Jump to topic:

Three Strikes, You're Out!--The Quick and Dir

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 3:10:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Mormon religion was built on a 19th century American-Christian foundation. Thus, Mormons share many Christian convictions, such as a belief in the divinity of Jesus, and a reverence for the Christian Bible as a sacred text. To be sure, Mormon doctrine has enough theological peculiarities to put it outside of the pale of what many would consider "orthodox" or "mainstream" Christianity, but perhaps not more so than dozens of other Christian sects. In any case, due to its Christian basis, the same general arguments can be made against Mormonism as can be offered in opposition to Christianity. However, Mormonism has one particularly unique feature, which sets it apart, and opens it to the charge of demonstrable falsehood: The Book of Mormon (BoM).

http://www.infidels.org...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 3:32:06 PM
Why "Three strikes, you're out!"? Sorry if I'm being dense.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 3:49:00 PM
At 7/18/2012 3:10:13 PM, Microsuck wrote:
The Mormon religion was built on a 19th century American-Christian foundation. Thus, Mormons share many Christian convictions, such as a belief in the divinity of Jesus, and a reverence for the Christian Bible as a sacred text. To be sure, Mormon doctrine has enough theological peculiarities to put it outside of the pale of what many would consider "orthodox" or "mainstream" Christianity, but perhaps not more so than dozens of other Christian sects. In any case, due to its Christian basis, the same general arguments can be made against Mormonism as can be offered in opposition to Christianity. However, Mormonism has one particularly unique feature, which sets it apart, and opens it to the charge of demonstrable falsehood: The Book of Mormon (BoM).

http://www.infidels.org...

Good read. Thanks!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 4:04:26 PM
Ancient American wheels; well we have found ancient American toys with wheels… interesting you must say… although that doesn't prove that they had chariots, the authors best form of defense that the BOM is wrong is that Mesoamericans didn't have wheels.. This shows they knew about the wheel before we did.
http://www.precolumbianwheels.com...

The auther says the BOM can't be right because barley was not in the Americas till the Spanish came over. Biologist Howard Stutz has recently disclosed that "three types of wild barley have long been known to be native to the Americas." (non LDS) An article in Science 83, however, revealed that pre-Columbian domesticated barley had been discovered by archaeologists at an ancient Hohokam Indian site in Arizona.
http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu...

I think you just have to read it before you can criticize it.
Me
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 11:14:01 PM
Joseph Smith said: "There was NO Christian church left on earth" so he was commissioned by God to re-create it!
God said.. Eighteen Hundred years earlier; "I am with you ALWAYS, even to the end of the age"!
Clearly God did not leave his Church!!

Dogknox
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 11:17:18 PM
At 7/21/2012 11:14:01 PM, Dogknox wrote:
Joseph Smith said: "There was NO Christian church left on earth" so he was commissioned by God to re-create it!
God said.. Eighteen Hundred years earlier; "I am with you ALWAYS, even to the end of the age"!

Dogknox

The Fool: you mean someone wrote in a book that God said.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 2:15:08 PM
At 7/21/2012 11:14:01 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Dogknox
The least you can do is Quote correctly when Joseph Smith was 14 years old he said that he had a vision. At this point in his life he was attending many different religions and having a hard time choosing..
Joseph turned to the Bible for guidance. He read,

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him" ( James 1:5 ).

He went out into a grove of trees to be alone...

This is his account.
My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should join."
"I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in His sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: ‘they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.'"

Never has he ever said Christ was gone from the world, just that the fullness of his church was lost. Actually the church teaches that every one has the light of Christ and can acquire to him in prayer and has been that way sense Christ was on earth.
Me