Jump to topic:

Which Bible is God's Word?

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 3:09:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Which version of the bible is the correct version?

Protestant version >>> 66 book
Catholics version >>> 73 book
Ethiopian Orthodox version >>> 81 book
Eastern Orthodox version in Eastern Euorpe >>> 87 book
Greek Orthodox version >>> 75 book
The Peshitta, The Classical Syriac >>> 68 book
with the addtion of the Coptic church >>> the 151 psalm

Which one is the Word of God !!! O.o

If Christians want me to worship their God, why can't they agree on their Bible?
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
MountainDEWDjv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 3:13:25 PM
At 9/2/2012 3:09:15 PM, Microsuck wrote:

If Christians want me to worship their God, why can't they agree on their Bible?

Before any of the "Bibles" you have listed there were literally THOUSANDS of different texts used by a similar number of Christian sects. Each unique and VASTLY different than the other. Christianity really does need to make up its mind. SMH
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 3:24:51 PM
Look up "Languedocs". That denomination is my favourite of Christianity. Simone Weil on it especially.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:02:40 PM

Because quite frankly most Christians dont want to be actual Christians. KING JAMES VERSION.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:04:08 PM
At 9/2/2012 3:13:25 PM, MountainDEWDjv wrote:

Before any of the "Bibles" you have listed there were literally THOUSANDS of different texts used by a similar number of Christian sects. Each unique and VASTLY different than the other. Christianity really does need to make up its mind. SMH

Learn the facts. King James Version, original greek and hebrew texts. Look it up.
TheAsylum
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:08:41 PM
At 9/2/2012 4:02:40 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

Because quite frankly most Christians dont want to be actual Christians. KING JAMES VERSION.

Which version?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:13:54 PM
At 9/2/2012 3:13:25 PM, MountainDEWDjv wrote:

Substantiate the bolded, if you please.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:16:19 PM
At 9/2/2012 4:08:41 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Which version?

You make no sense there is only one version.....The others are knock offs.
TheAsylum
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:17:17 PM

Even King James itself is a TRANSLATION. If you're looking for the actual Bible it would certainly be the original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:17:45 PM

You do realize that that version was made after all of these. State your reasons for thinking this one is 'accurate'.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:21:34 PM
At 9/2/2012 4:17:17 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Even King James itself is a TRANSLATION. If you're looking for the actual Bible it would certainly be the original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts.

If you read english my good sir then only the King James version was directly translated from hebrew and greek but I already posted that.
TheAsylum
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:25:48 PM

The KJV, interestingly, was only written for political issues and has purposeful changes in order to give across certain viewpoints.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:26:03 PM
At 9/2/2012 4:21:34 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

If you read english my good sir then only the King James version was directly translated from hebrew and greek but I already posted that.

Sir? Firstly, I'm not a sir. Secondly, what makes the KJV more "direct" than any other translation? The KJV version came much later than many others.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:45:01 PM
This is why I believe it is very important to learn biblical languages. I know there are a lot of Christians on here that fell in love with the King James Version. I am not one of them. Leading scholars in England produced the Authorized Version which was known as the KJV. However the translators of the KJV were actually using inferior Greek texts from only a few late New Testament manuscripts. Since these scholars translated the KJV we have actual found older manuscripts which are much more likely to reflect the original text.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 4:46:57 PM

I'd love to see a source for that
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 6:47:09 PM
At 9/2/2012 4:46:57 PM, stubs wrote:

The 47 translators of the King James Version of the Bible were well established and accomplished scholars. King James I did not like the Geneva Bible nor the "official" Bishop's Bible, so he originally commissioned 54 translators to revise the scripts, paying special attention to the Hebrew and Greek original manuscripts.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 6:51:38 PM
Even Richard Dawkins has joined in the celebration. The famed British atheist activist spoke in a video produced by the King James Bible Trust in 2010. Quoth Dawkins, "You can't appreciate English literature unless you are to some extent steeped in the King James Bible. There are phrases that come from it — people don't realize they come from it — proverbial phrases, phrases that make echoes in people's minds. Not to know the King James Bible is to be, in some small way, barbarian."
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 6:55:06 PM
At 9/2/2012 4:45:01 PM, stubs wrote:
This is why I believe it is very important to learn biblical languages. I know there are a lot of Christians on here that fell in love with the King James Version. I am not one of them. Leading scholars in England produced the Authorized Version which was known as the KJV. However the translators of the KJV were actually using inferior Greek texts from only a few late New Testament manuscripts. Since these scholars translated the KJV we have actual found older manuscripts which are much more likely to reflect the original text.

I dont know where you got that. But I agree with reading the original texts themselves.
TheAsylum
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 7:06:39 PM
At 9/2/2012 6:47:09 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

The 47 translators of the King James Version of the Bible were well established and accomplished scholars. King James I did not like the Geneva Bible nor the "official" Bishop's Bible, so he originally commissioned 54 translators to revise the scripts, paying special attention to the Hebrew and Greek original manuscripts.

It is still not the only version directly translated from Hebrew and Greek. Ever since after the Vulgate around 400AD people have been translating from the Hebrew and Greek. (After the KJV that is)
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 7:08:17 PM
At 9/2/2012 6:55:06 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

I dont know where you got that. But I agree with reading the original texts themselves.

From "Grasping Gods Word: A Hands-on Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible." pg. 28,29
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 9:00:44 PM
At 9/2/2012 7:08:17 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/2/2012 6:55:06 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

From "Grasping Gods Word: A Hands-on Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible." pg. 28,29

Thanks, gotta look at it.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 9:01:39 PM
At 9/2/2012 7:06:39 PM, stubs wrote:
At 9/2/2012 6:47:09 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:

It is still not the only version directly translated from Hebrew and Greek. Ever since after the Vulgate around 400AD people have been translating from the Hebrew and Greek. (After the KJV that is)

That is true. We both stand in the same boat.
TheAsylum
TheJackel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 9:10:19 PM
Which edited version of Hebrew and creek does he think is the true word of GOD? The bible has been edited numerous times throughout its history. And sorry sir, the KJV comes from corrupt Greek texts, and so does the NT.
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 9:27:36 PM
At 9/2/2012 9:10:19 PM, TheJackel wrote:
Which edited version of Hebrew and creek does he think is the true word of GOD? The bible has been edited numerous times throughout its history. And sorry sir, the KJV comes from corrupt Greek texts, and so does the NT.

Ahh...I provided for my claim....Where's yours?
TheAsylum
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 9:30:15 PM

King James version still leaves out many books that were accepted as preaching material before the New Testament was assembled.
turn down for h'what
Angry_Bird
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 10:14:07 PM

Are you calling - Catholics - Protestants - Greek Orthodox Etc "Christians" ?
If one mearly calls themselves a "Christian" does that then qualify them as "Christian" ?
And furthermore what "Christians" desire you to worship their God ?
Angry_Bird
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2012 10:27:30 PM

In answer to your question
Only the 1611 AD King James Version and the New King James Version are translated from the correct original language manuscripts.

These two Bibles were translated from the "Textus Receptus" New Testament Greek manuscript and the "Masoretic" Hebrew Old Testament text. These two original language manuscripts are preserved, in their entirety, to this day, and must, to any serious Bible student, be the absolute and final authority for God's revelation to man in this Church age. Recently these two manuscripts have been "updated" using scraps of discarded manuscripts that read different than the originals.

Included in other translations and paraphrases are man's opinions of which discarded manuscript readings to insert in place of the Textus Receptus Greek Text and Masoretic Hebrew Text readings at selected locations in the text. If you would like to examine the alternative readings, they are noted in the Amplified Version, by Zondervan Bible publishers.