Jump to topic:

The Gospels and the Jewish Midrash

judasmaccabaeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 3:41:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have been an amateur, Gentile Scholar of the Jewish Talmud, Midrash, and other official commentaries of Judaism for around ten or so years. I do not speak Yiddish, Aramaic, or Hebrew. Even so, and given everything I have learned so far without any Jewish input or instruction, I must conclude that the history of Gentile Christian animosity towards this astounding set of documents should be seen as a superstitious, irrational assault on common sense, let alone Biblical scholarship and practical reason.

In reality, the Talmud, the Midrash, and nearly every other ancient Jewish text is literally 99.999% acceptable to nearly all forms of Christian thought and reflects a sense of ethics and morality that is, in fact, far more strict than any form of Christianity. This is especially true of sexual morality, where marital intimacy during the day, and even in the pale moonlight, was forbidden. Even masturbation was viewed as a horrific abomination deserving of the death penalty, yet that's right the death penalty. Therefore, for those Christians who still object to the .001% of the text which may, or may not, be offensive to Christianity, are lost in La-La land and, God willing, someone will finally get around to saving them from themselves. Anyway, here is ABSOLUTE PROOF of an ancient, very real Judeo/Christian tradition embedded in both the Jewish Talmud and the Christian Gospel of Matthew. For those of you who have ever been mocked or ridiculed by either Jewish or Gentile intellectuals who insist that they has never been a Judeo/Christian tradition, here is your undeniable vindication.

MIDRASH: Man has two hands, but he is not to rob with the one and give donations with the other. (Talmud, Midrash Proverbs 11)
GOSPEL: When you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:3-4)

MIDRASH: Swear not at all, not even to the truth. (Talmud, Tanchum, Vayikra)
GOSPEL: I tell you, Do not swear at all. (Matthew 5:34)

MIDRASH: One of the characteristics of the righteous is that their yes is yes, and their no is no. (Talmud, Midrash Ruth 7)
GOSPEL: Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No' be 'No', anything beyond this comes from the evil one. (Matthew 5:37)

MIDRASH: The pure of heart are God's friends. (Talmud, Genesis Rabba 41)
GOSPEL: Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. (Matthew 5:8)

MIDRASH: If you intend to put man to rights, put yourself to rights first. (Talmud, Midrash Psalms 53)
GOSPEL: Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?...You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. (Matthew 7:3-5)

MIDRASH: Have no compunction to chastise where chastisement is called for. It will produce not animosity, but eventually love and peace. (Talmud, Genesis Rabba 54)
GOSPEL: Moreover if your brother should trespass against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he will hear you, you have gained your brother. (Matthew 18:16)

MIDRASH: Adultery can be committed with the eyes. (Talmud, Leviticus Rabba 23)
GOSPEL: I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matthew 5:28)

MIDRASH: The Guardian Angels are always near God's throne. (Talmud, Tanchum, Sazrea)
GOSPELS: Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say unto you that in Heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father who is in Heaven. (Matthew 18:10)

MIDRASH: God lends eloquence to the suppliant. (Talmud, Midrash Proverbs 15)
GOSPEL: Do not worry about how or what you are to say, for it will be given you in that hour what you are to say. For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. (Matthew 10:19-20)

MIDRASH: Sacrifices atoned only for sins committed in error not for presumptuous sin, justice and righteousness atone for all sins. (Deuteronomy Rabba 5)
GOSPEL If only you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless. (Matthew 12:7)

MIDRASH: God will wipe away tears from off all faces (Isaiah 25:8). This means from the faces of non-Jews as well as Jews. (Genesis Rabba 26)
GOSPEL: Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, My beloved in whom my soul is well pleased. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he shall declare judgment to the Gentiles....And in his name shall the Gentiles hope. (Matthew 12:18-21)

MIDRASH: He who hears himself abused (or cursed) and does not retaliate may be called a saintly man. (Midrash Psalms 16)
GOSPEL: You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matthew 5:38)

MIDRASH: The proverb says, 'If you give out your money in usury you will lose what you gain as well as your original capital.' (Leviticus Rabba 3)
GOSPEL: For whoever has, to him shall be given and he shall have abundance, but for whoever has not, from him shall be taken away even that which he has. (Matthew 13:12)

MIDRASH: When the prophets went forth on their mission the Holy Spirit rested upon them, awed and surprised their audience, and inspired them with respect for the prophets. (Numbers Rabba 10)
GOSPEL: Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness...These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: 'Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give.' (Matthew 10:1-8)

MIDRASH: The prophets formerly recorded the good deeds performed by man, but now Elijah and the Messiah records them and then God puts His seal on the documents. (Leviticus Rabba 34)
GOSPEL: For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John. And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come. (Matthew 11:13-14)

These passages, even after being translated into English, are proof positive that the Christian Gospels were definitively Jewish in origin, reflecting mainstream Jewish thought and sentiment as seen during the lifetime of Rabbi Joshua (Jesus Christ) that has continued, parallel with Christianity for thousands of years since that time.

May the LORD God bless you in the name of St. Judas Maccabaeus.
You are Peter, and upon this Rock, I will build my Church and the Gates of Hell will not prevail against it.

- Matthew 16:18
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2014 11:27:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2012 3:41:41 AM, judasmaccabaeus wrote:
I have been an amateur, Gentile Scholar of the Jewish Talmud, Midrash, and other official commentaries of Judaism for around ten or so years. I do not speak Yiddish, Aramaic, or Hebrew. Even so, and given everything I have learned so far without any Jewish input or instruction, I must conclude that the history of Gentile Christian animosity towards this astounding set of documents should be seen as a superstitious, irrational assault on common sense, let alone Biblical scholarship and practical reason.

In reality, the Talmud, the Midrash, and nearly every other ancient Jewish text is literally 99.999% acceptable to nearly all forms of Christian thought and reflects a sense of ethics and morality that is, in fact, far more strict than any form of Christianity. This is especially true of sexual morality, where marital intimacy during the day, and even in the pale moonlight, was forbidden. Even masturbation was viewed as a horrific abomination deserving of the death penalty, yet that's right the death penalty. Therefore, for those Christians who still object to the .001% of the text which may, or may not, be offensive to Christianity, are lost in La-La land and, God willing, someone will finally get around to saving them from themselves. Anyway, here is ABSOLUTE PROOF of an ancient, very real Judeo/Christian tradition embedded in both the Jewish Talmud and the Christian Gospel of Matthew. For those of you who have ever been mocked or ridiculed by either Jewish or Gentile intellectuals who insist that they has never been a Judeo/Christian tradition, here is your undeniable vindication.

MIDRASH: Man has two hands, but he is not to rob with the one and give donations with the other. (Talmud, Midrash Proverbs 11)
GOSPEL: When you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:3-4)

MIDRASH: One of the characteristics of the righteous is that their yes is yes, and their no is no. (Talmud, Midrash Ruth 7)
GOSPEL: Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No' be 'No', anything beyond this comes from the evil one. (Matthew 5:37)

MIDRASH: If you intend to put man to rights, put yourself to rights first. (Talmud, Midrash Psalms 53)
GOSPEL: Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?...You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. (Matthew 7:3-5)

MIDRASH: Have no compunction to chastise where chastisement is called for. It will produce not animosity, but eventually love and peace. (Talmud, Genesis Rabba 54)
GOSPEL: Moreover if your brother should trespass against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he will hear you, you have gained your brother. (Matthew 18:16)

GOSPEL: I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matthew 5:28)

MIDRASH: The Guardian Angels are always near God's throne. (Talmud, Tanchum, Sazrea)
GOSPELS: Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say unto you that in Heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father who is in Heaven. (Matthew 18:10)

GOSPEL: Do not worry about how or what you are to say, for it will be given you in that hour what you are to say. For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. (Matthew 10:19-20)

MIDRASH: Sacrifices atoned only for sins committed in error not for presumptuous sin, justice and righteousness atone for all sins. (Deuteronomy Rabba 5)
GOSPEL If only you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless. (Matthew 12:7)

MIDRASH: God will wipe away tears from off all faces (Isaiah 25:8). This means from the faces of non-Jews as well as Jews. (Genesis Rabba 26)
GOSPEL: Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, My beloved in whom my soul is well pleased. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he shall declare judgment to the Gentiles....And in his name shall the Gentiles hope. (Matthew 12:18-21)

MIDRASH: He who hears himself abused (or cursed) and does not retaliate may be called a saintly man. (Midrash Psalms 16)
GOSPEL: You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matthew 5:38)

MIDRASH: The proverb says, 'If you give out your money in usury you will lose what you gain as well as your original capital.' (Leviticus Rabba 3)
GOSPEL: For whoever has, to him shall be given and he shall have abundance, but for whoever has not, from him shall be taken away even that which he has. (Matthew 13:12)

MIDRASH: When the prophets went forth on their mission the Holy Spirit rested upon them, awed and surprised their audience, and inspired them with respect for the prophets. (Numbers Rabba 10)
GOSPEL: Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness...These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: 'Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give.' (Matthew 10:1-8)

MIDRASH: The prophets formerly recorded the good deeds performed by man, but now Elijah and the Messiah records them and then God puts His seal on the documents. (Leviticus Rabba 34)
GOSPEL: For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John. And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come. (Matthew 11:13-14)

These passages, even after being translated into English, are proof positive that the Christian Gospels were definitively Jewish in origin, reflecting mainstream Jewish thought and sentiment as seen during the lifetime of Rabbi Joshua (Jesus Christ) that has continued, parallel with Christianity for thousands of years since that time.

Wow thank you for this insightful post, i wish more posts were like this online.
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 12:33:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/4/2012 3:41:41 AM, judasmaccabaeus wrote:

I have to agree with Truth. Thank You for giving me a little more hope for the religion forum :)