Jump to topic:

Jews on DDO

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 8:58:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm curious, do most Jews share the same views as this Rabbi? Or, does he have some obscure view not in line with mainstream Judaism? If any Jews on here could answer this question I'd appreciate it, I'm very curious.

Sam Harris: "You made this sort of artful move to the free will loophole, you said people have free will. If a man wants to lock his daughter in a dungeon and have sex with her, God has allowed that because he has given us this rather diabolical freedom. That doesn't cover all of the other suffering for which only God could be responsible if he exists. The 9 million children I just talked about dying every year, through cancers… accidents, and lack of access to clean water, this is God's fault if God exists. Either he can do nothing about this or he doesn't care to, so either he is impotent or evil. This is the problem that free will doesn't get you out of."

Rabbi Bradley Artson: "This is a talk I give to rabbinical students and congregations all over the country. It is a mid-evil mistake based on Aristotelian thought that God has to be a simple unmoved mover, and thereby eternal, omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent. Those are terms that don't exist in Biblical, or Rabbinic Hebrew. So I apologize for the way the philosophers kidnapped the traditions, but it's not in the Torah, there is no Hebrew word for omnipotent, meaning ‘all powerful', and the concept is a nonsense concept."

Sam Harris: "So you are saying God doesn't have the power to change these things?"

Rabbi Bradley Artson: "Yes, of course that's what I'm saying. I'm saying that what God has is a different kind of power than the power of the dictator that Christopher Hitchens and I both despise. What I look at God to be is a persuasive power, more comparable to a teacher, or a lover, or a parent who teaches and inspires you to be the best by seeing your potential, and by giving you the vision and the power to rise to it. But I don't believe in a God who breaks the rules, or who intervenes, or can do magic."
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:21:17 AM
Better view of God. A liberal one ;)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:51:11 AM
At 7/14/2012 8:58:24 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I'm curious, do most Jews share the same views as this Rabbi? Or, does he have some obscure view not in line with mainstream Judaism? If any Jews on here could answer this question I'd appreciate it, I'm very curious.

Sam Harris: "You made this sort of artful move to the free will loophole, you said people have free will. If a man wants to lock his daughter in a dungeon and have sex with her, God has allowed that because he has given us this rather diabolical freedom. That doesn't cover all of the other suffering for which only God could be responsible if he exists. The 9 million children I just talked about dying every year, through cancers… accidents, and lack of access to clean water, this is God's fault if God exists. Either he can do nothing about this or he doesn't care to, so either he is impotent or evil. This is the problem that free will doesn't get you out of."

Rabbi Bradley Artson: "This is a talk I give to rabbinical students and congregations all over the country. It is a mid-evil mistake based on Aristotelian thought that God has to be a simple unmoved mover, and thereby eternal, omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent. Those are terms that don't exist in Biblical, or Rabbinic Hebrew. So I apologize for the way the philosophers kidnapped the traditions, but it's not in the Torah, there is no Hebrew word for omnipotent, meaning ‘all powerful', and the concept is a nonsense concept."

Sam Harris: "So you are saying God doesn't have the power to change these things?"

Rabbi Bradley Artson: "Yes, of course that's what I'm saying. I'm saying that what God has is a different kind of power than the power of the dictator that Christopher Hitchens and I both despise. What I look at God to be is a persuasive power, more comparable to a teacher, or a lover, or a parent who teaches and inspires you to be the best by seeing your potential, and by giving you the vision and the power to rise to it. But I don't believe in a God who breaks the rules, or who intervenes, or can do magic."

The god of the OT can definitely do magic.. and definitely has a history of intervening.

and.. He's a Prick on top of it.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."