Jump to topic:

God exist ins & outside of creation

Bible8910
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 6:03:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Let us say instead that God's creation exist inside of God. Let me use this illustration. Take a glass jar and fill it with water then take a glass and put it in the water. The water lets say is God, and the glass is creation. I think that this will show that it is possible for God to exist inside & outside of what He creates.

This might not be best illustration but what do you think.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 6:25:34 PM
At 8/29/2009 6:03:12 PM, Bible8910 wrote:
Let us say instead that God's creation exist inside of God. Let me use this illustration. Take a glass jar and fill it with water then take a glass and put it in the water. The water lets say is God, and the glass is creation. I think that this will show that it is possible for God to exist inside & outside of what He creates.

Technically the glass would still not be permeated by water - it is just surrounded by water, aka God. The space inside the glass is still separate, not to mention the glass itself.

Besides, if God exists both outside and inside of His creation, then there is no point to the creation. If we're all just appendages of God, or are "apart" of God in some sort of way, then our existence makes no sense.

Using the analogy you provided, it would be akin to filling up the larger jar with water, then filling up the cup with water, and putting it in the jar. What is the purpose of this? They're the same substance, just in different space - it is much more effective to just pour the water inside the glass into the jar itself, rather than putting in the entire cup.

God has to be separate from His creation, though that creates issues with His omnipresent status, doesn't it.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 7:05:13 PM

So.......... The universe is the glass, and God is the water......... huh.

No, I don't get it. God isn't inside the glass.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 9:58:45 PM

But there are two different glasses. The one inside the water, and the one holding the water. How are they the same glass?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 10:00:23 PM
On the plus side, following this new religion will lead to loads of Schadenfreude fun as every prayer is a 1guy1jar vid.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 10:25:58 PM

I think that illustration made as much logical sense as any thing else you have said here, which is zero.

But clearly God could exist both inside and outside creation, although I have to say that outside makes more sense. The only other alternative is that creation is a part of God so that creation and god permeates each other. This is theoretically possible, but hypothesizes a God of the "God is the universe" kind, and I've then always wondered why you call it God, and not just "The universe".
So prove me wrong, then.
Bible8910
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 3:15:39 PM
At 8/29/2009 10:25:58 PM, regebro wrote:

I think that illustration made as much logical sense as any thing else you have said here, which is zero.

But clearly God could exist both inside and outside creation, although I have to say that outside makes more sense. The only other alternative is that creation is a part of God so that creation and god permeates each other. This is theoretically possible, but hypothesizes a God of the "God is the universe" kind, and I've then always wondered why you call it God, and not just "The universe".

I think that illustration made as much logical sense as any thing else you have said here, which is zero. Thanks for your reply but this was uncalled for.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 7:33:45 PM

Take a wok and fire up the stove. Add a ring of oil and scramble an egg.
Place scrambled egg in a bowl and chop up pieces of roast pork. Throw roast pork into the wok and stir fry for 2 minutes, then set aside. Throw a bowl of leftover rice into the wok with 3 rings of oil, then break apart while stir frying.

Let's say that the egg is Jesus, the roast pork is the Holy Spirit, and the Rice is God the Father. God would then be a bowl of fried rice. Thus, we can conclude that among the attributes of omnipotence, omniscience, and omnibenevolence, God is also high in calories.

Do you see how useless analogies are? When you're trying to prove a point, you can't really use an analogy as proof. Analogies are a breeding ground for equivocation fallacies. In your case, did the water create the glass? If not, then your analogy fails.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 7:41:40 PM
NoNoNo Kleptin; the jar made the glass possible by creating the water. I think what he is advocating is we worship a new even better god. Yup. That's it.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 7:38:49 AM
I prefer Lewis's 'Author and book illustration': He wrote the book, can turn to any chapter/page at any time and even write Himself into the book BUT at no time IS He the book.
The Cross.. the Cross.