Jump to topic:

Atheism a depressing thought

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 12:49:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Many attack atheism on emotional grounds. If there is no God then its all meaningless. If there is no God you live you die and that's it, if there is no God such such such (insert appeal to undesirable consequences here). And sure even some atheists will agree that they have a more depressing view. After all atheism can't possibly emotionally appeal to the consolation of a dead child who is now in heaven with Jesus, and who isn't really dead, they just changed location and you will met up with them again shortly, so when you think about it, you shouldn't be sad, maybe even happy, Jesus is such a sweet loving person after all, and heaven, it's just such a damm great place, much better then the previous world they died in. And who wouldn't want their loved one in such a better life continuing to exist, and once again, you will met up with them again in a better and more awesome life.................HURRAY !!!

But as the more intellectual christian will admit, this provides no additional reason to support theism or undermine atheism as depressing claims don't equal therefore false and happier claims = therefore true and most just leave it there.

Now lets consider theism is true, if theism is true among other things this means.....

1) God decided to allow the child rapist to rape children, ya know, God actually CHOOSES to allow this.

2) God chooses not to tell us on what date and time the next hurricane, earthquakes will happen, even though he knows, he CHOOSES not to tell us.

3) When people honestly thought cause of their religious indoctrination and ignorace that burning witches was a good idea to get better health and weather outcomes, God choose not to make it crystal clear that this practice was complete bullsh*t.

4) A person can pray to God for a dying child, God won't tell you his answer, he won't even tell you no, you don't find out Gods answer until the child dies. Let me say that again, God doesn't even tell you that he isn't going to heal the child, he just leaves you there.............hanging.

I don't think atheism has a monopoly on depressing thoughts and conclusions.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:24:33 AM
All of your examples, and really any examples of "depressing thoughts" anyone can muster, pale in comparison to the eternal majesty of heaven. When it comes to depression, atheism has a monopoly.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:33:53 AM
At 8/16/2012 1:24:33 AM, Maikuru wrote:
All of your examples, and really any examples of "depressing thoughts" anyone can muster, pale in comparison to the eternal majesty of heaven. When it comes to depression, atheism has a monopoly.

Ahhh yes, cause of heaven............all that I have mentioned, and more, it just doesn't matter, yeah best not to think about these things, keep your eye on the prize eh..............heaven a nice distraction to reconcile all this stuff........THANK YA JESUS !!!

Can I get an amen ? what no amen ? burn in hell heretics.

PS: While I was typing this chances are some where a child got raped..........AGAIN.......ssshhhhhhhhhhh Heaven.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
TheJackel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:39:20 AM
At 8/16/2012 1:24:33 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Actually that isn't true.. Saying Atheism has a monopoly on depression is basically lying to prop up your religion while ignoring suicide in those whom are religious.. This tells me you don't know the definition of "monopoly", or have any real grasp of reality. And it's not very often you see an Atheist slit the throats of their children for fear of a supposed rapture either.. Could we thus say religion has a monopoly on psychopathy, narcissism, and psychosis?

Also to become immortal and infinitely conscious is a stairway to pure hell to where existence becomes and infinitely repeated movie to where it would become infinitely boring, dull, and meaningless. The first one hundred trillion years might be ok..but the next infinite number of years would be like eating the same hamburger an infinite number of times... And who wants infinite depression?

Next, we know enough to know that what makes us, will continue on infinitely after we die. The energy that makes me, the energy of my atoms will forever exist. And that energy could perhaps even cause the birth of another Universe full of life to where even some of my energy may become the essence of another living being to whom may look up at the stars and contemplate where it had come from.

Lastly, you don't need a GOD to believe in an afterlife, or even an infinite afterlife. Many Atheists are spiritualists and even believe that there could be a spirit world beyond... Atheism only deals with "no GOD" and that's it. It has no barring on any other subject.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 2:21:39 AM
At 8/16/2012 12:49:01 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Many attack atheism on emotional grounds. If there is no God then its all meaningless. If there is no God you live you die and that's it, if there is no God such such such (insert appeal to undesirable consequences here). And sure even some atheists will agree that they have a more depressing view. After all atheism can't possibly emotionally appeal to the consolation of a dead child who is now in heaven with Jesus, and who isn't really dead, they just changed location and you will met up with them again shortly, so when you think about it, you shouldn't be sad, maybe even happy, Jesus is such a sweet loving person after all, and heaven, it's just such a damm great place, much better then the previous world they died in. And who wouldn't want their loved one in such a better life continuing to exist, and once again, you will met up with them again in a better and more awesome life.................HURRAY !!!

It the mockery that is unsettling.

But as the more intellectual christian will admit, this provides no additional reason to support theism or undermine atheism as depressing claims don't equal therefore false and happier claims = therefore true and most just leave it there.

Your right here. It doesnt prove nothing and theist should realize we owe no explanation.

1) God decided to allow the child rapist to rape children, ya know, God actually CHOOSES to allow this.

No. blaming God for giving freedoms and someone decides to take that freedom and rape children is God's fault how?
2) God chooses not to tell us on what date and time the next hurricane, earthquakes will happen, even though he knows, he CHOOSES not to tell us.

Hey these are natural ways of God's punishments upon man for our actions. We deserve it. I understand you cant comprehind that.
3) When people honestly thought cause of their religious indoctrination and ignorace that burning witches was a good idea to get better health and weather outcomes, God choose not to make it crystal clear that this practice was complete bullsh*t.

No he said numerous times that was withcraft and abominations. Many times.
4) A person can pray to God for a dying child, God won't tell you his answer, he won't even tell you no, you don't find out Gods answer until the child dies. Let me say that again, God doesn't even tell you that he isn't going to heal the child, he just leaves you there.............hanging.

You know this how? He doesnt leave me hanging unless I seek gain for myself and not His.

They sure dont. But stats and atheist themselves suggest it.
TheAsylum
TheJackel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 2:46:22 AM
"No. blaming God for giving freedoms and someone decides to take that freedom and rape children is God's fault how?"

If propane tanks explodes and kill 30 babies and their mothers, do you blame the tank or those who knowingly designed flaws in the tank to which they knew would have a high potential exploding and killing people? Built in freedom of these flaws to cause death, suffering, hate, violence, bigotry?? Seems either this deity is really dumb, didn't think this through, or doesn't exist. For petes sake, life must murder itself to survive and reproduce son.. What kind of sick nut job finds that concept intelligently designed?

Here is a solution to half the worlds problems.. Make death, starvation, and suffering impossible..Nah, silly me and my little mortal logic.. :/
TheJackel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 2:53:13 AM
But stats and atheist themselves suggest it.

Statistically there are more theists who pretty much socially outcast and psychologically abuse Atheists or views not in conformity to their psychotic religion. Naturally that is going to have a consequence on the mental health of people whom are targets of this abuse. Theists know this, and it's a lot of why they routinely espouse it.. Their sick.. Such religions are psychopathic and lack empathy.. They are Theocritus in nature and doctrine. Just reading the bible tells you how psychotic it is. I've even written an article on the subject of brainwashing here:

http://matt-mattjwest.newsvine.com...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 6:26:41 AM
At 8/16/2012 2:21:39 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/16/2012 12:49:01 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

It the mockery that is unsettling.

You mock me, you mock humanity with your rationalizations for your religious beliefs in light of the evidence. But for the most part I am not mocking, when I say that the vision of Jesus in heaven with the dead child is more comforting that anything atheism can produce I am being quite literal.

Your right here. It doesnt prove nothing and theist should realize we owe no explanation.

No. blaming God for giving freedoms and someone decides to take that freedom and rape children is God's fault how?

I don't have to blame God to find this vision of life depressing. A vision of life where a God has to make a choice as to whether to allow the child rapist to rape the child......and does so. I am not assigning blame to God what so ever.

Hey these are natural ways of God's punishments upon man for our actions. We deserve it. I understand you cant comprehend that.

I understand that you can't comprehend that your rationalization here could be complete bullsh*t. Notice how God doesn't tell people, ok I am about to to this, and I am punishing you for this. It's only after the event that some a$$hole claims to know the mind of God, its the gays, the gays, God did it because of the gays.

So now we are back to the dark ages, weather events happens, its God punishing us again, back to witch burnings.

No he said numerous times that was withcraft and abominations. Many times.

You know this how? He doesnt leave me hanging unless I seek gain for myself and not His.

The parents of dead children whom God left hanging would beg to differ. But hey, your different, he talks to you ? right a$$hole ? your special right ? Your not just another indoctrinated self deceived make any excuse for my religious beliefs I can't be wrong christian right ? No not you.

They sure dont. But stats and atheist themselves suggest it.

It's sad when people can tell the difference between religious indoctrination and wishful thinking and an all power, all knowing supernatural being talking to them......but hey Scott God talks to you right ?