Total Posts:89|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Inefficient God

Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 3:59:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I was on my way back from the grocery store when I started thinking about how inefficient God is.

I mean, just think about it. For one, the universe is billions upon billions of light-years big, and we, as the "Creation," are left to one little backwater planet next to a very common star. What is the point to all this space if, as DATC claims constantly, we're all going to be doomed soon anyways?

I find that very inefficient; why not have the Earth as the center of the universe, literally? I mean, heck, we're not even in the center of our galaxy, and the sun doesn't revolve around us as you would expect God's favoured creatures would be treated.

Also, what the heck is with our tailbone and appendix? These things aren't needed, in fact they are literally quite useless. How inefficient is that?

Why is God so inefficient?
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:08:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:05:04 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/4/2009 4:03:07 PM, Nags wrote:
God works in mysterious ways.. duh.

God works in inefficient ways.

That's five more years in purgatory for you, Mr.Volkov. Don't doubt the almight. He gets jealous.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:11:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:08:24 PM, Nags wrote:
At 9/4/2009 4:05:04 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/4/2009 4:03:07 PM, Nags wrote:
God works in mysterious ways.. duh.

God works in inefficient ways.

That's five more years in purgatory for you, Mr.Volkov. Don't doubt the almight. He gets jealous.

I noticed that with Commandments One and Two. I'm sure purgatory won't be that either.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:17:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:14:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I've always wondered, if God created us, does that make us his ONLY creations? How do we know that, somewhere or other, there isn't a race like us, doing the exact same things? That, perhaps, we're one of many sets of people?

That would make sense with the amount of space given for us to roam. There has to be some reason why the universe is that large.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:20:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
In all seriousness though,

I don't really like this argument. Earth is in the perfect place. If it was a few thousand miles in any other direction, Earth would either be too hot or too cold to live on.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:21:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:17:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/4/2009 4:14:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I've always wondered, if God created us, does that make us his ONLY creations? How do we know that, somewhere or other, there isn't a race like us, doing the exact same things? That, perhaps, we're one of many sets of people?

That would make sense with the amount of space given for us to roam. There has to be some reason why the universe is that large.

Furthermore, it could be entirely possible that, assuming that there are multiple planets, each with a created dominant race (human or otherwise), there is also a separate 'God' that was set up to govern each world. Interesting thought, either way.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:24:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:21:54 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/4/2009 4:17:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/4/2009 4:14:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I've always wondered, if God created us, does that make us his ONLY creations? How do we know that, somewhere or other, there isn't a race like us, doing the exact same things? That, perhaps, we're one of many sets of people?

That would make sense with the amount of space given for us to roam. There has to be some reason why the universe is that large.

Furthermore, it could be entirely possible that, assuming that there are multiple planets, each with a created dominant race (human or otherwise), there is also a separate 'God' that was set up to govern each world. Interesting thought, either way.

Obviously. There are thousands of different Gods on this planet. What makes you think another fictional God would be made up on another planet. Assuming human-like species exist on other planets that is. But, if you are inferring that there are multiple Gods, I think you're wrong. There can only be one God, if there even is one.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:24:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:20:29 PM, Nags wrote:
In all seriousness though,

I don't really like this argument. Earth is in the perfect place. If it was a few thousand miles in any other direction, Earth would either be too hot or too cold to live on.

I get a billion Petri dishes with the ability for sustainable life, at say, 37.1 degrees Celsius. I put them in a room with varying degrees of heat, mostly extreme. I guarantee you at least one will grow bacteria, and therefore, life.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
patsox834
Posts: 406
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:25:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:17:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/4/2009 4:14:59 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I've always wondered, if God created us, does that make us his ONLY creations? How do we know that, somewhere or other, there isn't a race like us, doing the exact same things? That, perhaps, we're one of many sets of people?

That would make sense with the amount of space given for us to roam. There has to be some reason why the universe is that large.

Moreover, by the principle of uniformitarianism, I'd think that somewhere, at some point, another planet with conditions suitable for life existed. And maybe even another one before that. Hell, for all we know, the formation and eventual destruction of planets containing life is essentially a never ending cycle. Things like that really make me question how cognizant we really are of the universe around us.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:26:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 3:59:56 PM, Volkov wrote:
I was on my way back from the grocery store when I started thinking about how inefficient God is.

I mean, just think about it. For one, the universe is billions upon billions of light-years big, and we, as the "Creation," are left to one little backwater planet next to a very common star. What is the point to all this space if, as DATC claims constantly, we're all going to be doomed soon anyways?

Never looked up at the stars at night? That's what what they are there for.. to look at.
Can you imagine how claustrophobic a smaller universe would be?

I find that very inefficient; why not have the Earth as the center of the universe, literally? I mean, heck, we're not even in the center of our galaxy, and the sun doesn't revolve around us as you would expect God's favoured creatures would be treated.

Being at the centre of a vast universe or not being at the centre have nothing to do with efficiency. Everything continues as it does wherever we are situated.

Also, what the heck is with our tailbone and appendix? These things aren't needed, in fact they are literally quite useless. How inefficient is that?

Your eyes are not NEEDED. Nor are your arms. Or legs.
The appendix helps to regulate the immune system.
The coccyx (not a tail bone) is attached to muscles that help us perform certain bodily functions, namely defecation. (people born without a coccyx have to wear diapers all of their lives)
If you ever bruise it you'll see just HOW much you use it.

Why is God so inefficient?

Inefficiency is posting things as facts instead of as questions.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:27:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:20:29 PM, Nags wrote:
In all seriousness though,

I don't really like this argument. Earth is in the perfect place. If it was a few thousand miles in any other direction, Earth would either be too hot or too cold to live on.

That isn't the point though...

God is the authority, creator of the universe, alpha and omega, all that stuff. He can create the perfect conditions regardless of where we are, because He's God. He could allow us to live underwater, in the center of the sun, or with no sun, or with no temperature variations...

Point is, God's ability to create isn't supposed to be limited by physics, because if He was, then there is something limiting His powers that exists outside of His control, which would present a whole host of other issues.

No, its clear that God is just inefficient.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:27:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
The seemingly superfluous space of the universe could be a testament to god's grandeur, somehow necessary for the future of humankind, a domain of some physical manifestation of god, a habitat for additional creations, or hold some other incomprehensible purpose.

Similar answers could exist for the Earth's position at the far end of an otherwise unspectacular galaxy. Perhaps the Earth's underwhelming place in the grand scale of the universe serves as a parallel to man's relationship with god.

I won't say god is efficient, but I'm not sure these arguments prove he isn't.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:29:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:27:07 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/4/2009 4:20:29 PM, Nags wrote:
In all seriousness though,

I don't really like this argument. Earth is in the perfect place. If it was a few thousand miles in any other direction, Earth would either be too hot or too cold to live on.

That isn't the point though...

God is the authority, creator of the universe, alpha and omega, all that stuff. He can create the perfect conditions regardless of where we are, because He's God. He could allow us to live underwater, in the center of the sun, or with no sun, or with no temperature variations...

Point is, God's ability to create isn't supposed to be limited by physics, because if He was, then there is something limiting His powers that exists outside of His control, which would present a whole host of other issues.

No, its clear that God is just inefficient.

Good points my friend. I agree with you now.
burningpuppies101
Posts: 1,268
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:30:39 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
One thing I've always wondered, and this was brought up before:

If there is a God, and we are His Creation, then what about all the other planets that astronomers now believe have the same potential for life as Earth? Does that mean that God (provided he exists) had more than one creation? and if so, who's his favorite? And please, don't answer with; he loves us all with equal love.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:30:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:26:32 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Never looked up at the stars at night? That's what what they are there for.. to look at.
Can you imagine how claustrophobic a smaller universe would be?

What would it matter? Its God. He can do whatever He wants, create whatever He wants, without all the waste.

Being at the centre of a vast universe or not being at the centre have nothing to do with efficiency. Everything continues as it does wherever we are situated.

It does have to do with efficiency; why have all this space exist when we are the only creatures it is made for? What is the point? If we're doomed to a finite existence on His terms, then it is all waste; and waste is the result of inefficiency.

Your eyes are not NEEDED. Nor are your arms. Or legs.
The appendix helps to regulate the immune system.
The coccyx (not a tail bone) is attached to muscles that help us perform certain bodily functions, namely defecation. (people born without a coccyx have to wear diapers all of their lives)
If you ever bruise it you'll see just HOW much you use it.

Existence =/= usefulness.

And you're right. Nothing is needed; to a point, we're not even needed. God just created us for no reason; we're waste, and our existence is inefficient, which means God, as our creator, is inefficient.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:34:39 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If the Bible is the undeniable word of God, it says the Revelations will occur before we get a moon colony. It also states he revelation will be on Earth so I'm moving to the Mars colony ASAP :D.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
NotPurpleHaze
Posts: 239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:47:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:27:22 PM, Maikuru wrote:
The seemingly superfluous space of the universe could be a testament to god's grandeur, somehow necessary for the future of humankind, a domain of some physical manifestation of god, a habitat for additional creations, or hold some other incomprehensible purpose.

Similar answers could exist for the Earth's position at the far end of an otherwise unspectacular galaxy. Perhaps the Earth's underwhelming place in the grand scale of the universe serves as a parallel to man's relationship with god.

I won't say god is efficient, but I'm not sure these arguments prove he isn't.

That was beautiful.......
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 4:53:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:47:01 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:
At 9/4/2009 4:27:22 PM, Maikuru wrote:
The seemingly superfluous space of the universe could be a testament to god's grandeur, somehow necessary for the future of humankind, a domain of some physical manifestation of god, a habitat for additional creations, or hold some other incomprehensible purpose.

Similar answers could exist for the Earth's position at the far end of an otherwise unspectacular galaxy. Perhaps the Earth's underwhelming place in the grand scale of the universe serves as a parallel to man's relationship with god.

I won't say god is efficient, but I'm not sure these arguments prove he isn't.

That was beautiful.......

Hahah thanks. It would be even more so if I actually believed it =D
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 5:13:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 5:12:05 PM, mongeese wrote:
Efficiency is only required if effort is an actual factor.

Six days of work is not effort?
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 9:03:39 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 5:13:59 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/4/2009 5:12:05 PM, mongeese wrote:
Efficiency is only required if effort is an actual factor.

Six days of work is not effort?

That perspective only stands through a literal interpretation of creation. Even then, it's shaky.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 9:07:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:20:29 PM, Nags wrote:
In all seriousness though,

I don't really like this argument. Earth is in the perfect place. If it was a few thousand miles in any other direction, Earth would either be too hot or too cold to live on.

And what is it that makes life so much better than any other of the infinite number of chemical reactions going about in the universe o.o?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:09:50 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 5:12:05 PM, mongeese wrote:
Efficiency is only required if effort is an actual factor.

OR when Ones resources are FINITE.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 5:42:50 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:24:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/4/2009 4:20:29 PM, Nags wrote:

I get a billion Petri dishes with the ability for sustainable life, at say, 37.1 degrees Celsius. I put them in a room with varying degrees of heat, mostly extreme. I guarantee you at least one will grow bacteria, and therefore, life.

Sounds suspiciously like what my partner does for a living. O.o
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 5:46:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/5/2009 5:42:50 AM, Puck wrote:
Sounds suspiciously like what my partner does for a living. O.o

I hate to be nosy, but why is your partner growing bacteria in extreme conditions?
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 5:50:42 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/4/2009 4:20:29 PM, Nags wrote:
In all seriousness though,

I don't really like this argument. Earth is in the perfect place. If it was a few thousand miles in any other direction, Earth would either be too hot or too cold to live on.

Add a few 100 million years and it will be crispy fried as the sun expands. Mars will intially become the next 'perfect' place..as the sun continues to expand the habitable zone as measured by ours will extend just past Uranus.. with plenty of possible habitable moons past Mars, and each will enjoy a habitable zone equitable to the time line of life developing on Earth. It aint so special, it's more about timing. ;)