Does the Bible present any self-contraditions

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 7:41:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Pretty simple.

Are there any examples of self-contradicting statements within the Christian bible or the Qu'ran (sorry if I get this wrong. Not even sure if this is related to Christiantiy, I apologise if I've got it wrong. I do not intend to offend anyone)?

I am Agnostic and interested in the point of view from Christians and Athiests. Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 9:13:26 AM
PSA 145:9 "The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works."

JER 13:14 "And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them."

If the Lord was good to all, then he obviously wouldn't show no pity against people and destroy them. Unless mercy is bad and destroying people is good, in that case, I hope that Christians leave their religion now before they get morally poisoned into thinking things that like destroying people and showing no pity is acceptable behavior.

EXO 15:3 "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name."

ROM 15:33 "Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen."

Clear contradiction. You cannot be a God of war and a God of peace at the same time.

MAT 1:16 "And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ."

LUK 3:23 "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli."

Who was the actual son of Joseph?

JOH 10:30 "I and my Father are one."

JOH 14:28 "Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

If Jesus and his Father are one, then how could his father be greater? They are the same...

PRO 4:7 "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding."

ECC 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

1CO 1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

Is wisdom a good thing or bad thing according to The Bible? There seems to be contradictory messages.

Anyway, I could go on, but I think you get the point.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 1:10:02 PM
At 7/29/2012 9:13:26 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

This kind of thing is why it is so important to discuss these things with a Biblical studies major and Theologian. If you just ask the random lay atheist you get these unstudied citations.

For example

PSA 145:9 "The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works."

JER 13:14 "And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them."

These clearly do not conflict. Pslam 145 verse
17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways
and faithful in all he does.
18 The Lord is near to all who call on him,
to all who call on him in truth.
19 He fulfills the desires of those who fear him;
he hears their cry and saves them.
20 The Lord watches over all who love him,
but all the wicked he will destroy.

Clearly this contextual concept of God destroying the wicked but upholding the righteous is entirely in view in both passages. Taking things out of context just makes one look like an scholastic noob. There is a scholastic process in place within academia for obvious reasons.

If the Lord was good to all, then he obviously wouldn't show no pity against people and destroy them. Unless mercy is bad and destroying people is good, in that case, I hope that Christians leave their religion now before they get morally poisoned into thinking things that like destroying people and showing no pity is acceptable behavior.

The single theme you can take away from the Biblical studies course would be:

"Bad people kill good people. Bad people kill bad people. Good people kill bad people."

Our Christian culture consistently reflects this theme. Pro death penalty for bad people, Pro self protection against bad people with deadly force, the protection of innocent good babies.

We affirm that harsh punishments will be delineated from God against evil people, evil nations and evil cultures.