Comming out to the church

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:08:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hey guys,

I go to a rather fundamentalist Southern Baptist church with my parents (yes, I'm still forced to go) and I would like to come out to them. I joined the church as an official member with my family a few months back and would like to fully come out as an atheist. They know that I accept evolution and do not take the Bible seriously when it comes to the Flood myth. However, how can I fully come out that I am an atheist?

Also, how can I convince my parents that I no longer believe in Christian fables? I have Asperger's syndrome and they feel that it is only the Asperger's speaking when I doubt or don't have enough faith. It is indeed a fact that people with AS have serious trouble with faith.

Thanks,
Dave
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
MattDescopa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:19:58 PM
Well first of all there are social consequences of your proclaiming atheism. Before, you say that one should proclaim what they truly believe think about it. What if in the future you become less confident of your atheism and change to agnosticism or a form of deism. If you proclaim your atheism you must be almost 100% certain, if your still fluctuating then one shouldn't.

It could be right now that you have more zeal because of your youth and the 'rebel' feel of rejecting norms.

Also look at how secularized America has become. There really is no visible or noticable difference between the atheist and the christian nowadays. You can go to parties fornicate etc and still call yourself a christian. There is really no benefit of proclaiming your atheism other than negative drawbacks.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:20:13 PM
Just referring to the Asbergers point, simply put, if they don't want to take something as true, they'll blame it on that. I imagine that it would be thought of as being a "rebel" and a "fad" if you didn't believe in God instead. Simply state it, then don't go to church if you don't want to. Keep into account it may be easier and better to just go to church. Also keep into account that they will probably still think you'll change later. Don't try to debate, don't try to discuss. Just state it, and get over it. The discussion won't be a refrained civil one, and I speak from experience - for myself and others. Just state it repeatedly, calmly, and with a smile. A lawyering persona will go better than a thousand words, when it comes to "coming out of the religious closet", so to speak.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:44:19 PM
At 7/30/2012 1:20:13 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Just referring to the Asbergers point, simply put, if they don't want to take something as true, they'll blame it on that. I imagine that it would be thought of as being a "rebel" and a "fad" if you didn't believe in God instead. Simply state it, then don't go to church if you don't want to. Keep into account it may be easier and better to just go to church. Also keep into account that they will probably still think you'll change later. Don't try to debate, don't try to discuss. Just state it, and get over it. The discussion won't be a refrained civil one, and I speak from experience - for myself and others. Just state it repeatedly, calmly, and with a smile. A lawyering persona will go better than a thousand words, when it comes to "coming out of the religious closet", so to speak.

This ^. Just openly state your beliefs and that you truly see no reason to think Christianity is true. They will understand that forcing you to do things is bad, eventually.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:53:47 PM
At 7/30/2012 1:44:19 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 7/30/2012 1:20:13 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

This ^. Just openly state your beliefs and that you truly see no reason to think Christianity is true. They will understand that forcing you to do things is bad, eventually.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 2:59:20 PM
At 7/30/2012 1:19:58 PM, MattDescopa wrote:
Well first of all there are social consequences of your proclaiming atheism. Before, you say that one should proclaim what they truly believe think about it. What if in the future you become less confident of your atheism and change to agnosticism or a form of deism. If you proclaim your atheism you must be almost 100% certain, if your still fluctuating then one shouldn't.

It could be right now that you have more zeal because of your youth and the 'rebel' feel of rejecting norms.

Also look at how secularized America has become. There really is no visible or noticable difference between the atheist and the christian nowadays. You can go to parties fornicate etc and still call yourself a christian. There is really no benefit of proclaiming your atheism other than negative drawbacks.

This is all true, and on top of that there's just no reason to "come out as an atheist" in front of your congregation. You've already told your parents, and I hate to say it but it'll just make you a pariah if you somehow stand in front of the congregation and declare yourself an atheist. No one cares and there's no reason this needs to extend beyond the family. Don't mean to sound harsh, just some honest advice.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 3:11:24 PM
I think it is genuinely very interesting, how many people here have claimed to have Asberger's.

I think this would be the third? Fourth?

So interesting!

I was looking into it, and there seems to be some correlation between intelligence and Asperger's, although threre is a lot of contention with that.