Fivefold Increase in Atheists in Seven Years

wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 6:29:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://slatest.slate.com...

Apparently five times as many people call themselves atheists as seven years ago. We're up to 5% of America.

Religious people in America are down from 73% to 60% over the same period.

Worldwide, atheists are 13%.

Some suggest that, instead of an increase in atheists, the poll is tracking an increase in the number of people willing to be identified as atheists. I assume that both are true, plus, as the new definition of "atheism" catches on, more people are included under that label even if they haven't changed from undecided/undetermined/a-curse-on-both-your-houses/agnosticism-is-the-only-rational-stance/etcetera to the belief that there are no gods.

Also, the poll is weird/iffy/flawed because it asked people to put themselves in one of three classes: Religious, nonreligious, and atheist. The categories are not exhaustive and mutually exclusive. Most atheists are non-religious. Some theists (deists, almost) could fairly be described as non-religious too. "Yeah, there's a god. So what?" Judaism includes many religious atheists.

But still, 5%! A five-fold increase in seven years!

When I was a kid, Madalyn Murray was the only other American atheist that I'd even heard of. Now we meet openly, and everybody knows we're here.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 6:35:01 PM
That's great! It proves we're making progress!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 6:42:45 PM
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:09:34 PM
At 8/14/2012 6:29:13 PM, wiploc wrote:

Apparently five times as many people call themselves atheists as seven years ago. We're up to 5% of America.

Some suggest that, instead of an increase in atheists, the poll is tracking an increase in the number of people willing to be identified as atheists. I assume that both are true, plus, as the new definition of "atheism" catches on, more people are included under that label even if they haven't changed from undecided/undetermined/a-curse-on-both-your-houses/agnosticism-is-the-only-rational-stance/etcetera to the belief that there are no gods.

Also, the poll is weird/iffy/flawed because it asked people to put themselves in one of three classes: Religious, nonreligious, and atheist. The categories are not exhaustive and mutually exclusive. Most atheists are non-religious. Some theists (deists, almost) could fairly be described as non-religious too. "Yeah, there's a god. So what?" Judaism includes many religious atheists.

When I was a kid, Madalyn Murray was the only other American atheist that I'd even heard of. Now we meet openly, and everybody knows we're here.

Sounds like your religion is growing by leaps and bounds. I beleive the Bible predicts this, so no one is surprised.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:12:22 PM
@Medic:

http://24.media.tumblr.com...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:15:50 PM
Well, I would say I am glad for this. It's one step towards having a more open and rational minded society. It also helps to alleviate any backfire by atheists due to their minority and theist arrogance due to their majority.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:19:23 PM
At 8/14/2012 7:15:50 PM, phantom wrote:
Well, I would say I am glad for this. It's one step towards having a more open and rational minded society. It also helps to alleviate any backfire by atheists due to their minority and theist arrogance due to their majority.

Still 95% vs 5%. There is hardly any "alleviation."
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:21:21 PM
At 8/14/2012 7:19:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Very true, that's why I said helps. It is small but the growth will continue I'm sure.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:29:07 PM

The Fool: That is good news. If it is not just to fall into another Ideology! Its the irrational Ideological entities that create the problems.

The Fool: I know you won't believe me but I promise with all my heart there is no logical difference between (no belief in God) or (belief in no god). The meaning of a phrase is the synthesis of the parts. And with that they amount to the same meaning. Don't get caught up in langauge entities that is how you end up with IDEOLOGICAL entities.

The Fool: I think maybe I am more non-religious. I don't belief in any ideological entites what so ever. Things like Marxism are just as irrational.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:31:57 PM
At 8/14/2012 7:09:34 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Sounds like your religion is growing by leaps and bounds. I beleive the Bible predicts this, so no one is surprised.

The Fool: Religions need IDEOLOGY. Just the fact that you have to Force call it a religion shows you dishonest intention and you insides. The Bible can be reinterpreted to predict anything. There is no more real interpretation. There never was it was mean for 1st century population.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
TheFogHorn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2012 7:32:59 PM
At 8/14/2012 7:21:21 PM, phantom wrote:
At 8/14/2012 7:19:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Very true, that's why I said helps. It is small but the growth will continue I'm sure.

Snowball.