Total Posts:42|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Meaningless

yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.
Me
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 9:25:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree. I would witness to them but at a distance they are comfortable with, its respect and caring, but you have to leave them be at some point. You can never force nothing down peoples throat either side. I do go to battle against those who as you said, "want to take it away from people and take people with them". They are not confident about thier beliefs and choose to disrespect others for pleasure.
TheAsylum
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 9:35:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

I would say the vast majority of atheists will not try to "take it away" from you. However, many atheists do not like how religion is used to hate gays, reject science, discriminate, start/justify wars and brainwash children. Atheists want to be more accepted. in society (especially USA). Atheists want there viewpoint understood. Atheists are fine with you finding pleasure in religion, but not if it causes others pain.

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It seems these atheists believe that by using government funds to show a cross, the USA is endorsing Christianity over other religions. American Atheists either want the cross removed or people of all faiths represented. Also, American Atheists an extreme atheist group, that does not represent all atheists.

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

I highly doubt this is the case. Maybe they are not sure and want to run there atheist ideas by you to see if what they think makes sense? However, most atheists realize that Pascals Wager (punishment for non-believers) is not a good argument, so I doubt they are worried about being wrong.
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 9:52:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 9:35:56 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

I would say the vast majority of atheists will not try to "take it away" from you. However, many atheists do not like how religion is used to hate gays, reject science, discriminate, start/justify wars and brainwash children. Atheists want to be more accepted. in society (especially USA). Atheists want there viewpoint understood. Atheists are fine with you finding pleasure in religion, but not if it causes others pain.

I can see your point in a few things, most religions would not agree on these things. I would think here you are talking about the extremes religions or cults?

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It seems these atheists believe that by using government funds to show a cross, the USA is endorsing Christianity over other religions. American Atheists either want the cross removed or people of all faiths represented. Also, American Atheists an extreme atheist group, that does not represent all atheists.


This was a cross found in the rubble of 911 why do people over think it?

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

I highly doubt this is the case. Maybe they are not sure and want to run there atheist ideas by you to see if what they think makes sense? However, most atheists realize that Pascals Wager (punishment for non-believers) is not a good argument, so I doubt they are worried about being wrong.

If they are not sure and want to run it by me they are worried.
Me
caveat
Posts: 2,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 9:58:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Perhaps they care about you and think you are living a life ultimately driven by falsities?
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:15:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago

I can see your point in a few things, most religions would not agree on these things. I would think here you are talking about the extremes religions or cults?

Even mainstream religions are guilty of these. Many religious senators/representatives try to legislate against evolution and scientific ideas, many people oppose gay marriage and even hate gays on religious grounds, someone cannot be elected office in the USA as an atheist, multiple polls show that atheists are the least trusted religious group in the USA. Mainstream religious are also very guilty of these.



This was a cross found in the rubble of 911 why do people over think it?

They probable think that they have a case. Even if they lose, they at least get publicity for atheists which is what they want. They probably care more about publicity then getting the cross removed.

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

I highly doubt this is the case. Maybe they are not sure and want to run there atheist ideas by you to see if what they think makes sense? However, most atheists realize that Pascals Wager (punishment for non-believers) is not a good argument, so I doubt they are worried about being wrong.

If they are not sure and want to run it by me they are worried.

Most people that identify as atheists are pretty sure and probably dismiss Pascals Wager. Maybe those who are just starting to turn from Christians to Atheists may be worried at first. But, atheists probably will not want to run an idea by you. They definitely do not want to as you said "bring you down with them".
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:15:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I care because people are taught that atheists are stupid or misguided and the very title carries with it a distasteful air. How can something with so much truth, backing and effort behind it be dismissed like that? It's not right.

I'm also a firm believer in determinism, so I find that Christian morals contribute to injustice and narrow minded thinking. Anything who's followers feel that they can actually wage war on science needs to be shot down immediately.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:19:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 9:58:37 AM, caveat wrote:
Perhaps they care about you and think you are living a life ultimately driven by falsities?

Maybe, but they are not really running this stuff by me that was twocupcakes fantasy to make his point. Most of them don't even bring it up.
Me
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:30:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 10:15:06 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

I can see your point in a few things, most religions would not agree on these things. I would think here you are talking about the extremes religions or cults?

Even mainstream religions are guilty of these. Many religious senators/representatives try to legislate against evolution and scientific ideas, many people oppose gay marriage and even hate gays on religious grounds, someone cannot be elected office in the USA as an atheist, multiple polls show that atheists are the least trusted religious group in the USA. Mainstream religious are also very guilty of these.

Opposing gay marriage is not gay hate, Marriage is a religious ceremony. Hate crimes towards gays is wrong in christian views also hate is evil, just because extremest are acting out does not make a name for all religious people.







This was a cross found in the rubble of 911 why do people over think it?

They probable think that they have a case. Even if they lose, they at least get publicity for atheists which is what they want. They probably care more about publicity then getting the cross removed.

Well I do have to say that this one atheist group does not speak for all atheist, but this looks like it would be bad publicity. What about atheist group feeds starving kids??


It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

I highly doubt this is the case. Maybe they are not sure and want to run there atheist ideas by you to see if what they think makes sense? However, most atheists realize that Pascals Wager (punishment for non-believers) is not a good argument, so I doubt they are worried about being wrong.

If they are not sure and want to run it by me they are worried.

Most people that identify as atheists are pretty sure and probably dismiss Pascals Wager. Maybe those who are just starting to turn from Christians to Atheists may be worried at first. But, atheists probably will not want to run an idea by you. They definitely do not want to as you said "bring you down with them".

I think you misunderstood me this is about the atheist group here in the link, and why they would feel so strongly about this?
Me
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:38:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Wow you guys are deluded. You think the Atheist thinks he's wrong so he wants to make others wrong to take them down with him as a solution? I'm pretty sure a person believes their beliefs are right. If they thought that they were false, they wouldn't believe in it. In fact, I might even say it's logically impossible to simultaneously believe that something is false but at the same time believe it is true. You guys make no sense.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:43:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
@OP

They believe that they are correct. They don't doubt their Atheism, they want other people to hold rational views and not let their friends be controlled by superstition. Just like a good friend would try to save their friends from hell.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:46:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 10:38:13 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Wow you guys are deluded. You think the Atheist thinks he's wrong so he wants to make others wrong to take them down with him as a solution? I'm pretty sure a person believes their beliefs are right. If they thought that they were false, they wouldn't believe in it. In fact, I might even say it's logically impossible to simultaneously believe that something is false but at the same time believe it is true. You guys make no sense.

First I'm not talking all atheist, as you can see what I think a strong atheist is... If you disagree with my idea of a strong atheist is then show me? What makes him strong in his beliefs? Many people believe something and have to convince themselves of it many times.
Me
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:46:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

I think he doesn't want to convert you because your beliefs make you happy. I'm often the same way. I wouldn't ever want to convert my family or friends from Christianity because I know the experience of apostasy and it's not pleasant. If atheism is right, it doesn't really matter whether you're atheist or not. Either way, you're just going to end up as nothing. Might as well be as happy as you can be this life.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:50:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 10:46:40 AM, phantom wrote:
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

I think he doesn't want to convert you because your beliefs make you happy. I'm often the same way. I wouldn't ever want to convert my family or friends from Christianity because I know the experience of apostasy and it's not pleasant. If atheism is right, it doesn't really matter whether you're atheist or not. Either way, you're just going to end up as nothing. Might as well be as happy as you can be this life.

Yes that's what I think and I just wonder about others that act differently. You do sound like you really do believe what you are saying. Others I just question, or maybe its a matter do they not want others to be happy? Hum that bring a new question to my mind.
Me
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:55:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

Converting theists into atheists =/= fighting the promotion of Christianity over other religions in government.

Nice try though.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:56:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 10:46:03 AM, yoda878 wrote:
At 8/22/2012 10:38:13 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Wow you guys are deluded. You think the Atheist thinks he's wrong so he wants to make others wrong to take them down with him as a solution? I'm pretty sure a person believes their beliefs are right. If they thought that they were false, they wouldn't believe in it. In fact, I might even say it's logically impossible to simultaneously believe that something is false but at the same time believe it is true. You guys make no sense.

First I'm not talking all atheist, as you can see what I think a strong atheist is... If you disagree with my idea of a strong atheist is then show me? What makes him strong in his beliefs? Many people believe something and have to convince themselves of it many times.

Why would the Atheist have to convince himself there is no God. There's no need for himself to try and convince himself when there is no sign of God anywhere.

Also, isn't the belief in God generally thought to be the more conforting belief?

.
.
.
.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:57:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 10:55:45 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

Converting theists into atheists =/= fighting the promotion of Christianity over other religions in government.

Nice try though.

That said, the particular case you point to looks like a frivolous lawsuit.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 10:58:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

Look up the No True Scotsman fallacy. You're using it. Don't.


The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

It's his personal decision. It has nothing to do with any other atheists or atheism in general.
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:02:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 10:55:45 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

Converting theists into atheists =/= fighting the promotion of Christianity over other religions in government.

Nice try though.

But if religion- means nothing then why do you care?
Me
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:04:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 10:56:56 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/22/2012 10:46:03 AM, yoda878 wrote:
At 8/22/2012 10:38:13 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Wow you guys are deluded. You think the Atheist thinks he's wrong so he wants to make others wrong to take them down with him as a solution? I'm pretty sure a person believes their beliefs are right. If they thought that they were false, they wouldn't believe in it. In fact, I might even say it's logically impossible to simultaneously believe that something is false but at the same time believe it is true. You guys make no sense.

First I'm not talking all atheist, as you can see what I think a strong atheist is... If you disagree with my idea of a strong atheist is then show me? What makes him strong in his beliefs? Many people believe something and have to convince themselves of it many times.

Why would the Atheist have to convince himself there is no God. There's no need for himself to try and convince himself when there is no sign of God anywhere.
If its theist turned artiest at one point they would have to.

Also, isn't the belief in God generally thought to be the more conforting belief?

Why not let them be comfortable?

.
.
.
.
Me
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:05:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
If atheism is true, then yes, what we believe in this life doesn't ultimately matter after it. But it still matters during it.

Religious people trying to get the government to enact laws that make adherence to its doctrine a matter of criminality affects me and my quality, of life. Just because I believe that,when you die, that's it, it doesn't mean I'm not concerned about making the most of the only life I have.

Why would you think I wouldn't be?
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:08:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 10:46:40 AM, phantom wrote:
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

I think he doesn't want to convert you because your beliefs make you happy. I'm often the same way. I wouldn't ever want to convert my family or friends from Christianity because I know the experience of apostasy and it's not pleasant. If atheism is right, it doesn't really matter whether you're atheist or not. Either way, you're just going to end up as nothing. Might as well be as happy as you can be this life.

That being said, I value open mindedness and respect more than many things so I will always debate my position fervently until they have respect for it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:10:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 11:05:03 AM, drafterman wrote:
If atheism is true, then yes, what we believe in this life doesn't ultimately matter after it. But it still matters during it.
what did you change that made life wile living better for them?

Religious people trying to get the government to enact laws that make adherence to its doctrine a matter of criminality affects me and my quality, of life. Just because I believe that,when you die, that's it, it doesn't mean I'm not concerned about making the most of the only life I have.

Why would you think I wouldn't be?

Ok so what religious law would you like to change that would impact your life?
Me
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:12:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 11:08:14 AM, phantom wrote:
At 8/22/2012 10:46:40 AM, phantom wrote:
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

I think he doesn't want to convert you because your beliefs make you happy. I'm often the same way. I wouldn't ever want to convert my family or friends from Christianity because I know the experience of apostasy and it's not pleasant. If atheism is right, it doesn't really matter whether you're atheist or not. Either way, you're just going to end up as nothing. Might as well be as happy as you can be this life.

That being said, I value open mindedness and respect more than many things so I will always debate my position fervently until they have respect for it.

I see and you have a right to that, but i'm talking about the ones that want to take it away form others.
Me
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:18:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 11:02:10 AM, yoda878 wrote:
At 8/22/2012 10:55:45 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

Converting theists into atheists =/= fighting the promotion of Christianity over other religions in government.

Nice try though.

But if religion- means nothing then why do you care?

The religious preferences of an individual with no wish to impose his views is not the same as nation-wide movements to turn biology classes in drivel, resist societal acceptance of homosexuals and the transgendered, and stop women from obtaining medical procedures.

A poor attempt at equivocation.
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:28:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 11:18:14 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/22/2012 11:02:10 AM, yoda878 wrote:
At 8/22/2012 10:55:45 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 8/22/2012 9:06:28 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I have friends that are atheist, they really don't care that i'm not atheist. I asked one this past weekend why he never tries to convert me to be an atheist. He never argues with me or tries to convince me that I'm wrong.
He said, "Its meaningless to me, and it makes you feel good. Why would I worry so much about something that is meaningless."

That to me sounds like a true atheist, his mind is made up and he really isn't bothered with others and what they believe.

The point I'm getting at is why do some atheist care to take it away from others. Like my friend said "its meaningless to me."

Like this story if its meaningless, why do they care?
http://www.cbsnews.com...

It makes me wonder that those atheist are not as strong in their beliefs.
Maybe its because they aren't sure, so if they are wrong they want to bring everyone down with them?? IDK it up for debate.

Converting theists into atheists =/= fighting the promotion of Christianity over other religions in government.

Nice try though.

But if religion- means nothing then why do you care?

The religious preferences of an individual with no wish to impose his views is not the same as nation-wide movements to turn biology classes in drivel, resist societal acceptance of homosexuals and the transgendered, and stop women from obtaining medical procedures.

Some atheist disagree with abortion in some aspects although I cant argue that religion does play a role how one feels on that.
Many homosexuals and transgender people are religious believe it or not.

But to stay on topic do you defend the taking down of this cross?

A poor attempt at equivocation.
Me
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:02:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 11:10:26 AM, yoda878 wrote:
At 8/22/2012 11:05:03 AM, drafterman wrote:
If atheism is true, then yes, what we believe in this life doesn't ultimately matter after it. But it still matters during it.
what did you change that made life wile living better for them?

What are you taking about?


Religious people trying to get the government to enact laws that make adherence to its doctrine a matter of criminality affects me and my quality, of life. Just because I believe that,when you die, that's it, it doesn't mean I'm not concerned about making the most of the only life I have.

Why would you think I wouldn't be?

Ok so what religious law would you like to change that would impact your life?

DOMA, some states still have oaths to God part of holding office, tax exemption for religious institutions. Those are some off of the top of my head.
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:09:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/22/2012 1:02:23 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 8/22/2012 11:10:26 AM, yoda878 wrote:
At 8/22/2012 11:05:03 AM, drafterman wrote:
If atheism is true, then yes, what we believe in this life doesn't ultimately matter after it. But it still matters during it.
what did you change that made life wile living better for them?

What are you taking about?


Religious people trying to get the government to enact laws that make adherence to its doctrine a matter of criminality affects me and my quality, of life. Just because I believe that,when you die, that's it, it doesn't mean I'm not concerned about making the most of the only life I have.

Why would you think I wouldn't be?

Ok so what religious law would you like to change that would impact your life?

DOMA, some states still have oaths to God part of holding office, tax exemption for religious institutions. Those are some off of the top of my head.

But that oath is meaningless.
So you don't think its fair that a church gets a tax exemption. How is that impacting your life?
Me
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 1:20:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago

Opposing gay marriage is not gay hate,

I never said it was.

Marriage is a religious ceremony.

It is religious. The state also has rules/regulations regarding marriage. If your religion does not allow gay marriage that's fine. But, the state should allow same sex marriage.

Hate crimes towards gays is wrong in christian views also hate is evil, just because extremest are acting out does not make a name for all religious people.

It seems there are "moderate" Christians that look down upon gays unfavorably. Not just "hate crimes" but it is tough to argue that someone is tolerant of gays, yet will not allow the state to let them get married.







Well I do have to say that this one atheist group does not speak for all atheist, but this looks like it would be bad publicity. What about atheist group feeds starving kids??

The atheist group probably thinks any press that could provoke discussion is good. Atheism is not like a religion or church that people belong to. Very very few atheists actually join an atheist group. What do you mean about the poor?


I highly doubt this is the case. Maybe they are not sure and want to run there atheist ideas by you to see if what they think makes sense? However, most atheists realize that Pascals Wager (punishment for non-believers) is not a good argument, so I doubt they are worried about being wrong.



I think you misunderstood me this is about the atheist group here in the link, and why they would feel so strongly about this?

Ohh, the group probably really does not care about the cross (and most atheists in general probably don't). However, they have a chance at a case (though it may be small), so they will sue to generate publicity and discussion. The group does not want to "take away" your belief, they just don't want the government to promote a religion over others.