Jump to topic:

Why death is permanent

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 12:08:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's well established that once you die, you're dead,...but in many religious debates people neglect to inspect why this is so. Is it because the soul has left the corpse or is it simply because your blood has coagulated, all the cells are dead and it would be impractical to reanimate the trillions of them? If it is the former, then Christianity may or may not be true. If it is the latter, then theism, animism, dualism (all things of a spiritual nature) are false. Here we have a very demonstrable experiment...Why can't humans come back to life? If Science fully explains it then that's the end of talks of souls in heaven.

Well, scientists have observed that bacteria that have been dead for long periods of time can, given adequate conditions, reconstitute themselves and be alive once more. Meaning that their existence was fully dependent on their physical state, and no microbial ghost was involved. (http://www.fvza.org...) Scientists have no trouble explaining why human death is permanent, and they can under hypothetical conditions bring the human back to life. So I'm at a loss for where the spirit fits in, in this picture.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 12:42:56 AM
At 8/25/2012 12:08:28 AM, 000ike wrote:
It's well established that once you die, you're dead,...but in many religious debates people neglect to inspect why this is so. Is it because the soul has left the corpse or is it simply because your blood has coagulated, all the cells are dead and it would be impractical to reanimate the trillions of them? If it is the former, then Christianity may or may not be true. If it is the latter, then theism, animism, dualism (all things of a spiritual nature) are false. Here we have a very demonstrable experiment...Why can't humans come back to life? If Science fully explains it then that's the end of talks of souls in heaven.

Well, scientists have observed that bacteria that have been dead for long periods of time can, given adequate conditions, reconstitute themselves and be alive once more. Meaning that their existence was fully dependent on their physical state, and no microbial ghost was involved. (http://www.fvza.org...) Scientists have no trouble explaining why human death is permanent, and they can under hypothetical conditions bring the human back to life. So I'm at a loss for where the spirit fits in, in this picture.

The Fool: Yeah physical death is physical death by taughtology. So its obviously is not what other people mean. Not that I belief in afterlife per say, but just giving you a reminder of how you are not connecting with anybody who belief in any modern sense of after life.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 1:26:37 AM

The article says that it has the ability to reconstitute it's DNA. If it has the ability to actively perform a vital function, can it really be considered dead?? How can something that's totally dead, have ANY ability??
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 10:59:34 AM
At 8/25/2012 3:27:30 AM, FREEDO wrote:
There is no death. And there is no life.

You're on my bucket list. One of these days I'm gonna get stoned off my a$$ and challenge you to a debate.
Websterremembered
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 12:12:44 PM

the sprite is different from the soul, one could say that one has sprite or has lost such, one cannot see the "soul" or feel it, so it exists as a little understood concept of reincarnation or theism I suppose.
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 2:10:24 PM
At 8/25/2012 3:27:30 AM, FREEDO wrote:
There is no death. And there is no life.

INteresting...I've come up with a similar one: "death is not Death and life is not Life."
Archistrategos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 2:22:42 PM
And what of the children with past life memories of actual physical place and historical corroboration?