Jump to topic:

Discussion of Atheism

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:55:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've been reading the Conservapedia page on atheism, and it's a pretty good read. It should lead to some pretty good discussion. Rather than post the whole article, I'll just post a link to the article, and highlight some of the main points that I found interesting.

Now, as with any wiki, the issue of credibility comes up. I never visited the site before but I'll admit that it seems to lean heavily to the right, and the article appears to have been written from a theist perspective. That said, I'm not vouching for it's credibility on specifics such as statistical data, though I do agree with most of the sentiment.

Be warned, there is discussion of an adult nature. It talks about atheism and moral issues, including various sexual topics.

http://www.conservapedia.com...

Globally, atheism is on the decline.

Atheism has an effect on individuals, and society at large.

The meaning of atheism was diluted from "There is no God", to simply a lack of beleif in God. The motive was to shift the burden of proof solely to the theist side.

Atheism is a religion.

The 7th Judicial Court of Appeals held that atheism is a religion, for legal purposes, as well.

Atheism seeks to remove the religious liberties of other religions and replace them with their own.

Atheism's life blood, evolution, is required teaching in schools in spite of a supposed separation of church and state.

Atheists deceptively try to convince the public of evolution's credibility by using terms such as "overwhelming evidence".

Atheists are guilty of producing examples of change over time, calling it evolution, and declaring evolution a proven fact.

Atheist leaders are responsible for more mass murder than anything Christianity has done.

Charitable donation by those of faith averaged 1500/yr, those without faith averaged just 200/yr.

As I read more, I was beginning to think I would see atheists blamed for Katrina and the Japanese earthquakes too. Like I said, a slightly theistic perspective.

What say you??
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:07:13 AM
At 8/29/2012 12:02:42 AM, MilitaryAtheist wrote:
Jump in a lake. Converpedia is for fucktards.

The atheists polluted my lake.

Don't be butthurt, now you see how theists feel.

If there is misinformation in there then here's your chance to set the record straight. That's why it's called a discussion.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:07:31 AM
"Atheism is a religion"
Yeah, I just got back from [not-yet-existent word for where atheists meet for religious ceremony; library I suppose] where I used [sacred object of atheist services] and had strong [religious feelings aroused by sacred object]. Then I thanked [supernatural being of atheism; probably Darwin according to this page] for helping me become a good person through his [moral code sanctioned for all humans].

If you really believe this, challenge me to a debate on the subject for teh lulz.

"Atheism's life blood, evolution"
Clearly this is an ideal site to form an opinion on atheism.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:09:49 AM

Please stop treating people so horribly on the site. It's offensive and corrosive toward our purpose of discovering truth. Thank you.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:14:30 AM
At 8/28/2012 11:55:13 PM, medic0506 wrote:
I've been reading the Conservapedia page on atheism, and it's a pretty good read. It should lead to some pretty good discussion. Rather than post the whole article, I'll just post a link to the article, and highlight some of the main points that I found interesting.

Now, as with any wiki, the issue of credibility comes up. I never visited the site before but I'll admit that it seems to lean heavily to the right, and the article appears to have been written from a theist perspective. That said, I'm not vouching for it's credibility on specifics such as statistical data, though I do agree with most of the sentiment.

Be warned, there is discussion of an adult nature. It talks about atheism and moral issues, including various sexual topics.

http://www.conservapedia.com...

Globally, atheism is on the decline.

OK...

Atheism has an effect on individuals, and society at large.

I hope so...

The meaning of atheism was diluted from "There is no God", to simply a lack of beleif in God. The motive was to shift the burden of proof solely to the theist side.

The burden of proof is always on the person making the assertion, whether negative or positive. Having said that, Atheism SHOULD mean "The lack of a belief in God" as it's simply the opposite of Theism which seems to have always mean "Belief in God".

Atheism is a religion.

Yes, we've heard that before.
It depends on your definition of religion and also on the particular Atheist's attitude and actions regarding religion.

The 7th Judicial Court of Appeals held that atheism is a religion, for legal purposes, as well.

Sure.

Atheism seeks to remove the religious liberties of other religions and replace them with their own.

No.

Atheism's life blood, evolution, is required teaching in schools in spite of a supposed separation of church and state.

Ahhh... I see where this is going now.
Atheism =/= science.
Science =/= atheism.

Atheists deceptively try to convince the public of evolution's credibility by using terms such as "overwhelming evidence".

What's because there is overwhelming evidence.
Of course, from another perspective, there is overwhelming evidence for God and a Young Earth.
Meh.

Atheists are guilty of producing examples of change over time, calling it evolution, and declaring evolution a proven fact.

*Scientists.
And I don't see a problem with this.

Atheist leaders are responsible for more mass murder than anything Christianity has done.

Lol.

Charitable donation by those of faith averaged 1500/yr, those without faith averaged just 200/yr.

Does this include donation to religions organisations?

As I read more, I was beginning to think I would see atheists blamed for Katrina and the Japanese earthquakes too. Like I said, a slightly theistic perspective.

We are to blame. Secretly Atheists are servents of Satan.
We drink the blood of live kittens and sh!t in the sandwiches of underprivileged disabled children.

What say you??

Funny. ^_^
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:15:27 AM
At 8/29/2012 12:09:49 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Please stop treating people so horribly on the site. It's offensive and corrosive toward our purpose of discovering truth. Thank you.

Shut the fvck up d!ckhead.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:31:28 AM
Conservapedia lol
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:43:10 AM
Reading Conservapedia to learn about atheism is like watching Fox News to learn about Barack Obama, or reading Hitler to learn about the Jews. In all these cases, the information source has a direct motivation to attack/discredit the subject and comes into the presentation with the intention of portraying the subject in the worst possible light. Quite simply, they have an agenda to pursue. This should immediately disqualify all the misinformation you brought in from Conservapedia as a credible source on the subject of atheism.

That being said, it should not surprise you that none of what you posted from Conservapedia is grounded in any semblance of actuality, it's quite simply wrong and made up. Atheism/secularism is globally on the rise as the quickest glance at any poll on the subject will indicate. Atheism is obviously not a religion as it lacks a deity, prayer, and doctrine of any sort (unless you want to say that the necessity of not accepting any religion in order to be an atheist is a doctrine). Evolution is not atheism's lifeblood, as all that is required to be an atheist is to reject the supposedly divine origins of all religions, which more often than not results from stuff in holy books themselves, not science textbooks. Atheists tend not to want to remove religious liberty from religious people, they just don't want religion being forced onto them and their family, but by and large they respect the right of religious people to believe whatever fairy tale nonsense they care to.

If you really want to learn about atheism, try wikipedia, and read or youtube famous/important atheists presenting their arguments against god and religion and for secularism.
MilitaryAtheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:44:28 AM

I meant it. You mean to tell me you can tell my personality by 1 comment? I dont think it derails DDO's goals.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 2:07:40 AM

+10000
Wallstreet, you have shown me real reason to love you(no Homo) with up most respect. Very fair indeed, I will most certainly take you serious from now on.
TheAsylum
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:11:20 AM
At 8/29/2012 12:31:28 AM, phantom wrote:
Conservapedia lol
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:15:08 AM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org...
Lol, this article is unbiased ABOUT ATTACKS ON ITSELF.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:30:35 AM
Atheism is a religion, and teaching evolution is a violation of the separation of church and state, who knew right ?

I think its time some one challenge medic on his claim that atheism is a religion, I think I will do that.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:40:34 AM
At 8/29/2012 3:30:35 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Atheism is a religion, and teaching evolution is a violation of the separation of church and state, who knew right ?

I think its time some one challenge medic on his claim that atheism is a religion, I think I will do that.

Atheism is not a religion in the standard sense of the word. Atheism is a belief as any other even if it lacks belief. Then again we all believe something. To practice that belief and to teach it is on the lines of what is refered to as practicing religion. Also, there, as religion is a wide array of atheist who believe alot of different things. I consider it more of a believe and faith than standard religion.
TheAsylum
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 3:51:16 AM
After reading the conservapedia, it's interesting how they link evolution entails immortality.

That's one of the real fears here, how do we control the mob without the God said so, and if you do otherwise eternal hellfire awaits.

It kinda tells you what this is REALLY about............
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 4:02:45 AM
At 8/29/2012 3:51:16 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
After reading the conservapedia, it's interesting how they link evolution entails immortality.

That's one of the real fears here, how do we control the mob without the God said so, and if you do otherwise eternal hellfire awaits.

It kinda tells you what this is REALLY about............

What is it about, you think?
Conservapedia is as honest as anyone else and as biased too.
Well you dont have to believe in God, in fact You dont, so DONT. Cant see how anything any religious person says could effect you unless you partically think(and hope not)its true. Just like me, I believe more than partically that science is true. I live the knowns of science everyday as we all do. Though I dont think its all true EX. Macro-evolution.
TheAsylum
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 4:32:32 AM
I have challenged medic to a debate on atheism is a religion.

http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 4:56:21 AM
At 8/29/2012 4:32:32 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I declined it because you took pro. When you re-issue it, can you increase the voting period??
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:01:27 AM
At 8/29/2012 4:56:21 AM, medic0506 wrote:

I declined it because you took pro. When you re-issue it, can you increase the voting period??

Well it's a good thing you didn't accept it then on both counts. I am re-issuing it.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:08:48 AM
At 8/29/2012 5:01:27 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 8/29/2012 4:56:21 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Well it's a good thing you didn't accept it then on both counts. I am re-issuing it.

Accepted. I doubt if my argument will be up very soon. I work today and do 24 hour shifts, so I never know how much I can get done.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:18:15 AM
"Besides lacking the aforementioned benefits that religion bestows on athletes, atheists have higher rates of depression and suicide than the religious . This suggests that atheism is a detriment to sports performance."

Lol...God helps out religious athletes. I guess sports are more important to God than helping starving children in Africa.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:21:30 AM
At 8/29/2012 6:18:15 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
"Besides lacking the aforementioned benefits that religion bestows on athletes, atheists have higher rates of depression and suicide than the religious . This suggests that atheism is a detriment to sports performance."

Lol...God helps out religious athletes. I guess sports are more important to God than helping starving children in Africa.

Why cant you, I and most important the filthy rich feed starving children? Hasnt God supplied all people to feed each other? Seems that alot of people want these children to strave dont you think?
TheAsylum
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:32:07 AM

Why cant you, I and most important the filthy rich feed starving children? Hasnt God supplied all people to feed each other? Seems that alot of people want these children to strave dont you think?

We can and we do. Numerous western charities help out third world countries. With regards to the filthy rich, Warren buffet and 50 other billionaires signed a pledge giving 50% of their wealth to charity, while Warren plans of giving 99%.

However, it makes no sense that God would act to make sure religious athletes win, while allowing starving children to die.

Check out this picture

http://www.google.ca...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:36:58 AM
Medic,...is that really your idea of an interesting read or is this your way of sticking it to atheists somehow? By your own concession, the article is bias and from a Christian Conservative's perspective, and right off the bat, the man/woman is lying. Atheism is on the rise in the world and that's agreed by almost everyone. http://www.csmonitor.com...

But thank you for posting this article because you know what, it's a gleaming paragon of the self-serving dishonesty so many theists have as an argumentative trait. Saying whatever sounds nice to them and believe whatever they want to be true irrespective of the evidence available.

long story short, the article is unimpressive hogwash. Not worth discussion...not even worth reading.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:37:38 AM
Continue to blame God, when the really rich like the Rothschilds have enough money to cloth, house and feed the entire world themselves. Dont say its the population, just do a estimate and you'll see that 7 billion people could live in Austrailia with atleast a half of acre of land a piece, leaving the rest of the world untouched. No there are familes like the Rothschilds, Oppenhiemers and various elite families who continue to gain the wealth of the world at literally the exspense of us all.
TheAsylum
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:48:20 AM
At 8/29/2012 6:37:38 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
Continue to blame God, when the really rich like the Rothschilds have enough money to cloth, house and feed the entire world themselves. Dont say its the population, just do a estimate and you'll see that 7 billion people could live in Austrailia with atleast a half of acre of land a piece, leaving the rest of the world untouched. No there are familes like the Rothschilds, Oppenhiemers and various elite families who continue to gain the wealth of the world at literally the exspense of us all.

The point is that God has infinite power to help starving children. Why would God take an interest in athletes and neglect starving children. Athletes have the ability to help themselves win, while starving children need the help of others. So God takes responsibility for helping the religious athletes, and delegates the responsibility of feeding all the starving children to other humans? Also, there are African governments that are corrupt and do not give accept charity money.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:51:43 AM
Lol...this page is hilarious. I enjoyed such articles as "Atheism and Bestiality", "Atheism and Obesity" and "Atheism and Rape". It almost seems this page is a parody version of a "Crazy Christian"