Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is God Really Omnipotent?

Jessalyn
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:57:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Okay. Why wouldn't he?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Jessalyn
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:00:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 9:56:40 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
Yes, also why did God have to rest on day 7?

Another good question...
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Jessalyn
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:01:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 9:57:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Okay. Why wouldn't he?

Why wouldn't he what?
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:04:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:01:11 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:57:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Okay. Why wouldn't he?

Why wouldn't he what?

Why wouldn't he create the world in six days? What about omnipotence would necessitate that God create in the shortest amount of time possible?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:09:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Because they aren't literal days? If they were literal days, you'd be right.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Jessalyn
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:15:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:04:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:01:11 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:57:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Okay. Why wouldn't he?

Why wouldn't he what?

Why wouldn't he create the world in six days? What about omnipotence would necessitate that God create in the shortest amount of time possible?

If he truly had limitless powers, it would not require any time or effort to create the world.
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Jessalyn
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:18:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.

I see your point, but what would be one's reason for performing a task in 6 days rather than instantaneously?
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:20:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:18:00 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.

I see your point, but what would be one's reason for performing a task in 6 days rather than instantaneously?

How would a 17-year-old kid possibly comprehend the motives of an omniscient deity in creating the Universe?
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:24:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 9:57:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Okay. Why wouldn't he?

I always thought the stone paradox proved that omnipotence is logically impossible. Then again, I'm not familiar with any objections to it. Can I hear yours?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:31:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago

I always thought the stone paradox proved that omnipotence is logically impossible. Then again, I'm not familiar with any objections to it. Can I hear yours?

I don't think the stone paradox proves this. "Can God create a stone so big he cannot move it?" I would say God can create a stone infinitely big, however he will be able to move this stone.
thett3
Posts: 14,344
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:46:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:24:14 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:57:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Okay. Why wouldn't he?

I always thought the stone paradox proved that omnipotence is logically impossible. Then again, I'm not familiar with any objections to it. Can I hear yours?

http://www.debate.org...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
mark.marrocco
Posts: 236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:46:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://en.m.wikipedia.org...
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:50:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

God likes to set a good example. Otherwise, he'd need an elevnth commandment saying "rest once every seven days" and that'd be kinda odd.
Jessalyn
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:01:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:20:55 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:18:00 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.

I see your point, but what would be one's reason for performing a task in 6 days rather than instantaneously?

How would a 17-year-old kid possibly comprehend the motives of an omniscient deity in creating the Universe?

No one could. I just don't see a point in doing it in 6 days rather than 5, 4, 3, or less.
WARNING: Hitchslaps may become inflamed when accompanied by unceasing stupidity.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:08:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 11:01:25 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:20:55 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:18:00 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.

I see your point, but what would be one's reason for performing a task in 6 days rather than instantaneously?

How would a 17-year-old kid possibly comprehend the motives of an omniscient deity in creating the Universe?

No one could. I just don't see a point in doing it in 6 days rather than 5, 4, 3, or less.

Like I said, an omnipotent God has no need for efficiency. It is rather pointless, then, to object to his omnipotence based on the human need for efficiency.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
InquireTruth
Posts: 723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:31:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days?

This makes two bad assumptions. Namely, (1) that the specific hermeneutic wherein we derive a six day literal understanding, without deference to similar literary epics in the Ancient Near East, is correct. Also, (2) that omnipotence is contingent upon the speed at which any given action is fulfilled. Both are not defensible propositions.

Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time.

Except for the fact that it took him no time at all (literally) to create the universe. Meaning, of course, that there is not always a possibility for what you propose.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:52:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:09:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Because they aren't literal days? If they were literal days, you'd be right.

The Fool: You did 'Read' the bible right? ;)

What are the other kind of days?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:53:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:20:55 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:18:00 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.

I see your point, but what would be one's reason for performing a task in 6 days rather than instantaneously?

How would a 17-year-old kid possibly comprehend the motives of an omniscient deity in creating the Universe?

The Fool: Einstein couldnt' comprehend it? why do you think you can?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:55:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:31:33 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I always thought the stone paradox proved that omnipotence is logically impossible. Then again, I'm not familiar with any objections to it. Can I hear yours?

I don't think the stone paradox proves this. "Can God create a stone so big he cannot move it?" I would say God can create a stone infinitely big, however he will be able to move this stone.

The Fool: I can't tell if its a joke..
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 12:03:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 11:53:44 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:20:55 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:18:00 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.

I see your point, but what would be one's reason for performing a task in 6 days rather than instantaneously?

How would a 17-year-old kid possibly comprehend the motives of an omniscient deity in creating the Universe?

The Fool: Einstein couldnt' comprehend it? why do you think you can?

Maybe I'm missing the point of your response, but my above quoted response to Jessalyn clearly states that I can't comprehend it.

Moreover, your response is additional support for the statement I made.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 12:10:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 11:31:03 PM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days?

This makes two bad assumptions. Namely, (1) that the specific hermeneutic wherein we derive a six day literal understanding, without deference to similar literary epics in the Ancient Near East, is correct.

The Fool: Are you not making a bad assumption to assume God spoke in puzzles that have to be solved. Doesn't such things decredit the entire book.

;Also, (2) that omnipotence is contingent upon the speed at which any given action is fulfilled. Both are not defensible propositions.

The Fool: Is not omnipontet a bad assumption. What is the specific method by which you tell the difference.

Except for the fact that it took him no time at all (literally) to create the universe.

The Fool: Fact!!?? Pls demonstrate this fact?? If the Bibles literary meaning is not a fact, then how are you getting the facts otherwise ? How do you Demarcate when he is speaking in Code and then literally? what is you criteria?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 12:12:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/23/2012 12:03:41 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 11:53:44 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:20:55 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:18:00 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.

I see your point, but what would be one's reason for performing a task in 6 days rather than instantaneously?

How would a 17-year-old kid possibly comprehend the motives of an omniscient deity in creating the Universe?

The Fool: Einstein couldnt' comprehend it? why do you think you can?

Maybe I'm missing the point of your response, but my above quoted response to Jessalyn clearly states that I can't comprehend it.

Moreover, your response is additional support for the statement I made.

The Fool: you can't claim to know what you can't comprehend now could you. So then by what bases do you claim to have knowledge of such things.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 12:13:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:24:14 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:57:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Okay. Why wouldn't he?

I always thought the stone paradox proved that omnipotence is logically impossible. Then again, I'm not familiar with any objections to it. Can I hear yours?

I got this bro.

The most common objection to the stone paradox deals with the definition of omnipotence and says that God is confined to the laws of logic.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 12:15:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/23/2012 12:12:36 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 7/23/2012 12:03:41 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 11:53:44 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:20:55 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:18:00 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.

I see your point, but what would be one's reason for performing a task in 6 days rather than instantaneously?

How would a 17-year-old kid possibly comprehend the motives of an omniscient deity in creating the Universe?

The Fool: Einstein couldnt' comprehend it? why do you think you can?

Maybe I'm missing the point of your response, but my above quoted response to Jessalyn clearly states that I can't comprehend it.

Moreover, your response is additional support for the statement I made.

The Fool: you can't claim to know what you can't comprehend now could you. So then by what bases do you claim to have knowledge of such things.

Uh...what? I don't understand quantum chromodynamics. I know that I don't comprehend it. I also know that I don't comprehend God's motives for creating the Universe in any specific timeframe. I am merely stating that God has no need for efficiency because efficiency implies that one has limited time and/or limited resources for a specific outcome.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 12:17:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 10:04:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:01:11 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:57:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Okay. Why wouldn't he?

Why wouldn't he what?

Why wouldn't he create the world in six days? What about omnipotence would necessitate that God create in the shortest amount of time possible?

The Fool: That is you can't comprehend what would necessitate him right? Because he does miricles. If you say not then he is not special if you say yes.
If a miricle is the impossible, then any other explanation is more likley to be true and is therefore BETTER!. (Hume re-masterd by The Fool)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 12:21:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/23/2012 12:15:00 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/23/2012 12:12:36 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 7/23/2012 12:03:41 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 11:53:44 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:20:55 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:18:00 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.

I see your point, but what would be one's reason for performing a task in 6 days rather than instantaneously?

How would a 17-year-old kid possibly comprehend the motives of an omniscient deity in creating the Universe?

The Fool: Einstein couldnt' comprehend it? why do you think you can?

Maybe I'm missing the point of your response, but my above quoted response to Jessalyn clearly states that I can't comprehend it.

Moreover, your response is additional support for the statement I made.

The Fool: you can't claim to know what you can't comprehend now could you. So then by what bases do you claim to have knowledge of such things.

Uh...what? I don't understand quantum chromodynamics.

The Fool: not this time. <(XD)

I know that I don't comprehend it.

The Fool: But how could you know what you don't comprehend? because not comprehending is NOT KNOWING

I also know that I don't comprehend God's motives for creating the Universe in any specific timeframe.

The Fool: You can't know what you don't you comprehend that is a contradiction.

I am merely stating that God has no need for efficiency because efficiency implies that one has limited time and/or limited resources for a specific outcome.

The Fool: But you can't state what you can't comphrehend all you can say is I DON"T KNOW>
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 12:29:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/23/2012 12:21:57 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 7/23/2012 12:15:00 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/23/2012 12:12:36 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 7/23/2012 12:03:41 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 11:53:44 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:20:55 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:18:00 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:06:41 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 7/22/2012 9:48:19 PM, Jessalyn wrote:
Why, if God is omnipotent as he is claimed to be, was the world supposedly created in 6 days? Was he not fast enough to do it in 5? No matter how long it took him to create the Earth, there's always the possibility of him doing it in a shorter amount of time. Why did it take him 6 days and not 5? Why 5 and not 4? Why 2 seconds and not 1? No matter how long one claims it took him, I can't help but ask why he couldn't do it faster.

Thoughts?

Efficiency is only needed for someone with a limited amount of time or a limited amount of resources. God has unlimited time and unlimited resources -- so there's no need for him to be efficient, by human standards.

I see your point, but what would be one's reason for performing a task in 6 days rather than instantaneously?

How would a 17-year-old kid possibly comprehend the motives of an omniscient deity in creating the Universe?

The Fool: Einstein couldnt' comprehend it? why do you think you can?

Maybe I'm missing the point of your response, but my above quoted response to Jessalyn clearly states that I can't comprehend it.

Moreover, your response is additional support for the statement I made.

The Fool: you can't claim to know what you can't comprehend now could you. So then by what bases do you claim to have knowledge of such things.

Uh...what? I don't understand quantum chromodynamics.

The Fool: not this time. <(XD)

I know that I don't comprehend it.

The Fool: But how could you know what you don't comprehend? because not comprehending is NOT KNOWING

I also know that I don't comprehend God's motives for creating the Universe in any specific timeframe.

The Fool: You can't know what you don't you comprehend that is a contradiction.

I am merely stating that God has no need for efficiency because efficiency implies that one has limited time and/or limited resources for a specific outcome.

The Fool: But you can't state what you can't comphrehend all you can say is I DON"T KNOW>

Seriously dude?

I'm not stating that I know the content of the subjects I don't comprehend -- that would be a contradiction. I'm stating that I am aware that I don't comprehend it. You can be aware of the existence of a certain subject X, but you can be aware that you don't comprehend the details of that subject X. There is no contradiction here.

My point stands: I know that I don't comprehend quantum chromodynamics. I know that I don't comprehend the motives of an omniscient deity.

None of this is relevant to God's lack of need for efficiency.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.