Total Posts:58|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Emotional atheism

warrior_for_truth
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 6:13:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I once heard a former atheist admit that when he was an atheist he was deliberately looking for reasons not to believe in God. In my experience with atheists, their arguments seem to be more emotional than logical. One reason why I no longer spend that much time debating atheists is because of their lies. The lies that atheists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

On the other hand it strengthens my faith. If atheists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie? Of course, atheists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that Christians won't see through them?

I think with most atheists their beliefs are personal. They have decided they don't want God to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.

Opinions?
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 6:34:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 6:13:50 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
I once heard a former atheist admit that when he was an atheist he was deliberately looking for reasons not to believe in God. In my experience with atheists, their arguments seem to be more emotional than logical. One reason why I no longer spend that much time debating atheists is because of their lies. The lies that atheists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

On the other hand it strengthens my faith. If atheists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie? Of course, atheists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that Christians won't see through them?

I think with most atheists their beliefs are personal. They have decided they don't want God to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.

Opinions?

I'm an atheist because I know god did exist.....as volcanic activity. That is pretty compelling for me and I will most certainly never be in two minds about whether to sign up to a blood letting cult again no matter how huggie huggie it is.
warrior_for_truth
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 7:15:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 6:34:27 AM, TheFogHorn wrote:
At 8/7/2012 6:13:50 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
I once heard a former atheist admit that when he was an atheist he was deliberately looking for reasons not to believe in God. In my experience with atheists, their arguments seem to be more emotional than logical. One reason why I no longer spend that much time debating atheists is because of their lies. The lies that atheists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

On the other hand it strengthens my faith. If atheists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie? Of course, atheists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that Christians won't see through them?

I think with most atheists their beliefs are personal. They have decided they don't want God to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.

Opinions?

I'm an atheist because I know god did exist.....as volcanic activity. That is pretty compelling for me and I will most certainly never be in two minds about whether to sign up to a blood letting cult again no matter how huggie huggie it is.

If you are going to reject God's existence I think the atheist has to have a very good reason, because our existence--where we came from, what we're doing here, and where're we're going--are the big questions. If atheists are correct and religious people--mostly Christians--are living a lie, then we might as well get rid of the Bible and search elsewhere for the truth. But if the Bible is true, and I believe it is, then that changes everything, because the Bible tells us that there will come a day when the world will have to give an account to God, who will judge the world in righteousness. If this is true, atheists are going to regret their disbelief come judgment day. It's not something atheists should take lightly unless they are confident that the Bible is just a big myth.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 7:23:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I haven't met an atheist who believes that the Bible is accurate and correct...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:18:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 6:13:50 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
I once heard a former atheist admit that when he was an atheist he was deliberately looking for reasons not to believe in God. In my experience with atheists, their arguments seem to be more emotional than logical. One reason why I no longer spend that much time debating atheists is because of their lies. The lies that atheists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

On the other hand it strengthens my faith. If atheists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie? Of course, atheists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that Christians won't see through them?

I think with most atheists their beliefs are personal. They have decided they don't want God to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.

Opinions?

Do you have any examples of "emotional arguments" or "atheist lies"? It is tough to understand what you mean, when you don't give an example. There are many logical and emotional arguments for atheism. I feel emotional arguments are generally about immorality of God. Such as "god should not have killed innocent children with the 10th plague" or "if God was just, he would not judge on peoples virtues, not whether they believe". What do you think atheists lie about?
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:21:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would say of course this is true to some extent - atheists are humqn just like the rest of us and are just as error prone. I've seen it first hand in an atheist majority philosophy program (where you'd think the rationality would be overflowing). Despite all the silly rhetoric of the gnu atheists it just simply isn't the case that atheism = rationality and theism = irrationality.

On the other hand, what the op said could apply to a lot of christians as well. Such is life. :/
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:36:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 6:13:50 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
I once heard a former atheist admit that when he was an atheist he was deliberately looking for reasons not to believe in God.

I once heard a theist admit that he was deliberately looking for reasons to believe in god. I've also heard him say that even if he could not cite proof for god, and even if all of his logical arguments have been negated, he would still choose to have faith in god.

In my experience with atheists, their arguments seem to be more emotional than logical.

In my experience with theists, their arguments are more emotional than logical.

One reason why I no longer spend that much time debating atheists is because of their lies. The lies that atheists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

One reason I no longer spend that much time debating theists is because of their lies. The lies that theists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

On the other hand it strengthens my faith. If atheists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie?

On the other hand, it strengthens my resolve. I don't feel compelled to accept something just because it sounds nice and makes me feel good or like I have a false sense of understanding. If theists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie? And why would they need to rely on faith as a last resort when their evidence and/or logic fails?

Of course, atheists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that Christians won't see through them?

Of course, theists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that rational people will just accept their fluff as fact?

I think with most atheists their beliefs are personal. They have decided they don't want God to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.

I think with most theists their beliefs are personal. They have decided that they want god to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.
President of DDO
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:40:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Wow. Talk about a "holier-than-thou" attitude. I don't believe in God because there are no good reasons to. Nothing emotional about it.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:47:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
On a more serious note, I'm glad the OP was posted in the Religion section rather than the Philosophy section. It's pretty obvious that the assertions (well, opinions) made by the author are rampant and riddled with flaws and fallacies. You can expect that in the religious forum. I also think it's kind of ironic that the tone of the post is "Atheists are emotional liars and too stubborn to admit they're wrong..." implying that theists are automatically right, which is a pretty stubborn and self-righteous thing to say. The hypocrisy astounds me, but again, I've come to expect this (which is why I don't come here anymore - yay!).

Actually on topic with this thread, I'll say that I don't believe atheism is rooted in emotion. It's quite the opposite. I do believe that emotionally speaking, we all tend to want theism to be real - for an afterlife to exist, for their to be some sense of divine moral purpose, for karma to be true in some capacity (sinners go to hell, etc.). I know that for me personally, after a loved one dies is when it becomes most compelling to seek out some sort of higher power. If you look at times of conversion (from atheism to theism), you'll see that profound emotional experiences are what drives people to accept belief in god... so no, atheism is not usually rooted in emotion. Meanwhile, for some people religion is defined specifically AS an emotional experience (or relationship).

I consider myself an atheist, but I do believe in god... I just don't believe in god as it is defined by most people and/or the philosophy books, so I'm not going to confuse everybody by applying that label. I don't believe the Abrahamic god's rules for one second (it's pretty obvious that holy books have been changed, adopted and manipulated throughout history). I do believe that there are "spiritual" things we don't understand and cannot yet explain through science, and that these elements are just as important, rational and fundamental to our reality as the tangible things we HAVE come to discover or explain. I just don't know enough about it to make any kind of assertions. I am still interested, open and excited to learn and explore more through various means -- not just reading but meditating and trying to tap more into my "feelings" (intuition rather) as well as observation, historical analysis and rational thinking.
President of DDO
warrior_for_truth
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:15:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 8:18:03 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 8/7/2012 6:13:50 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
I once heard a former atheist admit that when he was an atheist he was deliberately looking for reasons not to believe in God. In my experience with atheists, their arguments seem to be more emotional than logical. One reason why I no longer spend that much time debating atheists is because of their lies. The lies that atheists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

On the other hand it strengthens my faith. If atheists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie? Of course, atheists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that Christians won't see through them?

I think with most atheists their beliefs are personal. They have decided they don't want God to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.

Opinions?

Do you have any examples of "emotional arguments" or "atheist lies"? It is tough to understand what you mean, when you don't give an example. There are many logical and emotional arguments for atheism. I feel emotional arguments are generally about immorality of God. Such as "god should not have killed innocent children with the 10th plague" or "if God was just, he would not judge on peoples virtues, not whether they believe". What do you think atheists lie about?

Okay, one example is the fact that atheists seem more readily that theists to insult you for not agreeing with them. I try very hard to debate atheists in a respectful and intelligent way, but most atheists respond in angry emotion. They accuse me of being stupid, yet they are the ones who are unable to hold an intelligent debate.

When it comes to lying, atheists will say that there is no evidence to show that the Bible is trustworthy. But when I show them the evidence they either ignore it, lie about it, or resort to name calling. They will also make claims about the Bible that are completely false, or only tell half-truths. It's as if the're not looking for truth, but are only interested in winning an argument.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:28:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Your kidding, right? If not, then I will have to assume that you were dropped on your head 50 times as a child. First of all, the BOP is on religion so the atheists don't have to present any evidence against god, all they have to do is simply recognize that there is none and rebut the "evidence" presented by theists. Second, atheists, unlike most religious people, base their decisions off of rationality and logic. They carefully weigh the evidence on both sides and make a conscious decisions that is not emotionally based, hell... If I made my religious decision in emotion, I would stay religious. It is the religious (in my experience) who often use the emotional and subjective arguments of faith, punishment, and I quote "How can something like a forest turn up on its own?" Perhaps I'm a bit overgeneralizing my experience with dumbass theists with those on this website, but to claim that ATHEISTS use emotional arguments is stupid.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
warrior_for_truth
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:33:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 10:28:02 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your kidding, right? If not, then I will have to assume that you were dropped on your head 50 times as a child. First of all, the BOP is on religion so the atheists don't have to present any evidence against god, all they have to do is simply recognize that there is none and rebut the "evidence" presented by theists. Second, atheists, unlike most religious people, base their decisions off of rationality and logic. They carefully weigh the evidence on both sides and make a conscious decisions that is not emotionally based, hell... If I made my religious decision in emotion, I would stay religious. It is the religious (in my experience) who often use the emotional and subjective arguments of faith, punishment, and I quote "How can something like a forest turn up on its own?" Perhaps I'm a bit overgeneralizing my experience with dumbass theists with those on this website, but to claim that ATHEISTS use emotional arguments is stupid.

You're a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You resorted to insults instead of responding logically and respectfully. Thanks for proving my point.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:38:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 6:13:50 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
I once heard a former atheist admit that when he was an atheist he was deliberately looking for reasons not to believe in God. In my experience with atheists, their arguments seem to be more emotional than logical. One reason why I no longer spend that much time debating atheists is because of their lies. The lies that atheists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

On the other hand it strengthens my faith. If atheists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie? Of course, atheists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that Christians won't see through them?

I think with most atheists their beliefs are personal. They have decided they don't want God to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.

Opinions?

Yes, I have an opinion. Based on this post of yours, I am of the opinion that you are so biased against atheists that any sort of constructive discussion is out of the question.

Have a blessed day!
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:38:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 10:33:14 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
At 8/7/2012 10:28:02 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your kidding, right? If not, then I will have to assume that you were dropped on your head 50 times as a child. First of all, the BOP is on religion so the atheists don't have to present any evidence against god, all they have to do is simply recognize that there is none and rebut the "evidence" presented by theists. Second, atheists, unlike most religious people, base their decisions off of rationality and logic. They carefully weigh the evidence on both sides and make a conscious decisions that is not emotionally based, hell... If I made my religious decision in emotion, I would stay religious. It is the religious (in my experience) who often use the emotional and subjective arguments of faith, punishment, and I quote "How can something like a forest turn up on its own?" Perhaps I'm a bit overgeneralizing my experience with dumbass theists with those on this website, but to claim that ATHEISTS use emotional arguments is stupid.

You're a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You resorted to insults instead of responding logically and respectfully. Thanks for proving my point.

Actually, it's a two way street. I responded logically to your arguments and insulted you, like you did in your first post- I like it better that way.

Any rebuttals?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
warrior_for_truth
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:43:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 10:38:36 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/7/2012 10:33:14 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
At 8/7/2012 10:28:02 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your kidding, right? If not, then I will have to assume that you were dropped on your head 50 times as a child. First of all, the BOP is on religion so the atheists don't have to present any evidence against god, all they have to do is simply recognize that there is none and rebut the "evidence" presented by theists. Second, atheists, unlike most religious people, base their decisions off of rationality and logic. They carefully weigh the evidence on both sides and make a conscious decisions that is not emotionally based, hell... If I made my religious decision in emotion, I would stay religious. It is the religious (in my experience) who often use the emotional and subjective arguments of faith, punishment, and I quote "How can something like a forest turn up on its own?" Perhaps I'm a bit overgeneralizing my experience with dumbass theists with those on this website, but to claim that ATHEISTS use emotional arguments is stupid.

You're a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You resorted to insults instead of responding logically and respectfully. Thanks for proving my point.

Actually, it's a two way street. I responded logically to your arguments and insulted you, like you did in your first post- I like it better that way.

Any rebuttals?

All I can say is that you've proven my point. I thank you :)
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:50:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 10:43:34 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
At 8/7/2012 10:38:36 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/7/2012 10:33:14 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
At 8/7/2012 10:28:02 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Your kidding, right? If not, then I will have to assume that you were dropped on your head 50 times as a child. First of all, the BOP is on religion so the atheists don't have to present any evidence against god, all they have to do is simply recognize that there is none and rebut the "evidence" presented by theists. Second, atheists, unlike most religious people, base their decisions off of rationality and logic. They carefully weigh the evidence on both sides and make a conscious decisions that is not emotionally based, hell... If I made my religious decision in emotion, I would stay religious. It is the religious (in my experience) who often use the emotional and subjective arguments of faith, punishment, and I quote "How can something like a forest turn up on its own?" Perhaps I'm a bit overgeneralizing my experience with dumbass theists with those on this website, but to claim that ATHEISTS use emotional arguments is stupid.

You're a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You resorted to insults instead of responding logically and respectfully. Thanks for proving my point.

Actually, it's a two way street. I responded logically to your arguments and insulted you, like you did in your first post- I like it better that way.

Any rebuttals?

All I can say is that you've proven my point. I thank you :)

I see. Ad hominems 'till the day ends but no arguments. Toodles.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 11:09:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago

Okay, one example is the fact that atheists seem more readily that theists to insult you for not agreeing with them. I try very hard to debate atheists in a respectful and intelligent way, but most atheists respond in angry emotion. They accuse me of being stupid, yet they are the ones who are unable to hold an intelligent debate.

When it comes to lying, atheists will say that there is no evidence to show that the Bible is trustworthy. But when I show them the evidence they either ignore it, lie about it, or resort to name calling. They will also make claims about the Bible that are completely false, or only tell half-truths. It's as if the're not looking for truth, but are only interested in winning an argument.

There are intolerant people on both sides. However, on balance, I would say the most extreme intolerant theist is more intolerant than the most extreme intolerant atheist. I highly doubt atheists respond in the way you claim. If they do, i would say your sample size is too small to categorize a group of people.

Also, if atheists do get angry perhaps you offended them. Though, it is nice when people are not offended easily, it is good to keep in mind what atheists get offended by. It seems theists and atheists get offended by different things. So you know, in general, atheist get offended by religious wars, jihads, Crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, murdering of albinos, forcing girls into underage marriages, male and female genital mutilations, stoning, pederasty, homophobia and rejection of science
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 11:14:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 10:15:49 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
At 8/7/2012 8:18:03 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 8/7/2012 6:13:50 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
I once heard a former atheist admit that when he was an atheist he was deliberately looking for reasons not to believe in God. In my experience with atheists, their arguments seem to be more emotional than logical. One reason why I no longer spend that much time debating atheists is because of their lies. The lies that atheists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

On the other hand it strengthens my faith. If atheists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie? Of course, atheists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that Christians won't see through them?

I think with most atheists their beliefs are personal. They have decided they don't want God to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.

Opinions?

Do you have any examples of "emotional arguments" or "atheist lies"? It is tough to understand what you mean, when you don't give an example. There are many logical and emotional arguments for atheism. I feel emotional arguments are generally about immorality of God. Such as "god should not have killed innocent children with the 10th plague" or "if God was just, he would not judge on peoples virtues, not whether they believe". What do you think atheists lie about?

Okay, one example is the fact that atheists seem more readily that theists to insult you for not agreeing with them. I try very hard to debate atheists in a respectful and intelligent way, but most atheists respond in angry emotion. They accuse me of being stupid, yet they are the ones who are unable to hold an intelligent debate.

When it comes to lying, atheists will say that there is no evidence to show that the Bible is trustworthy. But when I show them the evidence they either ignore it, lie about it, or resort to name calling. They will also make claims about the Bible that are completely false, or only tell half-truths. It's as if the're not looking for truth, but are only interested in winning an argument.

You do realize, that yours are the most aggressive and insulting threads in the religion section right now, don't you? You're making some seriously incoherent accusations while being guilty of them.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
warrior_for_truth
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 12:00:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 11:09:05 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

Okay, one example is the fact that atheists seem more readily that theists to insult you for not agreeing with them. I try very hard to debate atheists in a respectful and intelligent way, but most atheists respond in angry emotion. They accuse me of being stupid, yet they are the ones who are unable to hold an intelligent debate.

When it comes to lying, atheists will say that there is no evidence to show that the Bible is trustworthy. But when I show them the evidence they either ignore it, lie about it, or resort to name calling. They will also make claims about the Bible that are completely false, or only tell half-truths. It's as if the're not looking for truth, but are only interested in winning an argument.

There are intolerant people on both sides. However, on balance, I would say the most extreme intolerant theist is more intolerant than the most extreme intolerant atheist. I highly doubt atheists respond in the way you claim. If they do, i would say your sample size is too small to categorize a group of people.

Also, if atheists do get angry perhaps you offended them. Though, it is nice when people are not offended easily, it is good to keep in mind what atheists get offended by. It seems theists and atheists get offended by different things. So you know, in general, atheist get offended by religious wars, jihads, Crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, murdering of albinos, forcing girls into underage marriages, male and female genital mutilations, stoning, pederasty, homophobia and rejection of science

If atheists are so upset by religion, they should spend more time attacking Islam, but instead they attack the religion that tells us to love everyone--even our enemies. It's very rare I see an atheist spending his time attacking Islam or the Koran. Atheists only seem to care about attacking Christianity and the Bible, and their reasons for doing so are very poor and unrealistic. I also get upset at what atheists have done in the past, like Stalin, but I don't use the past to attack atheists in our present time.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 12:07:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 12:00:21 PM, warrior_for_truth wrote:

If atheists are so upset by religion, they should spend more time attacking Islam, but instead they attack the religion that tells us to love everyone--even our enemies. It's very rare I see an atheist spending his time attacking Islam or the Koran. Atheists only seem to care about attacking Christianity and the Bible, and their reasons for doing so are very poor and unrealistic. I also get upset at what atheists have done in the past, like Stalin, but I don't use the past to attack atheists in our present time.

Atheists renounce all religions, but you're right. Christianity is prime target,...but what you don't seem to understand is that there's a good reason for that.

Christianity has motivated many bloodbaths and wars in history,...in that respect, it is equal to Islam. The difference is that Christianity is a dominating and popular religion the evils of which often go unchallenged. People who persecute gays reference the Bible. People who want to bomb other countries reference the Bible. People who want to invade other countries and destroy reference the Bible. God was our justification for annihilating the Native Americans in course of 2 centuries. So please open your eyes and understand the dilemma we're faced with.

Islam has its just share of reprobation....Christian does not.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 12:18:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 12:00:21 PM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
At 8/7/2012 11:09:05 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

Okay, one example is the fact that atheists seem more readily that theists to insult you for not agreeing with them. I try very hard to debate atheists in a respectful and intelligent way, but most atheists respond in angry emotion. They accuse me of being stupid, yet they are the ones who are unable to hold an intelligent debate.

When it comes to lying, atheists will say that there is no evidence to show that the Bible is trustworthy. But when I show them the evidence they either ignore it, lie about it, or resort to name calling. They will also make claims about the Bible that are completely false, or only tell half-truths. It's as if the're not looking for truth, but are only interested in winning an argument.

There are intolerant people on both sides. However, on balance, I would say the most extreme intolerant theist is more intolerant than the most extreme intolerant atheist. I highly doubt atheists respond in the way you claim. If they do, i would say your sample size is too small to categorize a group of people.

Also, if atheists do get angry perhaps you offended them. Though, it is nice when people are not offended easily, it is good to keep in mind what atheists get offended by. It seems theists and atheists get offended by different things. So you know, in general, atheist get offended by religious wars, jihads, Crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, murdering of albinos, forcing girls into underage marriages, male and female genital mutilations, stoning, pederasty, homophobia and rejection of science

If atheists are so upset by religion, they should spend more time attacking Islam, but instead they attack the religion that tells us to love everyone--even our enemies.

To be fair, often times the best argument against christianity is christians. There's quite a lot of them consistently fail to (as we all do sometimes) engage in loving behavior and fail to adopt loving attitudes. It's that stark hypocrisy and inconsistency that can motivate the frequent attacks on christianity. That and christianity tends to be the most dominant religion in western culture making it the most familiar and prominent target.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 12:44:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 12:00:21 PM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
At 8/7/2012 11:09:05 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

Okay, one example is the fact that atheists seem more readily that theists to insult you for not agreeing with them. I try very hard to debate atheists in a respectful and intelligent way, but most atheists respond in angry emotion. They accuse me of being stupid, yet they are the ones who are unable to hold an intelligent debate.

When it comes to lying, atheists will say that there is no evidence to show that the Bible is trustworthy. But when I show them the evidence they either ignore it, lie about it, or resort to name calling. They will also make claims about the Bible that are completely false, or only tell half-truths. It's as if the're not looking for truth, but are only interested in winning an argument.

There are intolerant people on both sides. However, on balance, I would say the most extreme intolerant theist is more intolerant than the most extreme intolerant atheist. I highly doubt atheists respond in the way you claim. If they do, i would say your sample size is too small to categorize a group of people.

Also, if atheists do get angry perhaps you offended them. Though, it is nice when people are not offended easily, it is good to keep in mind what atheists get offended by. It seems theists and atheists get offended by different things. So you know, in general, atheist get offended by religious wars, jihads, Crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, murdering of albinos, forcing girls into underage marriages, male and female genital mutilations, stoning, pederasty, homophobia and rejection of science

If atheists are so upset by religion, they should spend more time attacking Islam, but instead they attack the religion that tells us to love everyone--even our enemies. It's very rare I see an atheist spending his time attacking Islam or the Koran. Atheists only seem to care about attacking Christianity and the Bible, and their reasons for doing so are very poor and unrealistic. I also get upset at what atheists have done in the past, like Stalin, but I don't use the past to attack atheists in our present time.

It may seem like atheists only like to pick on Christianity, but there's an obvious reason why. You live in the UK, which like the USA, is predominantly Christian. So it only makes sense that British and American atheists would criticize the religion that is most prevalent in their home country, because it affects them on a daily basis. Islam and Judaism are targets of harsh criticism as well, you just don't see it because it's being leveled at them by citizens of countries that adhere to those religions. Also, in the case of Islamic countries, atheists may be afraid to speak out for fear of being arrested or executed. Just a relatively short time ago atheists in Christian countries felt the same way, but recently because of spreading tolerance for opposing view points, atheists are becoming much more vocal.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 1:15:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 12:07:58 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/7/2012 12:00:21 PM, warrior_for_truth wrote:

If atheists are so upset by religion, they should spend more time attacking Islam, but instead they attack the religion that tells us to love everyone--even our enemies. It's very rare I see an atheist spending his time attacking Islam or the Koran. Atheists only seem to care about attacking Christianity and the Bible, and their reasons for doing so are very poor and unrealistic. I also get upset at what atheists have done in the past, like Stalin, but I don't use the past to attack atheists in our present time.

Atheists renounce all religions, but you're right. Christianity is prime target,...but what you don't seem to understand is that there's a good reason for that.

Christianity has motivated many bloodbaths and wars in history,...in that respect, it is equal to Islam. The difference is that Christianity is a dominating and popular religion the evils of which often go unchallenged. People who persecute gays reference the Bible. People who want to bomb other countries reference the Bible. People who want to invade other countries and destroy reference the Bible. God was our justification for annihilating the Native Americans in course of 2 centuries. So please open your eyes and understand the dilemma we're faced with.

Islam has its just share of reprobation....Christian does not.


Wow, you're a moron. You condemn entire groups of people (billions of people), and label them all with things that a very small few even knew about, let a lone participated in. If you want a true account of history, and wish to compare 'bloodbaths', then you need to get a clear picture.

Since atheist are pretty much pointless aimless individuals, they find themselves in a convenient position of evasion from blame. They aren't a true group of people who can be identified in history, because, like cowards they hid and did nothing for anyone; they are very few in numbers (especially throughout the maority of our history), and when they got one leader (Stalin) he massacred 43,000,000 and his soviet followers a combine total of 62,000,000. hmm.. lets compare a few of the Christian 'bloodbaths'

Crusades - 200,000

Native American Wars - No one really knows, but we'll say 1,000,000

Hitler(not a Christians by I'm sure you think he was) - 6-11,000,000

1 Atheist = 3 of the most horrific act commited in the name of Christianity, or by someone who at some point, claimed to be a Christian.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 1:20:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 1:15:44 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

Wow, you're a moron. You condemn entire groups of people (billions of people), and label them all with things that a very small few even knew about, let a lone participated in. If you want a true account of history, and wish to compare 'bloodbaths', then you need to get a clear picture.

Since atheist are pretty much pointless aimless individuals, they find themselves in a convenient position of evasion from blame. They aren't a true group of people who can be identified in history, because, like cowards they hid and did nothing for anyone; they are very few in numbers (especially throughout the maority of our history), and when they got one leader (Stalin) he massacred 43,000,000 and his soviet followers a combine total of 62,000,000. hmm.. lets compare a few of the Christian 'bloodbaths'

Crusades - 200,000

Native American Wars - No one really knows, but we'll say 1,000,000

Hitler(not a Christians by I'm sure you think he was) - 6-11,000,000

1 Atheist = 3 of the most horrific act commited in the name of Christianity, or by someone who at some point, claimed to be a Christian.

You're an incredibly rude, impulsive idiot, and not worth arguing with. I'll just post this video, so you can't say that you weren't refuted.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 1:23:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago

Okay, one example is the fact that atheists seem more readily that theists to insult you for not agreeing with them. I try very hard to debate atheists in a respectful and intelligent way, but most atheists respond in angry emotion. They accuse me of being stupid, yet they are the ones who are unable to hold an intelligent debate.

"Wow, you're a moron. You condemn entire groups of people (billions of people), and label them all with things that a very small few even knew about, let a lone participated in. If you want a true account of history, and wish to compare 'bloodbaths', then you need to get a clear picture."

"Since atheist are pretty much pointless aimless individuals, they find themselves in a convenient position of evasion from blame. They aren't a true group of people who can be identified in history, because, like cowards they hid and did nothing for anyone; they are very few in numbers (especially throughout the maority of our history), and when they got one leader (Stalin) he massacred 43,000,000 and his soviet followers a combine total of 62,000,000. hmm.. lets compare a few of the Christian 'bloodbaths'"

You see. For every name calling atheist, there is a name calling theist. I believe this post severely contradicts OPs point.
caveat
Posts: 2,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 1:34:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 1:15:44 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 8/7/2012 12:07:58 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/7/2012 12:00:21 PM, warrior_for_truth wrote:

If atheists are so upset by religion, they should spend more time attacking Islam, but instead they attack the religion that tells us to love everyone--even our enemies. It's very rare I see an atheist spending his time attacking Islam or the Koran. Atheists only seem to care about attacking Christianity and the Bible, and their reasons for doing so are very poor and unrealistic. I also get upset at what atheists have done in the past, like Stalin, but I don't use the past to attack atheists in our present time.

Atheists renounce all religions, but you're right. Christianity is prime target,...but what you don't seem to understand is that there's a good reason for that.

Christianity has motivated many bloodbaths and wars in history,...in that respect, it is equal to Islam. The difference is that Christianity is a dominating and popular religion the evils of which often go unchallenged. People who persecute gays reference the Bible. People who want to bomb other countries reference the Bible. People who want to invade other countries and destroy reference the Bible. God was our justification for annihilating the Native Americans in course of 2 centuries. So please open your eyes and understand the dilemma we're faced with.

Islam has its just share of reprobation....Christian does not.


Wow, you're a moron. You condemn entire groups of people (billions of people), and label them all with things that a very small few even knew about, let a lone participated in. If you want a true account of history, and wish to compare 'bloodbaths', then you need to get a clear picture.

Since atheist are pretty much pointless aimless individuals, they find themselves in a convenient position of evasion from blame. They aren't a true group of people who can be identified in history, because, like cowards they hid and did nothing for anyone; they are very few in numbers (especially throughout the maority of our history), and when they got one leader (Stalin) he massacred 43,000,000 and his soviet followers a combine total of 62,000,000. hmm.. lets compare a few of the Christian 'bloodbaths'

Crusades - 200,000

Native American Wars - No one really knows, but we'll say 1,000,000

Hitler(not a Christians by I'm sure you think he was) - 6-11,000,000

1 Atheist = 3 of the most horrific act commited in the name of Christianity, or by someone who at some point, claimed to be a Christian.

Do you realize how many paper towel rolls I went through to wipe up the sheer volume of hypocrisy that you just poured through my screen from your post?
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
TheFogHorn
Posts: 183
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 2:05:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 7:15:56 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
At 8/7/2012 6:34:27 AM, TheFogHorn wrote:
At 8/7/2012 6:13:50 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
I once heard a former atheist admit that when he was an atheist he was deliberately looking for reasons not to believe in God. In my experience with atheists, their arguments seem to be more emotional than logical. One reason why I no longer spend that much time debating atheists is because of their lies. The lies that atheists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

On the other hand it strengthens my faith. If atheists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie? Of course, atheists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that Christians won't see through them?

I think with most atheists their beliefs are personal. They have decided they don't want God to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.

Opinions?

I'm an atheist because I know god did exist.....as volcanic activity. That is pretty compelling for me and I will most certainly never be in two minds about whether to sign up to a blood letting cult again no matter how huggie huggie it is.

If you are going to reject God's existence I think the atheist has to have a very good reason, because our existence--where we came from, what we're doing here, and where're we're going--are the big questions. If atheists are correct and religious people--mostly Christians--are living a lie, then we might as well get rid of the Bible and search elsewhere for the truth. But if the Bible is true, and I believe it is, then that changes everything, because the Bible tells us that there will come a day when the world will have to give an account to God, who will judge the world in righteousness. If this is true, atheists are going to regret their disbelief come judgment day. It's not something atheists should take lightly unless they are confident that the Bible is just a big myth.

Did you actually read my comment or did you just roll out the speech?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 2:58:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 6:13:50 AM, warrior_for_truth wrote:
I once heard a former atheist admit that when he was an atheist he was deliberately looking for reasons not to believe in God. In my experience with atheists, their arguments seem to be more emotional than logical. One reason why I no longer spend that much time debating atheists is because of their lies. The lies that atheists present in order to win an argument is very sad and frustrating.

On the other hand it strengthens my faith. If atheists were on the side of truth, why would they need to lie? Of course, atheists will deny it through their teeth, but in most cases it is so obvious that they are lying. Do they think that Christians won't see through them?

I think with most atheists their beliefs are personal. They have decided they don't want God to exist, and no matter what anybody says, their mind is made up.

Opinions?

The Fool: Non of this makes any sense. If and athiest thought is made sense they would just believe. There is ZERO motivation to not want an Actual All Powerfull Protector. Nobody wants to die. We would all love to have all the answers to everything in one mysterious, unorganized, manipluted, reintrepated, Goverment selection of piecemeal mythologies incorperated into one book in the first century. And this is the True Original Greek version. The western version does appear for hundreds of year after, with a completly maniplulated, revised or rather Reselected Bible or western Christainity.

Everybody would like things to be that easy to not have to put effort in figuring out the world . But simply OBAY and everything is OKAY!

The difference is the COURAGE. To not have to hide under blanket of illusion. If anybody actually saw God for real we would believe it. It would be impossible not too. But our critiria for knowledge is higher then acceptence of mythology. We know damn well the sun is bright whether we accept it or not. The fact that you even had to accept something means YOU HAVE BEEN FOOLED! If acceptence, faith, or divine revalation were types of knowledg , then faith of in any claim of any divine revalation is knowledge. That is, there would be no demarcation factor of what the word 'knowledge' means. But as rational beings we want Rationally JUSTIFIED BELIEFS. That can be demaracated from TRUE and False claim.

The Fool On the Hill.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 3:00:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
HITLER WAS NOT A FUCKING ATHEIST! He was a Roman Catholic and the Nazi Army constantly had religious slogans on their uniform.

Furthermore, even if he was an atheist (he wasn't), that is completely irrelevant because his acts were not motivated by atheism, whereas religious acts are motivated by religion.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."