Jump to topic:

Question for both sides...

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:11:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
How would the discovery of extra-terrestrial life affect your beleifs about God??

I'm guessing most atheists would say I told you so, but would theists be convinced that God is no longer likely to exist??
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:13:07 AM
Wouldn't hurt my religion at all. That is like saying if we found a new species of animal. God could have made a space animal and not have mentioned it. Cats are not in the bible.
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:15:10 AM
Also, the argument comes up from n00bs "But does that mean Jesus would have had to die for them?"

The answer is no. He would have only had to die for things that have souls. He did not die for all the fish, birds, and cows of the earth.
kfc
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:27:39 AM
At 8/4/2012 12:11:10 AM, medic0506 wrote:
How would the discovery of extra-terrestrial life affect your beleifs about God??

I'm guessing most atheists would say I told you so, but would theists be convinced that God is no longer likely to exist??

The Fools: Atheism isnt a SIDE. Its only Christianity that speaks gives this false empression because the bible makes says that Athiest are evil. But that has not bearing on reality.

Atheist are not a team but a set of individuals, some with idealogies, Buddiest, scientologist. I am an agnostic, who is against any irratational form of fundementalism. I thing all formed of Ideology are bad news. Because it makes people irrational which is the cause of immoralilty.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:28:01 AM

I believe in what you call extra-terrestrial life. That is within the Bible. Gen chapter 6. Sons of God came to earth. Many upon many civilizations talk about extra-terrestrials. I realise that what I call them and what you do are different. I call them fallen angels- demons- Fallen Sons of God.
TheAsylum
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:31:37 AM
At 8/4/2012 12:15:10 AM, Koopin wrote:
Also, the argument comes up from n00bs "But does that mean Jesus would have had to die for them?"

The answer is no. He would have only had to die for things that have souls. He did not die for all the fish, birds, and cows of the earth.

Are you saying extraterrestrials don't have souls? That's harsh, bro. Maybe you don't have a soul, and instead an invisible chicken is your eternal personality.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:32:08 AM
At 8/4/2012 12:27:39 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fools: Atheism isnt a SIDE. Its only Christianity that gives this false impression because the bible says that Athiest are evil. But that has no bearing on reality.

Atheist are not a team but a set of individuals, some with idealogies, Buddiestm, scientologist and more. I am an agnostic, who is against any irratational form of fundementalism. I think all formes of Ideology are bad news.
I argue on what Christians call the SIDE of athiesm, but as an opponent against irrationalism.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:32:51 AM

The Fools: Atheism isnt a SIDE. Its only Christianity that speaks gives this false empression because the bible makes says that Athiest are evil. But that has not bearing on reality.

Atheist are not a team but a set of individuals, some with idealogies, Buddiest, scientologist. I am an agnostic, who is against any irratational form of fundementalism. I thing all formed of Ideology are bad news. Because it makes people irrational which is the cause of immoralilty.

Without a solid form of Idealogy then you have no structure in your life. Your reality is not my reality. The problem is your think our realities are the same. I do not see and experience the world as you do. I give into God that actually created this world and you question His existence. Its hard to see reality when you refuse the being giving the real.
TheAsylum
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:33:14 AM
At 8/4/2012 12:31:37 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Are you saying extraterrestrials don't have souls? That's harsh, bro. Maybe you don't have a soul, and instead an invisible chicken is your eternal personality.

Nay, they do not. So we can eat them if it comes down to it.
kfc
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:33:34 AM
At 8/4/2012 12:28:01 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

I believe in what you call extra-terrestrial life. That is within the Bible. Gen chapter 6. Sons of God came to earth. Many upon many civilizations talk about extra-terrestrials. I realise that what I call them and what you do are different. I call them fallen angels- demons- Fallen Sons of God.

The Fool: God is an alien!! I thought heaven wasn't in the sky, but some mystial dimension...
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:34:57 AM

Defending extraterrestrials?LOL. They have souls and have chosen their fate long before we did. They are good and bad. This life is our choice.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:37:04 AM
At 8/4/2012 12:33:34 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: God is an alien!! I thought heaven wasn't in the sky, but some mystial dimension...

No it is you and whoever that call them alien. When in reality we are the aliens because they have been around alot longer then we.
TheAsylum
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:42:32 AM
Televangelists would find a way to argue that the arrival of extraterrestrial life is predicted in scripture, and Christianity would live for another hundred years.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 12:54:09 AM
At 8/4/2012 12:37:04 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/4/2012 12:33:34 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

No it is you and whoever that call them alien. When in reality we are the aliens because they have been around alot longer then we.

The Fool: I don't know if existing is a criteria. for Alien. I think not in our galaxy possible OUTSIDE is a better criteria of Alien!!

Can you demonstrated this existence???
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 1:08:04 AM

If we found extra-terrestrial life, you'd believe they were angels or demons?? This life would be found on another planet, so wouldn't you be implying that Heaven, and God, can be found on a planet??
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 1:16:02 AM
At 8/4/2012 12:13:07 AM, Koopin wrote:
Wouldn't hurt my religion at all. That is like saying if we found a new species of animal. God could have made a space animal and not have mentioned it. Cats are not in the bible.

Fair point, but the problem comes in when you look at the fate of the earth. After armegeddon, E.T. life would seem to still exist because the Bible doesn't mention the destruction of other worlds.

Why would God put soul-less beings on a seperate planet and just leave them?? What purpose could they serve??
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 1:16:10 AM

Uh, I actually think the theist ought to be more open to ET's than atheists. Since on atheism life just arose inexplicably but the theist believes God has the causal power & will to freely create whatever.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 1:21:37 AM
At 8/4/2012 1:16:02 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 8/4/2012 12:13:07 AM, Koopin wrote:

Fair point, but the problem comes in when you look at the fate of the earth. After armegeddon, E.T. life would seem to still exist because the Bible doesn't mention the destruction of other worlds.

Why would God put soul-less beings on a seperate planet and just leave them?? What purpose could they serve??

Social experiment without the messy moral issues. Soul-less ETs would be like bio machines basically so they can't be wronged. I rather think the evolution of species is like this. I think God would want to experiment a bit with many different ways of social coherence prior to inserting a soul 'from above' into early hominids.

Just look at ants! Basically machines with nano-processors in place of a 'mind' or 'soul' and their society works flawlessly. But the problem is they war with other colonies.. they're racist if given souls from above. Higher primates however have the slightest ability to take on other 'tribes' as friends.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 2:33:43 AM
At 8/4/2012 1:08:04 AM, medic0506 wrote:

If we found extra-terrestrial life, you'd believe they were angels or demons?? This life would be found on another planet, so wouldn't you be implying that Heaven, and God, can be found on a planet??

I never implied any such thing. God is outside any planet or universe.
TheAsylum
HappyHeathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 4:37:08 AM

What if the life is found and it is vastly superior to us. How would you explain your god creating another form of life that was more advanced but then decided he needed to sacrifice his son for some inferior life form?
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 4:50:31 AM

Wouldn't effect my lack of belief in the slightest. I can't imagine why it would effect an atheist.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 5:29:09 AM

Christianity isn't a SIDE either.

Christians are individuals too. There are only "sides" to people who engage in "us/them" thinking, and you find that kind of thinking on both "sides".

There are only two kinds of people in the world, those who think there are only two kinds of people in the world, and those who don't.

I don't.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 6:42:51 AM

Who says there aren't beings way more intelligent than us? Why wouldn't they have a "soul"?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 6:43:58 AM

You call aliens fallen angels- demons- Fallen Sons of God? No, they are just biological organisms. Sorry.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 6:45:22 AM
Obviously, the existence of aliens wouldn't effect atheists at all. However, the idea that there are other planets out there which God may have more interest in than Earth, may scare the theists a bit.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 10:39:03 AM

No effect. They didn't quit being theists when we climbed Mt Olympus and learned that the gods didn't have a city there. They didn't quit being theists when it turned out the sky isn't a firmament or the Earth isn't flat. They didn't quit being theists when it turned out that you can thwart god's aim with a simple lightning rod. They didn't quit being theists when it turned out that the earth is old, and was never flooded. Why should they quit being theists because of aliens? They'll just say, "In my father's house there are many mansions," and keep on being theists so long as that is emotionally rewarding to them. Or they'll say, "Hey, what are the odds of two separate species happening on two separate planets totally by accident? This proves there's a god!"
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 10:41:12 AM

I have three souls. It probably averages out.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 10:50:08 AM
It would be interesting to panspermia but it would not affect atheists in the slightest. If this happens, I can almost guarantee theists rendering every word in the bible to mean a different thing so that they can co-exist.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 10:52:32 AM
At 8/4/2012 1:16:02 AM, medic0506 wrote:

1. God works in mysterious ways.

2. He did it to test your faith.

3. If you don't see it the way god does, that just proves that you're a reprobate. Enjoy Hellfire!