Jump to topic:

Looks Like I'm a Taoist

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:34:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yeah, I'm kind of identifying as a Taoist now. I've learned about Taoism on an academic level, but I just now am beginning to read the Tao Te Ching.

And the experience I've had just from 1-3 is...not enlightenment, exactly, but just the feeling that I've rediscovered what I've felt on an emotional/psychological level for a very long time.

While it may be a bit premature, I see no reason not to identify, and see where Taoism takes me.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:35:48 PM
Hm, we need a Taoist for diversity. So, yay!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 4:10:11 PM
Welcome to the Dao =)

When you're finished with the Tao Te Ching, I can give you the links to a few more Taoist e-books. They're much more modern and so they have a more relevant context to our lives.

Just lemme know if you're interested ^^
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 4:23:36 PM
Why Tao not Buddhist/Hinduism? From what I understand, they share certain philosophical underpinnings related to what is commonly understood as "enlightened" thinking versus western culture.

Sorry if this comes off as a horrifically eurocentric question (like asking why Christianity and not Islam).
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 4:27:17 PM
At 8/25/2012 4:23:36 PM, Wnope wrote:
Why Tao not Buddhist/Hinduism? From what I understand, they share certain philosophical underpinnings related to what is commonly understood as "enlightened" thinking versus western culture.

Sorry if this comes off as a horrifically eurocentric question (like asking why Christianity and not Islam).

It's hard to say, really. I just find Tao to have a more applicable/universal quality to it than Buddha and Hindu.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 5:13:22 PM
At 8/25/2012 3:35:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Ober, drag this boy away for religious re-education. Someone needs to teach him that since he was born in America he's suppose to follow one of the western religions.

*This is an obvious poke at those atheists who argue that a person's religion is decided by where they are born.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 5:15:41 PM
*drags DN away for disproving Atheists fail points*
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 5:16:11 PM
At 8/25/2012 5:13:22 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 8/25/2012 3:35:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Ober, drag this boy away for religious re-education. Someone needs to teach him that since he was born in America he's suppose to follow one of the western religions.

*This is an obvious poke at those atheists who argue that a person's religion is decided by where they are born.

I will say that while it originated in the East, I think it's very much so a Western religion.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 7:21:53 PM

Taoism is essentially the spirit of all the other similar eastern philosophies in it's basic form.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 7:23:15 PM
At 8/25/2012 4:27:17 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

It's hard to say, really. I just find Tao to have a more applicable/universal quality to it than Buddha and Hindu.

Hmmm....Why?? And what is this quality you speak of??
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau