Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

The Shroud

ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 6:02:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Shroud of Turin is a centuries old linen cloth that bears the image of a crucified man. A man that millions believe to be Jesus of Nazareth. Is it really the cloth that wrapped his crucified body, or is it simply a medieval forgery, a hoax perpetrated by some clever artist? Modern science has completed hundreds of thousands of hours of detailed study and intense research on the Shroud. It is, in fact, the single most studied artifact in human history, and we know more about it today than we ever have before. And yet, the controversy still rages.
The two major questions surrounding the Shroud of Turin.
1) Are we anywhere closer to understanding the way it was made than we were 30 years ago?

2) Is the Shroud becoming more mysterious or less mysterious with the invention of new technology(ies) to examine it?

1) We can now tell you what the Shroud is not (not a painting, not a scorch, not a photograph) but we cannot tell you a mechanism that can create an image with these specific chemical and physical properties. There are several viable theories but these have yet to be proven scientifically. 2) This is somewhat subjective but I believe it is just as mysterious today as it was when we first examined it in 1978. Of course, we have much better technology today than we had 35 years ago and I am sure we could learn more if the latest technology could be applied. We all hope that will be permitted at some point in the future.
Anyone with any insight or questions just post!
http://shroud.com...
TheAsylum
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 4:20:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/13/2012 11:34:10 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I didnt think no one had anything to say negatively.

The Fool: It turned out to be False. It was not even close.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 11:41:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/14/2012 4:20:27 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 8/13/2012 11:34:10 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
I didnt think no one had anything to say negatively.

The Fool: It turned out to be False. It was not even close.

Please prove it.....Since science hasnt.
TheAsylum
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:33:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Shroud has been carbon dated to the Dark Ages, which is more than 1,000 years past the time of Christ.

Experiment: Cover your entire face in red paint, then wrap a white towel over your face (in concert with burial practices of 1st Century Jews). Then pull the towel off to confirm what I'm about to tell you.

The Shroud is a 2-dimensional image, not a 3-dimensional image. If this was legitmate, the entire face (especially by the cheeks and temple) would be visible. This would distort the image. Instead, what you see is only the front of the face, as if looking at a 2-dimensional painting. Same thing with the body.

More importantly, the "blood" stained image is not blood at all, as it turns out.

It's an obvious hoax.

Thank you modern science.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:28:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/14/2012 2:33:48 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The Shroud has been carbon dated to the Dark Ages, which is more than 1,000 years past the time of Christ.

Experiment: Cover your entire face in red paint, then wrap a white towel over your face (in concert with burial practices of 1st Century Jews). Then pull the towel off to confirm what I'm about to tell you.

The Shroud is a 2-dimensional image, not a 3-dimensional image. If this was legitmate, the entire face (especially by the cheeks and temple) would be visible. This would distort the image. Instead, what you see is only the front of the face, as if looking at a 2-dimensional painting. Same thing with the body.

More importantly, the "blood" stained image is not blood at all, as it turns out.

It's an obvious hoax.

Thank you modern science.

NOTICE NO LINKS OR PROOF JUST OPINION AND WORDS FROM ABOVE WHICH AMOUNT TO USELESS INFO.
1. Science has tested the blood and in fact it is human, IDK where you get your info.
2. Digitally the image is in 3D and that technology was not available in BC.
3. Carbon dating...lol...you cant be serious with all the faults of Carbon dating that we know. To add to that the piece that was tested was a section that was resown in the middle ages and the scientist knew that, shows how much truth they wanted you to know.

https://www.facebook.com...
http://shroud.com...
TheAsylum
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:42:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/2/2013 3:55:21 AM, Pennington wrote:
They tested this recently or are about too.

They also tested it years ago, and it came out as being from the 1200's if I remember correctly.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2013 11:59:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/2/2013 11:42:24 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/2/2013 3:55:21 AM, Pennington wrote:
They tested this recently or are about too.

They also tested it years ago, and it came out as being from the 1200's if I remember correctly.

It was at first in the 70's. But has been shown not from the 1200's since. It has been researched some since that Carbon testing. That carbon test was shown to have been on a piece that had been added during the 12th century. It has been repaired on the edges throughout its history.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...