argument at large. If you ask an average Atheist off the street why they're an atheist this is probably what you'll get.

I havent seen it translation= Im too much of a weak coward to want to see it.