Total Posts:80|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Biologist secretly rejects evolution

Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 1:04:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Columnist George Caylor once interviewed a molecular biologist for an article entitled "The Biologist," that ran on February 17, 2000, in The Ledger (Lynchburg, VA), and is in part reprinted here as a conversation between "G: (Caylor) and "J" (the scientist). We joint the piece in the middle of a discussion about the complexity of human code.

G: "Do you believe that the information evolved?"

J: "George, nobody I know in my profession believes it evolved. It was engineered by genius beyond genius, and such information could not have been written any other way. The paper and ink did not write the book! Knowing what we know, it is ridiculous to think otherwise."

G: "Have you ever stated that in a public lecture, or in any public writings?"

J: "No, I just say it evolved. To be a molecular biologist requires one to hold onto two insanities at all times. One, it would be insane to believe in evolution when you can see the truth for yourself. Two, it would be insane to say you don't believe evolution. All government work, research grants, papers, big college lectures—everything would stop. I'd be out of a job, or relegated to the outer fringes where I couldn't earn a decent living.

G: I hate to say it, but that sounds intellectually dishonest.

J: The work I do in genetic research is honorable. We will find the cures to many of mankind's worst diseases. But in the meantime, we have to live with the elephant in the living room.

G: What elephant?

G: Creation design. It's like an elephant in the living room. It moves around, takes up space, loudly trumpets, bumps into us, knocks things over, eats a ton of hay, and smells like an elephant. And yet we have to swear it isn't there!
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 1:07:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Furthermore:

Evolutionist Richard Lewontin in The New York Review,January, 1997, page 31:

We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of the failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so-stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 1:33:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I was almost convinced, until I realised that 1) Scientists have the right to disagree with consensus 2) The article is unviewable regarding primary source, and 3) The scientist remains nameless, meaning it is 90% likely that it has been made up on the spot. Especially as I've googled it and found out his first name is both Sam and Michael.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 1:38:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 1:33:28 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
I was almost convinced, until I realised that 1) Scientists have the right to disagree with consensus 2) The article is unviewable regarding primary source, and 3) The scientist remains nameless, meaning it is 90% likely that it has been made up on the spot. Especially as I've googled it and found out his first name is both Sam and Michael.

That's the first thing I noticed.
yang.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 1:48:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 1:33:28 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
I was almost convinced, until I realised that 1) Scientists have the right to disagree with consensus 2) The article is unviewable regarding primary source, and 3) The scientist remains nameless, meaning it is 90% likely that it has been made up on the spot. Especially as I've googled it and found out his first name is both Sam and Michael.

LMAO...You think Hitler hated himself?
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 1:49:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 1:38:06 PM, tulle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 1:33:28 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
I was almost convinced, until I realised that 1) Scientists have the right to disagree with consensus 2) The article is unviewable regarding primary source, and 3) The scientist remains nameless, meaning it is 90% likely that it has been made up on the spot. Especially as I've googled it and found out his first name is both Sam and Michael.

That's the first thing I noticed.

I know, right. He sure would put his name out in the spotlight to be ridiculed.
TheAsylum
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:02:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Seriously.. after what he just said you think he would give us his address or what?

He just said, saying such things publicly would result in him being ostracized from the scientific community...
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:10:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:02:06 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
Seriously.. after what he just said you think he would give us his address or what?

He just said, saying such things publicly would result in him being ostracized from the scientific community...

I know it....Good post.
TheAsylum
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:13:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:02:06 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
Seriously.. after what he just said you think he would give us his address or what?

He just said, saying such things publicly would result in him being ostracized from the scientific community...

Then why bother saying it at all? The point of this thing is to use his credential to claim something, yet the credential only makes sense if he gives his name. Otherwise I could make anything up and claim it with authority. This is lame.
yang.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:20:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:13:06 PM, tulle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:02:06 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
Seriously.. after what he just said you think he would give us his address or what?

He just said, saying such things publicly would result in him being ostracized from the scientific community...

Then why bother saying it at all? The point of this thing is to use his credential to claim something, yet the credential only makes sense if he gives his name. Otherwise I could make anything up and claim it with authority. This is lame.

Why dont you then, OH...wait you have no creditability and nothing to lose.
TheAsylum
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:20:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Unfortunately, exploiting the presence of a few, not-to-be named dissenters to demonstrate the supposed flaws in evolution, without any corresponding empirical evidence, is not the best way to undermine the evolutionary theory. :P
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:20:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

This is why I don't bother arguing religion anymore. You need to have some sort of common ground and people who believe things like the OP are valid are just so far unreachable.
yang.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?
TheAsylum
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:22:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:20:32 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:13:06 PM, tulle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:02:06 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
Seriously.. after what he just said you think he would give us his address or what?

He just said, saying such things publicly would result in him being ostracized from the scientific community...

Then why bother saying it at all? The point of this thing is to use his credential to claim something, yet the credential only makes sense if he gives his name. Otherwise I could make anything up and claim it with authority. This is lame.

Why dont you then, OH...wait you have no creditability and nothing to lose.

I'm going to ignore the fact that you're 33 and said "creditability".

What is your argument, exactly?
yang.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:25:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?
just about everything. Everyday I bet he gets high before logging onto DDO, just for the fun of seeing people's reactions to his diminished cognition.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:25:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:02:06 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
Seriously.. after what he just said you think he would give us his address or what?

He just said, saying such things publicly would result in him being ostracized from the scientific community...

If he believes in creationism, he should have the courage to stand by his convictions. Worst case scenario, people will ask him for evidence, then ridicule him when he produces none. Its not like he is in danger of physical harm.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:26:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?

Ahh...you changed it suddenly. Cool. Then you act like it was like that the whole time and try to make me look foolish. Your dishonesty speaks, it speaks. We see who is who and who must be dishonest afterall.
TheAsylum
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:26:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:25:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?
just about everything. Everyday I bet he gets high before logging onto DDO, just for the fun of seeing people's reactions to his diminished cognition.

He must be referring to LordKnuckle's sig...and as for the second part, that's a fallacious belief to imply that there are more than one evolution across different dimensions.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:26:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:25:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?
just about everything. Everyday I bet he gets high before logging onto DDO, just for the fun of seeing people's reactions to his diminished cognition.

I've heard that second hand weed smoke can cause children to carry Bibles to school.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:28:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:25:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?
just about everything. Everyday I bet he gets high before logging onto DDO, just for the fun of seeing people's reactions to his diminished cognition.

Yeah, be that way. Your morality is out in the open. God bless you.
TheAsylum
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:28:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:26:36 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?

Ahh...you changed it suddenly. Cool. Then you act like it was like that the whole time and try to make me look foolish. Your dishonesty speaks, it speaks. We see who is who and who must be dishonest afterall.

Your incoherent replies make me hard.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:30:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:28:11 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:25:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?
just about everything. Everyday I bet he gets high before logging onto DDO, just for the fun of seeing people's reactions to his diminished cognition.

Yeah, be that way. Your morality is out in the open. God bless you.

Someone who actually believes that his fellow human beings to suffer alone away from their families FOR ALL ETERNITY (because of their actions on earth) does not have the leverage to bring up morality. I consider you and your beliefs utterly sadistic.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:50:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:25:57 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:02:06 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
Seriously.. after what he just said you think he would give us his address or what?

He just said, saying such things publicly would result in him being ostracized from the scientific community...

If he believes in creationism, he should have the courage to stand by his convictions. Worst case scenario, people will ask him for evidence, then ridicule him when he produces none. Its not like he is in danger of physical harm.


I agree, it's a cowardly thing to do. However, he demonstrated a very reasonable stance on why he shouldn't announce things publicly.

I have no idea, why it's so easy to assume that religion is a part of some massive conspiracy to control the world, but when you get the scientists that are ALL in agreement, and are all closely knit, it's far fetched to believe that they are full of sh*t??

Seriously, all the negative posts to this thread so far, have demonstrated that their biased unreliable opinion corrupts their minds ability to even consider the possibility of there scientific prophets being wrong; knowingly.

Much like what the other scientist said:

The just WON'T let a divine answer in the door.. they refuse too. It's no wonder they haven't let the rest of us know about whats probably been discovered; they want to have the high position of "competent few", and they want the world to be their sheep.

Bottom line, it's very possible that these proud scientist don't know half of what they preach about publicly.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:52:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Please don't derail the thread..

As tempting as it is for you guys to smother this interesting testimony, from a qualified individual, with bullsh*t and insults; try to sack up and stick to the topic.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:54:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:28:26 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:26:36 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?

Ahh...you changed it suddenly. Cool. Then you act like it was like that the whole time and try to make me look foolish. Your dishonesty speaks, it speaks. We see who is who and who must be dishonest afterall.

Your incoherent replies make me hard.

If that is incoherent then you need to examine your educational levels.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:54:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:30:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:28:11 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:25:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?
just about everything. Everyday I bet he gets high before logging onto DDO, just for the fun of seeing people's reactions to his diminished cognition.

Yeah, be that way. Your morality is out in the open. God bless you.

Someone who actually believes that his fellow human beings to suffer alone away from their families FOR ALL ETERNITY (because of their actions on earth) does not have the leverage to bring up morality. I consider you and your beliefs utterly sadistic.

oooike, God bless you, 1 love.
TheAsylum
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2012 2:58:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/1/2012 2:30:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:28:11 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:25:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:22:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:21:49 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
At 9/1/2012 2:18:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Yes, because an unnamed "scientist" is totally a credible source.

An interview with a "biologist" who believes in Stork Hypothesis would be just as credible as yours.

You still misquoted me and what is evolution(s)?

What are you smoking?
just about everything. Everyday I bet he gets high before logging onto DDO, just for the fun of seeing people's reactions to his diminished cognition.

Yeah, be that way. Your morality is out in the open. God bless you.

Someone who actually believes that his fellow human beings to suffer alone away from their families FOR ALL ETERNITY (because of their actions on earth) does not have the leverage to bring up morality. I consider you and your beliefs utterly sadistic.


You like 12, shouldn't you be trying analyze the last episode of phineas and pherb or something?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.