Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:39:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
How do most theists view atheists?
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 3:49:52 PM
At 8/14/2012 3:47:33 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/14/2012 3:39:56 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

I view them as people as myself.

^Same as above.^
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:53:17 PM
They are the spawn of Satan sent to seduce me with sugary treats and tales of Batman.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:54:44 PM
Atheists are people too.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 5:55:04 PM
At 8/14/2012 5:54:44 PM, phantom wrote:
Atheists are people too.

Just like giraffes.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 6:12:24 PM

I've never really met very many true atheists. Most people who claim atheism actually fall into the category of, what I call, anti-theists.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 6:33:31 PM
At 8/14/2012 6:12:24 PM, medic0506 wrote:

I've never really met very many true atheists. Most people who claim atheism actually fall into the category of, what I call, anti-theists.

An atheist is one who isn't a theist. An anti-theist is one who believes theism sucks. There's no conflict between the two. It's easy to be both.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 8:09:11 PM

The Fool: Because Religion is oppresion to OTHERS! who are not appart of it. It make claim upon others. That they are all guilty, for some completly irrational principle. God is not the problem. Its all the claims that people know his ways. That are the problem. The BIG BOOKS are the problem.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 9:04:07 PM
At 8/14/2012 6:33:31 PM, wiploc wrote:

An atheist is one who isn't a theist. An anti-theist is one who believes theism sucks. There's no conflict between the two. It's easy to be both.

I agree with the above. I usually categorize atheists into two categories:

Cat. 1: An atheist who has nothing against theism. He/she just believes theism does not exist. Example: RationalThinker
Cat. 2: An atheist who hates theism and thinks it is going to doom the world. Example: WSA
Wall of LOL
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 11:52:30 PM
When I was a theist, I pitied atheists because I thought they weren't going to heaven. Now I pity them because I know they aren't.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 12:38:23 AM
At 8/14/2012 9:04:07 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Cat. 1: An atheist who has nothing against theism. He/she just believes theism does not exist. Example: RationalThinker
Cat. 2: An atheist who hates theism and thinks it is going to doom the world. Example: WSA

It is also possible to believe in God and be an anti-theist. For example, believing is deism while thinking that all major documented religions are wrong and cause harm to mankind.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 12:50:48 AM
Most atheists are just regular people that lack a belief in God. There are a few (with a significant online presence) that feel atheism gives them some sort of inherent intellectual superiority. But like I said, most are fine and as easy to get along with as theists.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 12:53:03 AM

What are you going to do with the rest of us?

You want a normalized database: everybody in a category, and nobody in more than one category.

Between hating atheism and having nothing against it, there is much room, room, in fact, for almost all of us.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 1:18:30 AM

There's also atheists, under Category 1, who are depressed atheists in that they wish God did exist.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 2:08:29 AM
At 8/15/2012 12:50:48 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Most atheists are just regular people that lack a belief in God. There are a few (with a significant online presence) that feel atheism gives them some sort of inherent intellectual superiority. But like I said, most are fine and as easy to get along with as theists.

I can agree with this outlook.
TheAsylum
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 2:51:05 AM

Religion and Statism have already done enough damage. My general antagonism is toward dogma, especially dangerous, incompetent, life-destroying dogma. Shia Islam and State-Communism immediately come to mind. If you'd like to debate this, send me a challenge.

Though on the question of supernatural gods, I play the naturalist atheist card. I don't think any supernatural phenomena exist. I believe what there is strong evidence and argument to believe in; that excludes the supernatural claims made in religious texts, psychics, faith healers, ghosts, gods, fairies, fortune tellers, etc.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 9:22:15 AM
At 8/15/2012 12:38:23 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

It is also possible to believe in God and be an anti-theist. For example, believing is deism while thinking that all major documented religions are wrong and cause harm to mankind.

Yes, that is possible.
Wall of LOL
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 9:22:35 AM
At 8/15/2012 2:08:29 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/15/2012 12:50:48 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

I can agree with this outlook.
Wall of LOL
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:04:11 AM

A theist is one who beleives in the existence of God, or gods.

An atheist is one who is without a beleif in God, or gods. He isn't convinced by arguments for God's existence, but he is open to the possibility.

An anti-theist is one who beleives that God does not exist.

You can tell what a person is by their stance on God's existence. A theist says that God exists. A true atheist doesn't rule out the possibility, but says that he does not beleive that God exists. An anti-theist says that God does not exist.

You can argue deism, gnosticism, weak atheist, strong atheist, or whatever you want to throw in, but for discussion and debate purposes, those are the only 3 classes needed.

An anti-theist is technically an atheist, yes, but he goes one step further. He asserts that God does not exist, and in doing so, takes on a burden of proof that an atheist doesn't have.

I've had this discussion with a number of anti-theists, and it's funny how, when asked to meet that burden of proof that they've taken on with their claims, they run for cover claiming atheism. They don't want to be labeled as an anti-theist because they know they can't back up what they say.

So now they come up with an ingenious way to try and get around that. Weak atheism and strong atheism...lol. I refer to it as benign atheism and malignant atheism. You can class yourselves any way you see fit, but it's actually the stance you take, and claims you make, that determine your burden of proof.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:14:39 AM

No, you really don't though. You believe we are going to hell for eternity while you laugh in the kingdom of heaven. You obviously cannot just view us as "just people", you must think we are evil. If not, why am I going to hell in your view?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:23:58 AM
It really irks me when theists talk about how we are just people like them, if that was true we would all be going to heaven in their view. In reality, they view us as evil and we are going to be tormented for eternity. If they do not view us as evil, then they are admitting their God sends good people to hell.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:31:37 AM
At 8/15/2012 10:14:39 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

No, you really don't though. You believe we are going to hell for eternity while you laugh in the kingdom of heaven. You obviously cannot just view us as "just people", you must think we are evil. If not, why am I going to hell in your view?

Bypassing universalism and whatnot for a moment, what would warrant that belief from a Christian? Scotty doesn't know your future on this Earth, so he would not have to assume that you'll ultimately end up in one place or the other. On top of that, I'm almost positive that he thinks all people are bad, so there doesn't seem to be any force to your "you must think we are evil." comment.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:34:34 AM
At 8/15/2012 10:23:58 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
It really irks me when theists talk about how we are just people like them, if that was true we would all be going to heaven in their view. In reality, they view us as evil and we are going to be tormented for eternity. If they do not view us as evil, then they are admitting their God sends good people to hell.

Everyone has sinned
Sin = Evil
Everyone is evil

However people who know Jesus are saved.

So atheists are people just like theists.
Wall of LOL
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:38:40 AM
At 8/15/2012 10:34:34 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Everyone has sinned
Sin = Evil
Everyone is evil

The difference is that theists have a "get out of sin free card" in Jesus. It seems, Jesus gives theists a "license to sin".

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:43:42 AM
At 8/15/2012 10:34:34 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Everyone has sinned
Sin = Evil
Everyone is evil

No, we are not people just like theists, quit lying to yourself to make you feel better about your rationally dead belief system. In reality, we go to hell, you go to heaven in your worldview. Don't beat around the bush. This has to mean that there are two categories:

(i) Evil people who go to heaven
(ii) Evil people who go to hell

Now, you said we are all evil, but you are skipping the huge factor. We are not people just like you according to your worldview. We suffer for eternity, you are in bliss for eternity.

Also, are you saying that being saved is based on believing in God and Jesus on bad evidence? I'm sorry, I'm not going to engage in willful ignorance and believe some made up idea out of fear of some place humans made up thousands of years ago.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 11:25:39 AM
At 8/15/2012 11:18:58 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Worse than gays and Muslims, in America. Here in Britain we don't care about people's private beliefs nearly as much.

It's not the belief in God that irks me, that's fine. It's the belief that the universe couldn't exist unless there was a God. Which is unfounded.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 11:27:34 AM
At 8/15/2012 11:18:58 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Worse than gays and Muslims, in America. Here in Britain we don't care about people's private beliefs nearly as much.

Also, if they believe I'm going to be tortured for eternity, I deserve to have evidence for such a horrendous claim If they are going to spout that nonsense around like it's fact, or like there is evidence for it, then I have a right to intervene because it's about my future.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 11:32:04 AM
At 8/15/2012 11:27:34 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Also, if they believe I'm going to be tortured for eternity, I deserve to have evidence for such a horrendous claim If they are going to spout that nonsense around like it's fact, or like there is evidence for it, then I have a right to intervene because it's about my future.

This is a good point. It's lucky that Christians don't actually act as though this belief is true though, because we'd live in a brainwashing theocracy if people really thought unbelief led to ultimate suffering.