Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 1:30:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Please never be this stupid.

Tips for not being an incorrigible douche with sh!t for brains:
1) Admit when the strong argument and evidence is not in favor of your side.
2) Acknowledge the limitations and weaknesses of a faith-based position.
3) Always address the substance, not the person making the argument.
4) Do not blatantly misrepresent what your opponent or his ideology says. That's intellectual sloth.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
CarlosMarti123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 1:44:29 AM
At 8/28/2012 1:30:51 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

4) Do not blatantly misrepresent what your opponent or his ideology says. That's intellectual sloth.

Funny how you named the topic "Dear DDO Monotheists," as if this only applied to theists. Your double standards show, Wallstreetatheist. Your prejudice shows quite clearly.

Should I make a similar thread called "Dear DDO Atheists" and list all the ways in which atheists do the same? Should I list all the fallacies and obvious flaws in reasoning I have seen atheists use on the internet? Should I follow your example by creating a one-sided, clearly biased subject?

Of course not, it would probably lead to flaming, and be a waste of forum space in general. Just like this thread.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:25:07 AM

When that is in question, one should inquire about that evidence. She did so multiple times.

When evidence that challenges an idea is found and kept out of the discussion, it's safe to question whether the evidence for that idea is really all that sound. She beleives that is happening and attempted to address that issue.

The opening of this thread supports what she was saying about how we're not suppose to question evolution...

We will if we happen to come across any. Not sure how that applies to a discussion about evolution's legitimacy.

She did that.

Not sure where she did this.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 8:20:05 AM
At 8/28/2012 1:44:29 AM, CarlosMarti123 wrote:

Funny how you named the topic "Dear DDO Monotheists," as if this only applied to theists. Your double standards show, Wallstreetatheist. Your prejudice shows quite clearly.

Should I make a similar thread called "Dear DDO Atheists" and list all the ways in which atheists do the same? Should I list all the fallacies and obvious flaws in reasoning I have seen atheists use on the internet? Should I follow your example by creating a one-sided, clearly biased subject?

Of course not, it would probably lead to flaming, and be a waste of forum space in general. Just like this thread.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 8:54:36 AM

Knock yourself out. I look forward to these "fallacies" and "obvious flaws in reasoning."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
CarlosMarti123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:12:34 PM
At 8/28/2012 8:54:36 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Knock yourself out. I look forward to these "fallacies" and "obvious flaws in reasoning."

Give me a good reason why I should waste my time doing so.

It would take an aleph-null amount of characters to do so, and aleph-one amount of time. What a waste!
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:20:23 PM
At 8/28/2012 2:12:34 PM, CarlosMarti123 wrote:

Because calling people out and then backing off makes you look like a p*ssy who can't back up their words?
It would take an aleph-null amount of characters to do so, and aleph-one amount of time. What a waste!
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:26:41 PM

Of course the closed-mindedness goes both ways, but in respect to the truth,...in all honesty, it is 10 times worse and 10 times more prevalent among theists than any other group since religion appeals more to faith and rejection of dissent (which they claim is sacrilege). Again, atheists can show those characteristics too,...but the point is that Christians do it disproportionately more and thus have a bad reputation for it,....deservedly so.

A prime example of what I mean is demonstrated in any thread involving ScottyDouglas.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:36:52 PM

One example, around 8:30 she says something along the lines of "evolution is a philosophy that leads to human rights abuse, and evolution leads to not caring about humans". The is a gross misinterpretation of the ideology behind evolution.
CarlosMarti123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:45:23 PM
At 8/28/2012 2:20:23 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 8/28/2012 2:12:34 PM, CarlosMarti123 wrote:

Because calling people out and then backing off makes you look like a p*ssy who can't back up their words?

Backing off from what, Zaradi? From doing what I explicitly condemned? From doing what I explicitly said people *shouldn't* do? Having trouble reading, Zaradi, or do you just have some sort of comprehension problem?

You seem to have some kind of trouble reading people's posts. Need lessons?
CarlosMarti123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:46:48 PM
At 8/28/2012 2:36:52 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

One example, around 8:30 she says something along the lines of "evolution is a philosophy that leads to human rights abuse, and evolution leads to not caring about humans". The is a gross misinterpretation of the ideology behind evolution.

Evolution is not an ideology or a philosophy, twocupcakes.
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:53:43 PM

............So, do you convince yourself that you contributed after you click "Submit"?
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 3:33:26 PM
At 8/28/2012 2:36:52 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

She's not saying that evolution itself "teaches" these things, and as such, is an evil concept. She's saying that those who have philosophies that are grounded in evolution are more likely to be the ones advocating for things that theists consider to be violations. Eugenics, for instance. There is a resurgence in interest in eugenics.

Her sentiments are not a misinterpretation. She has a very valid point, and one that is shared by many.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 3:38:29 PM
Dawkidude doesn't seem to be himself in this video. He's much more reserved, and seems to be a little sidetracked. It almost looks as if he might be smitten with the lady.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 3:57:24 PM
At 8/28/2012 2:26:41 PM, 000ike wrote:

Of course the closed-mindedness goes both ways, but in respect to the truth,...in all honesty, it is 10 times worse and 10 times more prevalent among theists than any other group since religion appeals more to faith and rejection of dissent (which they claim is sacrilege). Again, atheists can show those characteristics too,...but the point is that Christians do it disproportionately more and thus have a bad reputation for it,....deservedly so.

A prime example of what I mean is demonstrated in any thread involving ScottyDouglas.

Scotty is no different than any atheist, except that he's on the right side. I mean, what do you expect Ike?? Any theist who doesn't capitulate and convert to the atheist faith is closeminded?? We're not really as closeminded as people say. Even the Bible tells us to question all things. Our own beleifs qualifies under "all thing". So we're willing to re-examine when confronted with logic, or fact. Yes we defend our beleifs passionately, and are not easily swayed, but how does that make us so much different than any other group of people who beleive something, religious or other??

Scotty's a good kid, and is not a troll. He just simply beleives in God and stands up for that beleif. If you gave him a chance you guys could prolly be freinds even though you have philosophical disagreements.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:29:11 PM
At 8/28/2012 3:38:29 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Dawkidude doesn't seem to be himself in this video. He's much more reserved, and seems to be a little sidetracked. It almost looks as if he might be smitten with the lady.

He's usually quite polite. I say props to him for retaining such patience.

Anyways, I've seen the video before and Dawkins completely demolished her in a very tidy manner.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:31:33 PM
At 8/28/2012 3:57:24 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 8/28/2012 2:26:41 PM, 000ike wrote:

Scotty is no different than any atheist, except that he's on the right side. I mean, what do you expect Ike?? Any theist who doesn't capitulate and convert to the atheist faith is closeminded?? We're not really as closeminded as people say. Even the Bible tells us to question all things. Our own beleifs qualifies under "all thing". So we're willing to re-examine when confronted with logic, or fact. Yes we defend our beleifs passionately, and are not easily swayed, but how does that make us so much different than any other group of people who beleive something, religious or other??

Scotty's a good kid, and is not a troll. He just simply beleives in God and stands up for that beleif. If you gave him a chance you guys could prolly be freinds even though you have philosophical disagreements.

Scotty's a disgrace to his own views. I say that as a deist now and said it when I was Christian.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:44:08 PM

No. Scottydouglas is an intellectually bankrupt crook with not a shred of honesty in his beliefs. It isn't that he's stubborn because he isn't convinced... it's that he wants to believe what he wants to believe. He uses DDO as an opportunity to assert some radical evangelistic presence and has demonstrated that he is not open to what anyone has to say. I dislike people like him on a personal level because THEY are the driving force behind intolerance and narrow-mindedness. It is people like him that get in the way of progress, clogging the airways of our parlance with corrosive and dismissive sentiment. I will give him absolutely no respect.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:58:33 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:44:08 PM, 000ike wrote:

No. Scottydouglas is an intellectually bankrupt crook with not a shred of honesty in his beliefs. It isn't that he's stubborn because he isn't convinced... it's that he wants to believe what he wants to believe. He uses DDO as an opportunity to assert some radical evangelistic presence and has demonstrated that he is not open to what anyone has to say. I dislike people like him on a personal level because THEY are the driving force behind intolerance and narrow-mindedness. It is people like him that get in the way of progress, clogging the airways of our parlance with corrosive and dismissive sentiment. I will give him absolutely no respect.

That's what I figured...capitulate, or else!!

You, yourself, sound like a really open-minded person, btw(I hope you can recognize sarcasm).
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 5:01:52 PM

She's not saying that evolution itself "teaches" these things, and as such, is an evil concept. She's saying that those who have philosophies that are grounded in evolution are more likely to be the ones advocating for things that theists consider to be violations. Eugenics, for instance. There is a resurgence in interest in eugenics.

Her sentiments are not a misinterpretation. She has a very valid point, and one that is shared by many.

What she is saying makes no sense. The concept of evolution has nothing to do with moral philosophy. That's like saying "I do not like the theory of gravity because those who believe it are always feel down. I like to feel up.".Evolution is not a philosophy at all, its a fact. Clearly, she misinterprets evolution if she thinks it has anything to do with moral philosophy.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 5:04:06 PM

Evolution is not an ideology or a philosophy, twocupcakes.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. I apologize for being unclear. She misinterprets science for being a moral philosophy. This is such an absurd thing to do.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 5:04:54 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:58:33 PM, medic0506 wrote:

You, yourself, sound like a really open-minded person, btw(I hope you can recognize sarcasm).

No, I have a very open mind, how can I not?...I was Christian for 15 years. I know all too well the faith based emotive arguments. And I've given the intellectual arguments heavy consideration, at some point even searching for a reason to convert back! I don't dismiss Christianity, I dismiss Scottydouglas's dishonesty.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 5:06:51 PM
At 8/28/2012 5:04:54 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/28/2012 4:58:33 PM, medic0506 wrote:

No, I have a very open mind, how can I not?...I was Christian for 15 years. I know all too well the faith based emotive arguments. And I've given the intellectual arguments heavy consideration, at some point even searching for a reason to convert back! I don't dismiss Christianity, I dismiss Scottydouglas's dishonesty.

Just as you have dismissed my opinion, Immanuel Kant, Objectivism with a single flourish, religion every now and then, and so forth.

A very open mind indeed. :)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 6:01:10 PM
At 8/28/2012 5:01:52 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

What she is saying makes no sense. The concept of evolution has nothing to do with moral philosophy. That's like saying "I do not like the theory of gravity because those who believe it are always feel down. I like to feel up.".Evolution is not a philosophy at all, its a fact. Clearly, she misinterprets evolution if she thinks it has anything to do with moral philosophy.

She never said that evolution is a philosophy, she said, "philosophies that are built on evolution". Eugenics, racial cleansing, etc., are philosophies that are built on evolutionary principles.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 6:21:56 PM

I take that as a full compliment, considering who said it.

Dang, Medic, Your the man.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 6:25:37 PM
Scotty's a disgrace to his own views. I say that as a deist now and said it when I was Christian.

=D Thanks, Buddy. Love you too.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 6:26:47 PM

I love you, IKE. God bless you and your whole family. I hope you keep up the teaching brother, its so insightful.
TheAsylum