Jump to topic:

God is Meaningless

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 1:42:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have heard a few times the whole if God does not exist life is meaningless, and also being implied if God exists Life does have meaning.

So this gets me thinking about what does it mean to say something has meaning or doesn't ? And it seems to me the general gist of the whole life without God doesn't have meaning, is that something can only have meaning in the objective sense if it was created by an intelligent creator.

If this is true, and God has no intelligent creator them self.....well then, God them self is "meaning less"

If you claim that something doesn't need to be the product of an intelligent creator to have "meaning" then that means a universe, or earth or humans that are not the product of an intelligent creator can have meaning which refutes the whole without God life has no meaning.

To those who still argue that life without God has no meaning, but if God exists life does have meaning, I would ask you clarify what you mean when you say something has meaning and what criteria you are using to establish whether something has meaning or not.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 7:05:07 AM
This is a great point. If a higher up intelligence than "x" is needed to give "x" meaning, then God has no meaning if he is the highest intelligence.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 11:43:38 AM
At 8/18/2012 1:42:04 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
I have heard a few times the whole if God does not exist life is meaningless, and also being implied if God exists Life does have meaning.

So this gets me thinking about what does it mean to say something has meaning or doesn't ? And it seems to me the general gist of the whole life without God doesn't have meaning, is that something can only have meaning in the objective sense if it was created by an intelligent creator.

If this is true, and God has no intelligent creator them self.....well then, God them self is "meaning less"

If you claim that something doesn't need to be the product of an intelligent creator to have "meaning" then that means a universe, or earth or humans that are not the product of an intelligent creator can have meaning which refutes the whole without God life has no meaning.

To those who still argue that life without God has no meaning, but if God exists life does have meaning, I would ask you clarify what you mean when you say something has meaning and what criteria you are using to establish whether something has meaning or not.

An animal of the species homo sapiens, sitting somewhere on 3rd planet around an average star called sun; which is located on outermost rim of a certain galaxy milky way; which happens to be one the galaxies among at least 10^11 galaxies in the known universe; and this animal is wondering about purpose of life of the eternal God, who is the creator of everything.

How long are you going to live? Another 100 years? God will still be there when everything else has been finished.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 12:41:09 PM
At 8/18/2012 11:43:38 AM, baggins wrote:

An animal of the species homo sapiens, sitting somewhere on 3rd planet around an average star called sun; which is located on outermost rim of a certain galaxy milky way; which happens to be one the galaxies among at least 10^11 galaxies in the known universe; and this animal is wondering about purpose of life of the eternal God, who is the creator of everything.

How long are you going to live? Another 100 years? God will still be there when everything else has been finished.

I don't agree with the OP but I'm not sure this addresses his question...unless you're saying that longevity is the relevant factor in terms of meaning.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 1:13:52 PM
Meaning is a subjective word, as it demands interpretation of a fact. In other words, meaning is the understanding that an agent has of a fact, concept, or thing. When it comes to objectivity, things are what they are. Reasons and meanings come in to play when agents attempt to organize or make sense of what is there and what is occurring.

So the term "objective meaning" is absurd at the get go. Life DOESN'T have any objective meaning, and neither can God.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 1:55:40 PM
At 8/18/2012 12:41:09 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I don't agree with the OP but I'm not sure this addresses his question...unless you're saying that longevity is the relevant factor in terms of meaning.

What I am saying is: without God, our life is meaningless since we are insignificant and transient.

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 2:09:10 PM
At 8/18/2012 1:55:40 PM, baggins wrote:

What I am saying is: without God, our life is meaningless since we are insignificant and transient.

Well, significance is what we're talking about here, unless you mean size? Transience refers to longevity, so you're saying that's the relevant factor?
- lamerde

baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 2:13:11 PM
At 8/18/2012 2:09:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Well, significance is what we're talking about here, unless you mean size?...

What is the significance of man in universe? What is the significance of God in universe? I don't particularly care how you define significance. You will reach the same answer.

Transience refers to longevity, so you're saying that's the relevant factor?

Yes.

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 2:20:33 PM
At 8/18/2012 2:13:11 PM, baggins wrote:
At 8/18/2012 2:09:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Well, significance is what we're talking about here, unless you mean size?...

What is the significance of man in universe? What is the significance of God in universe? I don't particularly care how you define significance. You will reach the same answer.

The OP was curious how you defined it.

Transience refers to longevity, so you're saying that's the relevant factor?

Yes.

So sea turtles, redwoods, and rocks are closer to God in terms of meaning than humans?
- lamerde

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 6:10:29 PM

How does being eternal equate to having meaning? How can you answer this with a non-subjective answer?