Jump to topic:

Questions for Theists

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:36:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just a question for all of the theists (Christians in particular). I have a feeling that this has been asked before somewhere in the DDO forums.

How can you possibly be happy in Heaven as a Christian, when your friends and family are atheists and living in hell for eternity.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:44:30 PM
At 9/4/2012 8:36:40 PM, famer wrote:
Just a question for all of the theists (Christians in particular). I have a feeling that this has been asked before somewhere in the DDO forums.

How can you possibly be happy in Heaven as a Christian, when your friends and family are atheists and living in hell for eternity.

That is a very difficult question, with very a counter-intuitive answer.

We will be happy about it, is what the bible says.

We will have a bit of knowledge revealed to us, we will no longer think the way we do; we will have more answers, and thus a better judgement..

We won't be happy that they are in hell, but that God brought justice to the world.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:45:36 PM
At 9/4/2012 8:44:30 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

We will have a bit of knowledge revealed to us, we will no longer think the way we do; we will have more answers, and thus a better judgement..

We won't be happy that they are in hell, but that God brought justice to the world.

How is that justice, exactly? How does believing in the supernatural equate to being a good person?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:47:30 PM

There could be cruel people who believe in God, and nice people who do not. If your God judges people based on whether people believe in him or not, he is not worthy of worship anyway. He's an insecure, and a petty God.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:56:46 PM

I don't think it's possible for us to answer that from a human perspective. In the afterlife we won't be as we are now, and things will make more sense.

As for family and friends, I'm guessing that I will miss them and still love them, but I guess I rationalize it by saying that at least they had the freedom to make their own choices. It's unfortunate that they chose wrong, but they were told the truth so it's not like they didn't know.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:58:41 PM
At 9/4/2012 8:47:30 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

There could be cruel people who believe in God, and nice people who do not. If your God judges people based on whether people believe in him or not, he is not worthy of worship anyway. He's an insecure, and a petty God.

I would never make that call, nor would I feel comfortable judging people based on the short view of their lives that I could possibly have.

As far as I've ever seen, most people are the same; Good sides and Bad sides.

As far as my God is concerned, we're all bad, and if he didn't choose who would believe in him, none of us would.

What's petty, is your whining.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 9:04:33 PM

There could be cruel people who believe in God, and nice people who do not.

Cruel and nice by who's measure?? God is the ultimate morality so it's not about who you think is a good person, or a cruel person.

If your God judges people based on whether people believe in him or not, he is not worthy of worship anyway. He's an insecure, and a petty God.

And you(not just you but any human) are worthy of judging a God??
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 9:12:29 PM
At 9/4/2012 9:04:33 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Cruel and nice by who's measure??

Common sense. Rapists are cruel, people who help old ladies across the street are nice ect...Would you like me to spell out your A,B, C's as well?

God is the ultimate morality so it's not about who you think is a good person, or a cruel person.

Lol @ God is the ultimate morality. Can you even begin to demonstrate such a huge claim with any evidence? Or, are you just going to assert things out the ying yang?

If your God judges people based on whether people believe in him or not, he is not worthy of worship anyway. He's an insecure, and a petty God.

I'm not judging a God, I'm judging the idea of a God (humans can judge ideas). He would actually have to exist in order for me to judge him.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 9:13:13 PM
At 9/4/2012 8:58:41 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

I would never make that call, nor would I feel comfortable judging people based on the short view of their lives that I could possibly have.

As far as I've ever seen, most people are the same; Good sides and Bad sides.

As far as my God is concerned, we're all bad, and if he didn't choose who would believe in him, none of us would.

What's petty, is your whining.

Pointing out how petty your idea of God is not whining, you just interpret it as such because you do not like to hear it.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 9:14:58 PM

Well, there is the libertarian answer... They made their own choices and have to live with them, while I feel sorry, I will not let it effect my day.

There is the Religious answer... Life with God is happier than Life with family.

Real answer, I will not know until I get there.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 9:19:00 PM
I do not think we remember them or this would not happen.
Revelation 21:4 "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 9:57:54 PM
At 9/4/2012 9:12:29 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Common sense. Rapists are cruel, people who help old ladies across the street are nice ect...Would you like me to spell out your A,B, C's as well?

Suppose this nice person helps grandma across the street and carries her groceries for her until they reach an alleyway. He then shoves her in the alley and reveals himself as RT's cruel rapist?? Good and evil are not as simple to define as we think. They both exist in each of us.

God is the ultimate morality so it's not about who you think is a good person, or a cruel person.

Lol @ God is the ultimate morality. Can you even begin to demonstrate such a huge claim with any evidence? Or, are you just going to assert things out the ying yang?

If He weren't He wouldn't be worthy of being called God.

I'm not judging a God, I'm judging the idea of a God (humans can judge ideas). He would actually have to exist in order for me to judge him.

lol...It's kinda funny to think about the colossal waste of time it would be to come on a forum and argue against something that you know doesn't exist. I can't imagine going to a forum to argue against the invisible pink unicornigator (the unicorn evolved).
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 10:34:06 PM
At 9/4/2012 9:57:54 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Suppose this nice person helps grandma across the street and carries her groceries for her until they reach an alleyway. He then shoves her in the alley and reveals himself as RT's cruel rapist?? Good and evil are not as simple to define as we think. They both exist in each of us.

Talk about splitting hairs. The point is that what we call morality should be based on collective ethical reasoning and not based on authority. I do not find it reasonable for God to punish people just because they don't believe in him, instead of judging people purely on how they treat others. You probably agree too, but we all know you submit to whatever you are taught because you don't like the idea of the human race having control over morality instead of a transcendent authority, no matter how absurd the morality is.

My point, is that to claim he was the ultimate moral authority would have to demonstrate his existence. Either way, I'm sure Deists would disagree with your statement that only a being who is the ultimate moral authority should be called God. Lets say I believed in an intelligent creator of the universe, would I be an Atheist, because the being I believed in wasn't the ultimate moral authority?

lol...It's kinda funny to think about the colossal waste of time it would be to come on a forum and argue against something that you know doesn't exist.

Nice straw-man. When did I claim to know God didn't exist?

I can't imagine going to a forum to argue against the invisible pink unicornigator (the unicorn evolved).

Me neither. I never claimed there was anything logically contradictory with the idea of the Christian God, like there obviously is with the idea of an "invisible" "pink" x. Once more, you are creating straw-mans. Please, try to address what I type.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 10:48:28 PM
At 9/4/2012 8:56:46 PM, medic0506 wrote:

I don't think it's possible for us to answer that from a human perspective. In the afterlife we won't be as we are now, and things will make more sense.

As for family and friends, I'm guessing that I will miss them and still love them, but I guess I rationalize it by saying that at least they had the freedom to make their own choices. It's unfortunate that they chose wrong, but they were told the truth so it's not like they didn't know.

The Fool: You can't intentionally choose Hell. Desire is for satification. That is the motivation in itself. . IF you are hungry, aka desire to eat. Ect.

Thus its not possible to choose hell freely. Its a contradiction to what motivation is.

In fact it is threatened!!!. That is not free
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 10:56:23 PM
The Fool: In fact Christianity makes people immoral. Because it teached people that God is Good. But what about what IS GOOD. You have to know that first before you can know that God is good.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 10:59:18 PM
At 9/4/2012 9:57:54 PM, medic0506 wrote:

lol...It's kinda funny to think about the colossal waste of time it would be to come on a forum and argue against something that you know doesn't exist. I can't imagine going to a forum to argue against the invisible pink unicornigator (the unicorn evolved).

The Fool: Oh yeah descrbe to us in a way that you are actually transfering Any information to even grasp what you are talking about.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 11:01:56 PM
Christian annihilationists or universalists would say that no one (or, at least, no human being) is in hell forever. They are either a) destroyed or b) saved eventually.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 11:03:49 PM
At 9/4/2012 11:01:56 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Christian annihilationists or universalists would say that no one (or, at least, no human being) is in hell forever. They are either a) destroyed or b) saved eventually.

I think b) is the correct answer in any case, but a) can be a legitimate option given the alternative.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 11:44:29 PM
At 9/4/2012 11:03:49 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

I think b) is the correct answer in any case, but a) can be a legitimate option given the alternative.

The Fool: If God is all Good, powerful and does what he pleases then we could not resist believing him nore does there have to be a hell. He doesn't have to hurt people. If he does its because it pleases him.

THe Fool: Are you able to refute argument? Pop
I am bored. I need somebody to argue with.
But I am curious of a response. I have never heard an argument againt this.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 11:52:30 PM
The Fool: If God is all Good, powerful and does what he pleases then we could not resist believing him nore does there have to be a hell. He doesn't have to hurt people. If he does its because it pleases him.

Is freedom for every living thing, good?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 11:57:51 PM
At 9/4/2012 11:52:30 PM, TheAsylum wrote:

The Fool: Freedom by threating us hell. If we can't graspt the possibity of him making sense. That not Free. That is worse then putting a Gun to my head. I would rather have AIDss.. That can't be what freedom is.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 12:00:53 AM
At 9/4/2012 11:44:29 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 9/4/2012 11:03:49 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

THe Fool: Are you able to refute argument? Pop
I am bored. I need somebody to argue with.
But I am curious of a response. I have never heard an argument againt this.

Not sure what there is to refute. I agree that one day all will believe him in one day. However, getting to that point where will freely come into a relationship with him in it is going to take longer and be a much more difficult path for some then others. It'd be hell (both literally and figuratively).
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 12:02:51 AM
At 9/4/2012 11:57:51 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: Freedom by threating us hell. If we can't graspt the possibity of him making sense. That not Free. That is worse then putting a Gun to my head. I would rather have AIDss.. That can't be what freedom is.

I do no think it is a threat. I asked a question though, I did not make a statement.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 1:01:55 AM
At 9/4/2012 11:57:51 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

That is freedom. You have the freedom to choose which path you take. Of course there may be consequences, but you have to ask if having that freedom is worth the consequences.

Freedom does not mean free from the consequences of your choices. For example, just because you get burned by touching fire does not mean that you are not free to grab at it or not.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkman1015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 2:22:26 AM

Well in the Qu'ran when it talks of the revelation there is a man who is one good dead short of getting into Heaven. He asks his mother and family and friends to spare a good deed, and they all reply as they don't know him. This would lead me to think that perhaps our memory of those we knew and loved here is erased or altered in a manner but as I have not died and experienced it this is just a theory based of 1 passage out the Qu'ran so forgive me if I can't support it to a greater extent.
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 2:26:23 AM
Based on the idea that heaven is perfect, there are only three possibilities to this issue, all of which are highly uncomfortable for most people.

1. Only people who would be ok with the thought of their loved ones being in hell will be able to enter heaven.

2. Once entering heaven, someone who would have cared has their character changed so that they wouldn't.

3. Once entering heaven, their memory is erased or their knowledge of their loved ones being in hell is erased.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DavidJames1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 2:47:39 AM

The teaching of an immortal soul that lives after death, either to be punished forever, or live forever in peace, is not a biblical teaching, but can be traced back to the ancient Babylonians!

Rather the bible says at Ecclesiastes 9:5, 6, 10 says that the living are conscious that they will die, but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all!
Ezekiel 18:20 says that the soul that is sinning - it itself will die! Not fly or fry!

Hope this helps
adontimasu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:01:10 AM

By not believing in a Heaven and accepting reincarnation instead. :|
People seem unable to tell the difference between "Christian" and "Theist".
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:07:47 AM
At 9/5/2012 5:01:10 AM, adontimasu wrote:

By not believing in a Heaven and accepting reincarnation instead. :|
People seem unable to tell the difference between "Christian" and "Theist".

Well I taking the assumption that Christianity (in particular) exists for certain, what would actually happen in this kind of situation.

Dunno what you were talking about people getting confused between the difference of "Christian" and "Theist". No saying I'm a theologist or anything, but isn't a theist someone who believes in a god to be of existant and a Christian someone who basically believes in the Christain God (no idea how to explain this).

So basiclaly put, a Christian is a Theist, but a Theist is not necessarily a Christian.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:09:13 AM
At 9/5/2012 2:26:23 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Based on the idea that heaven is perfect, there are only three possibilities to this issue, all of which are highly uncomfortable for most people.

1. Only people who would be ok with the thought of their loved ones being in hell will be able to enter heaven.

2. Once entering heaven, someone who would have cared has their character changed so that they wouldn't.

3. Once entering heaven, their memory is erased or their knowledge of their loved ones being in hell is erased.

Considering God is "perfect", would that mean if he does any of the following actions, it'd actually be justified?