Jump to topic:

Can Christians have a sense of humor??

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:38:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Christians, what are your thoughts on humor?? Does the Bible indicate that we need to be serious all the time, or can we actually make a joke about religious issues??
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:50:58 PM
At 8/23/2012 8:38:15 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Christians, what are your thoughts on humor?? Does the Bible indicate that we need to be serious all the time, or can we actually make a joke about religious issues??

Humor is more a part of my desired life then God.. I hope that doesn't go misunderstood.

I saw picture one time, of peter(i think), and Jesus walking up a beach, and jesus had his arm around peter and they both were laughing histerically.. I thought, what an awesome illustration. I believe Christ was very much like a man, in that he must have laughed and joked, and probably pranked those he was around..

I think we as Christians should have a good sense of humor, and be very light hearted.. I understand this will not always be the case, since we're all totally depraved and lose it from time to time; i just think it's healthy..

That's my 2 cents any how.

dueces!
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:54:28 PM
At 8/23/2012 8:50:58 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

Humor is more a part of my desired life then God.. I hope that doesn't go misunderstood.

I saw picture one time, of peter(i think), and Jesus walking up a beach, and jesus had his arm around peter and they both were laughing histerically.. I thought, what an awesome illustration. I believe Christ was very much like a man, in that he must have laughed and joked, and probably pranked those he was around..

I think we as Christians should have a good sense of humor, and be very light hearted.. I understand this will not always be the case, since we're all totally depraved and lose it from time to time; i just think it's healthy..

dueces!

If humans are supposedly naturally sinful, AND God predetermined everything, how can you hold anyone responsible for anything?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:56:03 PM
ike, you somehow manage to ruin parties you aren't even invited to.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:59:17 PM
This question reminds me of a conversation on Seinfeld:

Jerry: I think Superman probably has a very good sense of humor.
George: I never heard him say anything really funny.
Jerry: But it's common sense. He's got super strength, super speed...I'm sure he's got super humor.

I always imagined Jesus as the epitome of human understanding, of which humor is certainly a part. That said, I've met some Christians that will not laugh at anything remotely religious as they consider any such comment as blasphemous. It's all about context, though, and they aren't the norm.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 9:00:37 PM

Ashley Judd is God's sense of humor.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 9:10:01 PM
"An elderly lady was well known for her faith and for her boldness and talking about it. She would stand on her front porch and shout, "Praise the Lord!"
Next door to her lived an atheist who would get so angry at her proclamations he would shout, "There ain't no Lord!!"
Hard times set in on the elderly lady and she prayed for God to send her some assistance. She stood on her porch and shouted, "Praise the Lord!! God, I need FOOD!! I am having a hard time. Please, Lord, send me some groceries!!"
The next morning, the lady went out on her porch and saw a large bag of groceries and shouted, "Praise the Lord!!"
The neighbor jumped from behind a bush and said, "Ha Ha!! I told you there was no Lord. I bought those groceries. God didn't."
The lady started jumping up and down and clapping her hands and saying, "PRAISE THE LORD!!! He not only sent me groceries, but He made the devil pay for them!!"

Yes we do have a sense of humour. We just aren't vulgar.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 9:10:33 PM
At 8/23/2012 8:56:03 PM, Maikuru wrote:
ike, you somehow manage to ruin parties you aren't even invited to.

You never fail to make me genuinely lol.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 9:42:45 PM
At 8/23/2012 9:10:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
"An elderly lady was well known for her faith and for her boldness and talking about it. She would stand on her front porch and shout, "Praise the Lord!"
Next door to her lived an atheist who would get so angry at her proclamations he would shout, "There ain't no Lord!!"
Hard times set in on the elderly lady and she prayed for God to send her some assistance. She stood on her porch and shouted, "Praise the Lord!! God, I need FOOD!! I am having a hard time. Please, Lord, send me some groceries!!"
The next morning, the lady went out on her porch and saw a large bag of groceries and shouted, "Praise the Lord!!"
The neighbor jumped from behind a bush and said, "Ha Ha!! I told you there was no Lord. I bought those groceries. God didn't."
The lady started jumping up and down and clapping her hands and saying, "PRAISE THE LORD!!! He not only sent me groceries, but He made the devil pay for them!!"

Yes we do have a sense of humour. We just aren't vulgar.

HAAAA...This is great!!!!
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 9:31:07 AM
Here's a test, who thinks this joke is funny?

A man dies and goes to heaven and is given a welcoming tour by Peter.

Peter takes him down a long hall and they go into the first huge room to see Hindus dancing and singing and praising Brahman. He takes him to the next room and shows him where the Muslims are praying, singing and praising Allah. In the next room they see the Jews singing and dancing and praising God. In the next room are the Buddhists who are meditating, praying and grooving to the sound of one hand clapping. As they walk further down the hall Peter whispers "We can't go in the next room, we have to sneak by and be very quiet".

After they have quietly tiptoed by that room the man asks Peter why they had to be so quiet and couldn't go in.

Peter says, "That's the Christian room, and we like to let them think they are alone up here".
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:13:28 PM
When I was a Christian, I thought it was hilarious when shows like the Simpsons or Comedians like George Carlin made fun of Christianity. Maybe that is why I became an atheist?
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:24:25 PM
At 8/24/2012 9:31:07 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

Peter takes him down a long hall and they go into the first huge room to see Hindus dancing and singing and praising Brahman. He takes him to the next room and shows him where the Muslims are praying, singing and praising Allah. In the next room they see the Jews singing and dancing and praising God. In the next room are the Buddhists who are meditating, praying and grooving to the sound of one hand clapping. As they walk further down the hall Peter whispers "We can't go in the next room, we have to sneak by and be very quiet".

After they have quietly tiptoed by that room the man asks Peter why they had to be so quiet and couldn't go in.

Peter says, "That's the Christian room, and we like to let them think they are alone up here".

LMAO.. that was pretty funny.

A little confusing, because Peter was a Christian, and only the abrahamic religions believe in that sort of heaven; the latter 2 don't recognize peter as anything significant, because he was a follower of Christ..

Joke was still funny though..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:25:13 PM
At 8/23/2012 8:50:58 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

dueces!

Laughing and smiling is very important. You can have good humor with good taste.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:26:32 PM
At 8/23/2012 9:00:37 PM, Reason_Alliance wrote:

Ashley Judd is God's sense of humor.

ROFL
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:28:44 PM

It is funny but misguided about Christians. Most the Christians I know have hugh sense of humors.
TheAsylum
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 7:41:26 PM
At 8/24/2012 2:24:25 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

A little confusing, because Peter was a Christian, and only the abrahamic religions believe in that sort of heaven; the latter 2 don't recognize peter as anything significant, because he was a follower of Christ..

This is funnier than the joke!!! BWAA HAAA HAA
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 5:57:00 AM
At 8/24/2012 2:24:25 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

As some Christians like to say about Hell...just because they don't "believe in that sort of heaven", doesn't mean they won't go there.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 6:11:29 AM
At 8/24/2012 2:28:44 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

It is funny but misguided about Christians. Most the Christians I know have hugh sense of humors.

I made no comment about whether Christians have a sense of humor or not, so how is it misguided about Christians?

I'm a practicing Christian myself, and might just be the funniest person in the known universe.

I say "practicing" because a lot of Christians tell me I'm not doing it right, perhaps the Shaman thing is a gray area or something, but she always said we're all Christians and I believe her.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 7:30:21 AM
At 8/26/2012 6:11:29 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

I made no comment about whether Christians have a sense of humor or not, so how is it misguided about Christians?

I'm a practicing Christian myself, and might just be the funniest person in the known universe.

I say "practicing" because a lot of Christians tell me I'm not doing it right, perhaps the Shaman thing is a gray area or something, but she always said we're all Christians and I believe her.

If you have Christ, faith, belief, salvation and the Word, you are doing it right. I wasnt putting you down at all. I thought it was a good joke. What I meant was that Christians are supposedly uptight. You, We show that isnt true all the time.
TheAsylum
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 11:42:35 AM
At 8/26/2012 7:30:21 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/26/2012 6:11:29 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

It is funny but misguided about Christians. Most the Christians I know have huge sense of humors.

If you have Christ, faith, belief, salvation and the Word, you are doing it right. I wasn't putting you down at all. I thought it was a good joke. What I meant was that Christians are supposedly uptight. You, We show that isn't true all the time.

Understood, didn't really think you were putting me down, just thought you saw me on the side that characterizes Christians as humorless. There are certainly some Christians like that, but it doesn't characterize Christianity at all.

I told that particular joke for a reason, I'm also a religious pluralist and a lot of Christians try to tell me that's wrong. I was serious about the Shaman, I'm one eighth Cherokee on my mom's side and got my Christianity from her. There's clearly some tradition included in our faith and I've been condemned for the syncretistic elements of my Christian faith. I've also noticed that the Christians that try to tell me I'm going to hell also tend to be the humorless ones.

I suppose the joke really was a test :)
DavidJames1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:34:39 AM
1 Timothy 1:11 tells us that God is a "Happy God"! Since we are made in his image (Gen 1:27) we can expect to have some of the qualities he does.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 2:42:24 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com...
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13