Jump to topic:

Attitudes of Young Adults Towards Religion

chrishepburn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 10:09:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Statistically, almost every denomination within Christianity has been in decline for the better part of 20 years. The people most absent are young adults and families with young children (18 to age 35 or 40). Many of them grew up in church but, as adults, have made a conscience decision to disengage. Since many young adults have lost their respect for organized religion. What are your opinions about church, in general, and why do you not choose to participate?

Discussion is open to all views (LGBT, atheist, etc.).
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 10:25:48 PM
At 8/11/2012 10:09:46 PM, chrishepburn wrote:
Statistically, almost every denomination within Christianity has been in decline for the better part of 20 years. The people most absent are young adults and families with young children (18 to age 35 or 40). Many of them grew up in church but, as adults, have made a conscience decision to disengage. Since many young adults have lost their respect for organized religion. What are your opinions about church, in general, and why do you not choose to participate?

I think much of the church's decline has been its own fault. The pedophilia scandals blighted the world's opinion of the catholic church, and the lasting memory is irreparable. I think most young adults resent being forced to attend church (I know I did), and therefore have no interest in it. Christian fundamentalism seemed popular for a time, but it's days of vogue have -thankfully- begun to wane, but much of the fundamentalist inflexibility that is characteristic of many protestant denominations seems to remain. Categorical unwillingness to adopt to changing times in many ways is to blame, but I think in a lot of ways as well the church has discredited itself, because where it HAS adapted, it has done so at the expense of religious legitimacy.

Warning: This next part will be controversial.

"Contemporary" services, I think, are patently offensive to the legitimacy of Christianity. Monotonous, repetitive praise choruses offend my sensibility as much as Christian rock music. I can't stand it. Mass-marketed church services that trade on the emotional manipulativeness of congregants are just as offensive. Joel Osteen, for example, makes my skin crawl. And then there are the prophets of hellfire and damnation. There is a time and place, but not every service need be rife with elaborate plagiarisms of Dante's Inferno.

Conversely, the function of the church is societally waning. It was once the case that the primary educators, social workers, medical providers, linguists, and even historians were monks, nuns and church officials. Now, government does most of those things. As such, there is less of a demand for religiosity.
Tsar of DDO
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 11:15:49 PM
I am 21. I assume that most people my age are agnostic or atheists. If people do go to church, I assume it is for family tradition. I am genuinely surprised when people my age actually believe in a religion. I think this is because churches no longer seem to represent "goodness". The church focuses too much on arbitrary Bible laws like, it is bad too be gay, it is bad to believe in evolution/science, that only believers get heaven. The values of the church are not up to the standard set my modern society. I think that young people are more tolerant, than the church. I think people see religion more as spreading hate as opposed to love.

I don't really understand what people get out of church. I go once a year on Christmas Eve, with my family. I don't mind going once a year on Christmas Eve. But don't really understand why people would actually go every week?
SeekingKnowledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 5:39:35 AM

Its not really about losing respect for organized religion its about what is being taught in these religions and the actual purpose for it. I'm not specifically talking about any one religion but i believe that religion is a form of segregation and why i say this is because, all religions are about believing in a powerful person or source but what makes them different is all religions have different beliefs e.g muslim women are meant to wear hijabs, christians are meant to wear skirts below there knee etc, now because of these different beliefs and individuals being so caught up in the way they are taught or the way they know leaving no space for questioning or accepting opinion of others, people tend to shun other religions and disassociate themselves from individuals that are a specific religion which is why i say religion is a form of segregation. Without this other beliefs being so dominant and being looked on as 'Wrong' if its not done it will all boil down to everyone believing in this higher source whether you call him God, Allah, Jesus, The Universe, Jah etc there wouldn't be any segregation in that sense.

Just because somebody doesn't go to a place of worship does not mean they don't believe in God, the bottom line of a religion is believing and having faith in a higher being than ourselves and myself along with other people don't feel that being part of a religion or even going to a place or worship will make us have more belief or more faith in this higher being.

What does a place of worship teach you that you cannot learn in a different environment? What presence is in a place of worship that is not with you every single day? Why does dressing a certain way matter? Why is it ok for people to be pressured into being a specific religion?

What do you think of my opinion???
SeekingKnowledge
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:33:08 AM

The point of religion, all religion, is to proclaim a story. For Christianity, that story would be the gospels, biblical teachings, etc. For other religions, it will be something completely different. The problem is, entities such as the Catholic Church, are not proclaiming the story as much as they are the story. Look at the sex scandal that is raging through the Catholic Church. Extremely disgusting events have obscured it's purpose and meaning, to proclaim a story. The more publicity a religion gets, the less of a religion it becomes.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 7:48:12 AM

I am Christian and fully believe in my faith. I do not go to church on any regular basis. I am not a ordinary Christian. I grasp like my atheist counterparts the idea of morality. I choose though to read and study the Bible. I choose to put my entire faith in that because it is that which is most real to me. I have really never needed any church or preacher to teach me about God because I have learned it own my own through prayer and belief. That is what it takes to understand and feel the presence of God, BELIEF without question or skepticism. I am 33 and have been to prison 3 times. I have had hard ships in my life that I inflicted upon myself. Though I was meant to go through those trials because even though I am stupid and have made many mistakes God has always been there. I have lead people to God in prison and that is how I know, though I done things to get there, I did the greatest thing you can ever do, which is, lead someone to Jesus. I do not follow religion and never have. I have heard great preachers an been to church's that I could feel the Holy Ghost. When I feel the Holy Ghost it jerks tears- that's my feeling- I feel ashamed and overwhelmed with love and feeling the love that was given for me. Kinda like those feelings you get in movies or seeing things that touch you. Though I do not follow religion I recognize those that do what they preach and preach from the Bible, which is the only source I need for truth. No other book, writing or scriptures compare to the Bible.
TheAsylum
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 5:52:38 PM
At 8/11/2012 11:15:49 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
I am 21. I assume that most people my age are agnostic or atheists. If people do go to church, I assume it is for family tradition. I am genuinely surprised when people my age actually believe in a religion. I think this is because churches no longer seem to represent "goodness". The church focuses too much on arbitrary Bible laws like, it is bad too be gay, it is bad to believe in evolution/science, that only believers get heaven. The values of the church are not up to the standard set my modern society. I think that young people are more tolerant, than the church. I think people see religion more as spreading hate as opposed to love.

There is this attitude among many "christians" that somehow being, for instance, gay, is worse than committing murder. Pharisee type behavior in that regard, aside from being patently hypocritical, is one of many things that undermines the church's legitimacy. Jesus didn't discriminate among the "type" of person who merits salvation, he welcomed all, and treated everyone with respect and dignity (wether they were a leper or a prostitute). When people pass judgement on others, for whatever reason, in any regard, they fundamentally mistake their place in this world. No man has the right to -in religious matters- judge another. The church's doors should be the most open, and congregants should be among the most welcoming and accepting. However, this is generally, empirically not the case. (Love thy neighbor as thyself does not only apply to the WASP's in ones suburb.)
Tsar of DDO
Jellyfish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:00:59 PM

I don't participate because I am atheist. I was raised by Christians and attended church but found many moral problems I had with the beliefs of the church. Besides that, new generations are exposed to more and more scientific findings that contradict religion. Also, globalization via the internet has exposed other religions to this generation, posing the question "How do I know MY religion is the RIGHT religion" often leading to agnosticism.
All I got is nothing but a little bit of love
Gonna give it to the people then they'll see
Then they'll see
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:21:06 PM
New Atheists and similar movements generalise all of religion hastily into a being to attack that causes problems (and the bad religions out there certainly exist), while the religious do not engage with this stereotype, and instead hide behind shields of loyalty. Religion itself comes from the latin meaning "to bind together". The religious who do engage with it are the likes of Dinesh S'zousa (cannot spell it), who spend their time making strawmen of their own. Instead, people should be engaging with the premises behind these attacks, rather than play the common reactionary role.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:31:57 PM
At 8/25/2012 3:25:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Good thing this thread is open to LGBT, because I think this is just faaaaaaaabuloussss.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 1:36:26 PM

I think a discussion like this must bear in mind the cyclical nature of churches. Take for instance the Friars and the Monks, both at one point held massive power and wealth in Europe, and yet neither are around today. New forms of the same churches spring up regularly, which is why the older a religion becomes, the more denominations it has. Just because people aren't going to church, doesn't mean people don't consider themselves to be Christian. My mother hasn't gone to Church in a little under a decade, but still considers herself to be Christian.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 8:05:02 PM
At 8/25/2012 3:21:06 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
New Atheists and similar movements generalise all of religion hastily into a being to attack that causes problems (and the bad religions out there certainly exist), while the religious do not engage with this stereotype, and instead hide behind shields of loyalty. Religion itself comes from the latin meaning "to bind together". The religious who do engage with it are the likes of Dinesh S'zousa (cannot spell it), who spend their time making strawmen of their own. Instead, people should be engaging with the premises behind these attacks, rather than play the common reactionary role.

No. In fact, Sam Harris addresses that religion, when taken as a whole, can't lead to valid conclusions. http://bigthink.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.