Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Atheist Propganda

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2009 10:15:50 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I apologize if this has been discussed before.

In another forum topic, Kleptin asked Nik whether or not he thought it was his duty to try and stop his friend from becoming a Mormon. I replied by saying that if I were in that situation, I might not consider it my DUTY to stop my friend, per se, but I would definitely question my friend's motives. That got me thinking about the atheist agenda. Why is it that Christians can impose God everywhere and most people just accept it, but atheists don't really go around trying to convert people to atheism (DDO doesn't count)?

For instance, Christians are everywhere with their signs, bumper stickers, billboards, protests, demonstrations... Hell, it's even commonplace to say "God bless you" whether after a sneeze or simply as a well-wishing to someone. I went to a huge concert festival this summer, and outside was a guy with a huge sign about everyone there going to Hell. Do you ever see atheists go to a festival... or better yet, a Christian gathering of some sort... and hold up signs telling them they're doomed or something similar? No.

Now I know that two wrongs don't make a right, but I think that maybe atheists ought to somehow campaign (respectively) for their cause. This isn't to infringe upon people's right to freedom of religion (though that is what Christians do to us), but rather as a societal, political or scientific goal. What do you think? Is this possible? Should it be done? I must say that like the theist a-holes on this site, I may be guilty as well of wishing to convert people to MY side of the theology spectrum: atheism. I'd like to think I'm not a douche about it though.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2009 12:26:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/14/2009 10:15:50 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I apologize if this has been discussed before.

In another forum topic, Kleptin asked Nik whether or not he thought it was his duty to try and stop his friend from becoming a Mormon. I replied by saying that if I were in that situation, I might not consider it my DUTY to stop my friend, per se, but I would definitely question my friend's motives. That got me thinking about the atheist agenda. Why is it that Christians can impose God everywhere and most people just accept it, but atheists don't really go around trying to convert people to atheism (DDO doesn't count)?

For instance, Christians are everywhere with their signs, bumper stickers, billboards, protests, demonstrations... Hell, it's even commonplace to say "God bless you" whether after a sneeze or simply as a well-wishing to someone. I went to a huge concert festival this summer, and outside was a guy with a huge sign about everyone there going to Hell. Do you ever see atheists go to a festival... or better yet, a Christian gathering of some sort... and hold up signs telling them they're doomed or something similar? No.

Now I know that two wrongs don't make a right, but I think that maybe atheists ought to somehow campaign (respectively) for their cause. This isn't to infringe upon people's right to freedom of religion (though that is what Christians do to us), but rather as a societal, political or scientific goal. What do you think? Is this possible? Should it be done? I must say that like the theist a-holes on this site, I may be guilty as well of wishing to convert people to MY side of the theology spectrum: atheism. I'd like to think I'm not a douche about it though.

Atheism is frowned upon form a moral viewpoint. That's why very few politicians in power are atheists.

Atheists do need to create groups to supprot each other. They're not discriminated against, per say, but Christians have the same groups, so Atheists should do the same, to educate Atheists in terms of evolution, Origins of the universe, etc.

The first one will be called a plot to destroy America and a Socialist Red Shirt movement by Glenn Beck.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2009 12:36:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I don't see the need for atheists to prosletyse.

It is simply an intellectual position, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with religion it does not need to be destroyed it only needs to be mitigated when it reaches extremes and put properly in it's place.

We need to concentrate on judging people on the quality of their character and their contributions to society, the fact that someone believes in God is as relevant as whether or not they go paintballing or collect stamps. All should be regarded simply as hobbies.

Race, religion, sexuality... all these things are what people do, not what people are.

Now I am going to be a bit patronising, a lot of you are young, middle class, atheistic students, to you the fact that someone does not understand or know that the universe is billions of years old or how evolution works or is 'proven' is a matter of concern. You probably think such people are idiots, or brainwashed. The simple fact is these things are academic... those with academic inclinations will learn them, those who don't maybe won't.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2009 12:51:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Yes. Atheists should attempt to "convert" theists by rational discussion. There is no need to be pushy. Oftentimes people are just unquestioningly theists. Sometimes discussing the topic with them will help put the issue in a way they had never before considered.

Note: I have never lost a friend as a result of such discussions. I have, however, led some to look into the matter further upon which some have "converted" to atheism.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2009 12:59:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I don't think there is anything called the "atheist agenda," simply because there is no organized mass-movement that wants direct actions to change some things.

I say this because I've never seen an atheist care that much about proselytizing to theists. Most atheists are more concerned about simply defending themselves to worry about changing someone's mind.

Personally I see no reason to; why push something on someone? All you should do is present the information - if they agree, they'll come to you of their own accord. If you try to force them, then it will just breed resentment and possibly drive people even farther away.

Besides, we don't need to be pushy - we're the ones that make the most sense.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2009 1:11:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
We should get people to go door to door

"Do you not want to hear the word of god?"

A minimum of 1,000 converts per day.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 4:34:00 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/14/2009 12:26:36 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/14/2009 10:15:50 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I apologize if this has been discussed before.

In another forum topic, Kleptin asked Nik whether or not he thought it was his duty to try and stop his friend from becoming a Mormon. I replied by saying that if I were in that situation, I might not consider it my DUTY to stop my friend, per se, but I would definitely question my friend's motives. That got me thinking about the atheist agenda. Why is it that Christians can impose God everywhere and most people just accept it, but atheists don't really go around trying to convert people to atheism (DDO doesn't count)?

For instance, Christians are everywhere with their signs, bumper stickers, billboards, protests, demonstrations... Hell, it's even commonplace to say "God bless you" whether after a sneeze or simply as a well-wishing to someone. I went to a huge concert festival this summer, and outside was a guy with a huge sign about everyone there going to Hell. Do you ever see atheists go to a festival... or better yet, a Christian gathering of some sort... and hold up signs telling them they're doomed or something similar? No.

Now I know that two wrongs don't make a right, but I think that maybe atheists ought to somehow campaign (respectively) for their cause. This isn't to infringe upon people's right to freedom of religion (though that is what Christians do to us), but rather as a societal, political or scientific goal. What do you think? Is this possible? Should it be done? I must say that like the theist a-holes on this site, I may be guilty as well of wishing to convert people to MY side of the theology spectrum: atheism. I'd like to think I'm not a douche about it though.

Atheism is frowned upon form a moral viewpoint. That's why very few politicians in power are atheists.

Atheists do need to create groups to supprot each other. They're not discriminated against, per say, but Christians have the same groups, so Atheists should do the same, to educate Atheists in terms of evolution, Origins of the universe, etc.

The first one will be called a plot to destroy America and a Socialist Red Shirt movement by Glenn Beck.

Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people and actually care about their eternal destiny.
The unregenerate (atheists included) do not. Cannot.
The Cross.. the Cross.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 9:35:00 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/16/2009 4:34:00 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 9/14/2009 12:26:36 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/14/2009 10:15:50 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I apologize if this has been discussed before.

In another forum topic, Kleptin asked Nik whether or not he thought it was his duty to try and stop his friend from becoming a Mormon. I replied by saying that if I were in that situation, I might not consider it my DUTY to stop my friend, per se, but I would definitely question my friend's motives. That got me thinking about the atheist agenda. Why is it that Christians can impose God everywhere and most people just accept it, but atheists don't really go around trying to convert people to atheism (DDO doesn't count)?

For instance, Christians are everywhere with their signs, bumper stickers, billboards, protests, demonstrations... Hell, it's even commonplace to say "God bless you" whether after a sneeze or simply as a well-wishing to someone. I went to a huge concert festival this summer, and outside was a guy with a huge sign about everyone there going to Hell. Do you ever see atheists go to a festival... or better yet, a Christian gathering of some sort... and hold up signs telling them they're doomed or something similar? No.

Now I know that two wrongs don't make a right, but I think that maybe atheists ought to somehow campaign (respectively) for their cause. This isn't to infringe upon people's right to freedom of religion (though that is what Christians do to us), but rather as a societal, political or scientific goal. What do you think? Is this possible? Should it be done? I must say that like the theist a-holes on this site, I may be guilty as well of wishing to convert people to MY side of the theology spectrum: atheism. I'd like to think I'm not a douche about it though.

Atheism is frowned upon form a moral viewpoint. That's why very few politicians in power are atheists.

Atheists do need to create groups to supprot each other. They're not discriminated against, per say, but Christians have the same groups, so Atheists should do the same, to educate Atheists in terms of evolution, Origins of the universe, etc.

The first one will be called a plot to destroy America and a Socialist Red Shirt movement by Glenn Beck.

Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people and actually care about their eternal destiny.
The unregenerate (atheists included) do not. Cannot.

Agreed.

Clearly, Bill Gates, who identifies himself as an atheist, and has created one of the worlds largest and most successful charity organizations, doesnt do it out of Love, or because he cares about the thousands of starving children that get to eat a meal tonight. Clearly Bill Gates is just doing it because he wants to waste millions trying to LOOK like he loves other people.

Yeah, right. The fact that we have atheist couples that love each other, completely demolishes your argument.

Thanks for that bald assertion. Have a nice day.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 3:17:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I think we do need to spread anti-religious arguments so people can realize that religion is false. We can't let irrational, religious statements run amuck unchallenged like "Jesus is the ONLY way." It's time to put religion to shame publically so everyone gets the message and end this virus for good.

.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
LB628
Posts: 176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 4:02:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It probably wont be effective though. Atheism has no real appeal, beyond "this is what we think is true". There is no benefit to be gained, other than correctness, but even that depends on your current position.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 5:03:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Christians evangelize because it is in their doctrine. It is part of their very religion to spread it as much as possible. There's nothing about atheism that necessitates spread, which is why it doesn't take place.

Regretfully, most Christians point to the widespreadness of Christianity as evidence that it is truth. In actuality, it's because spreading the belief is almost a necessity in calling oneself a Christian.

And they say Bernie Madoff was responsible for the biggest Ponzi scheme of all time :P
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 7:58:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/16/2009 4:34:00 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people and actually care about their eternal destiny.
The unregenerate (atheists included) do not. Cannot.

I take offense to that sir. Maybe you should learn to give respect to your fellow man, regardless of their belief, before you start saying others are the ones that can't love or care about people.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 9:41:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If one were to group all atheist (i.e. those who do't think the same way as a Christian) into 1 group then one might consider addressing them the same way, no?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2009 11:46:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Is being agnostic frowned upon in the same light.
Or being a deist.

in order which is more frowned upon...

atheist
agnostic
deist
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 12:03:49 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/16/2009 4:34:00 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people and actually care about their eternal destiny.
The unregenerate (atheists included) do not. Cannot.

Even though i do not completely believe in Christianity, I believed Christianity put me on the course to what I believe today.
To a certain point, I believe it taught me morality, though I do not know if it deserves all the credit for who I am today.

If i look at life, I really believe that if it were not for people's religion, this world would be lead by a bunch of drug dealing gangsters. (At least in my mind, that is how it is played out... it may be low riding tan people for you.)

I am torn between being agnostic and deist.

I look at life and cannot believe that it was all just a big bang. To do so, I think, it is a person's stubbornness and need to stick it to whatever "being" helped out.
Probably for setting rules they believe are not fair, or that they do not want to follow.

I think that the church is corrupt, some of the bible is outrageous, and people do take it to far, but I cannot deny that looking at nature I see something a little more then science…

You guys may think I am a moron and that this post does not even belong here, but I felt that it did.
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 12:45:52 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/16/2009 11:46:25 PM, comoncents wrote:
Is being agnostic frowned upon in the same light.
Or being a deist.



in order which is more frowned upon...

atheist
agnostic
deist

Definitely atheist.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 3:20:44 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/17/2009 12:45:52 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:
At 9/16/2009 11:46:25 PM, comoncents wrote:
Is being agnostic frowned upon in the same light.
Or being a deist.



in order which is more frowned upon...

atheist
agnostic
deist

Definitely atheist.

Even agnostics tend to frown at them.

Personally, I don't know for sure if God exists or not, but I hold it about as likely as gravity is to reverse it's direction today. I do however view any form of organized religion as evil, and can probably therefore be construed as being an anti-theist. Which is probably even more frowned upon. :-I
So prove me wrong, then.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 4:19:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people and actually care about their eternal destiny.
The unregenerate (atheists included) do not. Cannot.


Amen to that.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 4:31:47 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/17/2009 4:19:08 AM, GodSands wrote:
Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people and actually care about their eternal destiny.
The unregenerate (atheists included) do not. Cannot.


Amen to that.

This high-horse, absolutely ignorant, and at times absolutely offensive, kind of uppity we're-better-than-you attitude from Christians that turns every single person away from your beliefs.

Who wants to be apart of anything that people who clearly act like a bunch of first class asses are?

There is much better representatives of the Christian faith than you two. You should learn from those people, the ones who actually show respect for others, rather than whomever you're following now.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 4:33:50 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/17/2009 4:19:08 AM, GodSands wrote:
Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people and actually care about their eternal destiny.
The unregenerate (atheists included) do not. Cannot.


Amen to that.

Yea... atheists can't feel love... okay sure...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 5:35:49 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/17/2009 4:19:08 AM, GodSands wrote:
Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people

So why don't you?
So prove me wrong, then.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 5:47:10 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/17/2009 5:35:49 AM, regebro wrote:
At 9/17/2009 4:19:08 AM, GodSands wrote:
Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people

So why don't you?

What are you talking about, screaming 'u R gONna go to hEL!' is the highest act of love and compassion! I feel positively moist.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 6:34:45 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/17/2009 4:31:47 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/17/2009 4:19:08 AM, GodSands wrote:
Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people and actually care about their eternal destiny.
The unregenerate (atheists included) do not. Cannot.


Amen to that.

This high-horse, absolutely ignorant, and at times absolutely offensive, kind of uppity we're-better-than-you attitude from Christians that turns every single person away from your beliefs.

Who wants to be apart of anything that people who clearly act like a bunch of first class asses are?

There is much better representatives of the Christian faith than you two. You should learn from those people, the ones who actually show respect for others, rather than whomever you're following now.

Oh.. it's OUR fault you reject Christ so that you can hide in the darkness and carry on sinning.. I see..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 8:18:48 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/17/2009 6:34:45 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Oh.. it's OUR fault you reject Christ so that you can hide in the darkness and carry on sinning.. I see..

LOL!!! I'd just like everyone to read that over for a second. And then just. LOL.
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 8:20:11 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/17/2009 8:18:48 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 9/17/2009 6:34:45 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Oh.. it's OUR fault you reject Christ so that you can hide in the darkness and carry on sinning.. I see..

LOL!!! I'd just like everyone to read that over for a second. And then just. LOL.

What better place is there to sin!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2009 6:50:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/17/2009 4:19:08 AM, GodSands wrote:
Because Christians (by the power of the Holy Spirit and for the Glory of Jesus Christ) have the ability to love other people and actually care about their eternal destiny.
The unregenerate (atheists included) do not. Cannot.


Amen to that.

Tools.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:47:27 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/14/2009 12:51:55 PM, JBlake wrote:
"Gentle persuasion" would be a better way to put it than "propaganda" or "proselytizing".

Or as Jewish people would describe it: "gentile persuation"!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2009 3:58:41 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I wouldn't worry about evangelical Christians, Orthodox Jews, devout Muslims, etc. if they didn't try and indoctrinate children. Why not let them grow up unmolested by religious fanatics and fallow them to form their own opinions when they are adults?

If when they are older they decide that a mystical being created this planet 6,000 years ago and we are all just playthings put on the Earth to glorify this deity and that science is no more than a tool of some evil spirit, fine.

I don't think many rational adults would reach that conclusion though and that's why the Bible, Torah and Koran merchants prey on little kiddies instead.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...