Jump to topic:

The Atheist's View On Theists

Axiom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 11:56:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not asking if you think it's true or not, that answer is provided in the question.
What I want to know is this: do atheists immediately disregard Theists who profess their faith as 'stupid?' I see it all the time on these forums. I see a tonne of Theist-bashing. But do DDOers truly find Theists to be 'dumb' or 'irrational' without opinions worthy of consideration due to their religious beliefs? If not, is there another generalization people insert there?
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 12:05:01 AM
At 8/13/2012 11:56:46 PM, Axiom wrote:
I'm not asking if you think it's true or not, that answer is provided in the question.
What I want to know is this: do atheists immediately disregard Theists who profess their faith as 'stupid?' I see it all the time on these forums. I see a tonne of Theist-bashing. But do DDOers truly find Theists to be 'dumb' or 'irrational' without opinions worthy of consideration due to their religious beliefs? If not, is there another generalization people insert there?

Good question!
TheAsylum
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 12:43:43 AM
At 8/14/2012 12:05:01 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

Good question!

Really? I find it kind of silly. Of course there are atheists who dismiss theists outright. Can some of them be found here? Yes. The reverse is also true. It's true for followers for any type of belief system facing any sort of opposition. After all, why should the opinions of anyone who disagrees with us be respected? They've clearly gone mad.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 12:52:07 AM
At 8/14/2012 12:43:43 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 8/14/2012 12:05:01 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

Good question!

Really? I find it kind of silly. Of course there are atheists who dismiss theists outright. Can some of them be found here? Yes. The reverse is also true. It's true for followers for any type of belief system facing any sort of opposition. After all, why should the opinions of anyone who disagrees with us be respected? They've clearly gone mad.

Ohh... very true.
TheAsylum
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:08:53 AM
The Fool: Because this form of Theism makes claims of a God over all people not just Theist. Its claims all humans are Guilty of sin. Athiest in the Bible is mean to be EVIL! And pressums that Atheist subsumed under their Gods moral commandment. It oppresses athiest, gay, or other forms or Religions. That other will burn in hell. IT is not a passive claim at all!
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 2:14:35 AM
In my experience, yes, most Atheists are overly dismissive of Theists, but, dually, this is leaps and bounds passed the inclusiveness of Theists towards Atheists.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 4:57:26 AM
It's reactionary. Theists in America are extremely distrustful of atheists (moreso than gays or Muslims according to polls) so the kind of kneejerk reaction embodied by the new atheist movement has arisen as a response.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:45:09 AM
At 8/14/2012 4:57:26 AM, Kinesis wrote:
It's reactionary. Theists in America are extremely distrustful of atheists (moreso than gays or Muslims according to polls) so the kind of kneejerk reaction embodied by the new atheist movement has arisen as a response.

The Fool: What reason is there to mistrust somebody who is saying that lets make sure we can all see to make the claim that its true. How is a mistrust even possible? This is a perfect proof against God!

Arguement from all powerful will
Let assume the following conditions for a Christain God where True:
A1 There exist an all powerfull Christian God that does what he wills.
A2 It is also true that he wills us to believe in him.
[If and only if] this is true then we couldn't resist his will.

However:
Most people on the planet don't believe in a Christian God:
The Asians and Indians populations make the majority of humans.
Therefore A Christian God doesn't exist.
Q.E.D.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:51:12 AM

The Fool: The academic success has also been plummeting, and you have Apologists who are abusing logic, for there end. There is not way to know that there is a Kneejerk. Therefore if you are making a claim of knowledge if is FALSE!
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:54:31 AM
At 8/14/2012 7:51:12 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: The academic success has also been plummeting, and you have Apologists who are Touring the land like Roaming Priest in the 1 century, Lying to the population. Therefor is not way to know that there is a Kneejerk based from New Atheist. Therefore if you are making a claim of knowledge if is FALSE!
That is just pure Ignorance from having a low Academic success rate
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:00:49 PM

It all depends what type of theist they are. If they are creationists who deny evolution and think the Earth is 6,000 years old or some bullocks like that, then yes I do not hesitate to ridicule these people. If they believe in evolution and all the developments in science but simply believe a God guided it all, then no, I do not think these theists are stupid.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:12:58 PM
At 8/14/2012 3:01:58 PM, Wnope wrote:
I would say atheists are as intellectually dismissive of theists as theists are morally dismissive of atheists.

I've never had an intellectual theist tell me I was morally bankrupt due to Atheism. It's only the knobs who say I'm only Atheist so I can be "bad" and other such nonsense lol
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:18:04 PM
Some theists (ex. Gilandox, Scottydouglas, DATCOMOTO) are worthy of dismissal because they really don't care what you have to say, they just assume they're right and speak sheer garbage. Those are the only ones we'd be justified in ignoring
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:24:01 PM
People who have some aspect of their beliefs in their username can usually be dismissed when it comes to productive conversation on that particular belief.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:38:34 PM
At 8/14/2012 3:24:01 PM, Maikuru wrote:
People who have some aspect of their beliefs in their username can usually be dismissed when it comes to productive conversation on that particular belief.

I agree.
"Godsconservativegirl"
"Godsands"

GenesisCreation is an exception.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:52:44 PM

Lol!
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:53:11 PM
At 8/14/2012 3:01:58 PM, Wnope wrote:
I would say atheists are as intellectually dismissive of theists as theists are morally dismissive of atheists.

Well I do not morally dismiss atheist. But my intellect is dismissed by atheist when in fact I hold a very high IQ by public standard tests. These things mean nothing but it is obvious that theist are no less intellectually than a atheist. There are idiots from either side but also brillance from both also.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:55:11 PM
At 8/14/2012 3:18:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
Some theists (ex. Gilandox, Scottydouglas, DATCOMOTO) are worthy of dismissal because they really don't care what you have to say, they just assume they're right and speak sheer garbage. Those are the only ones we'd be justified in ignoring

Is truth up for discussing? Can the truth be changed? Also thanks for spelling my name right, I see you was eager to post it.
TheAsylum
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:58:06 PM
At 8/14/2012 3:55:11 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/14/2012 3:18:04 PM, 000ike wrote:

Is truth up for discussing? Can the truth be changed? Also thanks for spelling my name right, I see you was eager to post it.

No, it cannot be changed, but YES, it is up for discussing.

Let's say the topic: Global Warming Exists

I believe it is the truth however 16kadams does not.

What people believe is "truth" varies.
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 4:14:49 PM

I agree....you made my point...they believe it varies when it doesnt. But we can discuss it, but to me, why? When the truth can not change.
TheAsylum
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 4:58:56 PM
At 8/14/2012 4:14:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

I agree....you made my point...they believe it varies when it doesnt. But we can discuss it, but to me, why? When the truth can not change.

Because you can try to convince people and listen to other points of view.
Using that logic, why should we discuss anything?
Wall of LOL
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:03:32 PM
The atheists I meet are in no way more intellectually engaged than theists. Often their arguments against God are so nonsensical that I won't bother discussing. (And I don't miss discussions very often.) "If God exists who created him? Blah blah?" This is boring.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:11:10 PM
As has been pointed out before as a general behaviour pattern towards theists, my behaviour is quite similar. There are different styles of theism which make the holders either more likely to be dismissed by myself or less likely. The former are usually those who simply cover their ears towards all evidence and use fallacious circular reasoning coupled unsubstantiated assertions to make their point ex. Scotty, acavra.

Others, on the other hand, are more likely to listen to the other side and the possibility of having an actual discussion with them greatly increases past the "Bible is the word of God because God wrote it" mantra of the former group. They usually accept scientific evidence and are generally much more tolerable and intellectual. I have no problem with these people.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:16:32 PM
At 8/14/2012 4:58:56 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

You are right, for others, I am talking for myself, I do not seek to discuss rejecting Christ.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:20:53 PM
At 8/14/2012 5:11:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
As has been pointed out before as a general behaviour pattern towards theists, my behaviour is quite similar. There are different styles of theism which make the holders either more likely to be dismissed by myself or less likely. The former are usually those who simply cover their ears towards all evidence and use fallacious circular reasoning coupled unsubstantiated assertions to make their point ex. Scotty, acavra.

Others, on the other hand, are more likely to listen to the other side and the possibility of having an actual discussion with them greatly increases past the "Bible is the word of God because God wrote it" mantra of the former group. They usually accept scientific evidence and are generally much more tolerable and intellectual. I have no problem with these people.

I see that my name continues into Post by others, means Im doing something right. Sir, I will never by pass that, " The Bible is the word of God because God inspired it." Not even theist claim God wrote the Bible himself but gave inspiration. To by pass that is to by pass the truth all together. Also I use science and agree with science alot, but I see the limitations of science, and others just want to deny them.
TheAsylum
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:42:15 PM
At 8/14/2012 5:16:32 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/14/2012 4:58:56 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

You are right, for others, I am talking for myself, I do not seek to discuss rejecting Christ.

You know what? Ike is right. All you do is speak and dismiss everyone who tries to argue with you.
Wall of LOL
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:52:50 PM
At 8/14/2012 5:20:53 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

I see that my name continues into Post by others, means Im doing something right.

No, it means you're just contributing to the negative stereo-typing against theists mentioned in this thread.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 6:51:56 PM
At 8/14/2012 5:52:50 PM, phantom wrote:
At 8/14/2012 5:20:53 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

I see that my name continues into Post by others, means Im doing something right.

No, it means you're just contributing to the negative stereo-typing against theists mentioned in this thread.

Pretty much this.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:05:13 PM
At 8/14/2012 3:38:34 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

I agree.
"Godsconservativegirl"
"Godsands"

GenesisCreation and Wallstreetatheist are exceptions.

fixed
Wall of LOL