Jump to topic:

Argument From Martyrs

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:16:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
How does this argument justify Christianity? Muslim suicide bombers martyr themselves on a daily basis for something they know to be true. Does that mean that you believe that the Koran is true?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:19:42 PM
No. They misinterpret their own religion.
Be that as it may, it is all wrong.
Anything that perpetuates violence is a sin.
Their ideology is a bit extreme and stoic overall.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:19:55 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:16:25 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
How does this argument justify Christianity? Muslim suicide bombers martyr themselves on a daily basis for something they know to be true. Does that mean that you believe that the Koran is true?

No, but it symbolizes a real power.

There is a true force, influencing those people.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:20:24 PM
No, Christian suicide bombers - although I've actually never heard of such - would not "justify" Christianity. However ... HOWEVER ... since "suicide bombers" do sorta, by the perverted reasoning of a few, DO justify a certain position, I vote we nominate a few atheistic suicide bombers to take one for the team. Who do you suggest? I have about three in mind.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:22:36 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:20:24 PM, annanicole wrote:
No, Christian suicide bombers - although I've actually never heard of such - would not "justify" Christianity. However ... HOWEVER ... since "suicide bombers" do sorta, by the perverted reasoning of a few, DO justify a certain position, I vote we nominate a few atheistic suicide bombers to take one for the team. Who do you suggest? I have about three in mind.

Ah... the warm glow of Christian love.

Wait, that's not love!
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:23:12 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:19:55 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

Yes, a demonic one.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:24:47 PM

LOL, I highly doubt Atheists feel a need to impose their views on others.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:27:18 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:24:47 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Atheists do not matter to most of the real world.
And we could care less about what they think or how they feel.
Miss Royale.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:33:59 PM

Militant atheists do, the so called Neo-Atheists who make it their goal to crush religion out of people.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:34:49 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:33:59 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Militant atheists do, the so called Neo-Atheists who make it their goal to crush religion out of people.

There's a difference between spreading ideas and imposing views on others through force.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:35:16 PM

It is the belief set that is typically the argument.
Christians die for the fellowship of evil people. For the people they hate. To bring them into right relationship with God.

Blowing up someone you hate is not a significant stretch. How many movies with suicidal vigilanties can you count? It is appealing to a clear group.

Huge technical distinction. Dieing to convince your enemy and not 'taking him with you' is a huge difference.

You really really really have to believe in something to set aside a natural inclination for revenge.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:36:13 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:23:12 PM, inferno wrote:
At 7/16/2012 3:19:55 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

Yes, a demonic one.

Absolutely. What ever demonic entitties influenced Islam, got to the heart of quite a few nations.

But, to these people, the demons come as something appealing to their culture.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:36:25 PM

This
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:36:27 PM

Uh-huh, and where are the neo-atheists bombing churches because of ideological disagreements? Poisoning baptismal water? Declaring eternal physical punishment for all who don't believe them?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:39:07 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:35:16 PM, Gileandos wrote:

It is the belief set that is typically the argument.
Christians die for the fellowship of evil people. For the people they hate. To bring them into right relationship with God.

Blowing up someone you hate is not a significant stretch. How many movies with suicidal vigilanties can you count? It is appealing to a clear group.

Huge technical distinction. Dieing to convince your enemy and not 'taking him with you' is a huge difference.

You really really really have to believe in something to set aside a natural inclination for revenge.

That's not the argument that you guys make. The argument you make is that they died for something and they wouldn't have died for it if it were a lie. It has nothing to do with dying in order to save the enemy (I'd like proof of this, please).
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:41:14 PM
Anyways, now I'll present another situation.

Guru Tegh Bahadur, the 9th Guru of Sikhism, was tortured to death, but refused to convert to Islam (he willingly went to the emperor and allowed himself to be tortured), in order to preserve the religious freedom of Hindus (different religion). Other Sikhs saw the Gurus performed miracles and died for them as well. Does all of this mean that Sikhism is automatically true and that you must believe it (since they died to help others and because they died for something they knew to be true?)
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:42:26 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:41:14 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Guru Tegh Bahadur, the 9th Guru of Sikhism, was tortured to death, but refused to convert to Islam (he willingly went to the emperor and allowed himself to be tortured), in order to preserve the religious freedom of Hindus (different religion). Other Sikhs saw the Gurus performed miracles and died for them as well. Does all of this mean that Sikhism is automatically true and that you must believe it (since they died to help others and because they died for something they knew to be true?)

No of course not. All this demonstrates is that Bahadur believes completely in Hinduism which only raises questions as to why he believed so heavily.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:55:14 PM

Nooooo, Communist atheists never did that. Atheists would never simply close church buildings.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:57:37 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:42:26 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

No of course not. All this demonstrates is that Bahadur believes completely in Hinduism which only raises questions as to why he believed so heavily.

LOL, he actually didn't believe in Hinduism. He was Sikh (they're completely different religions). He died defending freedom of religion so that people of another religion wouldn't have to convert.

I guess that takes out the martyr analysis then (unless it applies to Christianity "just because")
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:58:00 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:36:27 PM, Wnope wrote:

Uh-huh, and where are the neo-atheists bombing churches because of ideological disagreements? Poisoning baptismal water? Declaring eternal physical punishment for all who don't believe them?

Haha. Name ONE Christian group that ever did that. I can't. I don't mean Catholics nor Protestants ... I simply mean Christians, nothing more and nothing less. Chrisitians and Christians only. Not hyphenated mongrels. Just Christians. Try it.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 3:58:55 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:58:00 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 7/16/2012 3:36:27 PM, Wnope wrote:

Haha. Name ONE Christian group that ever did that. I can't. I don't mean Catholics nor Protestants ... I simply mean Christians, nothing more and nothing less. Chrisitians and Christians only. Not hyphenated mongrels. Just Christians. Try it.

No true Scotsman fallacy.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 4:00:21 PM
At 7/16/2012 3:57:37 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

LOL, he actually didn't believe in Hinduism. He was Sikh (they're completely different religions). He died defending freedom of religion so that people of another religion wouldn't have to convert.

I guess that takes out the martyr analysis then (unless it applies to Christianity "just because")

If he died for religious freedom and not the religion itself then he is not a martyr for religion but freedom of expression. Two different things completely.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 4:06:20 PM
At 7/16/2012 4:00:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/16/2012 3:57:37 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

If he died for religious freedom and not the religion itself then he is not a martyr for religion but freedom of expression. Two different things completely.

Sure, but what about all of the other Sikhs who died for their religion?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 4:07:17 PM
Note that the other Sikhs saw the miracles, believed because of them, and then died believing. It's 100% analogous to the situation that you are claiming for the Christian martyrs.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 4:09:22 PM
At 7/16/2012 4:08:19 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
There's also Guru Arjan, the fifth Guru, who died for Sikhism.

How about " Latika". Ha, ha, ha, ha.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 4:15:21 PM
At 7/16/2012 4:07:17 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Note that the other Sikhs saw the miracles, believed because of them, and then died believing. It's 100% analogous to the situation that you are claiming for the Christian martyrs.

I never claimed anything about Christian martyrs. Martyrs die for a cause they believe wholeheartedly in. This individual belief for individual martyrs alone cannot justify an entire religious belief. However, martyrs do add legitimacy to other evidence and reasoning. Alone, the martyr argument is weak but coupled with other arguments it can be a handy booster.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 4:16:32 PM
At 7/16/2012 4:15:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I never claimed anything about Christian martyrs. Martyrs die for a cause they believe wholeheartedly in. This individual belief for individual martyrs alone cannot justify an entire religious belief. However, martyrs do add legitimacy to other evidence and reasoning. Alone, the martyr argument is weak but coupled with other arguments it can be a handy booster.

I honestly don't think it adds anything. I think it's just used because people think that nobody will ever find examples from another religion, which is usually true because most people only know about three religions.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 4:22:29 PM
At 7/16/2012 4:16:32 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 7/16/2012 4:15:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I honestly don't think it adds anything. I think it's just used because people think that nobody will ever find examples from another religion, which is usually true because most people only know about three religions.

I think it adds legitimacy to a Primary Source mainly. I can read the Bible and die for it sure but I think it adds more oomphf if I was the one who saw Jesus raised and then died for that belief.