Jump to topic:

The Sabbath

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 6:45:57 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
The third Commandment reminds us to always keep holy the Sabbath day (Sunday). Yet increasingly Sunday is becoming more and more popular for church-goers to attend mass. I know my grandparents started going to church on Saturday evening because it became more convenient than Sunday morning. So my question is: Is this okay? Granted I am not Christian so I really have no opinion one way or the other. I'd suppose that the point is to keep God/Church in your life at least one day a week, regardless of when that day is. Yet this still seems like a cop out when considering what the 3rd Commandment says. It notes the Sabbath DAY, not Sabbath DAYS. And while we're on the subject, is it Saturday (Jews) or Sunday (Christians)? Hmm.
President of DDO
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 8:56:41 AM
At 9/8/2009 6:45:57 AM, theLwerd wrote:
The third Commandment reminds us to always keep holy the Sabbath day (Sunday). Yet increasingly Sunday is becoming more and more popular for church-goers to attend mass. I know my grandparents started going to church on Saturday evening because it became more convenient than Sunday morning. So my question is: Is this okay? Granted I am not Christian so I really have no opinion one way or the other. I'd suppose that the point is to keep God/Church in your life at least one day a week, regardless of when that day is. Yet this still seems like a cop out when considering what the 3rd Commandment says. It notes the Sabbath DAY, not Sabbath DAYS. And while we're on the subject, is it Saturday (Jews) or Sunday (Christians)? Hmm.

Sabbath was created for man, not man for the sabbath.

Your sig is from goodfellas..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 11:46:25 AM
If I'm going to pray to God, I'd do it on Sunday, just to give me the strength to make it through another week of hell.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 2:55:49 AM
At 9/8/2009 11:46:25 AM, Kleptin wrote:
If I'm going to pray to God, I'd do it on Sunday, just to give me the strength to make it through another week of hell.

Give it a go!
The Cross.. the Cross.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 10:30:54 PM

It'd be more impressive if he could give you that strength on a Saturday, eh?
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 10:52:17 PM
Thanks for the good topic Lwerd.

The Sabbath originally was on Saturday...however it was changed to Sunday. So proper observance of the Sabbath is on Sunday.

The Sabbath commemorates 3 important things:
1. The Creation - (God rested on the 7th day)
2. The Passover - (God commanded His people to take time off to worship Him)(they were slaves and couldn't (slaves can't take a day off)....then God freed them...The Sabbath also commemorates that.(Deut 5:15 (12-15))(Ex.31:12-17)
3. The Resurrection - (Because Jesus came forth on the first day of the week...the ancient apostles guided by revelation changed the Sabbath day to Sunday)(John 20:1)
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2009 11:57:17 PM
The whole issue arises over if Monday or Sunday is the start of the week. A bunch of fat men in robes dictated it was Monday.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 2:14:57 AM

Perhaps you should pray FOR God? I heard this Satan chap is a real nasty piece of work who takes in all the thugs and violent criminals that don't make it into Heaven.

Surely it's only a matter of time before Satan launches an attack on Heaven and if he does I don't suppose the spirits of devout Christians like Donny Osmond, Cliff Richard and Pope John Paul II would be able to put up much of a fight against the spirits of deceased Hells Angels armed with celestial motorbike chains, especially if they only have harps to defend themselves with!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 4:45:52 AM
At 9/10/2009 2:14:57 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Perhaps you should pray FOR God? I heard this Satan chap is a real nasty piece of work who takes in all the thugs and violent criminals that don't make it into Heaven.

Surely it's only a matter of time before Satan launches an attack on Heaven and if he does I don't suppose the spirits of devout Christians like Donny Osmond, Cliff Richard and Pope John Paul II would be able to put up much of a fight against the spirits of deceased Hells Angels armed with celestial motorbike chains, especially if they only have harps to defend themselves with!

Satan is a DEFEATED foe.. he was defeated at calvary 2000 years when Christ said :
" It is finished. "
You simply have to DEFECT.. from him and this world to Christ and the next.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 5:48:24 AM
I find the whole idea that the all powerful creator of the universe would make up such a silly rule as "Now for this cycle of the Earth rotation which causes the sun to start at one point on the horizon and then return to that point (what a day is, although it appears the writers of the Bible didn't really understand that) in this arbitrary period of time (the week, the is astrological basis for it unlike other time periods) you have to rest, otherwise I am going to be mad at you".

It just seems a little petty of said all powerful creator. Now I do understand why priests and other religious figures might create such rules, they need to make sure their followers give them a steady flow of income and influence, how better than to make sure one day out of the week everyone has to be especially sure they listen to you?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 7:37:25 AM
At 9/10/2009 5:48:24 AM, Floid wrote:
I find the whole idea that the all powerful creator of the universe would make up such a silly rule as "Now for this cycle of the Earth rotation which causes the sun to start at one point on the horizon and then return to that point (what a day is, although it appears the writers of the Bible didn't really understand that) in this arbitrary period of time (the week, the is astrological basis for it unlike other time periods) you have to rest, otherwise I am going to be mad at you".

It just seems a little petty of said all powerful creator. Now I do understand why priests and other religious figures might create such rules, they need to make sure their followers give them a steady flow of income and influence, how better than to make sure one day out of the week everyone has to be especially sure they listen to you?

This is because you judge God by your own fallen standards.. You have no wish to truly understand Him or know Him BECAUSE you do not want Him to know you.

God is utterly Holy (set apart.. above all)
God is utterly Just (fair.. forgiving)
God is utterly Good ( loving and blessing)

God can do anything He wishes..
He chose to become a Man and die in YOUR place.. that YOU might live.
Grab it with EVERYTHING you have.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 8:24:07 AM

I'm not so sure about that. I heard that John Paul II could rip a car in half.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2009 9:16:58 AM
At 9/10/2009 8:24:07 AM, Kleptin wrote:

Jesus could heal Leprosy. The lord taketh, the lord giveth. I doubt Satan will get far with his leper army.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 5:03:50 AM
At 9/10/2009 9:16:58 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Jesus could heal Leprosy. The lord taketh, the lord giveth. I doubt Satan will get far with his leper army.

Knowing THIS first..

In the LAST DAYS shall come..

SCOFFERS..

Walking according to..

Their OWN LUSTS.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:33:30 AM

Jesus makes a pretty decent support cleric, but in terms of offense, he is severely lacking. His powers are mainly reduced down to:

1. Transmutation of liquids
2. Waterwalking
3. Teleportation
4. Healing
5. Revivification

And that's about it. God Vs Satan, Satan wins.

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2009 1:51:53 AM
At 9/12/2009 8:33:30 AM, Kleptin wrote:

Jesus makes a pretty decent support cleric, but in terms of offense, he is severely lacking. His powers are mainly reduced down to:

2. Waterwalking
3. Teleportation
4. Healing
5. Revivification

I forgot Leprosy had a 30 second effect time >.<.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2009 4:30:37 AM
At 9/12/2009 8:33:30 AM, Kleptin wrote:

2. Waterwalking
3. Teleportation
4. Healing
5. Revivification

Satan was defeated at the cross of calvary.. (thankyou Lord!)
Until you accept this Kleptin, he is still god of your world and lord of your life.
Everyone's gonna spend eternity with their god.
The Cross.. the Cross.
wakefield4011
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 5:00:07 PM

4th commandment.

And it's for Jews. It's not binding on Christians. None of the OT Law is. Certainly many of the laws are followed by Christians (and non-Christians/non-Jews as well). For instance, "Do not murder" is almost universally recognized. But if you're not Jewish, you're not under that law's jurisdiction. You didn't agree to that contract.

And the Sabbath always has been Saturday. In the early church, they started meeting on the first day of the week since it was the day on which the Lord rose. However, they didn't change the Sabbath in so doing.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 5:08:26 PM
At 9/16/2009 5:00:07 PM, wakefield4011 wrote:

4th commandment.

And it's for Jews. It's not binding on Christians. None of the OT Law is. Certainly many of the laws are followed by Christians (and non-Christians/non-Jews as well). For instance, "Do not murder" is almost universally recognized. But if you're not Jewish, you're not under that law's jurisdiction. You didn't agree to that contract.

And the Sabbath always has been Saturday. In the early church, they started meeting on the first day of the week since it was the day on which the Lord rose. However, they didn't change the Sabbath in so doing.

I don't think that's really fair for Christians not to have to follow Judaic law.

TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 5:19:38 PM
I don't think that's really fair for Christians not to have to follow Judaic law.

Especially since there's a lot of scary sh*t in the Old Testament in terms of laws.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 5:51:17 AM
At 9/16/2009 5:19:38 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

Especially since there's a lot of scary sh*t in the Old Testament in terms of laws.

Reported.
The Cross.. the Cross.