Total Posts:45|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

supposed "war on religion"

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 11:20:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm fed up with the zealots thinking they can deny evolution and deny Global warming...and then actually manifest those asinine beliefs in our country's politics. Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof. Centuries, millennia of human learning and observation of the way our universe works categorized and developed into the modern world of today. How DARE they insult that work because of something that's written in some book. You can have your religion while respecting science, but you can't deny science. That's insulting to the very intelligence of humanity.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 11:21:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oh, don't get your panties in a twist, and have a Coke and some KFC.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 11:22:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
And, people don't deny evolution, GW.

I deny Man-made Global Warming, and Im not certain on all the assumptions we make with evolution, and all the timeivt takes to happen.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 11:26:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:22:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And, people don't deny evolution, GW.

I deny Man-made Global Warming, and Im not certain on all the assumptions we make with evolution, and all the timeivt takes to happen.

EVOLUTION IS NOT ASSUMPTIONS! Evolution is about a close to confirming something as law which we can get to without actually doing it (laws have to be able to be mathematically expressed). Evolution is not based on some half-assed thoughts from Dawkins. Evolution is based on a century of scientific research, which has validated all aspects of evolution, whether macro or micro.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 11:33:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:26:12 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:22:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And, people don't deny evolution, GW.

I deny Man-made Global Warming, and Im not certain on all the assumptions we make with evolution, and all the timeivt takes to happen.

EVOLUTION IS NOT ASSUMPTIONS! Evolution is about a close to confirming something as law which we can get to without actually doing it (laws have to be able to be mathematically expressed). Evolution is not based on some half-assed thoughts from Dawkins. Evolution is based on a century of scientific research, which has validated all aspects of evolution, whether macro or micro.

I'm saying how we assume it takes so long for it to happen and such.

But, I'm not debating it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 11:35:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:33:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:26:12 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:22:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And, people don't deny evolution, GW.

I deny Man-made Global Warming, and Im not certain on all the assumptions we make with evolution, and all the timeivt takes to happen.

EVOLUTION IS NOT ASSUMPTIONS! Evolution is about a close to confirming something as law which we can get to without actually doing it (laws have to be able to be mathematically expressed). Evolution is not based on some half-assed thoughts from Dawkins. Evolution is based on a century of scientific research, which has validated all aspects of evolution, whether macro or micro.

I'm saying how we assume it takes so long for it to happen and such.

But, I'm not debating it.

So you're assuming that evolution takes a shorter amount of time? Lolz.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 11:36:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've seen people make the case that evolution may take too long but making the case that it's too short is interesting. Laughable and factually incorrect, but still interesting.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 11:36:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:35:31 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:33:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:26:12 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:22:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And, people don't deny evolution, GW.

I deny Man-made Global Warming, and Im not certain on all the assumptions we make with evolution, and all the timeivt takes to happen.

EVOLUTION IS NOT ASSUMPTIONS! Evolution is about a close to confirming something as law which we can get to without actually doing it (laws have to be able to be mathematically expressed). Evolution is not based on some half-assed thoughts from Dawkins. Evolution is based on a century of scientific research, which has validated all aspects of evolution, whether macro or micro.

I'm saying how we assume it takes so long for it to happen and such.

But, I'm not debating it.

So you're assuming that evolution takes a shorter amount of time? Lolz.

Not assuming, questioning if it takes so long. I dunno TBH. Not s big expert on the subject, one reason I never debate it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2012 11:40:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:36:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:35:31 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:33:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:26:12 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:22:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And, people don't deny evolution, GW.

I deny Man-made Global Warming, and Im not certain on all the assumptions we make with evolution, and all the timeivt takes to happen.

EVOLUTION IS NOT ASSUMPTIONS! Evolution is about a close to confirming something as law which we can get to without actually doing it (laws have to be able to be mathematically expressed). Evolution is not based on some half-assed thoughts from Dawkins. Evolution is based on a century of scientific research, which has validated all aspects of evolution, whether macro or micro.

I'm saying how we assume it takes so long for it to happen and such.

But, I'm not debating it.

So you're assuming that evolution takes a shorter amount of time? Lolz.

Not assuming, questioning if it takes so long. I dunno TBH. Not s big expert on the subject, one reason I never debate it.

Evolution is very very slow.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 12:32:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Every forum you have made begins with quite an opinionated blog post, to be blunt. Of course, it serves as useful commentary but little than that, except for the battles that are engaged, the wars fought, and the skirmishes adulterating your threads. ;)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 12:40:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 12:32:26 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Every forum you have made begins with quite an opinionated blog post, to be blunt. Of course, it serves as useful commentary but little than that, except for the battles that are engaged, the wars fought, and the skirmishes adulterating your threads. ;)

Every forum post you have made is an antagonistic assault on someone's else's behavior or bandwagon commentary because you think it will give you some supporters,...to be blunt. They serve as useless policing and have little function beyond that. Maybe one day you'll learn to actually try to have discussions with other people rather than jumping on any opportunity to attack them.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 12:50:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:20:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm fed up with the zealots thinking they can deny evolution and deny Global warming...and then actually manifest those asinine beliefs in our country's politics. Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof. Centuries, millennia of human learning and observation of the way our universe works categorized and developed into the modern world of today. How DARE they insult that work because of something that's written in some book. You can have your religion while respecting science, but you can't deny science. That's insulting to the very intelligence of humanity.

I can't really tell you how much I agree with this Ike.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 10:06:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 9:55:47 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/31/2012 12:50:30 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
<---------------Deathbeforedishonor's pic
GO.GO.GO.GO, Longhorns?

Oh THAT's what you were talking about. Now I have even less respect for your Satanist conspiracy theories.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 10:10:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 10:06:09 AM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 9:55:47 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/31/2012 12:50:30 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
<---------------Deathbeforedishonor's pic
GO.GO.GO.GO, Longhorns?

Oh THAT's what you were talking about. Now I have even less respect for your Satanist conspiracy theories.

I'm just telling you the truth, I could careless if you believe actually. I aint got to answer for all the world's ignorance when its in your face. I bet she is a longhorn fan too. Why do you think that symbol is such a highly public symbol. Your naive, your naive, you think its just for funn and games. The truth hurts and is much more strange than fiction.
TheAsylum
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 10:11:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 10:10:23 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/31/2012 10:06:09 AM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 9:55:47 AM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 8/31/2012 12:50:30 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
<---------------Deathbeforedishonor's pic
GO.GO.GO.GO, Longhorns?

Oh THAT's what you were talking about. Now I have even less respect for your Satanist conspiracy theories.

I'm just telling you the truth, I could careless if you believe actually. I aint got to answer for all the world's ignorance when its in your face. I bet she is a longhorn fan too. Why do you think that symbol is such a highly public symbol. Your naive, your naive, you think its just for funn and games. The truth hurts and is much more strange than fiction.

If you say so
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 12:54:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 12:40:00 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/31/2012 12:32:26 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
Every forum you have made begins with quite an opinionated blog post, to be blunt. Of course, it serves as useful commentary but little than that, except for the battles that are engaged, the wars fought, and the skirmishes adulterating your threads. ;)

Every forum post you have made is an antagonistic assault on someone's else's behavior or bandwagon commentary because you think it will give you some supporters,...to be blunt. They serve as useless policing and have little function beyond that. Maybe one day you'll learn to actually try to have discussions with other people rather than jumping on any opportunity to attack them.

000ike, if you do certainly believe this, then I'll pity you, lol. My comment was made only on the line of vituperation (and I do agree, in a much more modest sense, with you), nothing more , lol.

The reason I made such a comment was the blatant, seething indignation that can be purely abstracted from a post like that, which I found worthy to comment on. It is, in all, an emotional expression that deigns to be neither true commentary in expressing some basic truths that have already been recapitulated in the past but seemingly seeks to reaffirm a basic tenet you have generally expounded upon in the section. Of course, this indignant spirit is certainly commendable and your cause worthy but it sometimes amounts to little more than an impression of...a lashing or a tantrum, lol.

I'm fed up with the zealots thinking they can deny evolution and deny Global warming...and then actually manifest those asinine beliefs in our country's politics. Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof. Centuries, millennia of human learning and observation of the way our universe works categorized and developed into the modern world of today. How DARE they insult that work because of something that's written in some book. You can have your religion while respecting science, but you can't deny science. That's insulting to the very intelligence of humanity.

That is, I don't disagree....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 1:08:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:20:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof.

Roll a nihilism check, ike. Actually, religion is founded on explicit faith. With science, you just have to ask enough questions to get them to acknowledge their assumptions. :P
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 2:23:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:40:27 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:36:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:35:31 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:33:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:26:12 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:22:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And, people don't deny evolution, GW.

I deny Man-made Global Warming, and Im not certain on all the assumptions we make with evolution, and all the timeivt takes to happen.

EVOLUTION IS NOT ASSUMPTIONS! Evolution is about a close to confirming something as law which we can get to without actually doing it (laws have to be able to be mathematically expressed). Evolution is not based on some half-assed thoughts from Dawkins. Evolution is based on a century of scientific research, which has validated all aspects of evolution, whether macro or micro.

I'm saying how we assume it takes so long for it to happen and such.

But, I'm not debating it.

So you're assuming that evolution takes a shorter amount of time? Lolz.

Not assuming, questioning if it takes so long. I dunno TBH. Not s big expert on the subject, one reason I never debate it.

Evolution is very very slow.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu...

Actuelly I read an article a few years ago about how the global warming is making many biologist are considering that specific things can change in very few generations. The specific example was a small group of hares that used to be white, but as the snow border moved futher north they all became brown in fewer generations than was thought possible.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:07:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:20:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm fed up with the zealots thinking they can deny evolution and deny Global warming...and then actually manifest those asinine beliefs in our country's politics.
Way to mix things up!
1) Science & Religion do NOT HAVE TO BE mutually exclusive.
2) There is plenty of evidence to show that there are other alternatives to athropogenic Climate Change.
3) Here in the US, you have the right to manifest asinine beliefs in our country's politics. Liberals & progressives have ruined country doing that very thing!

Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof.
Actually, ALL knowledge is founded on faith/axioms, otherwise it is circular reasoning. There maybe some axioms that are tautologies, but these are different than circular arguments. Regardless, these axioms are taken on faith.

Centuries, millennia of human learning and observation of the way our universe works categorized and developed into the modern world of today. How DARE they insult that work because of something that's written in some book. You can have your religion while respecting science, but you can't deny science. That's insulting to the very intelligence of humanity.
Yes, and there are many of us who are religious and constitute the VAST majority and are fed up with all of the secular changes to our society hoisted upon by the minority.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:13:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 2:23:08 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:40:27 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:36:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:35:31 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:33:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:26:12 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:22:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And, people don't deny evolution, GW.

I deny Man-made Global Warming, and Im not certain on all the assumptions we make with evolution, and all the timeivt takes to happen.

EVOLUTION IS NOT ASSUMPTIONS! Evolution is about a close to confirming something as law which we can get to without actually doing it (laws have to be able to be mathematically expressed). Evolution is not based on some half-assed thoughts from Dawkins. Evolution is based on a century of scientific research, which has validated all aspects of evolution, whether macro or micro.

I'm saying how we assume it takes so long for it to happen and such.

But, I'm not debating it.

So you're assuming that evolution takes a shorter amount of time? Lolz.

Not assuming, questioning if it takes so long. I dunno TBH. Not s big expert on the subject, one reason I never debate it.

Evolution is very very slow.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu...

Actuelly I read an article a few years ago about how the global warming is making many biologist are considering that specific things can change in very few generations. The specific example was a small group of hares that used to be white, but as the snow border moved futher north they all became brown in fewer generations than was thought possible.

Another example is the peppered moth that changed colours due to the industrial revolution. Evolution as in moving from species to species is extremely slow; evolution that constitutes small phenotypic changes in a small population can happen very quickly.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:19:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:36:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:35:31 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:33:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:26:12 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:22:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And, people don't deny evolution, GW.

I deny Man-made Global Warming, and Im not certain on all the assumptions we make with evolution, and all the timeivt takes to happen.

EVOLUTION IS NOT ASSUMPTIONS! Evolution is about a close to confirming something as law which we can get to without actually doing it (laws have to be able to be mathematically expressed). Evolution is not based on some half-assed thoughts from Dawkins. Evolution is based on a century of scientific research, which has validated all aspects of evolution, whether macro or micro.

I'm saying how we assume it takes so long for it to happen and such.

But, I'm not debating it.

So you're assuming that evolution takes a shorter amount of time? Lolz.

Not assuming, questioning if it takes so long. I dunno TBH. Not s big expert on the subject, one reason I never debate it.

Look up "punctuated equilibrium". I think that side of the current debate in evolution is the one you'd side with.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:21:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 3:19:42 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:36:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:35:31 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:33:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:26:12 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:22:29 PM, OberHerr wrote:
And, people don't deny evolution, GW.

I deny Man-made Global Warming, and Im not certain on all the assumptions we make with evolution, and all the timeivt takes to happen.

EVOLUTION IS NOT ASSUMPTIONS! Evolution is about a close to confirming something as law which we can get to without actually doing it (laws have to be able to be mathematically expressed). Evolution is not based on some half-assed thoughts from Dawkins. Evolution is based on a century of scientific research, which has validated all aspects of evolution, whether macro or micro.

I'm saying how we assume it takes so long for it to happen and such.

But, I'm not debating it.

So you're assuming that evolution takes a shorter amount of time? Lolz.

Not assuming, questioning if it takes so long. I dunno TBH. Not s big expert on the subject, one reason I never debate it.

Look up "punctuated equilibrium". I think that side of the current debate in evolution is the one you'd side with.

http://img0.joyreactor.com...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
slo1
Posts: 4,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 4:26:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/30/2012 11:20:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm fed up with the zealots thinking they can deny evolution and deny Global warming...and then actually manifest those asinine beliefs in our country's politics. Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof. Centuries, millennia of human learning and observation of the way our universe works categorized and developed into the modern world of today. How DARE they insult that work because of something that's written in some book. You can have your religion while respecting science, but you can't deny science. That's insulting to the very intelligence of humanity.

Bill Nye the science guy agrees.

http://www.newsdaily.com...

I'm rather astounded that 46% of American's believe that God created humans in the last 10,000 years exactly how they are today. (the article quotes a poll)

With the ability to read DNA, showing neanderthal genes in modern people, it amazes me that there can be such a disconnect on belief and reality. The only way arguing against all the proof is to say the evidence is work of the devils sabotage. I can't in my wildest dreams believe 46% of Americans believe the devil is planting false information to make the earth look 4 billion years old when it really is only 10,000.

The entire ability to redesign life and one day explain the recipe of life is going to cause the next big religion dilemma.

PS.
I can go up the road an hour and dig out an oyster shell that is something like 30 million years old. If that was made by the devil, it ought to be worth something on ebay.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 4:35:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 4:26:10 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:20:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm fed up with the zealots thinking they can deny evolution and deny Global warming...and then actually manifest those asinine beliefs in our country's politics. Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof. Centuries, millennia of human learning and observation of the way our universe works categorized and developed into the modern world of today. How DARE they insult that work because of something that's written in some book. You can have your religion while respecting science, but you can't deny science. That's insulting to the very intelligence of humanity.

Bill Nye the science guy agrees.

http://www.newsdaily.com...

I'm rather astounded that 46% of American's believe that God created humans in the last 10,000 years exactly how they are today. (the article quotes a poll)

With the ability to read DNA, showing neanderthal genes in modern people, it amazes me that there can be such a disconnect on belief and reality. The only way arguing against all the proof is to say the evidence is work of the devils sabotage. I can't in my wildest dreams believe 46% of Americans believe the devil is planting false information to make the earth look 4 billion years old when it really is only 10,000.

The entire ability to redesign life and one day explain the recipe of life is going to cause the next big religion dilemma.

PS.
I can go up the road an hour and dig out an oyster shell that is something like 30 million years old. If that was made by the devil, it ought to be worth something on ebay.


A few things:

1st, What proof do you have of neaderthals.
2nd, We share DNA with bananas too
3rd, How do you know that the dating methods we use are even acurate enough to trust?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 4:42:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 4:35:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 4:26:10 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:20:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm fed up with the zealots thinking they can deny evolution and deny Global warming...and then actually manifest those asinine beliefs in our country's politics. Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof. Centuries, millennia of human learning and observation of the way our universe works categorized and developed into the modern world of today. How DARE they insult that work because of something that's written in some book. You can have your religion while respecting science, but you can't deny science. That's insulting to the very intelligence of humanity.

Bill Nye the science guy agrees.

http://www.newsdaily.com...

I'm rather astounded that 46% of American's believe that God created humans in the last 10,000 years exactly how they are today. (the article quotes a poll)

With the ability to read DNA, showing neanderthal genes in modern people, it amazes me that there can be such a disconnect on belief and reality. The only way arguing against all the proof is to say the evidence is work of the devils sabotage. I can't in my wildest dreams believe 46% of Americans believe the devil is planting false information to make the earth look 4 billion years old when it really is only 10,000.

The entire ability to redesign life and one day explain the recipe of life is going to cause the next big religion dilemma.

PS.
I can go up the road an hour and dig out an oyster shell that is something like 30 million years old. If that was made by the devil, it ought to be worth something on ebay.


A few things:

1st, What proof do you have of neaderthals.

The fossil record.

2nd, We share DNA with bananas too

That doesn't disprove anything or conflict with what he said.

3rd, How do you know that the dating methods we use are even acurate enough to trust?

I could ask the same of the bible.

That's a ridiculous question to ask, because until we have more accurate methods we won't know for sure.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 4:55:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 4:42:24 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 4:35:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 4:26:10 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:20:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm fed up with the zealots thinking they can deny evolution and deny Global warming...and then actually manifest those asinine beliefs in our country's politics. Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof. Centuries, millennia of human learning and observation of the way our universe works categorized and developed into the modern world of today. How DARE they insult that work because of something that's written in some book. You can have your religion while respecting science, but you can't deny science. That's insulting to the very intelligence of humanity.

Bill Nye the science guy agrees.

http://www.newsdaily.com...

I'm rather astounded that 46% of American's believe that God created humans in the last 10,000 years exactly how they are today. (the article quotes a poll)

With the ability to read DNA, showing neanderthal genes in modern people, it amazes me that there can be such a disconnect on belief and reality. The only way arguing against all the proof is to say the evidence is work of the devils sabotage. I can't in my wildest dreams believe 46% of Americans believe the devil is planting false information to make the earth look 4 billion years old when it really is only 10,000.

The entire ability to redesign life and one day explain the recipe of life is going to cause the next big religion dilemma.

PS.
I can go up the road an hour and dig out an oyster shell that is something like 30 million years old. If that was made by the devil, it ought to be worth something on ebay.


A few things:

1st, What proof do you have of neaderthals.

The fossil record.

Prove it

2nd, We share DNA with bananas too

That doesn't disprove anything or conflict with what he said.

It forces him to elaborate on a few things:
a) What neaderthals is he comparing our DNA with, and
b) How does this information support the idea that we evolved?

3rd, How do you know that the dating methods we use are even acurate enough to trust?

I could ask the same of the bible.

You could ask the same question, however, in this thread he is making the assertion; he has the BOP. We are not talking about the bible.

That's a ridiculous question to ask, because until we have more accurate methods we won't know for sure.


Very good point, so why even insist that its partially accurate if you reallty have no idea.. if it's the best method so far, you'd be asserting that you KNOW we are on the right track; in order to know you are on the right track, you have to be [as$]erting you know what you don't know. (because you'd be puling it out of your @ss >])
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 5:28:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 4:55:09 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 4:42:24 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 4:35:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 4:26:10 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:20:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm fed up with the zealots thinking they can deny evolution and deny Global warming...and then actually manifest those asinine beliefs in our country's politics. Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof. Centuries, millennia of human learning and observation of the way our universe works categorized and developed into the modern world of today. How DARE they insult that work because of something that's written in some book. You can have your religion while respecting science, but you can't deny science. That's insulting to the very intelligence of humanity.

Bill Nye the science guy agrees.

http://www.newsdaily.com...

I'm rather astounded that 46% of American's believe that God created humans in the last 10,000 years exactly how they are today. (the article quotes a poll)

With the ability to read DNA, showing neanderthal genes in modern people, it amazes me that there can be such a disconnect on belief and reality. The only way arguing against all the proof is to say the evidence is work of the devils sabotage. I can't in my wildest dreams believe 46% of Americans believe the devil is planting false information to make the earth look 4 billion years old when it really is only 10,000.

The entire ability to redesign life and one day explain the recipe of life is going to cause the next big religion dilemma.

PS.
I can go up the road an hour and dig out an oyster shell that is something like 30 million years old. If that was made by the devil, it ought to be worth something on ebay.


A few things:

1st, What proof do you have of neaderthals.

The fossil record.

Prove it

http://humanorigins.si.edu...

2nd, We share DNA with bananas too

That doesn't disprove anything or conflict with what he said.

It forces him to elaborate on a few things:
a) What neaderthals is he comparing our DNA with, and

The Neaderthals are a single species. It's like you asking me to compare the DNA of a single species of whale- they are going to be the same.

b) How does this information support the idea that we evolved?

Because we share about 100% of our DNA with them. Molecular phylogeny supports the existence of there being a "starting" species. There is no reason for yeast to share 50% of its DNA with humans unless they are phylogenically related.

3rd, How do you know that the dating methods we use are even acurate enough to trust?

I could ask the same of the bible.

You could ask the same question, however, in this thread he is making the assertion; he has the BOP. We are not talking about the bible.

That's a ridiculous question to ask, because until we have more accurate methods we won't know for sure.


Very good point, so why even insist that its partially accurate if you reallty have no idea.. if it's the best method so far, you'd be asserting that you KNOW we are on the right track; in order to know you are on the right track, you have to be [as$]erting you know what you don't know. (because you'd be puling it out of your @ss >])

That's such a ridiculous question. Among scientists, the people who actually know about this sort of stuff, there is no debate as to the accuracy of dating methods. Your opinion on such a heavily scientific issue, which is loaded with you trying to make us disprove something before you prove it, holds no ground whatsoever.

http://www.actionbioscience.org...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
slo1
Posts: 4,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 5:29:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/31/2012 4:35:50 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 4:26:10 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/30/2012 11:20:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm fed up with the zealots thinking they can deny evolution and deny Global warming...and then actually manifest those asinine beliefs in our country's politics. Science and Religion are not equals. Religion is founded on faith, science is founded on proof. Centuries, millennia of human learning and observation of the way our universe works categorized and developed into the modern world of today. How DARE they insult that work because of something that's written in some book. You can have your religion while respecting science, but you can't deny science. That's insulting to the very intelligence of humanity.

Bill Nye the science guy agrees.

http://www.newsdaily.com...

I'm rather astounded that 46% of American's believe that God created humans in the last 10,000 years exactly how they are today. (the article quotes a poll)

With the ability to read DNA, showing neanderthal genes in modern people, it amazes me that there can be such a disconnect on belief and reality. The only way arguing against all the proof is to say the evidence is work of the devils sabotage. I can't in my wildest dreams believe 46% of Americans believe the devil is planting false information to make the earth look 4 billion years old when it really is only 10,000.

The entire ability to redesign life and one day explain the recipe of life is going to cause the next big religion dilemma.

PS.
I can go up the road an hour and dig out an oyster shell that is something like 30 million years old. If that was made by the devil, it ought to be worth something on ebay.


A few things:

1st, What proof do you have of neaderthals.
2nd, We share DNA with bananas too
3rd, How do you know that the dating methods we use are even acurate enough to trust?

I do not physically posses any proof of neanderthals. I do have quite a few very large oyster shells, ironically called devil's tonails, which I dug from dirt, in an area that is not known to be under salt water in the past 10,000 years.

I'm glad you recognize the value of DNA. It leaves you open to consider that the methods of an individual organism obtains its DNA involves propagation and should it ever be shown that a human has DNA from an organism that is not considered the same as a biblical human then you would have to believe in evolution. On a more interesting note, it has been shown that Genghis was a very active man in his campaign to concur the world. His dna via testing samples has been estimated to be in a million present day people. if I recall right a normal joe from the same time would have 1,000 decedents. i digress.

There is more than dating that suggests the world is over 10,000 years old. There are complete human records of migrations, which would be extremely difficult if not impossible to explain solely via the biblical creation story. nor does it explain the different races.

Be open to receive the spirit of truth. In other words have some faith rather than being a doubting Thomas all the time.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 5:42:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Regarding having a go at me for going with punctuated equilibrium, read your own source. The bottom of it specifically explicitly describes punctuated equilibrium, and says it is true. The debate is whether which one "is atypical of evolution". Just because I take the examples like the peppered moth adapting under stress, modern economics (product life cycle: decline unless innovation of extension strategies), and the other countless examples and say "actually, this does seem more typical", that doesn't make anyone an idiot.

Disputing gradual evolution replaced with punctuated equilibriums isn't disputing evolution's validity as a whole. Simply put, I feel punctuated equilibrium is a better explanation of the evidence.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...