Total Posts:107|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Talking Snakes and Donkey's

Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 8:37:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Does any atheist still consider these stories as 'scientifically' absurd?

Science has proven that indeed such things are highly likely. Any athiest holdouts on DDO that would mock such stories?
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 8:50:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have never in my life heard that donkeys and snakes can talk...Or that it is even remotely possible...
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:05:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 8:37:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:
Does any atheist still consider these stories as 'scientifically' absurd?

Science has proven that indeed such things are highly likely. Any athiest holdouts on DDO that would mock such stories?

While I'm not an atheist, could you elaborate on that part? I've never heard that before. If you would rather wait for an atheist to challenge you before putting all of your cards out on the table, that's fine too. Just curious.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:27:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At creation, they communicated like humans, but over time developed a means of communication that was more efficient for them. I guess you could say that it...evolved.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:40:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:27:20 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At creation, they communicated like humans, but over time developed a means of communication that was more efficient for them. I guess you could say that it...evolved.

Oh, come on now. Why would they regress from having more highly developed brains to lower neural development? Why would that be selected for? What possible advantage could they have had by not being intelligent? Why haven't humans evolved in that direction?
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:41:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:27:20 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At creation, they communicated like humans, but over time developed a means of communication that was more efficient for them. I guess you could say that it...evolved.

...You're joking, right?
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:41:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Say what?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:41:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:39:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Excuse me? Animals are not cognitively capable of speech.

I'm not an Atheist, and I believe this.

If I may ask, what do you believe in then? I always though you were an atheist.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:42:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:41:47 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 7/14/2012 9:39:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Excuse me? Animals are not cognitively capable of speech.

I'm not an Atheist, and I believe this.

If I may ask, what do you believe in then? I always though you were an atheist.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:43:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:41:47 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 7/14/2012 9:39:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Excuse me? Animals are not cognitively capable of speech.

I'm not an Atheist, and I believe this.

If I may ask, what do you believe in then? I always though you were an atheist.

I've been fluctuating between Atheism and Sikhism.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:44:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
@ Maikuru and @Evan K,

I am referencing what new atheists call the magic within the Bible.

The stories of the talking snakes, talking donkey's, Angels appearing out of thin air and disappearing, Heck even Jesus appearing in a locked room.

This is all scientifically supported and has been discussed within Physics for over 100 years.

I was asking if there were still atheists here on DDO that believed the new atheist talking points of 'magic' in the Bible and how these things are not scientifically possible.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:46:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:05:51 PM, Rusty wrote:
At 7/14/2012 8:37:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:
Does any atheist still consider these stories as 'scientifically' absurd?

Science has proven that indeed such things are highly likely. Any athiest holdouts on DDO that would mock such stories?

While I'm not an atheist, could you elaborate on that part? I've never heard that before. If you would rather wait for an atheist to challenge you before putting all of your cards out on the table, that's fine too. Just curious.

Sure, I will post a general post on the thread with some reading material. For in depth study, some of the material may need to be sourced, downloaded, bought or secured via email.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:47:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:44:39 PM, Gileandos wrote:
@ Maikuru and @Evan K,

I am referencing what new atheists call the magic within the Bible.

The stories of the talking snakes, talking donkey's, Angels appearing out of thin air and disappearing, Heck even Jesus appearing in a locked room.

This is all scientifically supported and has been discussed within Physics for over 100 years.

I was asking if there were still atheists here on DDO that believed the new atheist talking points of 'magic' in the Bible and how these things are not scientifically possible.

Talking snakes is scientifically supported, and has been for the last 100 years and more?
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:56:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:40:52 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 7/14/2012 9:27:20 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At creation, they communicated like humans, but over time developed a means of communication that was more efficient for them. I guess you could say that it...evolved.

Oh, come on now. Why would they regress from having more highly developed brains to lower neural development? Why would that be selected for? What possible advantage could they have had by not being intelligent? Why haven't humans evolved in that direction?

Who knows why some organisms evolve one way while others go another??
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:59:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:41:07 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 7/14/2012 9:27:20 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At creation, they communicated like humans, but over time developed a means of communication that was more efficient for them. I guess you could say that it...evolved.

...You're joking, right?

Of course. I couldn't help myself, it was too tempting.
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:04:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oh my goodness... I actually thought the stories were symbolic or something... but now, such a well constructed argument on DDO, I've changed my mind... I've got to go change my stances on the Big Issues ....
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:05:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:59:50 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 7/14/2012 9:41:07 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 7/14/2012 9:27:20 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At creation, they communicated like humans, but over time developed a means of communication that was more efficient for them. I guess you could say that it...evolved.

...You're joking, right?

Of course. I couldn't help myself, it was too tempting.

Lol, ok...Internet humor is hard to pick up, especially when someone is arguing that what you jokingly said is the truth XD
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:06:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 9:44:39 PM, Gileandos wrote:
@ Maikuru and @Evan K,

I am referencing what new atheists call the magic within the Bible.

The stories of the talking snakes, talking donkey's, Angels appearing out of thin air and disappearing, Heck even Jesus appearing in a locked room.

This is all scientifically supported and has been discussed within Physics for over 100 years.

I was asking if there were still atheists here on DDO that believed the new atheist talking points of 'magic' in the Bible and how these things are not scientifically possible.

I have never once heard of a scientist saying that donkeys and snakes can talk...
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:11:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 10:06:34 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 7/14/2012 9:44:39 PM, Gileandos wrote:
@ Maikuru and @Evan K,

I am referencing what new atheists call the magic within the Bible.

The stories of the talking snakes, talking donkey's, Angels appearing out of thin air and disappearing, Heck even Jesus appearing in a locked room.

This is all scientifically supported and has been discussed within Physics for over 100 years.

I was asking if there were still atheists here on DDO that believed the new atheist talking points of 'magic' in the Bible and how these things are not scientifically possible.

I have never once heard of a scientist saying that donkeys and snakes can talk...

Shrek and The Jungle Book.

Your argument is negated.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:12:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 10:11:51 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/14/2012 10:06:34 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 7/14/2012 9:44:39 PM, Gileandos wrote:
@ Maikuru and @Evan K,

I am referencing what new atheists call the magic within the Bible.

The stories of the talking snakes, talking donkey's, Angels appearing out of thin air and disappearing, Heck even Jesus appearing in a locked room.

This is all scientifically supported and has been discussed within Physics for over 100 years.

I was asking if there were still atheists here on DDO that believed the new atheist talking points of 'magic' in the Bible and how these things are not scientifically possible.

I have never once heard of a scientist saying that donkeys and snakes can talk...

Shrek and The Jungle Book.

Your argument is negated.

...Can't refute that logic XD
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:12:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 10:04:47 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Oh my goodness... I actually thought the stories were symbolic or something... but now, such a well constructed argument on DDO, I've changed my mind... I've got to go change my stances on the Big Issues ....

lol. Thank you for showing you might have a cognitive issue. The OP was not a 'constructed' argument.

It was sourcing if there were people who still were unaware of the science. I will post the information shortly.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:23:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 8:37:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:
Does any atheist still consider these stories as 'scientifically' absurd?

Science has proven that indeed such things are highly likely. Any athiest holdouts on DDO that would mock such stories?

The Fool: Science doesn't give proofs.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:25:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 10:12:51 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 7/14/2012 10:04:47 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Oh my goodness... I actually thought the stories were symbolic or something... but now, such a well constructed argument on DDO, I've changed my mind... I've got to go change my stances on the Big Issues ....

lol. Thank you for showing you might have a cognitive issue. The OP was not a 'constructed' argument.

It was sourcing if there were people who still were unaware of the science. I will post the information shortly.

The Fool: And make sure to give method by which it was inducted. Just saying science is useless.. its like saying just philosophy, many people jack the names but they are not doing the same things.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:31:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/14/2012 10:11:44 PM, medic0506 wrote:
If God and Satan exist, would these things be beyond their capabilities??

Depends on how you view God. If you define omnipotence as the ability to do anything even in regards to logic, then yes. But few intellectuals and theologians view God that way. If you define omnipotence as the ability to do anything that corresponds with logic, then it is debatable.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:38:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I find it disgustingly hypocritical how the science-denying Christian extremists live their lives enjoying the inventions that science gave them.

Why did you buy a manufactured computer instead of praying for one to fall out of the sky?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault