Jump to topic:

Wrapping my head around Mormonism

THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 3:22:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So I have done research on Mormonism an I honestly don't understand it at all. I want to get my hands on the book of Mormon to simply study it, they claim to be Christian yet they have a different gospel and they believe in a heaven with three levels (the last being their perception of hell). Now I'm Baptist, and I can't seem to grasp how a whole religion can be founded upon the findings of a few golden plates in the woods by Joseph Smith.

I want the opinions and findings of Christians and non-Christians as well as Mormons ( I have yet to find one here on DDO )
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 4:04:37 PM
Here's a digital version http://www.lds.org...

I've read part of it. Mormonism makes me lol. I am very tolerant of religion, but I just don't see the slightest reason to believe in the latter day saints. Joseph Smith was quacko. He believed people live on the moon who live for centuries, and dressed like quackers.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 4:10:16 PM
This guy appears to be a latter-day saint (http://www.debate.org...)

I don't really understand Mormonism myself.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 5:20:52 PM
At 7/15/2012 3:22:20 PM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
So I have done research on Mormonism an I honestly don't understand it at all. I want to get my hands on the book of Mormon to simply study it, they claim to be Christian yet they have a different gospel and they believe in a heaven with three levels (the last being their perception of hell). Now I'm Baptist, and I can't seem to grasp how a whole religion can be founded upon the findings of a few golden plates in the woods by Joseph Smith.

I want the opinions and findings of Christians and non-Christians as well as Mormons ( I have yet to find one here on DDO )

I'm fairly familiar with LDS doctrine, and LDS non-doctrine. People confuse the two, the LDS church doesn't actually teach many things as official doctrine. What they do is teach basic doctrines, and encourage members to develop a personal relationship with God to learn 'deeper' truths themselves.

A lot of non-Mormons will quote Mormon Doctrine as official doctrine, when it isn't, it was just the personal opinion of Bruce R. McConkie(sp?).

It's such a wide subject though, I'm sure if you have any specific questions Tyler or myself would be happy to discuss with you.

Basically, it's founded on the belief that Christ's biblical church, founded on the priesthood authority of prophets and apostles, was lost after the apostle's died. The Catholic Church claims succession, but doesn't claim the same organization and authority. LDS believe that the priesthood authority was restored, along with the same organization of the original church.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 5:27:35 PM
At 7/15/2012 4:04:37 PM, phantom wrote:
Here's a digital version http://www.lds.org...

I've read part of it. Mormonism makes me lol. I am very tolerant of religion, but I just don't see the slightest reason to believe in the latter day saints. Joseph Smith was quacko. He believed people live on the moon who live for centuries, and dressed like quackers.

You should be careful about getting information on Mormonism from anti-Mormon/ex-Mormon websites.

Oliver Huntington claimed, some 40-50 years after the fact, that Joseph Smith's father gave him a blessing as a child telling him about the inhabitants on the moon. In fact, records show that Oliver's own father was the one who gave the blessing.

Joseph Smith actually made some very bold claims in regards to the ancient people of the Americas. Even though Mormons have been ridiculed for them, a large amount of them have been shown to have been at least plausible. From the practice of burying important metal plates in stone boxes, to the inclusion of wonderful examples of Chiasmus and other Hebraic-literary devices in the Book of Mormon.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
KeytarHero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 5:32:38 PM

It depends on your definition of Christian. If your definition is just a broad definition, "anyone who follows the teaching of Christ," then Mormons could be considered Christians. But the problem is that they don't believe many things Jesus said about Himself (most notably that He is God), so they don't believe everything that Orthodox Christians believe.

Now, I think we should give them a fair shake. I don't think we should reject them purely on the grounds that they believe the Book of Mormon was given to them via golden plates. However, they claim that the Christian church was lost after the time of Christ, and they didn't have the Scriptures, then Joseph Smith unearthed the golden plates, translated them, then the angel Moroni took the plates with him into Heaven. There is no evidence this ever happened, and there is no evidence the golden plates ever existed.

Contrast this with the Bible, which has tens of thousands of pieces of manuscript evidence to show that the original documents existed and have been reliably transmitted down through the centuries. Plus, the Christian church has always existed. There was no "Great Apostasy" as Mormons allege. There is just no evidence for what Mormons claim about themselves. Conversely, there is overwhelming evidence for the reliability of the Scriptures (that is, the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments), and actual historical evidence that the Christian church has always existed, and have the same basic beliefs ever since the Christian church was established, about 50 days after Christ rose from the dead (though it wasn't actually called Christianity at that time -- the book of Acts tells us they were called "the Way").
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 7:47:08 PM

I'm not Mormon but I've read thier book and I'm pretty familiar with Mormon doctrine and practices, if you have any specific questions I can probably anwer them for you. One of my best friends married a Mormon woman and joined the community years and years ago, anything I can't answer, I'm he will be able to.

Granted, it's different, there are some rather unusual beliefs but I believe we are taught to judge a tree by it's fruit, and all of the Mormons I've known have been very good people, better than most. What they have seems unusual from the outside looking in, but it sure seems work for them.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
TanusBarbarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:44:59 AM
Having spent an inordinate amount of wasted time studying Mormonism, I would have to say that it is not that hard to understand. It definitely isn't 'rocket surgery'.
I see Mormonism in exactly the same way I see Islam - One man, vying for power and influence, builds upon an existing faith, creating a new faith that puts him in the enviable position of 'most recent prophet of god'.
Both Joseph Smith and Muhammad were charlatans of the first degree. The difference being there was nothing to prevent Muhammad from killing those who disagreed with him.
Maintaining the illusion of consciousness since 1969...
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 11:34:00 AM
The concept of Mormonism isn't the issue I have, the issue i have is it's whole founding and founder is the issue.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...