Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Prayer & Church

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 1:30:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It always amazed me...the vacuity and futility in religious practices: Praying before you eat, praying before you sleep, praying when you wake up, going to church. How can the God of the Universe, the omniscient one, he who knows you better than you know yourself, require such displays for him to hear your pleads? Christian beliefs just devolve into a senseless knot of contradictions and empty emotional declarations.

If God is almighty, why does he need your praise? If God is all knowing, he should know when you're in need, why does he need you to physically demonstrate it? And then when prayers fail, no one says God failed, they say it was part of his plan, when bad things occur, they blame the devil...in the coincidental case that something you prayed for occurred, you glorify God! This religion is just so asinine sometimes I can't stand it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 1:35:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/27/2012 1:30:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
It always amazed me...the vacuity and futility in religious practices: Praying before you eat, praying before you sleep, praying when you wake up, going to church. How can the God of the Universe, the omniscient one, he who knows you better than you know yourself, require such displays for him to hear your pleads? Christian beliefs just devolve into a senseless knot of contradictions and empty emotional declarations.


He doesn't require it for salvation. It is required for obedience. Also, why think prayer is for God? I would say humans need prayer to God way more than God would ever need prayer from us.

If God is almighty, why does he need your praise?

He deserves it. He is not in need of it.

If God is all knowing, he should know when you're in need, why does he need you to physically demonstrate it? And then when prayers fail, no one says God failed, they say it was part of his plan, when bad things occur, they blame the devil...

Can you show any of that to be false with our epistemological limitations?

in the coincidental case that something you prayed for occurred, you glorify God! This religion is just so asinine sometimes I can't stand it.

Christians should glorify God whether we get what we prayed for or not.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 9:33:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Praying is kinda the most randoms thing...like folding your hands and thinking is the way to talk to God. Why fold hands? Can I use the thumbs up, or okay sign to talk to God instead?

When I was a kid I prayed all the time. I prayed at least before every meal, before bed and sometimes other times. I thought that the more I prayed, the more God would help me or other people out. Haha lol, thinking back, praying makes such little sense.

However, praying before meals I was more just being thankful that I have food to eat, cause in other countries/times people starve. Praying at night is a good way to collect thoughts for the day. But, God should not need me to tell him who needs help if he is all knowing.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 9:38:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago


He doesn't require it for salvation. It is required for obedience. Also, why think prayer is for God? I would say humans need prayer to God way more than God would ever need prayer from us.

Do you think God acts to help out those who pray?


He deserves it. He is not in need of it.

How would God feel to those who think that God either does not deserve praise or does not exist?
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 9:39:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/27/2012 1:35:36 PM, stubs wrote:
It is required for obedience.

So God is a petty control freak?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 9:49:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/27/2012 9:39:41 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/27/2012 1:35:36 PM, stubs wrote:
It is required for obedience.

So God is a petty control freak?

It's a shame that with all the interesting, moral, and peaceful religions of the world our society has to bear the stupidity of Christianity. Imagine if stubs was here talking about the Tao and how to maintain the balance in our lives, or preaching nonviolence as a Jain. That would have been much cooler; instead we get stuck with a sh!tty monotheism in our society. If you're going to be religious, at least pick a good religion; sheesh! It's too difficult to back up Christian incoherence precisely due to its incoherent nature. Oh, well. A man can dream.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 10:41:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/27/2012 1:30:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
How can the God of the Universe, the omniscient one, he who knows you better than you know yourself, require such displays for him to hear your pleads? :
He hears ad knows regardless if you do these things or not. These acts are not for Him but You. It is for you to display this to show the world including yourself who you serve.
If God is almighty, why does he need your praise?:
He doesnt, He derserves it.

If God is all knowing, he should know when you're in need, why does he need you to physically demonstrate it?:
Again He doesnt, You do. If you never God your praise and worship then how are you reconizing Him as your God, because as we know there are many Gods to choose from.
TheAsylum
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 11:57:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/27/2012 9:49:20 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 8/27/2012 9:39:41 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/27/2012 1:35:36 PM, stubs wrote:
It is required for obedience.

So God is a petty control freak?

It's a shame that with all the interesting, moral, and peaceful religions of the world our society has to bear the stupidity of Christianity. Imagine if stubs was here talking about the Tao and how to maintain the balance in our lives, or preaching nonviolence as a Jain. That would have been much cooler; instead we get stuck with a sh!tty monotheism in our society. If you're going to be religious, at least pick a good religion; sheesh! It's too difficult to back up Christian incoherence precisely due to its incoherent nature. Oh, well. A man can dream.

Ya know what, even though I'd like to, I'm not going to take snipe at this. Instead I'm just going to say a prayer for you and leave it at that...for now.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 12:02:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/27/2012 11:57:57 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 8/27/2012 9:49:20 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 8/27/2012 9:39:41 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/27/2012 1:35:36 PM, stubs wrote:
It is required for obedience.

So God is a petty control freak?

It's a shame that with all the interesting, moral, and peaceful religions of the world our society has to bear the stupidity of Christianity. Imagine if stubs was here talking about the Tao and how to maintain the balance in our lives, or preaching nonviolence as a Jain. That would have been much cooler; instead we get stuck with a sh!tty monotheism in our society. If you're going to be religious, at least pick a good religion; sheesh! It's too difficult to back up Christian incoherence precisely due to its incoherent nature. Oh, well. A man can dream.

Ya know what, even though I'd like to, I'm not going to take snipe at this. Instead I'm just going to say a prayer for you and leave it at that...for now.

I'm going to pray that God ignore medic's prayer. I'll see you in hell, Wallstreet.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...