Jump to topic:

Adam had a belly button.....

NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:29:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
In Michaelangelos picture where God and Adam are kinda touching fingers or something, Adam has a belly button, which he shouldn't have had because he was created instead of being born....
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:37:11 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:32:25 PM, mongeese wrote:
So either God created Adam with a belly button anyways, or the artist was wrong. Either way, so?

So Its one or the other? By the way your talking, it appears you believe that Michaelangelo was there and painted what he saw....funny.

And theres no point to my post.....I just found it funny.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:40:32 PM
Subliminal message much? They did know of the origin of the belly button at that time.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:42:49 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:40:32 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Subliminal message much? They did know of the origin of the belly button at that time.

And how exactly would that work as a subliminal message? I have put it down to a mistake.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:44:15 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:42:49 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

And how exactly would that work as a subliminal message? I have put it down to a mistake.

Probably, but then again.......

The Michaelangelo Code. If you excuse me, I'm going to make millions while severely provoking religions. My favourites past-times lumped into one :P.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 1:48:52 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:44:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/5/2009 1:42:49 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

Probably, but then again.......

The Michaelangelo Code. If you excuse me, I'm going to make millions while severely provoking religions. My favourites past-times lumped into one :P.

Well good luck with that...
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:08:35 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:29:12 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:
In Michaelangelos picture where God and Adam are kinda touching fingers or something, Adam has a belly button, which he shouldn't have had because he was created instead of being born....

Good point, and one I've never heard before.. Eve would not have had one either.

Did you know that the rib bone is the only bone that grows back from nothing?
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:22:07 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:13:20 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:
God supposedly took a rib bone from Adam to make Eve didn't he?

RIGHT. So the whole rib growing back adds weight to what I already KNOW to be true: The Biblical account.
The Cross.. the Cross.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:24:52 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:22:07 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

RIGHT. So the whole rib growing back adds weight to what I already KNOW to be true: The Biblical account.

Or some crafty man wrote that part into the bible as he already knew that the rib bone grows back and knew it would look like evidence to the simple minded....
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:35:27 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:24:52 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

Or some crafty man wrote that part into the bible as he already knew that the rib bone grows back and knew it would look like evidence to the simple minded....

There's ALWAYS another explanation.. But do you want the Truth? Whatever it is? whatever it costs you? THAT'S where you must begin.
Jesus Christ spoke directly to me 3 years ago. He is real.
Be open to that possibility.
The Cross.. the Cross.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:37:48 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:35:27 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

There's ALWAYS another explanation.. But do you want the Truth? Whatever it is? whatever it costs you? THAT'S where you must begin.

Oh I'm not saying thats its impossible, just highly improbable..

What exactly did Jesus say to you?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:49:44 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:37:48 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

Considering Christ's claims, I would say it is very important you be 100% sure on this matter. If He is who He says He is, can there be anything more important?

It was in answer to a mental 'conundrum' I was carrying around with me and He said, simply: " I AM The Truth, he is the lie. "
As He said it, I 'heard' eternity.. rejoicing etc..
The Cross.. the Cross.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:52:39 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:49:44 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Considering Christ's claims, I would say it is very important you be 100% sure on this matter. If He is who He says He is, can there be anything more important?

It was in answer to a mental 'conundrum' I was carrying around with me and He said, simply: " I AM The Truth, he is the lie. "

I'd say your just a lonely man looking for a bit of attention.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 2:57:11 PM
At 9/5/2009 2:52:39 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:
At 9/5/2009 2:49:44 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:

I'd say your just a lonely man looking for a bit of attention.

The two are not mutally exclusive.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 3:55:18 PM
At 9/5/2009 1:29:12 PM, NotPurpleHaze wrote:

That's an interesting observation, but it should be noted that if they were void of belly buttons, they would look totally un-Human, and would probably have an effect that the artist didn't want it to have.

And if we are to take it literally, then we must put aside all logic and reasoning, and so therefore reasoning (such as "Adam shouldn't have had a belly button because he wasn't born") is immaterial.
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 12:33:16 AM
A very old question and one that inspired a full line of thought on nature. The hour is late so I cannot post the material, but I will try to do so tomorrow. Yes, I have a book addressing the subject in cursory form, but the original book is hard to come by (ended the sentence in a preposition, forgive me). I will post what I have when I can ... hopefully tomorrow, but with football season in full force, Knoxville is a busy, busy place for me right now. The whole story is funny to some degree.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 5:28:27 AM
At 9/6/2009 12:33:16 AM, sherlockmethod wrote:
A very old question and one that inspired a full line of thought on nature. The hour is late so I cannot post the material, but I will try to do so tomorrow. Yes, I have a book addressing the subject in cursory form, but the original book is hard to come by (ended the sentence in a preposition, forgive me). I will post what I have when I can ... hopefully tomorrow, but with football season in full force, Knoxville is a busy, busy place for me right now. The whole story is funny to some degree.

I look forward to it.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 10:11:51 AM

Uhm. It's pretty obvious.
So prove me wrong, then.
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 10:47:44 AM
The Omphalos hypothesis is not a new one. In 1857, Philip Henry Gosse wrote a book on the subject entitled, Omphalos; the word, in Greek, means, "naval". The hypothesis consists of the usual arguments given in creation science concerning the evident history of the universe. The crux of the idea is that God created all, but some of creation was done "on the way". Starlight was already on earth, streams were running, mountains formed, and Adam and Eve were adults. The book did not go over very well as it gave the impression of a deceitful God and the biggest problem is such a hypothesis allows for all answers. In other words, God could have created the universe 5 minutes ago and implanted all the memories we have along with knowledge, etc. To date, the creationists cannot come up with a solid answer concerning the belly button so we can't get to the most important question which is whether Adam had an "innie" or an "outtie" maybe he had an "inbetwennie". Omphalos is now used for convenience's sake in creation debates but most theologians reject the hypothesis, and science does not deal with it as the idea is not falsifiable.

This is a question that assumes Adam and Eve of the Bible existed. The problem then becomes why would God place a naval on a person just to give the impression of a birth? Who was he trying to convince? The Omphalus student is then stuck with a deceitful God if he chooses the belly button, a God with a belly button as Adam was made in God's image (for the literalists, at least) or Adam and Eve did not have a belly button as it was not necessary. The latter seems the best answer if these are the only two options. The best answer is Adam and Eve, as depicted in the Bible, simply did not exist as the first man and women. Maintaining this assumption gives rise to such silly problems as the belly button and starlight "on the way". My answer: No, neither had a belly button as neither existed in the form depicted by the Bible.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 10:53:26 AM

No, but there are over 9000 of equal importance if THEY are who they say they are.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 3:14:49 PM
At 9/6/2009 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

No, but there are over 9000 of equal importance if THEY are who they say they are.

Exactly, at those odds it's either take your pick or don't.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 9:54:46 PM
Or God just created them already with belly buttons, which would make sense.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 10:59:53 PM
At 9/6/2009 9:54:46 PM, mongoose wrote:
Or God just created them already with belly buttons, which would make sense.

How does that make sense? I just posted on the problems with this position.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 8:34:58 AM
At 9/6/2009 10:53:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

But this statement shows you have ALREADY chosen.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 8:40:41 AM
I've scanned through this topic and I didn't see an answer to the obvious question:

Where in the bible did it say that Adam had a belly button o.O? We're just talking about the painting.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 9:02:12 AM
At 9/7/2009 8:40:41 AM, Kleptin wrote:
I've scanned through this topic and I didn't see an answer to the obvious question:

Where in the bible did it say that Adam had a belly button o.O? We're just talking about the painting.

*sigh* Well, Kleptin.. when a Mummy and a Daddy get married and the stork drops a baby down the chimney it always has a belly button, where it was held in the storks beak.
But as there is NO mention of storks in Genesis we were all assuming no belly button.
The Cross.. the Cross.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 9:09:17 AM
At 9/7/2009 8:40:41 AM, Kleptin wrote:

We are all created in Gods image so clearly God has a belly buttons, and therefore also Adam.

(Ok, just kidding).
So prove me wrong, then.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 9:11:32 AM
Haha, in that case the argument is moot. If Genesis specifically stated that Adam had a bellybutton, then it would make for a nice controversy.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.