Jump to topic:

Wanna be Christians....why?

logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:08:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Since the earliest days of Christianity the Good New was the Incarnation and Salvific action of the Christ. Why is it so important for many to deny the good news and claim to be Christian?

Put more Simply....Jesus is God is the sine qua non of ALL Christians.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:22:18 PM
At 9/6/2012 2:08:33 PM, logicrules wrote:
Since the earliest days of Christianity the Good New was the Incarnation and Salvific action of the Christ. Why is it so important for many to deny the good news and claim to be Christian?

To clarify the question, are you asking why we claim to be Christians even though Jesus is claimed to be God??
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:24:57 PM
At 9/6/2012 2:22:18 PM, medic0506 wrote:

To clarify the question, are you asking why we claim to be Christians even though Jesus is claimed to be God??

No....Why do those who think Jesus in NOT god claim to be CHristians...ie wanna be Christian.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:25:59 PM
At 9/6/2012 2:24:49 PM, TheAsylum wrote:
I'm gathering, that because we are not Roman Catholic, read the Bible and believe it, as the Word of God, we are not Christian?

Evangelicals, Baptists, Main Stream Protestant...ALL hold that Jesus is God.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:27:28 PM
At 9/6/2012 2:24:49 PM, TheAsylum wrote:
I'm gathering, that because we are not Roman Catholic, read the Bible and believe it, as the Word of God, we are not Christian?

you gather incorrectly.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:30:45 PM
At 9/6/2012 2:24:57 PM, logicrules wrote:

No....Why do those who think Jesus in NOT god claim to be CHristians...ie wanna be Christian.

Ohh..I agree.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:32:05 PM

Hmmm. Never heard of anyone who did that.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:32:25 PM
At 9/6/2012 2:30:45 PM, TheAsylum wrote:

Ohh..I agree.

Go figure....:)
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:35:08 PM

Ohh..I agree.

Did you mean, "Why do those who think Jesus IS not God claim to be CHristians...ie wanna be Christian?"
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:36:15 PM
At 9/6/2012 2:35:08 PM, TheAsylum wrote:

Ohh..I agree.

Did you mean, "Why do those who think Jesus IS not God claim to be CHristians...ie wanna be Christian?"

yes....typing error
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:38:28 PM
At 9/6/2012 2:36:15 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 9/6/2012 2:35:08 PM, TheAsylum wrote:

Ohh..I agree.

yes....typing error

Thanks, I know who you are refering and I agree.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:42:28 PM

Depends on the source of your authority. If you subscribe exclusively to the Bible, then then you may disagree with a great many other Christians, as there are a great many concepts asserted by Christian dogma and contradicted by Christian doctrine.

If Christians subscribed to a single, unalterable, unquestionable paradigm, there would be no denominations. In fact, there wouldn't even be Christianity. Only judaism.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:44:42 PM
At 9/6/2012 2:42:28 PM, Ren wrote:

Depends on the source of your authority. If you subscribe exclusively to the Bible, then then you may disagree with a great many other Christians, as there are a great many concepts asserted by Christian dogma and contradicted by Christian doctrine.

If Christians subscribed to a single, unalterable, unquestionable paradigm, there would be no denominations. In fact, there wouldn't even be Christianity. Only judaism.

Nice try but no. There is always a first principle, and for Christians it is that Jesus is God...that was the cause of all the hoopla with judaism. Ergo, to be Christian is to accept that jesus is God...after that its gets a bit varied...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:51:18 PM
The first principle of christianity is that "Jesus is God?" That's funny, most theologians would say it's John 3:16-17, which makes no mention of that. As far as my belief is concerned, it's something like the entire book of Romans, but again, within that book, there is no mention of that.

The distinction between Jews and Christians is not a disagreement on who yaweh is, it's about who the Messiah is. As far as Jews are concerned, he's still on his way, but both agree that he is an avatar, not a direct manifestation.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 3:06:23 PM
At 9/6/2012 2:51:18 PM, Ren wrote:
The first principle of christianity is that "Jesus is God?" That's funny, most theologians would say it's John 3:16-17, which makes no mention of that. As far as my belief is concerned, it's something like the entire book of Romans, but again, within that book, there is no mention of that.

The distinction between Jews and Christians is not a disagreement on who yaweh is, it's about who the Messiah is. As far as Jews are concerned, he's still on his way, but both agree that he is an avatar, not a direct manifestation.

Wow....so "Most Theologians", you apparently are familiar with all of them to know what most say. The consensus of Scripture scholarship considers Paul a bit of a nut, that being said one who accepts John necessarily tolerates Paul as John is the antithesis of Paul theologically and personally. (see First lettr of John...its directed at Paul et al) Lastly, yaweh? naw the name of God wasnt the issue it was the incarnation of same in the person of Jesus, as I stated.
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 3:12:45 PM

The distinction between Jews and Christians is not a disagreement on who yaweh is, it's about who the Messiah is. As far as Jews are concerned, he's still on his way, but both agree that he is an avatar, not a direct manifestation.:
Those theologians, would be wrong and the Bible itself says so...

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 3:23:33 PM
At 9/6/2012 3:06:23 PM, logicrules wrote:

Wow....so "Most Theologians", you apparently are familiar with all of them to know what most say. The consensus of Scripture scholarship considers Paul a bit of a nut, that being said one who accepts John necessarily tolerates Paul as John is the antithesis of Paul theologically and personally. (see First lettr of John...its directed at Paul et al) Lastly, yaweh? naw the name of God wasnt the issue it was the incarnation of same in the person of Jesus, as I stated.

Paul started as Saul, a serial killer, and changed his name to Paul when he gave his life to God. Don't see how that's relevant.

Yaweh was a reference to an identity within the Bible that was distinct from Jesus, so I don't see your point.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 3:24:30 PM
At 9/6/2012 3:12:45 PM, TheAsylum wrote:

The distinction between Jews and Christians is not a disagreement on who yaweh is, it's about who the Messiah is. As far as Jews are concerned, he's still on his way, but both agree that he is an avatar, not a direct manifestation.:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

I don't get it. Explain please?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 3:26:39 PM
I'm going to assume your "most theologians" comment wasn't meant to be facetious, given how embarrassing it would make it that you immediately followed that sentence with, "the consensus of scripture scholarship..."
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 3:58:27 PM
At 9/6/2012 3:26:39 PM, Ren wrote:
I'm going to assume your "most theologians" comment wasn't meant to be facetious, given how embarrassing it would make it that you immediately followed that sentence with, "the consensus of scripture scholarship..."

My goodness....it was an identification of, to be contrasted with the use of a discipline. The advancement of Scripture scholarship in the last hundred years exceeds the previous 1500, leading to a rethinking of long held beliefs. I find it fascinating that many seem to ignore it in deference to mythology.

I have no idea what most doctors think, I do know that the consensus is that smoking cigarettes isn't good.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 4:32:10 PM
At 9/6/2012 3:58:27 PM, logicrules wrote:

My goodness....it was an identification of, to be contrasted with the use of a discipline. The advancement of Scripture scholarship in the last hundred years exceeds the previous 1500, leading to a rethinking of long held beliefs. I find it fascinating that many seem to ignore it in deference to mythology.

I have no idea what most doctors think, I do know that the consensus is that smoking cigarettes isn't good.

Uhhh.

Theologians = Scripture scholarship.

Let me give you an example of the same error made in a different context:

"Wow....so "Most Physicists", you apparently are familiar with all of them to know what most say. The consensus of Quantum scholarship considers..."

Anyway, you get the point. It's not relevant, really. I would have much preferred you replied to my preceding posts and ignored this one...
TheAsylum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 4:34:22 PM
At 9/6/2012 3:24:30 PM, Ren wrote:
At 9/6/2012 3:12:45 PM, TheAsylum wrote:

I don't get it. Explain please?

Jesus Christ is the Word, Jesus Christ is God. God of the OT and NT.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 4:39:21 PM
At 9/6/2012 4:32:10 PM, Ren wrote:
At 9/6/2012 3:58:27 PM, logicrules wrote:

Uhhh.

Theologians = Scripture scholarship.

Let me give you an example of the same error made in a different context:

"Wow....so "Most Physicists", you apparently are familiar with all of them to know what most say. The consensus of Quantum scholarship considers..."

Anyway, you get the point. It's not relevant, really. I would have much preferred you replied to my preceding posts and ignored this one...

mmmm no. A theologian is one granted the teaching authority of a specific "denomination". A Scripture scholar is one who devoted his life to the study of the texts in a multidisciplinary way. term usage is essential to communication therefore relevant.