Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Context?

ATHOS
Posts: 123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 4:41:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
In what "context" does this verse reflect a loving God?

'The LORD is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and wrath. He takes revenge on all who oppose him and furiously destroys his enemies! The LORD is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished. He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm. The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet. At his command the oceans and rivers dry up, the lush pastures of Bashan and Carmel fade, and the green forests of Lebanon wilt. In his presence the mountains quake, and the hills melt away; the earth trembles, and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before his fierce anger? Who can survive his burning fury? His rage blazes forth like fire, and the mountains crumble to dust in his presence. The LORD is good. When trouble comes, he is a strong refuge. And he knows everyone who trusts in him. But he sweeps away his enemies in an overwhelming flood. He pursues his foes into the darkness of night.' (Nahum 1:2-8 NLT)
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 1:53:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is Nahum's warning to the wicked people of Ninevah. It was the final warning given to them, where he was trying to explain God's power, and save the people from judgement. They returned to their wicked ways, and eventually were destroyed.

I see it as loving, to the good people, in the context that He eliminated that wickedness from the earth.

You see there is no way for God to come out looking like a good guy, when people are determined to find fault. People complain that He allows evil in the world, yet they also call Him a bad guy when He eliminates it.
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 1:57:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sort of like yelling at your kids to scare them out of jumping into a pit of fire. Sounds mean, but then again, they don't get burned to a crisp. :D
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 2:07:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Loving? Sure, there could be one. All loving? lol nah.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 2:09:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 2:07:37 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Loving? Sure, there could be one. All loving? lol nah.

We're discussing the verse, bro. Haha. Not the concept of an omnibenevolent God outside of the context of this verse.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 2:11:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 2:09:24 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
At 7/22/2012 2:07:37 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Loving? Sure, there could be one. All loving? lol nah.

We're discussing the verse, bro. Haha. Not the concept of an omnibenevolent God outside of the context of this verse.

"In what "context" does this verse reflect a loving God?"
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 5:24:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 1:53:58 PM, medic0506 wrote:
This is Nahum's warning to the wicked people of Ninevah. It was the final warning given to them, where he was trying to explain God's power, and save the people from judgement. They returned to their wicked ways, and eventually were destroyed.

I see it as loving, to the good people, in the context that He eliminated that wickedness from the earth.

You see there is no way for God to come out looking like a good guy, when people are determined to find fault. People complain that He allows evil in the world, yet they also call Him a bad guy when He eliminates it.

Well yeah, God could just wipe-out really evil people, and not wipeout entire "wicked" civilizations. God did not kill, Hitler, Bin Laden and Mao. Why would God find this whole civilization wicked enough to kill, but has never killed a contemporary evil person? Was this whole civilization more evil than Hitler, Bin Laden or Mao? I think God needs to get his priorities straight.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 5:26:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 1:57:49 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Sort of like yelling at your kids to scare them out of jumping into a pit of fire. Sounds mean, but then again, they don't get burned to a crisp. :D

Except God created the "pit of fire".
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 8:36:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 5:26:52 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/22/2012 1:57:49 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Sort of like yelling at your kids to scare them out of jumping into a pit of fire. Sounds mean, but then again, they don't get burned to a crisp. :D

Except God created the "pit of fire".

The Fool: lol
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Jessalyn
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:39:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 4:41:14 AM, ATHOS wrote:
In what "context" does this verse reflect a loving God?

'The LORD is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and wrath. He takes revenge on all who oppose him and furiously destroys his enemies! The LORD is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished. He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm. The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet. At his command the oceans and rivers dry up, the lush pastures of Bashan and Carmel fade, and the green forests of Lebanon wilt. In his presence the mountains quake, and the hills melt away; the earth trembles, and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before his fierce anger? Who can survive his burning fury? His rage blazes forth like fire, and the mountains crumble to dust in his presence. The LORD is good. When trouble comes, he is a strong refuge. And he knows everyone who trusts in him. But he sweeps away his enemies in an overwhelming flood. He pursues his foes into the darkness of night.' (Nahum 1:2-8 NLT)

It doesn't. BUT keep in mind you're citing a translated version, and who knows how much of the original text was altered in the translation process.
Even so, God is obviously not good, and certainly not real.
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:40:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 2:11:18 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/22/2012 2:09:24 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
At 7/22/2012 2:07:37 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Loving? Sure, there could be one. All loving? lol nah.

We're discussing the verse, bro. Haha. Not the concept of an omnibenevolent God outside of the context of this verse.

"In what "context" does this verse reflect a loving God?"

Yeah, saying "loving" but not "all loving" is vague.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
SuburbiaSurvivor
Posts: 872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:41:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 5:26:52 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/22/2012 1:57:49 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Sort of like yelling at your kids to scare them out of jumping into a pit of fire. Sounds mean, but then again, they don't get burned to a crisp. :D

Except God created the "pit of fire".

Of course, bro. You can't have love without a choice.
"I'm going to tell you something that you're never going to forget, SuburbiaSurvivor. Women... Are just human beings"
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:53:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 9:40:52 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
At 7/22/2012 2:11:18 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 7/22/2012 2:09:24 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
At 7/22/2012 2:07:37 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Loving? Sure, there could be one. All loving? lol nah.

We're discussing the verse, bro. Haha. Not the concept of an omnibenevolent God outside of the context of this verse.

"In what "context" does this verse reflect a loving God?"

Yeah, saying "loving" but not "all loving" is vague.

What do you mean?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:55:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 9:41:51 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
At 7/22/2012 5:26:52 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/22/2012 1:57:49 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Sort of like yelling at your kids to scare them out of jumping into a pit of fire. Sounds mean, but then again, they don't get burned to a crisp. :D

Except God created the "pit of fire".

Of course, bro. You can't have love without a choice.

So God creates the "pit of fire" and says "love me, or I will put you in the pit of fire". This sounds like a shotgun wedding. "Love and marry my daughter, or I will shoot you" says the redneck dad. "Love me, or I will put you in the put of fire" says God. If it was "love" there would be no need for threats.
jwesbruce
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:56:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 9:55:29 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:41:51 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
At 7/22/2012 5:26:52 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/22/2012 1:57:49 PM, SuburbiaSurvivor wrote:
Sort of like yelling at your kids to scare them out of jumping into a pit of fire. Sounds mean, but then again, they don't get burned to a crisp. :D

Except God created the "pit of fire".

Of course, bro. You can't have love without a choice.

So God creates the "pit of fire" and says "love me, or I will put you in the pit of fire". This sounds like a shotgun wedding. "Love and marry my daughter, or I will shoot you" says the redneck dad. "Love me, or I will put you in the put of fire" says God. If it was "love" there would be no need for threats.

And here in lies the problem with all of this. Intelligent theists will break their back defending such sayings and atheists can't look past the words and their logic. This is all circular. Nothing comes to a conclusion with these two stubborn stances.

It's all a myth, and whether that myth carries truth or is simply a myth is exclusively discovered on self-journey. The way to conclude the question of God is experience, not intellectual battle, stimulating albeit.

The only victim that religion and the bible fell victim to is that it was mediated by man. But God has nothing to do with it. The Jews were a pissed off people, so that was reflected in their interpretation of God. Buddha's zen-like paradigm reflected in his interpretation of the great unknown. She's felt by people who reach, but the conceiving and interpreting of her exact form and nature, that's the immense difficulty of all cultures, in past and present.